PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Skype, Logitech webcam and Karmic video problem persists

relic70
November 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I used Skype ver 2.0 seamlessly in Jaunty and earlier versions of Ubuntu. When I did a fresh install of Karmic I had to install Skype 2.1 and had the following problem. I've had the same results with the deb download from Skype and Skype in medibuntu.

Problem: No video on Test in Video options of Skype. I've tried quite a few of the suggestions in the forums regarding the Logitech QuickCams but none of them worked for me. Here's the information on my setup and some results in Karmic with the webcam

1. Output from command lsusb

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:09a6 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Vision Pro

2. webcam displayed in Skype Video options
UVC Camera (046d:09a6)(/dev/video0)

3. Script in Skype shell
#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype.real "$@"

If the shell commands are given in the terminal the following error message is given when webcam is tested in the Video options

"X Error, request 133, minor 18, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)"

4. /usr/lib/libv4l directory contains 'v4l1compat.so' and v4l2convert.so'

The Logitech Vision Pro is a v4l2 compliant webcam. Receive the same error message given above if I use 'v4l2convert.so' in the script.

5. using 'gstreamer-properties' command in terminal good Video was produced from webcam in Multimedia Systems Selector with the Plugin: Video for Linux 2 (v4l2), Device: UVC Camera (046d:09a6)

Other available plugin "Video for Linux (v4l)" gives cannot get or set resource message

6. Good video produced from webcam UVC Camera (046d:09a6) in GUVCViewer

Any information that would help getting Skype to show video in the video options test would be appreciated.

relic70
November 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Problem solved for me.

I followed some Skype forum links that led me to Cairo-Dock forum. There I found a solution that worked.

It involves the use of cairo-dock, which I use.

Stop Cairo-Dock. Make certain it is removed from Startup Applications.

Restart the xserver in the terminal with the commmand

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

After this the Test video in Skype worked for me. :D

Compiz is still running, so apparently doesn't interfere with Skype in my case.

Hope this helps someone else with similar problems in Skype video.

totalhealth
November 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I had the same problem. I was able to solve it by starting cairo-dock with "cairo-dock -c" instead of "cairo-dock -o". It looks like the -o option is causing the problem.

Aviendha09
November 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Yuck! that has to be the most awful workaround yet! I have to "not load" cairo-dock at boot to use skype? Nuts!
I'll see if I can find something better!
I saw some compatibility issues with remote latest Windows client. Meanwhile, I'll be retesting Ekiga.

slumbergod
November 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I went back to the old version of skype. That always worked for me.

Aviendha09
November 12th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah? I looked for it in a few places, where did you get it?

edit: found it here (http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_i386.deb), yet to be tested.

relic70
November 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I had the same problem. I was able to solve it by starting cairo-dock with "cairo-dock -c" instead of "cairo-dock -o". It looks like the -o option is causing the problem.

I tried the -c option, which is "no OpenGL", and Skype does work with the dock running. But, it doesn't quite have the zip it does when its running under "OpenGL" or the -o option.

So, I guess it's whatever tickles your tummy!

fabounet
November 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
This is a problem in Qt4, not in Cairo-Dock.
there is a workaround for it :

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype
(also work for VLC, Smplayer, and any Qt applications that do video)

NarsilAnduril
November 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Sorry for the newbie question, but what should I do with this command line ?

oscarmeyer51
November 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
See this thread for a couple of alternate solutions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8338722#post8338722

relic70
November 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM

That works for the current session with the -o option, openGl in cairo-dock, however it doesn't persist into the next login session.

Anyway to make it persistent from one login session to the next?

pickarooney
November 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
doing the above gives me a green screen in the video test window. Do I somehow have to combine the LD and export commands with the skype launch command?

I tried
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usrin/skype but no luck

hirumono
November 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM
doing the above gives me a green screen in the video test window. Do I somehow have to combine the LD and export commands with the skype launch command?

I tried
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usrin/skype but no luck

First of all, thanks to relic70 who solved my problem with Skype.

Yes pickarooney, you have to integrate both the preload section and the export commands. I solved it in a very simple way: I right-clicked on the "Applications" menu and chose "modify menu" to bring forth the menu editor, and under "Internet -> Skype" I changed the "command" section of Skype's launcher from /usr/bin/skype to:

sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype'

(mind the vertical apostrophes!)

This way I can keep my OpenGL Cairo Dock and use Skype at its fullest! Yeah! :p

relic70
December 1st, 2009, 11:24 PM

sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype'

Yep! Works like a charm for me too. Thanks to your extra help hirumono.

fleghorn
December 2nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Tried sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype' but still get the fuzzy green video. Here is the output I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomenu-panel": libgnomenu-panel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-gnome.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any ideas what went wrong?

relic70
December 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Tried sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype' but still get the fuzzy green video. Here is the output I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomenu-panel": libgnomenu-panel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-gnome.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any ideas what went wrong?

I'm only guessing here, but you many not have all of those files installed, particularly those that indicate "no such file or directory". Check the synaptic package manager to see if they are installed.

marin123
December 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
i have a 64 bit karmic... do i have to write LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/ instead of LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/ ?
i tried this and cant get my video to work.. my cam works fine with cheese, but not with skype... i can get sound from my webcam but no video and i see the video of the other person, just cant start my video...

Linuxforall
December 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
i have a 64 bit karmic... do i have to write LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/ instead of LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/ ?
i tried this and cant get my video to work.. my cam works fine with cheese, but not with skype... i can get sound from my webcam but no video and i see the video of the other person, just cant start my video...

Skype from the medibuntu repos worked fine but the one downloaded from Skype site gives me the same issue with my cam, I get sound but only green stripes for video. The cam works fine in Cheese, I am on Karmic x64.

marin123
December 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Skype from the medibuntu repos worked fine but the one downloaded from Skype site gives me the same issue with my cam, I get sound but only green stripes for video. The cam works fine in Cheese, I am on Karmic x64.

i hope you solved the problem with links from that other thread :)

Linuxforall
December 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM
i hope you solved the problem with links from that other thread :)

Yep, just thinking in long run, it needs to be back in the repo for now. Many of those who switch to Ubuntu here from Windows depend on Skype as its the only audio video messenger for Linux so the medibutnu way makes it far easier than telling them to download from specific site.

marin123
December 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Yep, just thinking in long run, it needs to be back in the repo for now. Many of those who switch to Ubuntu here from Windows depend on Skype as its the only audio video messenger for Linux so the medibutnu way makes it far easier than telling them to download from specific site.

i agree, but there is a reason why they are removing it from medibuntu (i guess skype demanded to remove it), so the only way is to back it up on some server... i can use mine (just need to renew my password to be able to access it, then i'll put a link into my signature)...
and you can also use video+audio in amsn (also very good for ppl switching to ubuntu)

Linuxforall
December 15th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yep I have it saved too and would be glad to upload it to any of the file sharing serivices. Judging by the video thread on Skype forums, many are having issues with the Skype version provided by them.

marin123
December 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
http://adria.fesb.hr/~mbareta/skype/

here you have newest skype versions, both i386 and amd64 with skype-common debs...
download and enjoy :)

Linuxforall
December 17th, 2009, 04:23 AM

here you have newest skype versions, both i386 and amd64 with skype-common debs...
download and enjoy :)

Very nice of you, may I post this link at the Skype for Linux forums as well as there are many there with Ubuntu having video and audio issues.

alanix
December 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Also having same issue with the latest from Skype - 2.1.0.47. I get green screen in the Video set up section, I also get it in Cheese, but GUVCVideo works fine. I tried the command suggested above, but got a similar error:

I'm in Karmic... this is really disapointing. I can't download the medibuntu version either :(

marin123
December 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Also having same issue with the latest from Skype - 2.1.0.47. I get green screen in the Video set up section, I also get it in Cheese, but GUVCVideo works fine. I tried the command suggested above, but got a similar error:

I'm in Karmic... this is really disapointing. I can't download the medibuntu version either :(

LD PRELOAD doesnt work for me... i also had green screen in skype but cheese worked fine... i have 64 bit karmic and everything works fine.. just install common deb and skype deb and it should work fine...
but before you install medibuntu skype:
sudo apt-get remove skype (and search for skype and manually delete files that are left in your system...)
this worked for me... :)

EDIT: have you tried my links? it should work... here it is:

Linuxforall
December 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Make that sudo apt-get --purge remove skype and also delete the .skype folder in your home.

saltmore
December 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Here is my full launcher for skype. Name it skypelauncher.sh or something similar. Make it executable and prosper. It is in the same directory as skype itself. /usr/bin in my case. Then can edit main menu launcher and startup applications so this launches instead. Very easy workaround, and works great.

#!/bin/sh
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
exit 0

fromgi
December 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
EDIT: have you tried my links? it should work... here it is:

I must be doing something wrong with this link. When I try to download Syype, I get a "Forbidden" message. Help!

marin123
December 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
sorry about links that are not working, i forgot to set permissions :(
now its working, i tested it...
and you can put this link wherever you want, i wont delete this files...
if you have any more problems, just let me know... :)

fromgi
December 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
sorry about links that are not working, i forgot to set permissions :(
now its working, i tested it...
and you can put this link wherever you want, i wont delete this files...
if you have any more problems, just let me know... :)

Thank you VERY MUCH!

Timbo337
December 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Thank you VERY MUCH!

These files also worked great for me! Thank you!

System:
Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit
Logitech Quickcam Chat 046d:08af

wetinwales
December 23rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
This thread is for 9.10 but I think the problem is still the same in Jaunty 9.04.

I am running jaunty 9.04 on a four core amd 64bit with the deb skype 2.1.0.47 installed from skype website.
I have a Logitech QuickCam Messenger which works good in Cheese.

As you all guessed... I get the green or multicolored hash in the Skype Video test.
Finger accross camera changes colours etc.

I have tried every version of solution I can find in forums - Preload v4l1, renaming of /usr/bin/skype.real etc etc... all to no avail.

I have checked the libs and they all seem to be "newest versions"

I think I am now lost.

Here is terminal output clue?

me@comp:~$ ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So many posts claim success for various solutions. None for me !!!!

Can anybody help ?

Thanks

marin123
December 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
have you tried installing skype-common packages or skype packages from medibuntu?

Jimtheplanner
December 24th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Ah Medibuntu.....

Anyone know why the Skype packages are missing form Medibuntu for Karmic???

Edit:~ Ah I found the answer...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/karmic/+bug/494564

They no longer maintain Skype

wetinwales
December 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks Marin 123
Tried that and this is the error I get in terminal:-

Selecting previously deselected package skype-common.
(Reading database ... 171955 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking skype-common (from .../skype-common_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1.1_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /home/daf/.opera/temporary_downloads/skype-common_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1.1_all.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf', which is also in package skype
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/me/.opera/temporary_downloads/skype-common_2.0.0.72-0medibuntu1.1.deb

Thanks for any more help?!

marin123
December 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
i suggest you first remove any of skype installations that you had before:
sudo apt-get remove skype

and manually delete all of the skype files that are left in your computer, then install skype-common2 deb and then skype deb and this should work, it worked for me... try this and post if you had sucess.. good luck!

wetinwales
December 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I removed all of skype manually as the "sudo apt-get remove skype" could not find skype at all.
That done, I'm now trying to remember how to install skype-common but cannot find a reference to skype-common2 deb.

I have found a list of skype-commons here:
http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/non-free/s/skype/

If I undewrstand this webcam problem correctly, we all must find older versions of skype or skype-common when using Jaunty. My problem is further worsened by using amd 64bit.

So which skype-common do I choose from the above list?
Do I then re-install skype from the skype.com downloads page and choose the 'deb' version for 64bit?

Merry Christmas all!!:)

marin123
December 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
i used latest common files and skype deb from medibuntu...
it works fine on my amd64 karmic, i suppose it should work with you too...
merry christmas!

wetinwales
December 25th, 2009, 10:19 PM
As 'jimtheplanner' refers above, Medibuntu no longer holds skype in its repositories.
I think this means 'do without webcams' till skype sorts it out.

It's just too complicated and time consuming for the value of having a webcam (for me)

Many thanks for all help.

marcond
January 29th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hello

Just to keep you folks informed, I've been lucky enough to get Skype working with Logitech QuickCam Messenger under Ubuntu 9.10 32bits, by following the steps below:

1) Installed a fresh Ubuntu 9.10
2) Installed Medibuntu repos (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu)

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

3) I've used Ubuntu 9.10 32 bits, so I installed w32codecs and ubuntu-restricted-extras

sudo apt-get install w32codecs ubuntu-restricted-extras

Really I don't think that Medibuntu nor w32codecs nor restricted-extras are needed at all, but I've included this anyway because I did installed them before Skype, with other purposes. You may skip this (well, I guess...)

4) Downloaded latest Skype from:

http://www.skype.com/intl/pt/download/skype/linux/choose/
(of course, get the skype download according your language, mine is portuguese)

The downloaded file was skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb .

5) Install Skype (simply clicked the downloaded file and select install).

6) Renamed the skype executable located on /usr/bin to skype.real on the same directory

7) Created a batch file under /usr/bin named skype containing:

#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.real "$@"
exit 0

8_) Made this script executable by chmod

chmod +x skype

9) Adjusted the mic volume on System/Preferences/Sound and on the tab Input selected the source QuickCam Messenger Analog Mono.

That's it, YMMV.

Marcond

mahiyar
February 18th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks to this thread I have learnt a lot of things, on one of my machines I was facing problem in VLC, on one laptop in Skype, and the best part I learnt is right clicking "Application" on the bar shows edit menu (thanks hirumono)

ahbart
February 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I just installed this new package skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb from skype website and noticed the video problem with my logitech:
ID 046d:08da Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messanger
The webcam did not start.

Your instructions worked to fix this issue.
Thanks

toogooda
April 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Sorry for the newbie question, but what should I do with this command line ?

Just paste it in the command line and hit enter it will launch Skype and video works (just tried :)

I added the line to the command of the launcher in Cairo so always works for me now.

SGAZ
May 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
@marin123 -- Thanks for the older Skype debs! My Skype Video hasn't worked since 9.10 and now it's back. Much appreciated.

Now I just have to make sure I don't update it. :D

jurgen32
May 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hello

I'm working with Lucid 64 bit.
My logitech quickcam pro 4000 is working fine under cheese but not with Skype if I enabled Cairo-dock with open-gl.

So I took this topic and started to fiddle around and came up with this solution:

I added this repository:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/darcio53/darcio/ubuntu lucid main
Then update and install the newest version of Skype. Watch out for other applications because maybe they are not compatible with your system, so to be sure only install Skype.
Then you can disable the repository

Then open Konsole or gnome-terminal
type: sudo kate (or gedit) /usr/bin/skype
Here you see the following:

#!/bin/sh

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib32/qt4/plugins /usr/bin/skype.bin "$@"

Change this in:

#!/bin/sh

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib32/qt4/plugins /usr/bin/skype.bin "$@"

Save the file and now you can use the newest version of Skype and Cairo-Dock with open-gl!

Good luck,
Jurgen

Old Jimma
May 22nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
Hi Ubuntu Community:

I read this entire thread and others. My problem was that video with Skype (newly downloaded on May 22, 2010) didn't work.

I have a 64 bit Lucid OS....

I found something that worked for me:

I found the web page: http://linux.dipin.info/2010/03/resolve-skype-video-chat-web-cam-issue.html

It gives the following prescription that worked:

I installed Skype on Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bits) as described here*Install Skype in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Linux.

After installing the 64 bit version of Skype for Ubuntu, I found that the color webcam display looked ''green''.

I had faced the same issue when i installed and used skype in ubuntu 9.10.
The fix show below helped me at that time, it does rescue me this time also.

To view the webcam properly in Skype use this piece of code:
$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

To make this a permanent solution, follow the step below:
$ sudo mv /usr/bin/skype /usr/bin/skype.bin
$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/skype.bin
$ sudo gedit /usr/bin/skype
(use anyother editor of your choice instead of gedit if u want)
add the following lines to it and save & close
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype.bin
$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/skype

Hope it works for you!

All the best,
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

ischliky
May 27th, 2010, 05:55 PM
great help in this thread, for me simply changing the menu item and cairo dock call both to

sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype-wrapper'

fixed it completely for me. i was using a logitech c600, which worked perfectly in cheese but just gave lots of

X Error, request 133, minor 18, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

errors before i made the change. simple change to get it all working, thanks for the tip

using 10.04 64-bit

labinnsw
June 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
great help in this thread, for me simply changing the menu item... What menu item?

The solution that finally worked for me was found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8163641&postcount=8)

labinnsw
June 6th, 2010, 02:00 PM
What menu item?

The solution that finally worked for me was found here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8163641&postcount=8)

As it turned out, this was only a part of the solution.
The complete thing is set out below.

From here: (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8163641&postcount=8)
1. From synaptic install lib32v4l-0 (if it is not yet installed)
2. If you installed from skype's website (the new beta) there will be no skype.real but only a skype executable. You need to rename it to skype.real (If you already have a skype.real don't worry about it)

From here and amended (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9328030&postcount=46)
3. Create a launcher called skype, saved in your home directory, and containing this script:
#!/bin/bash
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib32/qt4/plugins /usr/bin/skype.real "$@"
4. Change all other skype launcher commands to
/home/yourusername/skype

Now only one thing remains. When run from the terminal, the script command produces an error:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-plugin": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-plugin.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64It does not stop anything from working, but I sure would love to be rid of it.

EDIT
Some time after I did this, I did an update and Skype video stopped working. I installed camorama to see if the camera was working there and that fixed Skype video again.

hebetude
August 4th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Thanks this fixed the problem. However, before I do this my webcam shows me right side up, after doing this my webcam is upside down.

I have the same problem on Windows...

labinnsw
August 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks this fixed the problem. However, before I do this my webcam shows me right side up, after doing this my webcam is upside down.

I have the same problem on Windows...

This solution is a couple of years old but might still work (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5718814&postcount=8)

You can check these out to see if you can find a Windows solution (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=Webcam+video+upside+down&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)

madan_amilus
November 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
this thread was a big help :)
i'm using cairo-dock and changing its startup entry from cairo-dock -o to cairo-dock -c fixed the problem fer me

freshmeatz
November 17th, 2010, 04:11 AM
when is doubt "search" fixed my issue to add sh to command line. Thanks..

tlfcbb
November 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
When i set skype to load on start up my webcam will not work. However if I manually start it after booting up the system it works fine. I am not using ciaro dock but am using docky. Any ideas?

guntu
November 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Problem solved for me.

I followed some Skype forum links that led me to Cairo-Dock forum. There I found a solution that worked.

It involves the use of cairo-dock, which I use.

Stop Cairo-Dock. Make certain it is removed from Startup Applications.

Restart the xserver in the terminal with the commmand

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

After this the Test video in Skype worked for me. :D

Compiz is still running, so apparently doesn't interfere with Skype in my case.

Hope this helps someone else with similar problems in Skype video.

THANKS SO MUCH! This did it for me, it was so annoying. I got rid of Cairo All together because I noticed it had been giving me problems.

rivosuoth
February 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Here is my full launcher for skype. Name it skypelauncher.sh or something similar. Make it executable and prosper. It is in the same directory as skype itself. /usr/bin in my case. Then can edit main menu launcher and startup applications so this launches instead. Very easy workaround, and works great.

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

Works like a charm!
After trying all methods (simple ones ^_^), this one works well! I'm using Asus Notebook F Series. GT 220M.

USB2.0 UVC 1.3M WebCam (/dev/video0) as shown in skype's video devices setting.
Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (fresh installation and full cairo-dock installed ^^).

JUST copy and paste these codes into Terminal (Applications > Accessories >Terminal) and ENTER

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

Compiz is not turned off, and cairo-dock as well. :D:D:D:D
Thank you

ACGilbert
March 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM

Yes pickarooney, you have to integrate both the preload section and the export commands. I solved it in a very simple way: I right-clicked on the "Applications" menu and chose "modify menu" to bring forth the menu editor, and under "Internet -> Skype" I changed the "command" section of Skype's launcher from /usr/bin/skype to:

Thanks hiromomo
your post #13 command and instructions worked for me.
64 bit Lucid and Cairo Dock.
AC

dabl
April 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM

#!/bin/sh
exit 0

Yep, this works perfectly for Skype 2.2 Beta on Debian Sid, kernel 2.6.38-2, 64-bit system w/KDE 4.6.1 desktop, and Logitech Quickcam Connect STX.

Thanks!