PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Good Tv Card?

RedSingularity
November 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Has anyone tried TV cards in ubuntu? I am thinking about buying one and wanted to know if anyone has messed with one in linux before.

Maheriano
November 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I tried a few days ago. Nobody answered.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311496

andrewc6l
November 5th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Try asking in the Mythbuntu forum - lots of TV card users there :-) I personally have a couple of pcHDTV 5500s that work very well in Mythbuntu 9.04.

RedSingularity
November 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Good idea. I will check the mythbuntu forums.
:)

howefield
November 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hauppauge have good linux support in my experience.

A search of the forums would show this question is asked fairly regularly with various suggestions proffered.

dazer26
November 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have a hauppaugge hvr 1600, and with 9.10 it works out of the box with myth-tv. Earlier versions of ubuntu you need to update the driver as there is an audio issue with the older drivers. As far as I know this card only works with mythtv, which is a great program (with a million features you will never use), but can be a little complex to setup. you can find instructions here.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600

This card has 2 inputs too, one analog, and the other for over the air digital, and I think it can record from both at the same time (haven't personally tried the digital half of the card yet).

oregonbob
December 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I also have a Hauppauge HVR-1600 and it works with MythTV as long as you are familiar enough with MythTV's many settings and configurations. Overall my TV card has been a pain in linux. MythTV works satisfactorily byt I hate MythTV. I would love to get my tuner working for over-the-air digital video (ordinary) TV on something like VLC that is not as full-screen and inflexible as MythTV. I'm no expert but it looks like if you use MythTV on your linux box that is the only app you use while it is running. It is full screen only. VLC and similar players can go full screen or just pop down to a small window while you are actually working on the machine.

I have seen some outrageously complicated command lines for VLC, but they only work for European TV apparently. There are so many options to set that are cryptic one must be a video/TV expert to get it working.

Of course it all works perfectly under Windows, but I'd rather use Ubuntu. This is one of those things where linux has not caught up to Windows platforms yet.

If anyone ever gets digital video broadcast TV working on VLC, I would love to learn how they did it.

jimmers
December 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Don't know if this reply will be of any use to you guys but I use an :-
AVerTV Digi Volar EX, ok it is usb, but it works extremely well with Kaffeine (Not VLC), not that I have tried, Kaffeine gives me 40 TV Stations and 26 Radio Stations.
But they do PCI Cards, and express cards.
And no great learning curve either, I plugged it in with an arial, started kaffeine, then scanned for channels, and as they say the rest is history.
Check out the websites
www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/
www.averm.co.uk/

You don't know until you try.

Hope you succeed

jimmers