PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality illustrated: so THAT'S what it means

kevin11951
November 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I am not sure if this has been posted here before, but I thought it was funny...

...and scary if it ever happens :cry:

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/10/net-neutrality.php

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/10/net-neutrality-thumb-550x1224-27419.jpg

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Indeed, net neutrality must be left intact.

ZankerH
November 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM

I give it a couple of years before the general public is too apathetic not to go up in arms and set fire to their ISP's headquarters once this happens.

This is why people need to be taught to expect their personal freedom to extend to software and the internet. As long as the software and the internet are treated as profit platforms for major companies and not just another part of a man's life where he has the same rights and freedoms as anywhere else, this will happen.

FiveSidedPoly
November 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Everyone knows that the internet is a bunch of tubes, those tubes are getting clogged by people downloading free software.

It has to stop, these companies aren't making enough money to buy other smaller companies, and we know that isn't good for the consumers. How can they expect a bailout if they can't buy smaller companies?

Oh, nevermind, I'm full of it.

:lolflag:

The Funkbomb
November 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
The internet has been the great equalizer when it comes to businesses. There are things I would have never known about or have been able to purchase without it.

Why do people want to crush that? I don't get it. The part that really cooks my noodle is that how can ISPs charge for content that isn't even theirs?

t0p
November 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The internet has been the great equalizer when it comes to businesses. There are things I would have never known about or have been able to purchase without it.

Why do people want to crush that? I don't get it?

This is a joke right? Please don't say that you really don't know why some people/groups might want to destroy a "great equalizer"...

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Why do people want to crush that? I don't get it. The part that really cooks my noodle is that how can ISPs charge for content that isn't even theirs?

Its all about control, thats why we have the DMCA and ACTA people trying to control something that cannot be controlled.

The Funkbomb
November 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
This is a joke right? Please don't say that you really don't know why some people/groups might want to destroy a "great equalizer"...

I understand why. I just don't understand in the same way how I don't understand racists.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I understand why. I just don't understand in the same way how I don't understand racists.

Its stupidity no matter what you call it

t0p
November 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM

Humans are a complicated bunch. I prefer dogs. And wildebeest. And plankton.

bonfire89
November 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM
eeeek

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I look at Net Neutrality and go "OH NO!"

Then I think of the repercussions of a company doing it, and then I realize why it hasn't been implemented and why it won't be implemented. We'd have another Microsoft ISP case of Anti-Trust.

SomeGuyDude
November 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM

The two aren't really comparable at all. From a business and ISP's point of view, there are hundreds of totally legitimate reasons why they'd LOVE to demolish net neutrality, all of which center around getting more money out of you, the consumer.

Racism is a byproduct of fear which is, itself, a byproduct of ignorance.

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
The two aren't really comparable at all. From a business and ISP's point of view, there are hundreds of totally legitimate reasons why they'd LOVE to demolish net neutrality, all of which center around getting more money out of you, the consumer.

Racism is a byproduct of fear which is, itself, a byproduct of ignorance.
Microsoft wants to have a stronger hold on hardware so they can lock-in computer users to one computer. I'm not going to lie, that's probably what they want; they make more money this way. Thing is, they can't for various legal reasons. The same thing applies to ISP's. Once they block certain sites, Anti-Trust lawsuits will fly around because one network is being favored over another on a public service.

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks for that image. It's sometimes difficult to explain to people what the "net neutrality" issue is all about, but that image makes it easier to explain.