PDA

View Full Version : laptop help

timinator94
November 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hello ubuntuians,
I have An intresting problem. My mom has a dell inspiron 1501 laptop that fell about a foot and broke. As i type she is going to get a new one and she gave me the old one to try and repair. Im a 14 year old who is the it guy for my uncles buisness. I can build and repair desktops of any flavor but i have little expierence with laptops. So i could use some help. I want to repair it to put ubuntu on it. The computer screen has no responce when i push the power button but all lights flash like normal. usb ports are responsive to charge. Caps loc and scroll lock(lights) are non responsive even after 10 min after i push the power button. I hooked an external monitor to it and got no monitor response. Checked the ram to makesure it was inplace and it was. Still no response. Any help is appreciated.
Thanx
Timinator94

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
wrong subforum ^_^

amingv
November 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Try opening it up (remove the cover), see if anything has come loose or broke. Check if CPU and monitor/video controller are plugged correctly.
Be careful, though, as laptops tend to be trickier to open when compared to desktops.

It can't have such a severe damage from falling off a foot, if it does then that must be the weakest laptop I've seen :).

timinator94
November 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Try opening it up (remove the cover), see if anything has come loose or broke. Check if CPU and monitor/video controller are plugged correctly.
Be careful, though, as laptops tend to be trickier to open when compared to desktops.

It can't have such a severe damage from falling off a foot, if it does then that must be the weakest laptop I've seen :).
thanx for your help i fixed it but i was too late my mom bought another one{sigh} guess that means i get to use it:grin:

amingv
November 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Great! :)
Just curious, though, what was the problem?

timinator94
November 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Great! :)
Just curious, though, what was the problem?
I have no clue:confused: I just took the computer apart, blew all of the dust out and put it back together:biggrin: