PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input"

skin1990
November 7th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to use my notebook to record my calls made with Ekiga (using a Voip user). I need to record what I hear by the headphones and what I tell by the microphone.

Ubuntu 9.10 allow me to select (in "audio preferences" -> "hardware") between:

-Spento (switched off)
-Analog Stereo Input
-Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958 )
-Digital Stereo (IEC958 ) Output + Analog Stereo Input
-Analog Stereo Output
-Analog Stereo Duplex

If I choose "Analog Stereo Output" or "Analog Stereo Duplex" (the lasts), I'm able to hear the output audio by the headphones. But if I choose the others, the computer doesn't allow me to hear anything.
I thought that the solution was to select "-Digital Stereo (IEC958 ) Output + Analog Stereo Input" but I don't hear anything!

Is there somebody who can help me?

ajgreeny
November 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
You are not alone in this sound problem. It took a while for me to be able to hear anything that was input through my microphone, though I could still record with audacity or sound recorder, and skype picked up the input as well.

Although your situation is a bit different, I suggest you use the terminal utility alsamixer. This will open in a terminal and you can move from slider to slider and raise or lower the sliders with the cursor keys, and mute/unmute items with the "M" key. Tab will move you through output/recording/all groups of sliders.

This, I think is one of the difficulties of pulseaudio. There appears to be no way to change levels of input or output of anything until you have the applications open that are using the sound server.

presario_ubun2
November 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Hello, I'm just trying to get Digital Stereo Output (IEC958) + Analog Stereo Input to work...i can only get analog stereo...

Is there a difference anyway?

drexell0680
December 9th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm having issues with this as well. In fact, my only option for my USB external sound (Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro) is Analog Stereo Output. Is there a different hardware profile I need?

bxcrx
December 28th, 2009, 04:51 AM
If you use the bootable CD does Sound Recorder pick up your voice from the Live9.10 CD?

If it does you may suffer from this problem

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/460351

FYI my analog mic worked just fine in 9.04