PDA

View Full Version : Linux for netbook

ltwinner
November 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM
My brother bought a netbook and currently uses it with windows xp. However he said it has started to run really slowly lately and I suggested that he give linux a shot. He uses it solely for browsing the net, writing the odd word document, and keeping a todo list on his desktop. So basically he'd be installing firefox, open office and rainlendar on a linux system. The main features he needs are quick boot and shutdown times and a very lightweight distro as the netbook to make the most of the netbook's limited power.

So anyone got suggestions on what distro would be right for him?

speedwell68
November 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix or EasyPeasy Linux. Personally I would favour UNR 9.10 I have to say it is very slick.

t0p
November 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Depending on type of netbook:

I've got an EeePC and use Eeebuntu on it very satisfactorily.

For other netbooks, plain old Ubuntu will work nicely. I don't like the interface on Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but other users love it. Download both isos, make live usbs (or live cds if the machine has a cd drive) and try 'em out.

ZankerH
November 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
+ for eeebuntu on the eee line. Otherwise, plain old ubuntu or Debian unstable.

The next version of eeebuntu, currently scheduled for a december release, will be based on Debian unstable (and no longer on ubuntu), so you might as well cut out the middleman and put Debian unstable on it yourself. I tried it on an eee pc 901 and an acer aspire one, and it works perfectly.

The Funkbomb
November 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I just installed masonux on my netbook the other day. I like it. It's an extremely stripped down version of Ubuntu with the LX desktop environment. It's pretty quick and does what I want which is pretty similar to what your brother wants to do. I haven't used rainlender on it though.

I believe the project's owner is a member here named Earthpigg (sorry if I got your name wrong).

John Bean
November 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Note: If the netbook happens to be the popular MSI Wind U100 (or one of its clones like my Advent 4211) then the current Karmic (9.10) version simply won't install, indeed the live image won't even load. Fortunately the previous Jaunty (9.04) version works very well either as a netbook remix or a normal Ubuntu/GNOME desktop with pretty much everything working perfectly from a default install.

ltwinner
November 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
From what I understand ubuntu netbook remix is just plain ubuntu with a interface designed for netbooks. So I can't see that having optimized boot and shutdown times and being lightweight. He seriously needs just 4 apps. Firefox, open office, rainlendar and a music player. Ubuntu comes with tons of apps he will never use and will have lots of unnecessary process running in the background.

mivo
November 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It really depends on the netbook. My HP 2140 works better with XP than with any distro I have live booted. Wireless usually works, but not all LEDs, suspend/hiernate doesn't work, and neither does the mic. If I didn't need it for work, I would put Arch on it and install stuff from scratch. Eventually I'll do that. XP does run very fast on it, though, so there is no pressure. :)

anaconda
November 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't recomment UNR, because it is really slow on my (1 year old) acer aspire one.

Even plain ubuntu would propably be lighter. Atleast normal ubuntu is smaller.

And I would also recommend abiword instead of (or in additon to) openoffice, because openoffice is also quite slow with the atom processor..

I am planning to do a custom installation of ubuntu to my netbook. With a lighter window manager than gnome.. But that is just me.

^_Pepe_^
November 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hi!

I have a Medion Akoya Mini E1210 (clone of MSI Wind) here. Very happy with 9.04. Everything worked from flawlessly from fresh install, and reasonably faster than XP.

Can anybody confirm that 9.10 doesn't work in this HW as I read above???? :(

I'll try a LiveCD this weekend...

Regards,
^_Pepe_^

Bungo Pony
November 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Using Xubuntu 8.04 on mine, and it runs fantastic. I couldn't get UNR to boot off a flash drive, so I gave up on it. Xubuntu was the easiest way to go and it's light on resources.

lancest
November 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Easypeasy 1.5 ran excellent on my MSI Wind and I can recommend it since it has the .30 kernel with nice speed improvements. Right now I'm running Karmic (alternate cd install) and if they don't fix the brightness issue soon I will consider going back to EP.

kcox5342
November 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm using eeebuntu 3.01 NBR on an Acer Aspire One D-150. It's great, the wifi driver was installed automatically, it has a kernel designed for the netbook, and only a few issues with things like suspend, the built-in mic, and the like.

Two things you haven't mentioned which might have a big impact on whatever OS you're running - the CPU speed and your RAM. Netbooks are anywhere from 900mhz to dual 1.6 Ghz processors. They also come with less than their full potential amount of RAM (the manufacturers do this to cheap out) - check how much RAM you're using in Windows, if it's running out and can be upgraded that might be your bottleneck. Or install Linux and enjoy an OS that doesn't use as much RAM to begin with. I've got 2GB in this netbook, but I've never seen System Monitor say I'm using more than 512MB worth of it, even with all my processes open - Gnome, Firefox 3.5, Akregator, Open Office, Mythtv-frontend even.

I also second the call for Abiword - it's smaller and more responsive, provided all you need is word processing and not the other Office stuff.

BigSilly
November 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
The Karmic UNR is running beautifully on our very basic Eee PC 701 4GB Surf. Quicker to boot and shutdown than the last version of Easy Peasy we used, and not slow at all in general use.

We love it. :)

Dark Hornet
November 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I to run the Karmic version...and it runs great.

speedwell68
November 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't recomment UNR, because it is really slow on my (1 year old) acer aspire one.

And I would also recommend abiword instead of (or in additon to) openoffice, because openoffice is also quite slow with the atom processor..

I am planning to do a custom installation of ubuntu to my netbook. With a lighter window manager than gnome.. But that is just me.

It is as quick as you like on my Acer Aspire One A150.

TheLastDodo
November 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix or EasyPeasy Linux. Personally I would favour UNR 9.10 I have to say it is very slick.

Meh, nevermind... I should've read through all the comments in the thread first. ;)

ralanyo
November 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I just bought a netbook with XP on it because it was less expensive than the newer ones with windows 7. A lot of you are talking about revised distro's, can I just install regular ubuntu on it?

NE Key
November 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I just bought a netbook with XP on it because it was less expensive than the newer ones with windows 7. A lot of you are talking about revised distro's, can I just install regular ubuntu on it?

Yes. but the netbook remix is designed to make the most of a small screen.

Don't forget - you can download, make a bootable USB and then run it on your machine WITHOUT changing your set-up. Then, if you like it, you can install.

mivo
November 6th, 2009, 04:26 PM

You can, but the special editions are often more optimized and configured for netbook use. Before you remove XP, try a live version to make sure that your netbook's features work still. Mine only works fully with XP, but I haven't done any fiddling yet.

Warpnow
November 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM

For the acer aspire one, check out kuki linux. www.kuki.me

Its very nice. Uses XFCE (but not akin to xubuntu) and lightweight applications.

Swagman
November 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
My Daughter EeePC 701 runs 9:04 beautifully but thwn she click the upgrade distro it said she never had enough space left !!

Oh well... Jaunty runs sweet as.

sjosul
November 8th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I ran Jaunty on my 2140 and everything worked, with a bit of tweaking. A fresh install of Karmic (I used the entire harddrive, so it was a default install) has worked perfectly. The only "issue" was the need to install wireless drivers, which the restricted drivers plugin identified in the first 5 mins. Otherwise, it works perfectly (compiz, transparent cube and all). Hibernate relies on having a large enough swap, but as I said, it was a default install.

Michaeljs1990
November 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i have a EEE pc 701 running ubuntu netbook remix and it works awesome i actually wrote a whole post on this in my blog here and reviewed it here is the link (http://www.michaeljs1990.blogspot.com/2009/10/asus-eee-pc-701sd.html)

Michael