PDA

View Full Version : Wallpaper Changer

ranch hand
November 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I know that there was a thread in testing last time about this. I am on Stoner Edition1.0 (my usual OS - 9.04) right now and I am running one. It seems to work well.

The images may not be what you are looking for but, hey, you have gimp.

You may also want to mess with the timing.

I am waiting for the "credits" to be added to the file before sharing.

Is there still interest?

phenest
November 6th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Karmic already does auto wallpaper changing. I'm in Jaunty at the mo, but there is a 'space' background which is actually a selection of space pictures in a separate folder in /usr/share/backgrounds/ (I think) that will cycle through itself. Not sure what the timing is or if it can be changed.

ranch hand
November 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
This is a script that, as little as I know about scripts, looks fully adjustable.

I have been thinking and I think the earlier thread was about a deal to have different wallpaper on different work spaces. This does not do that.

celticbhoy
November 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Karmics is an html formatted script time adjustable.

ranch hand
November 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I actually ran it once but never hunted the bugger down. Where does it live?

celticbhoy
November 7th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I actually ran it once but never hunted the bugger down. Where does it live?

Re: Final Artwork Drop, Whose Excited?!
Yeah just make a sub directory in your pictures folder & copy in some background pics, then copy then html doc from /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos to your sub direct and alter the directory and file names to suite, adding more or taking some away if needed (just remember the last transform from last pic to first again). then add in backgrounds.

You can also change the timings.

Just a little tip, if you convert all backgrounds to a single format (I chose .jpg) and name them all ubuntu1.jpg, ubuntu2.jpg, etc or whatever then if you want to update one or all of them just rename the new background to replace one of the originals and replace in the sub folder. saves having to edit the html doc.

From Karmic testing

ranch hand
November 7th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Sounds good to me, but, where do I find this, I haven't a clue and do not want to run a nautilus search?

I will probably do this from this install and I try to aeep the load down because boinc is winding all 4 cpus to 100%. When I get a lot of stuff going boinc backs off and slows down. Those searches take a good bit of power and when I get started I tend to run more than one at a time.

celticbhoy
November 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Its not that resource hungry from what I could tell, but someone else will let me know. As I said in /usr/share/backgrounds/cosmos there is an html doc. I just set up a sub-directory off my pictures folder and copied the html doc there and renamed and adjusted it & copied in the pics I wanted to use. When you open the html in gedit its all straight forward.

ranch hand
November 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Oh geeze, I am in "backgrounds" all the time. What a moron.

Thanks

rubenverweij
November 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
If you're still interested, I created a program to generate the necessary file. You can find it here: https://launchpad.net/wallpaper-stacks. It can use some improvements though, so if you are willing I would appreciate your feedback. ;)