PDA

View Full Version : Begging?

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Is what I think whenever I see http://i38.tinypic.com/rbea1g.jpg.

xuCGC002
November 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
On open-source project sites? :mad:

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Yeah.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
sounds like someone wants to make a living. begging it is not.

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 03:49 AM

okay...

The Funkbomb
November 5th, 2009, 03:49 AM
That's not begging. That's asking for support. It's just the same as asking someone to join a project and donate time.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2009, 03:59 AM
What's wrong with begging?

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM
What's wrong with begging?

Well depending on the situation, it's kind of pathetic.

Of coarse if you're in desperate need, then there's no wrong in begging.

RiceMonster
November 5th, 2009, 04:05 AM
It's a small button showing you the option is available. It's not like it's in your face forcing you to do it.

bonfire89
November 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. I actually did it once. Maybe if I wasn't a poor student I would do it more. Sometimes I almost feel bad getting all this stuff for so cheap... aka free

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Well depending on the situation, it's kind of pathetic.

Of coarse if you're in desperate need, then there's no wrong in begging.

You have not because you ask not.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
If someone donated $15 to my Paypal account, I'd work on my program (Blacklight (https://launchpad.net/blacklight)) for an hour longer than I'd normally work on it (which is basically, once in a blue moon!).

Things to do to Blacklight:

1. Add thumbnail support
2. Add extra options to the GUI frontend and make sure it still works
3. Release the new version with the imrovements I've made to date (involves Debian packaging)
4. Package ffmpeg for 32-bit and 64-bit with AAC support for use with Karmic
5. Re-create the old "binary installer" for non-Debian distros.

If you want to donate to Blacklight... well, send me a PM and I'll send you the Donate link (I don't want to be done for spamming the forum).

So no, I don't think of the donate button as begging. I think of it as paying the developer to improve the program. If you didn't pay the developer, they wouldn't put in extra time - or they might have to work longer hours at their normal job to make ends meet and thus lose time for their project.

gn2
November 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Well your thinking is wrong.
Howabout you come to my house and wash my car and I'll not pay you for your time?

chris200x9
November 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM

people like you are why I'm seriously considering releasing my game (if I ever finish it) closed source and charging $1-$3 to download.

Swagman
November 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
The clue is in the word... Donate

hoppipolla
November 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM
yeah this is a bit silly edin, I mean these people are kind enough to release their software to you for free. Free. All they are doing is saying "If you would like to thank us or show your appreciation financially, here is how you can do it"

They need to eat edin, or at least have enough through their project to keep it going! :)

mick222
November 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
The clue is in the word... Donate

Agreed do you expect people to work for nothing, if you like a project and can't help with the programming it shows some appreciation of their work.

amingv
November 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM

These people are not hobos* who want your money.
If the program is useful to you and kept you from spending $100 in proprietary software, there's nothing wrong in donating $10 to the cause.

It's like when you tip the pizza guy, it's just a form of "thanks for the good service".

Your interpretation of people who give their work for free and ask for optional expontaneous donations makes you sound rather contemptuous and miserable.

*With no offence to hobos or homeless people, who have it very hard to begin with.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
op = clueless.

do you still live at home? do you work?

Eisenwinter
November 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I think any free software user who is able to donate some amount of money, will do that, regardless of the "Paypal Donate" button.

I know I'd rather to have an immediate link through that button, than have to navigate through several pages on the website in order to donate.

Regarding begging.

I wouldn't really consider it begging, it just shows you the option is available.

Case one - option is available at your choice:

You can donate if you want to, and we'll appreciate that,
but even if you don't donate, it's fine :)

Case two - begging:

Please, donate. Please, we really need it.
Please, come on, please, just donate and we'll give you anything you want.
Please.

Notice the difference? Others may be able to explain it better than me.

yossell
November 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
"Begging"

Then you're confused.

benj1
November 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
so a programmer releases a program, goes to the trouble of releasing it, packaging it up for installation, answering questions, adding features that arent useful to him, dealing with bug fixes that may not be relevant to him, and possibly incurring financial loss due to server costs, isn't allowed to put up a link for donations?

and thats before we get on to the point that you are visiting their site, it isnt as if theyre pushing it on you, if you dont want to see the signs dont use the programs or visit their sites.

Theres also the fact that you have the definition of begging completely wrong. begging is asking for money without providing anything in return, when you go to a shop they dont beg you for payment, at the end of the month you dont beg for your pay packet, begging is a drunk person coming up to you asking for 50p for a 'mug of tea'.

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
op = clueless.

do you still live at home? do you work?

No & kind of.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
edin9, where'd you disappear to? lol

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
edin9, where'd you disappear to? lol

?

nubimax
November 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I like what you said Benj1. when I see that little button on a program that I have downloaded I'm good for 10/20 dollars sometimes I think it should be more but the pension only goes so far.
M.

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
They need to eat edin, or at least have enough through their project to keep it going! :)

Yeah, but if they were doing that because they needed to eat, they would be writing closed source commercial software. :)

benj1
November 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but if they were doing that because they needed to eat, they would be writing closed source commercial software. :)
there isnt anything contradictory about making open source software and making a living, i do agree though that i wouldnt want to rely on donations in order to eat, but i think it would be nice if the biggest projects could support at least the main developer full time.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
That's not begging. That's asking for support. It's just the same as asking someone to join a project and donate time.
Agreed

@ Edin,
If you enjoy and use a project and would like to contribute, you can join and help code. But if you cant code and still want to see the project grow and get better, then there is the option to help donate that way the devs can spend more time coding the project and less time trying to make money to feed their families.

Sporkman
November 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
yeah, but if they were doing that because they needed to eat, they would be writing closed source commercial software. :)

zing! :)

00ber n00b
November 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I need to make one of those for myself... ;)

lethalfang
November 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
It's a small button showing you the option is available. It's not like it's in your face forcing you to do it.

I agree.
If you ask just once for support, it's not begging.
Begging is repeatedly harassing you for cash until you have to run away or give in.

lethalfang
November 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Or they could also be paid to write open source software.
The majority of open source codes are written by professional programmers paid to write open source softwares.
That is a fact.

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Agreed

@ Edin,
If you enjoy and use a project and would like to contribute, you can join and help code. But if you cant code and still want to see the project grow and get better, then there is the option to help donate that way the devs can spend more time coding the project and less time trying to make money to feed their families.

I have donated, I only made this thread to see the kind of responses it would get. The result was pretty much what I expected.

infestor
November 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Or they could also be paid to write open source software.
The majority of open source codes are written by professional programmers paid to write open source softwares.
That is a fact.

what is the motive behind it?

hoppipolla
November 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have donated, I only made this thread to see the kind of responses it would get. The result was pretty much what I expected.

lol! You lie! xD

edin9
November 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
lol! You lie! xD

Actually 今幸福, I don't :)

hoppipolla
November 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Actually 今幸福, I don't :)

what is this thing about me being him? lol

KiwiNZ
November 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
This thread can then be considered flame bit . Closed