PDA

View Full Version : Bash Abuse

Freelance Physicist
November 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
So, occasionally, I like to write programs in inefficient ways just to watch the computer thrash around (especially if the code becomes rather obfuscated in the process (I don't know what's wrong with me)). Anyway, I decided to write a recursive Fibonacci number calculator in BASH like so:

#!/bin/bash

# Takes one integer argument ($1) and returns "$1"th Fibonacci number

if [ $1 -lt 1 ] # return zero for arguments less than one
then
echo 0
exit
fi

if [ $1 -lt 3 ] # the first and second Fibonacci numbers are 1
then
echo 1
exit
fi

a=$1 # store argument in $a
echo $(( $($0 $((--a))) + $($0 $((--a))) ))
## ^ ^ ^ ^
## fib.sh ^ fib.sh ^
## ^ decrement $a ^ decrement $a (again)
exit

This is saved as fib.sh. As you can see, for each level of recursion, two new process of fib.sh is run (in other words, don't try to find the 40th Fibonacci number with this program), the first with $a-1, the second with $a-2--or, so I thought. I thought that $((--a)) decrements the value of a before returning its value. It ends up that both of the $((--a)) return the same number. For example, if I run this as $ ./fib 4, the final command translates to

echo $(( $(./fib.sh 3) + $(./fib.sh 3) ))

instead of

echo $(( $(./fib.sh 3) + $(./fib.sh 2) ))

and I end up having to use

echo $(( $($0 $((--a))) + $($0 $((--a-1))) ))

instead (mush less elegant).

However, if I run the following commands on the command line:

$ a=5
$ echo $((--a)) $((--a))
"4 3" is returned as expected.

Am I missing something, or could this be a bug in bash?

falconindy
November 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Why not use --a and a-- ?

jpkotta
November 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
The $() is creating a subshell, and the $a in that shell is local to it. Thus the script's shell can't see the changes.

$ echo $BASH_SUBSHELL
$ echo $(echo $BASH_SUBSHELL)
$ echo $(($BASH_SUBSHELL))

Freelance Physicist
November 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks, jpkotta. That makes sense. Too bad, using $((--a)) twice would have been sneakier than $((a-1)) and $((a-2)). Ah, well.

@falconindy: It's like the c++ operators. $((--foo)) decrements foo then returns its value. $((foo--)) returns the value of foo then decrements it.

foo=5
echo $((--foo)) $((foo--))

The returns "4 4" and leaves the value of $foo at 3. I need the decremented value in both cases.

Sockerdrickan
November 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
So, occasionally, I like to write programs in inefficient ways just to watch the computer thrash around

I LoL'd irl.