PDA

View Full Version : 18 button Open Office mouse

Silvernail
November 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Open Office Mouse - 18 Buttons (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/11/the_patented_18_button_openoffice_m.html)

falconindy
November 7th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Gross. I've got a better idea...

from xorg.conf ...

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "17"
EndSection

from .Xmodmap ...

pointer = 1 17 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 2n
And what does this 17 button beast look like?

Beautiful. (http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/logitech-mx-revolution.jpg)

-grubby
November 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
That is... a lot of buttons?

SunnyRabbiera
November 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I wonder if it will work on linux...

dragos240
November 7th, 2009, 03:09 AM

Probably. You could edit the xorg.conf. Or just use Xorg -configure.

Skripka
November 7th, 2009, 03:19 AM
That is... a lot of buttons?

I'll bet money it is probably a 400DPI laser...

kavon89
November 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I laughed when I read the FAQ (http://openofficemouse.com/faq.html). I can't believe they even put a joystick on this thing... I'm tempted to buy it as a joke.

Skripka
November 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM

From the Horse's Mouth:

The OpenOfficeMouse supports Windows, Linux, and Macintosh operating systems and will retail for $74.99.

http://openofficemouse.com/pr110609.html

TheLastDodo
November 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Looks awful. I'm not at all against the idea (I use a ten button mouse now), but the layout of those buttons is sorely lacking.

CharlesA
November 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM
That looks horrible, I'd just go with the Logitech.

tgalati4
November 7th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Whoa, that's 17 more than the Mac mouse. Finally, open source hardware for our open source software.

Kingsley
November 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM
First their office software and now this. OpenOffice.org is really behind Microsoft when it comes to aesthetics or user-friendliness. :D

tacantara
November 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Looks like OpenOffice.org just cranked the amplifier up to "11" in the battle to build a better mouse. I just finished reading the specs on this (http://openofficemouse.com/pr110609.html), and it packs in quite a bit. I don't see myself paying nearly $75 for it, but it will be on my geek wish list.

Looking at it, I'm not sure if it could be called techno-chic or techno-gaudy :lolflag:

Frak
November 7th, 2009, 07:37 AM
This is the biggest trolling of the Open Source community I've ever seen.

"You mean a poorly designed, hard to use, eyesore of a product that was designed for a fraction of the entire <insert subject here> market that was initally designed with good intentions is finally being sold?

You mean it even has a JOYSTICK!?

Sign me up!!!"

PurposeOfReason
November 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I use the mouse for gaming and if vim-hits doesn't get something or if I'm feeling lazy.

Dimitriid
November 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Why not put a tracking ball underneath a keyboard and call it a day?

Frak
November 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
This

murderslastcrow
November 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I should totally get one of these for my 3d modelling. :O

koleoptero
November 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM

I really lol'ed. Can you imagine the picture of you having both hands on the keyboard and rolling it around?

The Funkbomb
November 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I lol'd.

This mouse seems a little overkill but there might be a niche market for it. I have your standard 5 button mouse. LMB, MMB, RMB, two thumb buttons and 4 way scroll. I very rarely use the side to side scroll or the thumb buttons. I have no idea what I'd do with the rest of them.

DeadSuperHero
November 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I really lol'ed. Can you imagine the picture of you having both hands on the keyboard and rolling it around?

It would add to the fun of the already-great drinking game called "Install FreeBSD while drunk"

lisati
November 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It would add to the fun of the already-great drinking game called "Install FreeBSD while drunk"
:lolflag:

markp1989
November 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i like the idea of a joystick on the side, i cant think of a use for it, but i will 1 day.

i would liek a mouse with 18 buttons , i only have 5 on mine, but this one is just ugly.

edit somthing like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176741# better layed out, and doesnt look like it was made in the 80s

koleoptero
November 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
HAhhahahahaAHhAHAHAHAHhAahahhah

ZankerH
November 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Judging from the picture, the mouse appears to be following Logitech's design flow, focused on the "left handed people don't exist" philosophy. I'm sick and tired of this. How hard is it to make another version with the thumb buttons (and in this case, joystick) on the left side? I'd buy this immediately if there was a left-handed version.

pwnst*r
November 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
wow, what a busy looking piece of junk. niche market indeed.

benj1
November 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
this mouse belongs in this list.

http://technologizer.com/2009/08/05/mouse-patents/

mwalimu54
November 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM
lame

markp1989
November 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Judging from the picture, the mouse appears to be following Logitech's design flow, focused on the "left handed people don't exist" philosophy. I'm sick and tired of this. How hard is it to make another version with the thumb buttons (and in this case, joystick) on the left side? I'd buy this immediately if there was a left-handed version.

i know where your coming from, im the only lefty in my close family. when we got out first computer, it was slim line, and had a slid out part for the mouse to sit on, on the right side only. and there wasnt enough room next to the keyboard to use the mouse without that. so i eventualy got used to using the mouse right handed, if i didnt i would be complaining the same as you do about the lack of left handed mice.

lots of companys make items that have left handed versions, if they can do it with a golf club how hard can it be to revers the design of a mouse.

phrostbyte
November 8th, 2009, 04:06 AM
SOLD! I'm in for three preorders. :lolflag:

Frak
November 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
sold! I'm in for three preorders. :lolflag:
+1

Skripka
November 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM
i know where your coming from, im the only lefty in my close family. when we got out first computer, it was slim line, and had a slid out part for the mouse to sit on, on the right side only. and there wasnt enough room next to the keyboard to use the mouse without that. so i eventualy got used to using the mouse right handed, if i didnt i would be complaining the same as you do about the lack of left handed mice.

lots of companys make items that have left handed versions, if they can do it with a golf club how hard can it be to revers the design of a mouse.

Get a Razer mouse, many of them are ambidextrous, and most if not all are multibutton.

CharlesA
November 8th, 2009, 04:24 AM
My mouse can be used with either the right or left hand. Then again it's only a simple 3 button mouse..

hoppipolla
November 8th, 2009, 04:36 AM
that looks mad..

I am so curious to see what happens with this! :)

aladinonl
November 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
totally stupid idea. I agree that 1-2 more buttons can be put on the mouse to increase productivity and that's it. BUt w 18, u don't even kno what button to click!