PDA

View Full Version : I surrender to Twitter

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I hated the idea of Twitter for a long time, but I surrender. I recently realized it can be used for interesting stuff other than posting what I'm eating for lunch.

I'm currently planning to implement Twitter functionalities on my FoxMediaCenter extension. Basically I want to allow the user to receive TV shows reminders via Twitter and also to post their favorite programme on their accounts.

So, what do you think about using Twitter to check TV schedules or post your favorite programme schedules?

It seems there are a lot of Twitter readers, widgets, browser extensions out there. I would like to know how do you read tweets and if you follow any TV related twitter accounts?

ZankerH
November 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I "surrendered" a couple of times and tried twitter, but I've yet to find a real use for it that doesn't include announcing my bowel movements to the internet.

bonfire89
November 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I'm holding out strong.. but the pressure is growing. facebook does everything twitter does and more. and I had facebook first.

Keyper7
November 8th, 2009, 12:20 AM
First of all, you are the author of FoxMediaCenter? I don't use it but it seems like a pretty damn impressive extension, my compliments.

Now on to the questions.

So, what do you think about using Twitter to check TV schedules or post your favorite programme schedules?

Sounds cool. I don't follow official Twitter accounts from TV channels because they tend to spam too much stuff I'm not interested in. But I always listen to what my friends have to say about upcoming TV things, and a structured way of doing this sounds interesting.

It seems there are a lot of Twitter readers, widgets, browser extensions out there. I would like to know how do you read tweets and if you follow any TV related twitter accounts?

I already answered the second question, I think TV channels tend to spam their Twitter followers too much. As for the first question, I use Gwibber, a microblog reader available in the Ubuntu repositories. It's nicely integrated with Notify-OSD and the indicator-applet, has a nice and clean interface and supports other protocols such as Facebook (in case bonfire89 is interested).

I "surrendered" a couple of times and tried twitter, but I've yet to find a real use for it that doesn't include announcing my bowel movements to the internet.

Your mind sounds like a really disturbing place.

lovinglinux
November 8th, 2009, 01:08 AM
First of all, you are the author of FoxMediaCenter?

Yep.

I don't use it but it seems like a pretty damn impressive extension, my compliments.

Thank you.

Sounds cool. I don't follow official Twitter accounts from TV channels because they tend to spam too much stuff I'm not interested in.

There is a TV guide twitter for Brazilian TV channels (http://twitter.com/revel_ul). The company behind it is the same that provides xmltv programming for users (I use it) and for cable TV providers. They do not spam the tweets, but they include several channels I don't subscribe, so it's not very useful for me.

But I always listen to what my friends have to say about upcoming TV things, and a structured way of doing this sounds interesting.

That's interesting. I'm thinking about adding a "Tweet This!" button to the extension, so all you will have to do is select the TV program and click it. The extension would post a tweet with the programme title, category, starting time, channel and perhaps actors. I'm also thinking about adding an option to classify the programme with stars or something and perhaps adding a short comment.

I already answered the second question, I think TV channels tend to spam their Twitter followers too much. As for the first question, I use Gwibber, a microblog reader available in the Ubuntu repositories. It's nicely integrated with Notify-OSD and the indicator-applet, has a nice and clean interface and supports other protocols such as Facebook (in case bonfire89 is interested).

Thanks I will check it out. I'm currently using Twitbin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7631) Firefox extension.

forrestcupp
November 8th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I hate Twitter and the idea of it, but your use of Twitter is actually interesting and useful. That concept could be expanded to give reminders for a lot of things.

lovinglinux
November 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I hate Twitter and the idea of it, but your use of Twitter is actually interesting and useful. That concept could be expanded to give reminders for a lot of things.

Thanks. I was also thinking about a collaborative movie recommendation system, but that could result in a lot of spam. I guess allowing the users to create their own programme tweets is a better idea.

pwnst*r
November 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM
i laugh at those that think twitter is only for posting "omghies here's what i'm doing rai nao!"

nice extension OP!

lovinglinux
November 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
nice extension OP!

Thank you.

Naiki Muliaina
November 8th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I got into Twitter during an art exhibition in Second Life called Burning Life. Subscribed to the #burninglife channel and found it fantastic! I must admit im gettin into Twitter now, even if i dont tweet much myself ^^

collinp
November 8th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I use Twitter for keeping updated on things going on in the social world. I use Facebook and my 6 other services for everything else.

BTW, nice extension.

Frak
November 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I like twitter because I can let everybody know when I take a breath.

BTW, nice extension. Sites a bit sluggish, but nothing that can't be fixed.

yoasif
November 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hey guys -- saw that you guys were playing with twitter and wondered if you guys might want to play with my twitter-like site:

http://stocks29.homelinux.net:4000/

It's in alpha -- we are going to get a domain name soon and go live on a real domain and server, but we think it has more functionality than twitter and would love some comments.

hellmet
November 8th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm still in denial. I will NOT use Twitter unless I understand its use in daily life.

Frak
November 8th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I'm still in denial. I will NOT use Twitter unless I understand its use in daily life.
To let others know what you are doing in your daily life.

schauerlich
November 8th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I mostly use it to follow people that I already subscribe to other places - youtube, mostly. They tend to link to behind the scenes videos, or talk about projects they're doing, stuff like that. I also follow Felicia Day and Adam Savage/Grant Imahara for similar reasons.

Eisenwinter
November 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
So am I the only one who doesn't have any account on a social network website?

RiceMonster
November 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Probably not. I wish I could say I don't either, but I have a facebook account I'm reluctant to delete :(.

Naiki Muliaina
November 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Hmms ill bite! Some people just use it as feeds. you also get channels that are like mass feeds.

Some tweets discuss things in the news (people like discussin big events)
Some tweets are constant flows of puns (got some good jokes from there)
Some tweets are to keep people updated at events (fashion shows maybe with pictures linked in)
Some tweets are just cool things people see in RL or the interwebs
Some tweet feeds are traffic reports

Hmms theres 5 uses! Theres a lot more!

The Funkbomb
November 8th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It does have some legitimate uses.

For me, I don't even want to know what's happening in my life.

la3r
November 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Nope I do not have any either ;) Email, cellphone and skype/messenger is more than enough :eek: EDIT: Oh and Google Wave now, which I hope will replace at least skype and messenger, and maybe even email... okay maybe not tomorrow.

Twitter = lol. But I guess I can see it's uses in a web service like yours lovinglinux even if it's not for me... (I don't watch television, like EVER)

Starlight
November 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I thought about Twitter since for some reason it's so popular, but I have no idea what I could use it for, so I've never even registered. I just can't think of anything I'd do once I've registered... I don't even know anyone else personally who uses it, so if I posted something there, no one would read it anyway. o.O But I generally like social networking sites, I have a Facebook and I love it, it's so much fun. :D

Paqman
November 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
To let others know what you are doing in your daily life.

That's one use for it, but by no means the only one.

All it is is a way of publishing short messages. How you use that is up to you. Personally, I unfollow anyone with a rubbish signal/noise ratio. There's plenty of other folks tweeting interesting, useful stuff.

lovinglinux
November 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all comments about the extension. Nice to have some positive feedback.

It does have some legitimate uses.

For me, I don't even want to know what's happening in my life.

:lolflag:

ZankerH
November 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
i laugh at those that think twitter is only for posting "omghies here's what i'm doing rai nao!"

nice extension OP!

My challenge stands. Name one way in which it is useful for me. I've yet to find one.

la3r
November 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
My challenge stands. Name one way in which it is useful for me. I've yet to find one.

Well, why do you want to find one?

I am myself proud to say, I don't need or have any use for twitter :D

ZankerH
November 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Well, why do you want to find one?

I don't and I can't be bothered to, but I am however genuinely interested in what people use twitter for besides "announcing what they're doing right now".

Sealbhach
November 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I sometimes look at the Ubuntu group on identica, sometimes there's interesting stuff on there:

http://identi.ca/group/ubuntu

pwnst*r
November 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM

i follow tech sites/articles and others. engadget, /., Formula One, Wired, etc.

coolbrook
November 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Encounter a message board admin or moderator with a God complex, a problem with your opinion, and abuse their admin rights? They can't censor you on the social networks. Blogging and micro-blogging are king.

RabbitWho
November 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
i don't really understand the concept... but i like reading what Alain de Botton and Amy Tan right, they're good at one liners.

Not a place for me to get google wave invites though :(

Naiki Muliaina
November 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I don't and I can't be bothered to, but I am however genuinely interested in what people use twitter for besides "announcing what they're doing right now".

Cooo someones grumpy? ^^ Read the thread, see post 19, my last post, and you will see what people use twitter for other than announcing what they are doing ^^

Keyper7
November 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM

But that's entirely up to you. This is like saying "name a song I will like".

Usefulness is a concept that varies from person to person.

But if you want to know why I use Twitter, I see it as an hybrid between blogging and instant messaging. To illustrate this, I'll use a tweet I received yesterday from a friend:

"Arrived late at home. Traffic unusually high at streets X and Y. Avoid them if you can."

It's blogging and not instant messaging because:

- it's not directed at anyone in particular;
- you don't expect everyone to reply, care or even read, but someone might and for that someone the info might be useful (ex: the streets mentioned are usually very calm, it's not something I would check before leaving home)

It's instant messaging and not blogging because:

- it's short, the main point is the fact itself, not details or opinions
- it's expected to be read immediately, it's not very useful to read one day or even a few hours later

There's a lot of other types of message that fit this profile: witty comments about current news, links to interesting articles or simply random thoughts.

Still yesterday, I posted a very casual, not-expected-to-be-useful, tweet about how I was having problems with accessing a site of a certain company. I didn't really expect to accomplish anything with it, was just randomly tweeting.

A few moments after, I received a tweet from a an employee of this very company stating that everything seemed to be fine at their end and asking for more details of the problems I was having. I didn't reply to him directly, but I did test the company's site in downforeveryoneorjustme.com and proceeded to tweet about how the site seemed fine for DFEOJM and the problem seemed to be in my end.

A few moments after, a friend tweeted me to thank me for showing DFEOJM to him, which he didn't know about and found useful.

Twitter is, for me, the internet version of those random thoughts you say out loud for the colleagues in your office to hear. "hey, this video is cool", "did you see that movie, I really like it", "geez, the president screws up more each day, doesn't he?". Sometimes it's not useful at all, sometimes makes people smile, sometimes shows people something they didn't know and sometimes triggers interesting discussions.

ratcheer
November 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I hated the idea of Twitter for a long time, but I surrender. I recently realized it can be used for interesting stuff other than posting what I'm eating for lunch.

I still hate Twitter because most people just seem to post what they are eating for lunch.

Tim

Keyper7
November 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I still hate Twitter because most people just seem to post what they are eating for lunch.

That's more of a problem with the people you choose to follow than with Twitter itself.

pwnst*r
November 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
That's more of a problem with the people you choose to follow than with Twitter itself.

^^spot on. complain to the people you follow (your friends), not us.

Naiki Muliaina
November 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM
So i have fully dived into Twitter this week. I think i have thought of why i like it so much...

It has become for me an IRC room.... But like... With millions of people.... Of whom you can choose who are part of your conversations (you follow them). There are #subjects instead of rooms.

I can check it on my mobile phone or my Nintendo DS, something i cant do that with IRC. I can come and go as i please in convos and err yeah... When used socially its sorta of like a more convenient IRC for me now...

If you are into IRC, sign up to twitter, find a subject ( #ubuntu for example), find the most interesting people talkin about Ubuntu and follow them. Their friends will follow you, you can add them to your following list or remove them if all they say is 'im eating a burger for lunch'.

Give it a go!

coolbrook
November 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
#imacelebrity (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23ImaCelebrity)

jflaker
January 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM
You could use it as a syslog server
http://twitter.com/syslogathome

It can tell you the next time your server has a bowel movement

krendar
February 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I use it to follow current events. This morning I was watching #iranelection to follow all the stuff going on in Iran today.

Occasionally I search for topics like "Ubuntu" or "Linux" to see if there is some new exciting things people talk about.

scouser73
February 11th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've recently become a Twitter convert.

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
i was always on twitter ever since the larry king vs ashton kutcher thingy :)

pity Ubuntu doesnt have a proper twitter client though, at least not anything in the likes of TweetDeck/Seesmic.

chucky chuckaluck
February 11th, 2010, 03:54 PM
need more coffee, then hit the can. www.worthlesslink.com

infestor
February 11th, 2010, 04:27 PM
google buzz is the new ****

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
google buzz is the new ****

and google buzz sucks big time. its trying to copy facebook and miserably failing at it.

Tibuda
February 11th, 2010, 04:32 PM
pity Ubuntu doesnt have a proper twitter client though, at least not anything in the likes of TweetDeck/Seesmic.

hm? you can run tweetdeck on ubuntu.

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 04:58 PM
hm? you can run tweetdeck on ubuntu.

i know, i run tweetdeck. but its not open source, hence am being an optionless user here. :) gwibber's latest version (although not stable yet) sounds promising.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/gwibber-gets-awesome-new-look.html

Tibuda
February 11th, 2010, 05:04 PM
i know, i run tweetdeck. but its not open source, hence am being an optionless user here.

Who cares? Linus doesn't care (http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.3/1101.html):

Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit.

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Who cares? Linus doesn't care (http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.3/1101.html):

that wasnt my point mate.

i'm not asking the tweetdeck devs to make the software open source, i am asking/requesting the gnome open source devs to come up with better twitter client. which they have in the form of gwibber, but the best versions of gwibber are currently in testing phase and very much so. i hope a few months from now, i can use an open source twitter client as good as tweetdeck (and its my choice that i want to use an open source client, as Linus said :) ), fingers crossed.

Tibuda
February 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
that wasnt my point mate.

i'm not asking the tweetdeck devs to make the software open source, i am asking/requesting the gnome open source devs to come up with better twitter client. which they have in the form of gwibber, but the best versions of gwibber are currently in testing phase and very much so. i hope a few months from now, i can use an open source twitter client as good as tweetdeck (and its my choice that i want to use an open source client, as Linus said :) ), fingers crossed.

got it

abhibharti
February 11th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Twitter is a hangover these days. I dont know but people are really mad for it.