PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet settings

4Wheeler
November 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I am new to ubuntu 9.04 and am having some annoying issues with Firefox 3.5.3. On many of the websites that I visit regularly, the text is squished together and many of the words are layered on top of each other, making it difficult to read. Is there a setting within Firefox that I am missing or something that I need to add within the package manager? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

bribera
November 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
You likely need to install the msttcorefonts package. Many websites are designed to display fonts that are packaged with Windows but not Linux; this package makes things look much better.

Try this:

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
sudo fc-cache -fv

4Wheeler
November 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I installed the msttcorefonts package and nothing changed. The same websites are still having issues. It is really strange - words overlap on top of each other and I cannot read some sentences on the sites. Maybe something else might work?

darshana
November 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Can you downgrade your Firefox to some older version like Firefox 3.0.13. You can use Synaptic Pacakage Manager

bribera
November 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Are you perhaps just zoomed in? Try hitting Ctrl + 0 (that's a Zero, not an Oh) to reset your FF zoom level.

freackout
November 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
You likely need to install the msttcorefonts package. Many websites are designed to display fonts that are packaged with Windows but not Linux; this package makes things look much better.

Try this:

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
sudo fc-cache -fv

may be
sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation
not 100% sure but try it plz