PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic [9.10] issues with volume control, Master/PCM/LFE, and volume threshold

dkisl
November 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) and am having sound issues like many others.

Symptoms:
Changing the system tray volume control doesn't affect the speaker volume at all, until I set it to 30% or below, at which point the speakers completely stop producing any sound
Using gnome-alsamixer, watched what happens when I lower volume: until the threshold, Master is dropping, then at that 30% point (when Master hits 0), PCM and LFE begin to drop. At volume control 0, all three of them are at 0.
Checked ALSA drivers (up to date), deleted and reinstalled PulseAudio (no change at any point in the process)
Curiously, the minimum volume threshold is still there when I plug in headphones (through the headphone jack), but the volume control changes the sound output; gnome-alsamixer continues to do the exact same things as described above.

I will be happy to provide specs or run diagnostics if needed. My soundcard is a Sigmatel STAC9200 and I'm running Karmic on a Dell Inspiron notebook.

Thanks.

Jixop
November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Same problem here. Same result in gnome-alsamixer.
Only for me, I would say the minimum threshold is more around 10%.

I'm on Dell 9400 laptop. Sound trough the speakers are always to loud. With headphones it's normal (with 10% treshold, but it isn't too loud at 15%).

The problem would be solved for me if I could change the volume buttons to only control the PCM channel instead of Masterchannel. (In 9.04: Master also lowered LFE wich is my subwoofer and should always be full volume) I did change it in 9.04, but can't find the option in 9.10.

Thanks in advance.

LJComServ
November 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I've got an identical problem.

Looks like the Master and PCM controls are flipped. Master controls the treble and the PCM controls the volume level.

I'm on a Inspiron E1705 and a Sigmatel STAC9200.

Thanks to all!

geopteryx
November 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi!
I too have a DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200. I've solved this problem by making some changes in the file "/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common". Try this:

sudo gedit /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common

You will find those lines near the bottom of the file:

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

So, add theses lines BEFORE:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Save and quit. Then restart (restarting Pulseaudio isn't enough).

Using Fn + PageUp / PageDown or the media buttons now only modifies the "PCM" channel (have a look on alsamixer).

LJComServ
November 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks geopteryx!

That did it!

Got to love the Ubuntu community!

Jixop
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks! Solved it for me too. (also DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200)
Sound looks not as loud as in 9.04 though.

Jixop
November 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks! Solved it for me too. (also DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200)
Sound looks not as loud as in 9.04 though.
Loudness issues solved: Some slider in the Sound preferences panel wasn't set correctly (anymore).
(It was the volume of Exaile in the 'Applications' tab.)

Andre_44
November 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Worked perfectly for me too, is there a bug report for this?

cdthompso1
November 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ditto for me on another Inspiron 9400. Looks like this is very specific to the E1705 and 9400, which are essentially the same model. Thanks for the tip.

SR_ELPIRATA
November 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I wouldnt say this was a Dell only issue :P

I had many problems with this when I installed 9.10 and after some time doing this and that (thread was on launchpad) it never worked for me. Did the switch and merge thing and didnt fix it either. But worser than that, I had a noise that sounded at all times that was driving me crazy and since this is my HTPC... bad sound is a big issue.

So, after awhile and with no other kind of help available... back to 9.04 with perfect audio :P (well, I still have a tick every 10 secs when playing HD stuff, but other than that... perfect).

ELP

Seinfeld
November 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hi

I usually do not use pulseaudio. I always uninstall as it creates some problems with MediaPlayer. But, the volume control on the system tray panel DISAPPEARS in Karmic. How can I get to control the volume??
Any clue please?

Thanks

SR_ELPIRATA
November 24th, 2009, 09:49 PM
You know, that was one of the questions I've always had since the inception of pulseaudio. This motherboard supposedly is using ALSA but I can control the sound also with the pulseaudio controls, so I wouldnt uninstall pulseaudio just because I use ALSA... in reality I dont really know what Im using, just that it works.

@Seinfeld: I'm not really sure how to help you, but if you still hear audio after removing pulseaudio... I think you can invoke the alsamixer. In my system I just open the terminal, type alsamixer and hit enter. You will see a window open with the mixer (it looks ugly), you can select which part of the mixer u want to control by moving the left/right keys and then adjust with up/down. When finish adjusting, just hit ESC to leave that window.

Seinfeld
November 25th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks SR_ELPIRATA

Same here, I do hear sound, however, we have to point all sound applications e.g. Skype, mplayer to pulseaudio. Well you are right, as long as it works, why worry.. Yes, it works but INTEL motherboard's native soundcard card (mine) does work better with alsa. The sound with Virtual Box is lower with pulseadio, also, the control preferences with alsa is much better. With pulseadio, the volume control cannot be add via Add-to-panel, the volume control appears in the "Notification Area" instead, so I cannot control keyboard shortcuts as nicely as ALSA e.g. PCM, Master, etc...
Anyways, we just want to know why this is only in Karmic??
I tried and uninstalled ALSA completely, the sound still works which indicates "pulseadio is in control", however, strangely alsamixer command still works in the terminal and I still get the alsamixer controls and they do work and control the sound.... uhh.. weird...:)

SR_ELPIRATA
November 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Precisely sound issues is what drove me back to 9.04 and that weird volume control applet didnt help matters either.

ELP

Dr. Falken
November 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi!
I too have a DELL Inspiron 9400/E1705 with the STAC9200. I've solved this problem by making some changes in the file "/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common". Try this:

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Using Fn + PageUp / PageDown or the media buttons now only modifies the "PCM" channel (have a look on alsamixer).
These solutions worked for me in a Dell Precision 690.

Also in other Precision 690, one of my team mates at work downgraded the ALSA modules to the Jaunty ones and also worked fine about this issue. I don't know the details how he did it.

mikesmithv
November 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hi!

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

This fix also worked for me on my Dell E1705. The volume is smooth now but it sounded "different". I rebooted into Windows (Vista) and listened closely and discovered that in Windows the sound comes out the left and right speakers on the front of the laptop but in Ubuntu 9.10 with this fix it only comes out the "sub-woofer" on the bottom (nothing out of the left and right speakers). So then I checked Ubuntu 9.04 (live CD) and the sound is out of the front speakers. Do you think it might be possible to fix this by changing "volume = ignore" to something else?

patsy4078
November 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
geopteryx's hack fixed my Dell XPS m1017. Thank you!

mikesmithv: Sounds like the trebble is too low. run alsamixer and increase your Master (trebble on a Dell) or decrease your LFE (bass) until your mid and low ranges sound right.

mikesmithv
December 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
patsy4078: You are correct about using alsamixer.

Master = "treble" which is the front left and right speakers
LFE = the "bass" speaker on the bottom
PCM = the real master which controls them both.

However, it did not work that way on my E1705 after doing geopteryx's hack. Since my last post I did some more searching and finally fixed it by also editing /etc/pulse/default.pa as summarized here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305889

Now 9.10 works great!

Mike

SR_ELPIRATA
December 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Somebody should edit the thread subject to SOLVED status :) that way more people can come and get the fix :)

psrivats
January 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hi!

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Thank you for this!

Works on my thinkpad T60 running karmic... but in the opposite way. The hardware buttons change only the "master". The PCM stays fixed.

Can someone explain the difference between these two controls (Master and PCM)? Am I supposed to keep the PCM all the way up and say 40% on the Master? Or vice versa? Or should I set both to say 50% and adjust volume on my speakers to my preferred level? Are equivalent to the first two windows XP controls below?

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/applications/multimedia/volume/winxppro-2-1.png

SR_ELPIRATA
January 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Far as I know yes, PCM and Wave are the same thing. Depending on your configuration you might prefer to control the master or the PCM/Wave. For example, IIRC there was a time when the Master was also the front speakers and changing that volume only would not change the center/lfe/surrounds for me, so controlling the PCM in that case would be preferred.

erlendoos
January 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
What does LFE mean?

I use Ubuntu 9.10 on a dell inspiron 9400 and when i use the proposed configuration, the pc-speakers don't work, but the headphones do.
When I use the configuration below, the pc-speakers work, but the headphones produce little sound.

[Element Master]
switch = on
volume = ignore
override-map.1 = all

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge

psrivats
January 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Far as I know yes, PCM and Wave are the same thing. Depending on your configuration you might prefer to control the master or the PCM/Wave. For example, IIRC there was a time when the Master was also the front speakers and changing that volume only would not change the center/lfe/surrounds for me, so controlling the PCM in that case would be preferred.

Makes sense. Thanks! I am pretty happy with the sound setup on my thinkpad (I manually compiled and installed the lastest alsa). Audacity is the only program that is giving me trouble, will find a fix for that soon.

michelux
January 24th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Works great for me. Thanks.

l-x-l
February 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM
This thread saved me after a pulseaudio upgrade yesterday forced my LFE speakers to 100% all the time. Many thx.

Andre_44
April 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have had to search for this thread 4 times in the past few months to find the fix again, it seems that upgrades are constantly overwriting the file. Can we do anything to get this fixed upstream instead of constantly having to apply the fix ourselves?

lidex
April 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
There is another approach that may work. This is specific to the Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 model w/ STAC9200 codec.
Open this file for editing:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
Insert this line at the bottom:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m27
Save. Close. Reboot. Check your levels in alsamixer.

alsamixer
Press F6 to select the correct soundcard.
Press F3 to show playback levels. F4 selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels.
Go to "System>Preferences>Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default

biomann
May 1st, 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi!

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Hi,

This worked fine for Karmic, but it seems that it does not work with Lucid. The way lidex described doesnt work either :(

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 03:17 AM
I guess OP got his working correctly.
biomann: Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

uname -a
aplay -l
cat /proc/asound/version
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

dclaw
May 6th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I have been having the same issue since I installed lucid lynx 10.04. I can no longer choose which input/output the volume app is controlling... and see that it's changing the front first, then the master, but the master portion doesn't change anything volume wise.

Grrr....

I just edited the file and about to reboot. I'll post back if that resolves it.

-Dclaw

dclaw
May 6th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Well... it's a little better.

Now, it gets to 70% and tops out instead of 25% in the volume manager app. The last 30% have no effect. The front output (which I'm not even using anyway) is at 100% now in alsamixer, but the PCM is now changed from 0->100 when I change volume in the app from 0->70%, then master goes from 74->100

Also, at 5% in the volume control applet, I don't get sound anymore, I get what I can only refer to as static.

Anyone have any other ideas?

-Dclaw

lidex
May 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
dclaw:
Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

uname -a
aplay -l
cat /proc/asound/version
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

Arless
May 29th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hi!

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

and these lines AFTER:

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Works perfect in Lucid Lynx !!, i always had pcm 100% and noise, now i can control individualy pcm center lfe etc.. with alsamixer, Thanks!

ECS gf8200a
Logitech Z5500

cometdog
June 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hi!
You should finally have:

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

Something similar worked for me on Lucid.

I used

[Element Master Front]
switch = mute
volume = ignore

[Element PCM]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

on an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO

It has the AMD 785G+SB710 chipset.

Anyway, the above works fine for me using the analog outputs with the hardware set to Analog Surround 4.0 Output, which is how I'm using it.

pawhtiobo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
THKX :)

It works in Thinkpad T41 :guitar:.

[[]]

iamgillespie
July 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks! This worked like a charm.:popcorn:

henjj
September 15th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Worked for me too in Lucid with a Dell Inspiron 9400. Thanks.

draxx31
October 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hello, I have a desktop computer with Asrock P4i65G with Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02).

I had the same problem on Ubuntu 9.10, 10.4 and 10.10 solved with your workaround. Thank you very much.

Does an official issue exist?

Could you explain how work the workaround?

kalross
January 11th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Thank you so much. Fixed my sound on Dell Precision M90.

Kal

Andre_44
January 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I am finally selling this laptop and building a new PC.. This issue plagued me for well over a year, every upgrade, every reinstall... I have applied this fixed many dozens of times, each time more annoying than the last...

To those of you left with this problem, open an actual ticket on launchpad or something, this thread has been here forever and hasn't drawn any attention to the issue and its not going to get fixed unless someone does something about it.

Jetro
January 15th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I am finally selling this laptop and building a new PC.. This issue plagued me for well over a year, every upgrade, every reinstall... I have applied this fixed many dozens of times, each time more annoying than the last...

To those of you left with this problem, open an actual ticket on launchpad or something, this thread has been here forever and hasn't drawn any attention to the issue and its not going to get fixed unless someone does something about it.
I've seen a bunch of similar threads/bug reports on Launchpad regarding this issue. Makes you wonder why they haven't fixed this when it has soon been two years.

cdthompso1
November 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I have been applying this change on my Inspiron 9400 and e1705 after every upgrade. On 12.04.1 LTS now and I still apply this fix.

I guess that's what I get for using a five year old laptop.