View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get 96 hz digital sound?

November 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
This may seem Like a trivial question but I have searched the forums for a solution without success.

I started with Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) installed on a Zotac Ion 330 used as an HTPC with XBMC and other audio/video playback packages. The primary purpose of this setup is a music server. I have high res 96/24 flac music files on my hard drive. I am feeding my PS Audio dac from the spdif toslink output on the motherboard. I switched to Karmic Koala and ended up purging pulse audio before I got my spdif output working again. My problem is that the 96/24 audio files are only output at 44/16 Hz resolution. I only need stereo output, not multichannel sound. Is there someone who can tell me (in simple terms) how to configure alsa to output a 96/24 signal to my dac. If I playback using Aqualung for example, it shows that the source file is 96000 Hz but the output is alsa @ 44100 Hz SRC type Linear Interpolator. Any help configuring for 96/24 output would be greatly appreciated.

October 31st, 2010, 03:07 AM
I am using 10.04 with Potamus as my player sending signal to my HRT Musicstreamer II(96/24 capable;asynchronous) to my sound system. Potamus has the best sound I have found. It shows the file is being played 96000 kHz 24bit and sounds like it!