PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] DVD drive failing, "Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0"



ilja
November 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic 2.6.31-14-generic

Hardware:
Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
IDE1: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB PATA (ST3320620A)
IDE2: Samsung DVDRW SH-S222A PATA

I can't seem to get my DVD drive to work reliably. I've searched the forums and googled around a bit, but couldn't find any solutions. I did find people with similar problems though.

Issue #1: I/O errors when reading, burning fails at verification. I have actually gotten a few successful burns and can play a DVD movie (with the I/O errors), but the problem persists. I just seem to get a different result every time.

dmesg


[ 1176.601603] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1176.601610] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1176.601615] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[ 1176.601621] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 1176.601627] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[ 1176.603731] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1176.603736] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1176.603740] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[ 1176.603745] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 1176.603750] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[ 1176.643589] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1176.643596] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1176.643601] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[ 1176.643608] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 1176.643614] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
[ 1176.646081] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1176.646088] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1176.646093] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical block address out of range
[ 1176.646099] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
[ 1176.646105] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0


Issue #2: Drive "limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable". And yes I have an 80-wire cable. I've tried a couple of cables, swapped the drive around and even bought a new cable. Same difference.

dmesg|grep ata


[ 0.000000] BIOS-e820: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
[ 0.000000] modified: 000000007fff3000 - 0000000080000000 (ACPI data)
[ 0.000000] #0 [0000000000 - 0000001000] BIOS data page ==> [0000000000 - 0000001000]
[ 0.000000] PERCPU: Embedded 14 pages at c203d000, static data 35612 bytes
[ 0.000000] Memory: 2052624k/2097088k available (4565k kernel code, 43096k reserved, 2143k data, 540k init, 1187784k highmem)
[ 0.000000] .data : 0xc0575554 - 0xc078d308 (2143 kB)
[ 0.153139] libata version 3.00 loaded.
[ 0.412896] cpufreq-nforce2: FSB changing is maybe unstable and can lead to crashes and data loss.
[ 0.840805] pata_amd 0000:00:09.0: version 0.4.1
[ 0.840864] pata_amd 0000:00:09.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 0.840963] scsi0 : pata_amd
[ 0.841067] scsi1 : pata_amd
[ 0.841859] ata1: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 bmdma 0xf000 irq 14
[ 0.841863] ata2: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xf008 irq 15
[ 1.059057] ata1.00: ATA-7: ST3320620A, 3.AAE, max UDMA/100
[ 1.059061] ata1.00: 625142448 sectors, multi 16: LBA48
[ 1.108865] ata1.01: ATA-7: ST3320620A, 3.AAC, max UDMA/100
[ 1.108869] ata1.01: 625142448 sectors, multi 16: LBA48
[ 1.108893] ata1: nv_mode_filter: 0x3f39f&0x3f39f->0x3f39f, BIOS=0x3f000 (0xc6c6c500) ACPI=0x3f01f (20:20:0x1f)
[ 1.108899] ata1: nv_mode_filter: 0x3f39f&0x3f39f->0x3f39f, BIOS=0x3f000 (0xc6c6c500) ACPI=0x3f01f (20:20:0x1f)
[ 1.158915] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 1.200321] ata1.01: configured for UDMA/100
[ 1.364331] ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A, SB02, max UDMA/66
[ 1.364357] ata2: nv_mode_filter: 0x1f39f&0x1f39f->0x1f39f, BIOS=0x1f000 (0xc6c6c500) ACPI=0x1f01f (30:600:0x13)
[ 1.364361] ata2.00: limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable
[ 1.380265] ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
[ 1.385401] Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 1836k
[ 3.627417] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
[ 5.460532] EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode


hdparm -i /dev/scd0


/dev/scd0:

Model=TSSTcorp, FwRev=SB02, SerialNo=����������������
Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:383,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4
AdvancedPM=no
Drive conforms to: unknown: ATA/ATAPI-3,4,5,6,7

* signifies the current active mode

ilja
November 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm trying out Windows 7 and I seem to be getting some I/O errors there as well. I think I'll just go and return the drive, maybe pick one from another manufacturer and see what happens. I've tried different cables, interfaces, combinations, OS's and a firmware upgrade so I guess that leaves hardware failure.

Windows does allow UDMA66 for the drive though, so that problems seems to be separate from the I/O errors.