PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu One and Security

dad311
November 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I love the idea of on-line backup and sync, but hesitate because of security. Not Ubuntu security, but all sites that offer on-line backup(paid or non paid service)

The things I would like to store are checkbook files, passwords and logins, etc. You know, the stuff you can not live without. Because these files hold the keys to my life and I don't feel safe storing them on-line.

What kind of data would you store on-line in the BIG cloud? Who do you trust to secure your data on-line?

I'm wondering how long it will be before we read of some on-line backup company being hacked.

aysiu
November 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'd trust SpiderOak. Everything is encrypted. They can't even get to it if you wanted to and have forgotten your password.

whoop
November 4th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I love the idea of on-line backup and sync, but hesitate because of security. Not Ubuntu security, but all sites that offer on-line backup(paid or non paid service)

The things I would like to store are checkbook files, passwords and logins, etc. You know, the stuff you can not live without. Because these files hold the keys to my life and I don't feel safe storing them on-line.

What kind of data would you store on-line in the BIG cloud? Who do you trust to secure your data on-line?

I'm wondering how long it will be before we read of some on-line backup company being hacked.

Well, if you are paranoid, then it's not safe. Even if it is encrypted in the cloud it's not safe.
Come to think of it, "the cloud" could be the thing that makes encryption extra unsafe, as cloud computing can be used to crack with much greater speeds than single computers or small clusters.
Here's a real world example of cracking using cloud computing:
http://news.electricalchemy.net/2009/10/cracking-passwords-in-cloud.html

You paranoid yet ?:lolflag:

Pro-reason
November 4th, 2009, 01:33 AM
The things I would like to store are checkbook files, passwords and logins, etc.

Iím certainly not going to store anything like that on UbuntuOne unless I encrypt it with strong OpenPGP protection first.

James Henstridge
November 4th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I wouldn't recommend storing passwords and logins in UbuntuOne without first encrypting them (in fact, I'd be hesitant about doing it at all).

And if you are going to store encrypted files, it'd be a good idea not to store the encryption key along side them. If you need to access that encrypted content on multiple computers, use some other method to transfer the encryption key.