PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Makin' muh Desktop into a Media Center-type thingy...

zachthejones
November 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Okay, here's what I want to do: I want to rip my collection of various TV series (read: multiple episodes per disc to rip) onto my desktop, which I can then use to create a random playlist to play for several hours each night.

(my wife loves falling asleep to the heinousness of Law and Order and CSI - go figure...should I be scared?)

I've played around with several rippers (dvd::rip and acidrip) and had weird dependency issues trying to install them (ffmpeg doesn't install with a lot of editing and ripping software...and dvd::rip needs that)...and I'm not sure they're the best way to go.

What do you suggest as the best way to rip these episodes? the best format (avi, mpeg...)? I want near CD quality, but would rather keep the file size to 1gb or less per episode...

And what do you suggest for playing them back? I want to either be able to have it make a random playlist, or make one myself....the best would be for it to make a playlist of the least viewed episodes, so there is less repetition...

Please, any and all suggestions! Should I try out Ubuntu Studio? or is there something else I should think about?