PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Motorola Droid (A855) - connecting to Ubuntu 9.10

isleshocky77
November 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I just plugged in my Motorola Droid and it shows up as "Motorola A855". However, I can not open it up in Nautilus nor will Rhythmbox recognize it.

Currently just trying to get some music on to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jeebustrain
November 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I've never used the Droid (though I'm hoping to find someone at work that I can dump my TouchPro2 on so I can get it) but if it's anything like a Windows Mobile device, see if there is a USB setting that lets you flip between sync and disk mode. I can connect my TouchPro2 to my Ubuntu machine and use Disk mode without having any software installed. It just mounts like a flash drive.

isleshocky77
November 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Nevermind. Just realized how to do it.

After plugging the phone in through USB you'll get a notification saying it's been plugged in on the phone. From there you can select to mount the SD card. Once doing that you can access it just like a USB drive.

You must unmount it in ubuntu, and then unmount it on the droid through the notifications area to begin using your music on the device.

dror
November 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Just to clarify. Drag the status bar on top of the phone down and you'll see the USB storage option.

deanerk
November 9th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yay, my Droid comes tomorrow. Glad to hear I can get some tunes to it without issues. Now will I be able to plug it into my head unit in the car to use for tunes while using Google maps navigation and receive or place a phone call? Can't wait to put it to some tests like this...

Fender56
November 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Just to clarify. Drag the status bar on top of the phone down and you'll see the USB storage option.

Woa! Bloody awesome!

I was just expecting Ubuntu to automount it. Probably would have taken me a while to stumble across that one. :)

This is the first smart phone I've ever owned, and so far I love it. Can't wait to start writing stuff for it.

alextor98682
November 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Yes guiys that works awesome, but Man oh man so does the blue tooth file transfers... I bouht the blue tooth adapters at Wally world for $20.00 plugged it in My ubuntu machine and paired it to my Droid. when sending s file you right click on the file you want to send and the pull down the blue tooth device and click send. a notification on the droid prompts you to accept, you push accept and then in a few secs. ofr mins. depending on the file size you have it on your Droid. It works flawless. The 2 best things happened to me when i changed to Ubuntu and now bought my Droid and synced it to ubuntu..... Yeah Baby !!!!!!:popcorn:

isleshocky77
November 16th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Yes guiys that works awesome, but Man oh man so does the blue tooth file transfers... I bouht the blue tooth adapters at Wally world for $20.00 plugged it in My ubuntu machine and paired it to my Droid. when sending s file you right click on the file you want to send and the pull down the blue tooth device and click send. a notification on the droid prompts you to accept, you push accept and then in a few secs. ofr mins. depending on the file size you have it on your Droid. It works flawless. The 2 best things happened to me when i changed to Ubuntu and now bought my Droid and synced it to ubuntu..... Yeah Baby !!!!!!:popcorn:

Can you go into more detail about this? I was able to pair my ubuntu 9.10 and droid without problems, but now it just says on the phone "paired but not connected". I can't figure out how to get them to connect for sending of files to work.

Thanks.

alextor98682
November 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
OK, so they,are paired. Great now all you do is right click n the file you want to send to your Droid, it will as if you want to send to floppy,CD, hard drive,select the pull down menu, and select blue tooth, there you will see your phone listed, just click send.Then you'll see in the Droid modification bar at the top of the phone, a Bluetooth icon select it, a prompt box appear, slecet receive file, you will notice the file transfer bar start to show that you are transferring the file. If you connect the awfully short, USB cable it will show. In the notification bar, USB icon, click that and then a prompt will appear to ask to mount, push mount, the you can use Nautilus to copy and paste files from your PC to Droid. Any files you send via Bluetooth will go into a file that the Droid create as Bluetooth. Happy file transferring. ....

y0diggity
November 20th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Hey thanks! This was very helpful, but I have another question if you can help - How do I send files from my Droid to my Ubuntu machine? It's 9.10 and I can't seem to get it get it to happen. It keeps saying it failed. I'd like to transfer my videos from my phone to my laptop without having to use the usb cable. That's just sooooo old fashioned...
:)

tacantara
November 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I may be getting the Droid for Christmas, so this is exciting news. My question is, will I be able to sync calendar and task lists, etc? With my Palm Centro, I can sync to Evolution. I'm guessing that those sync features will be directly to Google Calendar, etc., and not to Evolution or Thunderbird (or any other Linux mail client). Does anyone have any experience with syncing "personal organization data?"

SOLUTION: Evolution's calendar has a feature that syncs with Google Calendar. Contact data can also be synced. Looks like I'll be working more on my Google account now :)

BillyC333
November 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I cannot get my DROID to connect to Ubuntu. The USB option in the status bar never shows. Any idea how to fix this?

Swmmrman
March 9th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Just got my droid. Plugged in to the comp. Followed instructions :) So do i need to create a folder for the music?

themusicwave
March 17th, 2010, 02:52 AM
You can put the music wherever you want. It indexes all MP3s on the phone. I made a music folder for convenience.

I've been unable to figure out how to bluetooth transfer files from my droid. I have ASTRO file manager and if I click a file and hit send it says the connection was refused.

Also, when I send files from my laptop to the droid via bluetooth only certain extensions seem to work like MP3.

Any Ideas?

alextor98682
March 30th, 2010, 02:31 AM
You can put the music wherever you want. It indexes all MP3s on the phone. I made a music folder for convenience.

I've been unable to figure out how to bluetooth transfer files from my droid. I have ASTRO file manager and if I click a file and hit send it says the connection was refused.

Also, when I send files from my laptop to the droid via bluetooth only certain extensions seem to work like MP3.

Any Ideas?

On the Droid are you accepting the file? You will get notification in the notification area, you must accept the file on the phone. I don't use astro so i am not familiar with that. As for the file extensions, i am pretty sure that only the MP4, MP3, DOC, PDF, TXT files will send all others are more than likely not recognised by the phones various apps. Hope this helps...HAppy Ubuntu and Droiding.....