PDA

View Full Version : "Hole in the Linux kernel allows root access" - Do we have to worry?

MasterNetra
November 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
There is mention of some hole in the linux kernel that could allow someone to access the system with root privilages, sense root account is disabled by default is it something us Ubuntu users have to be concerned about?

See Article for details.
Article: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Hole-in-the-Linux-kernel-allows-root-access-850016.html

RiceMonster
November 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
This vulnerability was fixed a few months ago.

Foster Grant
November 4th, 2009, 06:44 PM
According to the (somewhat inaccurate, IMHO) summary on Slashdot, the bug is "mitigated" in most major distros at this point. Apparently it's not fixed yet in Red Hat Enterprise Linux. How that translates into "virtually all production versions in use at the moment (are) vulnerable" (as the /. summary quoting the article says) I don't understand, unless you count the fact that it's fixed via workaround rather than via code in the kernel.

I think I should file a bug report on the writer himself for that one. :)

MasterNetra
November 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Oh ok, so thats a no we don't have to worry about it. ^.^

Xbehave
November 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
if you have a kernel before 2.6.32 yes, ubuntu does have root, you just can't login as root. The vulnerability is minimised unless you have wine or dosbox installed in which case it is still there. If you run

cat /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr

if you get 0 you are bulnerable
if you get >0 you are safe

edit erm when i said >0 i think i was wrong it has to be a big number

Xoanan
November 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi All

I read this article; Is this affecting all distros? The article did not specify as far as I can tell

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-11-04-017-35-SC-KN

cariboo
November 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
According to the article, you will only be affected if you use wine or dosemu. It wouldn't surprise me to see a kernel update in the next couple of days.

solitaire
November 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Think it's all Linux versions on kernels BELOW 2.6.32- which are prone to this issue.

So that's probably affecting everyone, except the people compiling their own latest 2.6.32 kernels.

What kernel is Lucid Lynx (or what ever 10.04 is called) going to be using?

rookcifer
November 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
While this bug has not been fixed in the kernel yet, almost all distros have "worked around" it by adjusting the mmap_min_addr value. Karmic has fixed this issue by default already. The only major distro to not fix it is Fedora.

Here's how you can check if you are vulnerable:

If that command returns a value other than 0, you are safe. (My Karmic install returns 65536). If you do see 0, then you can fix it by typing:

sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr="65536"

This exploit is actually over a month old and it fails me why this is even news at all. This article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/linux_kernel_vulnerability/) goes into more detail. And this article (http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Security-Hole-in-Kernel-Allows-Privilege-Extensions) provides the fix I just posted.

Again, no Ubuntu users have anything to worry about here.

TheForumTroll
November 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I get a 0 from that command. I'm using Karmic..

ad_267
November 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM

Same here, I have Wine installed. I'm not particularly worried though.

rookcifer
November 5th, 2009, 12:45 AM

As the second article I posted suggests, Wine is causing this. I don't run Wine, so I am still using the default 65535 value that Karmic provides.

Sir Jasper
November 5th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Hi rookcipher,

Thank you for posting both the test and the fix (where I had a 0 value and needed to start the fix with ¨sudo¨).

I did not read the articles and I use 9.04 and Wine; which seems to still be working, I assume as expected, after applying the fix.

My regards

3rdalbum
November 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Ubuntu ships with that magic number at a high value; the exploit only works when the number is set to 0 (which happens if Wine or DOSbox is installed).

Funnily enough, Wine still seems to work if you set the number to 1.

cariboo
November 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Lucid is already running 2.6.32:

Linux alexis-lucid 2.6.32-2-generic #2-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 31 17:06:33 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

FuturePilot
November 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I thought this was already fixed? (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/413656)

TheForumTroll
November 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
As the second article I posted suggests, Wine is causing this. I don't run Wine, so I am still using the default 65535 value that Karmic provides.

I missed that bit. Thank you for the info :KS

MasterNetra
November 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Doesn't Karmic Come with it fixed?

coldReactive
November 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I thought this was already fixed? (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/413656)

Fix Released NEVER EVER in a million years will EVER equal fix committed.

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Fix Released NEVER EVER in a million years will EVER equal fix committed.

What?

coldReactive
November 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM
What?

One time there was a fix released, but that only meant that the fix was shown to all who would want to commit it.

Fix Released =/= Fix Commited

MasterNetra
November 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
One time there was a fix released, but that only meant that the fix was shown to all who would want to commit it.

Don't you mean Fix Released != Fix Committed ? != (Not Equal)

FuturePilot
November 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM

Are you referring to bugs that are linked from upstream bug trackers in launchpad? If so, then yes sometimes those can be marked as fixed before it makes it into Ubuntu, but I see no such link in that bug report.

I think you're confusing some of the bug status. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status

MrNatewood
November 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
if you have a kernel before 2.6.32 yes, ubuntu does have root, you just can't login as root. The vulnerability is minimised unless you have wine or dosbox installed in which case it is still there. If you run

if you get 0 you are bulnerable
if you get >0 you are safe

edit erm when i said >0 i think i was wrong it has to be a big number

So... How do I keep wine working and not be vulnerable?

coldReactive
November 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
So... How do I keep wine working and not be vulnerable?

Remove Z: which is set to the whole file system /

If you do this however, you'll have to run all your wine apps in drive_c folder from now on.

samjh
November 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Doesn't Karmic Come with it fixed?

Not sure, but when I tried sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr on my Karmic system (with wine installed), it returned 0 which means it would be vulnerable. Whether or not it really is vulnerable is another question, because a default Ubuntu installation has no root account.

BTW, it looks like a diligent member of our community has reported it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dosemu/+bug/401950

So with dosemu or wine installed, it could be (not necessarily is) vulnerable, but I'll leave that to be answered by a member of the security team or other appropriately educated persons.

FuturePilot
November 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Not sure, but when I tried sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr on my Karmic system (with wine installed), it returned 0 which means it would be vulnerable. Whether or not it really is vulnerable is another question, because a default Ubuntu installation has no root account.

BTW, it looks like a diligent member of our community has reported it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dosemu/+bug/401950

So with dosemu or wine installed, it could be (not necessarily is) vulnerable, but I'll leave that to be answered by a member of the security team or other appropriately educated persons.

Ubuntu does have a root account, it's disabled though. So yes it is possible to get a root shell through an exploit.

dixie460
November 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I uninstalled Wine, rebooted, and ran this code
and still got a 0. Do I need to be concerned? I can't find how to take care of this problem anywhere, does anyone on here know how?

Thanks

Andy

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I uninstalled Wine, rebooted, and ran this code
and still got a 0. Do I need to be concerned? I can't find how to take care of this problem anywhere, does anyone on here know how?

Thanks

Andy

Apparently yes for as long as it is zero. However there is a fix and you can still theoretically run Wine.

According to: http://www.itworld.com/security/83917/an-important-linux-fix

All you have to do is sudo the command (sense just entering yields our favorite insufficient access reply):

sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr="1024"

however the 1024 can be any number up to 65535. This fix however is only good until you reboot. Though I suppose you could setup a script or something. How you would do a script for a limited account I have no clue.

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
if you have a kernel before 2.6.32 yes, ubuntu does have root, you just can't login as root. The vulnerability is minimised unless you have wine or dosbox installed in which case it is still there.

FYI, I have dosbox installed and:

sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr

returns "vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536", on Karmic.

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
FYI, I have dosbox installed and:

sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr

returns "vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536", on Karmic.

Ya sure its proper? I mean apparently the highest number is suppose to be 65535?

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
The documentation says : "This file indicates the amount of address space which a user process will be restricted from mmaping."

It's a quantity of memory, so a power of 2 makes sense, although I imagine any amount is legal. No upper bound is mentioned, either.

Quoted from : http://www.linuxinsight.com/proc_sys_vm_mmap_min_addr.html

FuturePilot
November 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ya sure its proper? I mean apparently the highest number is suppose to be 65535?

65536 is correct.

phrostbyte
November 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
This is a local kernel exploit, meaning the hax0r has to already be in your machine in order to root it. That is not a particularly easy thing to do. Secondly, you are only vulnerable to this in Ubuntu if you have Wine installed. This is one of many kernel exploits (most of which have been plugged already) that take advantage of the same issue, null pointer derefs on Intel processors, and unfortunately this is probably not an issue that will ever go away for good on current hardware.

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
This is a local kernel exploit, meaning the hax0r has to already be in your machine in order to root it. That is not a particularly easy thing to do. Secondly, you are only vulnerable to this in Ubuntu if you have Wine installed. This is one of many kernel exploits that take advantage of the same issue, null pointer derefs on Intel processors, and unfortunately this is probably not an issue that will ever go away for good on current hardware.

What he said.

However, user access is relatively easy to obtain. All you need is good old social engineering: "save this to your Desktop and execute it to install a dancing bunny screensaver". Then privilege escalation occurs.

Or ssh'ing with a password dictionary, or with the user's mother's maiden name, etc.

Well, the usual basic security advice applies: get a decent password, don't blindly execute anything.

phrostbyte
November 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
However, user access is relatively easy to obtain. All you need is good old social engineering: "save this to your Desktop and execute it to install a dancing bunny screensaver". Then privilege escalation occurs.

Or ssh'ing with a password dictionary, or with the user's mother's maiden name, etc.

I don't agree with this, first of all, even if there is no privildge escalation vuln on a machine, if you run a random binary from the Internet, regardless if it gets root or not, it is capable of causing havok. Up to and including send over your entire home directory to the hacker, personal files and all. You do not need ROOT to do this, ever! On Windows, there is a a lot of user mode viruses now.

Also by default there is no way to SSH into an Ubuntu computer, even the server edition. This has to be explicitly enabled by installing this (apt:openssh-server).

Well, the usual basic security advice applies: get a decent password, don't blindly execute anything.

++

You should NEVER execute random shell scripts or binaries off the Internet, regardless if you "sudo" it or not.

Personally I think sudo is a stupid idea, I think it gives people a false sense of security. That they can run anything they want as long as they don't sudo it, they will be safe. Well that is wrong.

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't agree with this, first of all, even if there is no privildge escalation vuln on a machine, if you run a random binary from the Internet, regardless if it gets root or not, it is capable of causing havok. Up to and including send over your entire home directory to the hacker, personal files and all. You do not need ROOT to do this, ever! On Windows, there is a a lot of user mode viruses now.

Well, sure. But root access gets *really* interesting if you get it on an large corporation's network, where retrieving data from any user is more interesting than thrashing a single home directory or a single machine, or installing a bot.

Also by default there is no way to SSH into an Ubuntu computer, even the server edition. This has to be explicitly enabled by installing this (apt:openssh-server).

Yes, this is true. But any machine that does have an SSH server installed and is exposed to the Internet *will* get attempts to brute-force one's way for ssh access, and then in the default configuration (accept connection from any address) your last defense is your username/password.

Personally I think sudo is a stupid idea, I think it gives people a false sense of security. That they can run anything they want as long as they don't sudo it, they will be safe. Well that is wrong.

I don't know... The alternative was enabling a root account (which reduces security for brute-forcing password, for starters, since you don't have to guess a username). Then users would think they can run anything as long as they aren't logged as root. With sudo you have a finer control on who can do what and the users make exactly the same (false) assumptions.

MasterNetra
November 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I successfully created a startup script to take care of this each time I reboot.
For those interested: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1320622
^.^ Simple script but does what it is suppose to. :)

xpto09
November 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Hole-in-the-Linux-kernel-allows-root-access-850016.html

http://www.sidux.com/
The current Kernel exploit (http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Hole-in-the-Linux-kernel-allows-root-access-850016.html) will be published very soon and so become exploitable.
Current sidux kernels are not affected.
Every user can test easily by running: sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr
This should return a non-zero value
If it returns zero (possible with quite old sidux kernels) please update your kernel immediately

ubuntu@ubuntu-desktop:~$ sysctl vm.mmap_min_addr
vm.mmap_min_addr = 0

Is this correct?

I am using 9.10
ubuntu@ubuntu-desktop:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu-desktop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Tony Ricena
November 10th, 2009, 01:38 AM
If you are receiving a response of 0 then no..

Have you updated your kernel libs? Use Synaptic Package Manager and see if any of your kernel libs and other programs are updated, if not sometimes its just easier to click on the Mark All Upgrades button. Hope that helps