PDA

View Full Version : debian: newly created user account can access/view files in /home/some1 else' folder

hanzj
November 4th, 2009, 06:13 AM
i just created a new user account on my debian eeepc running lxde. how come the new user (let's say username is: "frienda") can go to my /home/han/ account and access my files?

How can I fix this?

~sHyLoCk~
November 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
i just created a new user account on my debian eeepc running lxde. how come the new user (let's say username is: "frienda") can go to my /home/han/ account and access my files?

How can I fix this?

You will need sudo or root privilege for "frienda" account. Just add "frienda" to /etc/sudoers

hanzj
November 4th, 2009, 06:51 AM
hmmm. doing that will prevent frienda from seeing the /home/han/ folder(s)?

My solution was to go to the file manager (as root) and remove read/write privileges for "groups" and "other users"

snova
November 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Probably because the permissions on your home directory are too relaxed.

Change them to something more restrictive, such as 700.

chmod 700 /home/han

Which is read, write, and execute for yourself and nothing for anyone else.

snova
November 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM

If you give the account sudo access, there is nowhere it cannot see.

My solution was to go to the file manager (as root) and remove read/write privileges for "groups" and "other users"

Effectively the same thing I said previously. Though if it's your home directory, root should not be necessary.

cariboo907
November 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Change each user's home directory permissions to 700, this will prevent other users from accessing each others files:

sudo chmod -R 700 /home/<username>

There is a fairly long thread about the same problem in Unbuntu (Debian=Ubuntu?) :) in recurring if you are interested.

-grubby
November 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Change each user's home directory permissions to 700, this will prevent other users from accessing each others files:

sudo chmod -R 700 /home/<username>

There is a fairly long thread about the same problem in Unbuntu (Debian=Ubuntu?) :) in recurring if you are interested.

You don't want that -R option

ad_267
November 4th, 2009, 07:07 AM
You don't want that -R option

Heh, you edited the post. I was going to say yes you want the 700. Another idea would be:

sudo chmod -R o-r /home/<username>

That way you just remove read privileges for all other users for all files and directories.

snova
November 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Heh, you edited the post. I was going to say yes you want the 700. Another idea would be:

sudo chmod -R o-r /home/<username>

That way you just remove read privileges for all other users for all files and directories.

But it doesn't need to be recursive. As long as nobody can access the home directory itself, you can't access anything underneath it.

ad_267
November 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
But it doesn't need to be recursive. As long as nobody can access the home directory itself, you can't access anything underneath it.

Yeah that's what I thought too but I tested it and it's not true. If you know there's a "Pictures" directory you can cd into it and read everything in there even if the home directory itself isn't readable.

~sHyLoCk~
November 4th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Ah damn I was eating while typed that, multi-tasking isn't really my thing. Sorry I thought you meant you want to give "frienda" permission to access the user's /home directory, which can be done by the method I told you. I didn't read properly.

Exodist
November 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
The default on Lenny is that other users can view your files and access them. But they can not save or delete any data. But that easily fixable.

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah that's what I thought too but I tested it and it's not true. If you know there's a "Pictures" directory you can cd into it and read everything in there even if the home directory itself isn't readable.

Doesn't work.

$ sudo mkdir -m 700 /tmp/test
$ sudo mkdir /tmp/test/test2
$ sudo ls -l /tmp/test
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-11-04 01:49 test2
$ cd /tmp/test/test2
cd: permission denied: /tmp/test/test2
$

ad_267
November 4th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Ahh whoops. I'd removed read permissions but not execute permissions on the parent directory.