PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic intel drivers

blagosphere
November 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I have a Toshiba portege m-700 and used to wubi installer to install jaunty inside windows a while back. I was unable to turn on desktop effects untill i reverted to the intel-2.4 driver. Today i updated to karmic and alas... "desktop effects could not be enabled" again. i went throught the steps that i did with jaunty but it doesnt seem to work. any help would be apreciated. im not a total noob but im new enough that if you need any output data you need to tell me how to get it. thanks!

I put this under the wrong section of the forum im sorry but i really do want my desktop effects back

Kense
November 7th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I'm having almost the same problem. I installed 9.10 in Sun Virtual box on my XP computer, and now Ubuntu won't detect the proper drivers for my Intel graphics so i can re-size the resolution to make it the right size.

baytuni
November 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
you've entered a world of pain bro :P
When Jaunty was out, to fix intel drivers it took the community approx 3-4 months. I hope for Karmic it will take less. I know for some intel cards it is already working well. Not for me (I have gma 965) Follow this forum, sooner or later someone will figure it out.

Kense
November 7th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Yea, well I hope so. I have an Intel 2845G Graphics Controller. I'm building a new computer and that one will have an NVidia on it, so my life should be a bit easier then.

blagosphere
November 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
It also wouldnt shutdown correctly. i love the speed and reliability of ubuntu but these problems are the trade-off.

Kense
November 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I haven't had that problem yet. Mine shuts down and is done.

blagosphere
November 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
i did another install after completely removing it (pain) and it now works!! if only the shutdown problem would correct itself i would have the best OS ever.

Kense
November 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
That's great dude. I'm not sure if that would work for me, but it's worth a try I guess.

hitchup
November 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
you've entered a world of pain bro :P
When Jaunty was out, to fix intel drivers it took the community approx 3-4 months. I hope for Karmic it will take less. I know for some intel cards it is already working well. Not for me (I have gma 965) Follow this forum, sooner or later someone will figure it out.

Same here gma 965 broken after about 8-10 minutes. Screen flickers and then shuts off and have to power down to clear.

I don't have the problem in Virtual Box. Just Live CD and likely if i was to install it would be there also.

Kense
November 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
Well I think what my issue is, is that I have a weird chipset, and I'm running it in Sun Virtualbox, so Sun can't emulate the driver because it's for a weird set.

blagosphere
May 8th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Problem was solved through updates.