PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Ubuntu to an older SONY VIA PCG-505JL???

jsmkbunch2000
November 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have an old Sony VIAO Laptop Model PCG-505JL, and have not been able to install Ubuntu (or any other Linux OS) successfully. I want to use it for browsing the internet, watch DVD Movies and use the Office Suite. Not much else needed. Can anyone give me step by step on how to install it on this laptop or provide an alternative OS that might be a better solution for me for the laptop??? I am a beginner and do not understand coding, so please provide detailed step by step of how to do this.

jsmkbunch2000
November 5th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Bump

dhavalbbhatt
November 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I have an old Sony VIAO Laptop Model PCG-505JL, and have not been able to install Ubuntu (or any other Linux OS) successfully. I want to use it for browsing the internet, watch DVD Movies and use the Office Suite. Not much else needed. Can anyone give me step by step on how to install it on this laptop or provide an alternative OS that might be a better solution for me for the laptop??? I am a beginner and do not understand coding, so please provide detailed step by step of how to do this.

Before going further, I would like to know what issues you ran into in the past. You can also go to www.ubuntu.com and download the ISO and burn that on a CD. Using that CD, you will be able to install Ubuntu onto your computer, provided the computer meets minimum requirements.

Just a note of caution, it seems that a lot of people are having issues with the installation CD for Karmic 64bit. I would suggest, you also download the alternate CD for 64bit - it does not have a GUI, but will do the installation job just fine.