PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] realtek alc880 spdif

Infamshxr
November 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hello, I installed karmic and and need one of two issues fixed. I'd prefer to get the spdif output working but if not then I guess getti true stereo sound will work instead. Here's the problem, I have a tul ax480a7-f mobo with a realtek alc880 soundcard. Alsa picked up my drivers but when I run aplay -l it doesn't recognize that I have any digital coax ports. I have tried installing the realtek drivers from their site but got an error while either compiling it or doing the make command, can't remember but I do remember that it said it requires curses and that's where it stopped. Either way, idk why it doesn't even recognize the digital coax ports. If I can't get that the other issue is that when I go into the sound preferences and turn the balance all the way to the right I get no sound at all, like its in mono or something, but if its balanced at 0 I hear everything from both sides but it comes through all the speakers instead of just the side its supposed to. Please help asap! I will get working on it again in about 8 Hrs from now.

Infamshxr
November 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
oh, btw....

Northbridge chipset is ATI Radeon Xpress 200P
Southbridge chipset is ULI M1573

Maybe that might help some more. idk

EDIT: I also found this from another thread related to hardy. The person just added this to the end of his alsa-base.conf file:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-digout

If that worked for him, would that work for me? Allowing aplay -l to recognize my digital output instead of just the analog? If so, maybe a better idea to go back to hardy instead of karmic?

Ok, running the hardy live CD right now, not getting much further. I added that code to my alsa-base file. no such luck. here is the output of aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M5461 [HDA ULI M5461], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Whats going on here???

Infamshxr
November 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
bump

anyone??? :-?

starfunker
December 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I think I have the same problem, with the same card. I have no digital capabilities and in the hardware section of the sound preferences, I think I've only got the crappy internal sound card that came with the computer showing.

results of aplay -l

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1

Any ideas how to sort this?

holmesy999
April 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
after hours of searching, I finally get this thread, and note that problem isn't fixed -

I have an old HP desktop computer, which now only has ubuntu 9.10 on it. everything I can do tells me that I have the ALC880 inbuilt sound on the motherboard
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00297771&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=465669&lang=en

the computer has optical in/out on the back - I think you beauty I can connect this up to my amp and away we go. Nothing comes out of the cable to the amp.

I think that the issue is the same as people below - it is being treated as an analogue sound card and I can't find the digital out settings. I too have aplay -l saying

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC880 Analog [ALC880 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1

shouldn't it say digital or something?

and when I go into alsamixer, everyone says to unmute the iec958 or something channel, but there is no such channel for me to unmute / mute - ie it doesn't exist. Right clikcing on the sound icon at the top of the screen, then sound preferences, output tab only displays that it is a internal audio analog stereo

This leaves me thinking either my computer is a big fat liar and doesn't really have optical out to pump sound into an amp (or I am a goose for thinking it did), or that I just can't get ubuntu to realise that I do have a soundcard which can do digital audio out

lidex
April 11th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Install gnome-alsamixer, if not already:

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
Run it and go to the "Edit>Sound Card Properties" menu. Make sure all the IEC958 entries are selected. Close that. Now on the soundcard tab for the device in question enable IEC958.

lidex
April 11th, 2010, 10:48 AM
As for alsa-base.conf options, here are what you can select from:

ALC880
======
3stack 3-jack in back and a headphone out
3stack-digout 3-jack in back, a HP out and a SPDIF out
5stack 5-jack in back, 2-jack in front
5stack-digout 5-jack in back, 2-jack in front, a SPDIF out
6stack 6-jack in back, 2-jack in front
6stack-digout 6-jack with a SPDIF out
w810 3-jack
z71v 3-jack (HP shared SPDIF)
asus 3-jack (ASUS Mobo)
asus-w1v ASUS W1V
asus-dig ASUS with SPDIF out
asus-dig2 ASUS with SPDIF out (using GPIO2)
uniwill 3-jack
fujitsu Fujitsu Laptops (Pi1536)
F1734 2-jack
lg LG laptop (m1 express dual)
lg-lw LG LW20/LW25 laptop
tcl TCL S700
clevo Clevo laptops (m520G, m665n)
medion Medion Rim 2150
test for testing/debugging purpose, almost all controls can be
adjusted. Appearing only when compiled with
$CONFIG_SND_DEBUG=y
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

A stack represents an audio jack, so 3 audio jacks=3stack. 3 jacks + Digital out= 3stack-dig, etc. To the OP: never heard of tul but there is an option for tcl.

lidex
April 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
It would also help to install alsa-backports. Info is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems/KarmicCaveats

If nothing helps you can try a full alsa upgrade by clicking the alsa-upgrade-script link in my sig.

holmesy999
April 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
As for alsa-base.conf options, here are what you can select from:

ALC880
======
3stack 3-jack in back and a headphone out
3stack-digout 3-jack in back, a HP out and a SPDIF out
A stack represents an audio jack, so 3 audio jacks=3stack. 3 jacks + Digital out= 3stack-dig, etc. To the OP: never heard of tul but there is an option for tcl.

I think this fixed it for me (although I did all your other steps as mentioned) - for some reason I found on another post that my alsa-base.conf file should be 3stack-dig (ie missing the "out" at the end) - but now I have all the iec958 to unmute, and now have music pumping into my amp - thanks heaps!

lidex
April 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I think this fixed it for me (although I did all your other steps as mentioned) - for some reason I found on another post that my alsa-base.conf file should be 3stack-dig (ie missing the "out" at the end) - but now I have all the iec958 to unmute, and now have music pumping into my amp - thanks heaps!

You're welcome. Enjoy.