PDA

View Full Version : Torn between two DEs.

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
I'm torn between KDE 4.3 and gnome. Both DEs are awesome. KDE is beautiful, and gets things done. Gnome gets things done as well. But KDE has a nice startup sound, and supports oss better out of the box. They both support compiz. Oh what should I choose?

Move to reoccuring discussions.

Skripka
November 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
You're asking a Gnome centric forum a "What DE should I use?" question? [-o< [-o<

~sHyLoCk~
November 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
The startup sound is hardly an issue. Personally I feel that KDE is better, it has better apps [brasero failed me a lot, k3b never!], I like qt more than gtk. Development progress of KDE is way faster than Gnome. Gnome feels bloated, gets in your way of doing things. KDE is much more customizable.

RiceMonster
in b4 hoppipolla

Anyway, I use them both. They both have ups and downs, but I think I prefer KDE overall.

xuCGC002
I'm torn between KDE 4.3 and gnome. Both DEs are awesome. KDE is beautiful, and gets things done. Gnome gets things done as well. But KDE has a nice startup sound, and supports oss better out of the box. They both support compiz. Oh what should I choose?

You're using Arch correct? Go with KDE. You pretty much have the best KDE, I take back what I said about Mandriva. I'm thinking about going to Arch, I'll read up a bit more on it.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
Up to you ma dude, you know which one I prefer (by quite some distance :) )

Your call, see which you prefer by using them! :)

hoppipolla
in b4 hoppipolla

hehehe! ^_^

lykwydchykyn
Your punishment for starting yet another GNOME vs. KDE thread on the internet shall be six months of using only Tom's Window Manager with the default look.

~sHyLoCk~
November 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
You're using Arch correct? Go with KDE. You pretty much have the best KDE, I take back what I said about Mandriva. I'm thinking about going to Arch, I'll read up a bit more on it.

I can second that. Mandriva 2010 RCs have been causing huge problems for me. From time advances to kernel upgrades and a lot more. I was really looking forward to Mandriva 2010, as 2009 spring worked great for me. I don't use it, like always test it and give to friends who use it, but I'm thinking of turning them towards Chakra instead.

schauerlich
November 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM

*cringe*

Also, look at one of the approximately 2 mole of threads on this exact subject.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Your punishment for starting yet another GNOME vs. KDE thread on the internet shall be six months of using only Tom's Window Manager with the default look.

rofl! I say someone should accept that challenge :D

Kinda like an endurance test! hehe

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I saw the title and was hoping for 'I'm torn between E17 and LXDE' or something. The op is not a noob, was hoping for better from you d :)

Gnome FTW! lol!

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM

. In Gnome , I many times needed to switch off compiz (virtualbox seemless mode etc) because that one doesn't integrate 100% perfect with Gnome . But the kwin does integrate perfectly with kde . The startup sound is nothing . You can easily setup the kde's sound in Gnome too .

And the answer to your question is obvious . Choose whatever you like (or toss a coin? )

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I saw the title and was hoping for 'I'm torn between E17 and LXDE' or something. The op is not a noob, was hoping for better from you d :)

Gnome FTW! lol!

Funny you should say that...

My pattern with DEs (over 6 years) went KDE > Fluxbox > Gnome > KDE.

And I have tried loads more in the process.

This proves that KDE and Gnome are not just for noobs! It depends what you want out of your pc :)

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Not meaning to flame, but GNOME is good for old people (people who don't like change, or minimal change)... if you want to be on the edge of the linux desktop experience KDE is the place to be.

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Not meaning to flame, but GNOME is good for old people (people who don't like change, or minimal change)... if you want to be on the edge of the linux desktop experience KDE is the place to be.

No offense taken, since I'm young and spri. Everything works here, and quickly at that.

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah. I don't think that any DE is for "noobs". If KDE was for noobs, then Torvalds would be a noob. Lulz. Also. I think that most "graphical" distros are stereotyped as being for noobs. Graphical distros meaning distros that come with X and a commonly used DE by default.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah. I don't think that any DE is for "noobs". If KDE was for noobs, then Torvalds would be a noob. Lulz. Also. I think that most "graphical" distros are stereotyped as being for noobs. Graphical distros meaning distros that come with X and a commonly used DE by default.

well said :)

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
There's a simple technique . If you are using gtk+ apps the most, use Gnome. If you are using qt apps the most, use kde.

the fix it man
November 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
With stability KDE has becaome popular with people,

I use Gnome and Mac for many years, but not convinced about Gnome3.

With KDE no theme-ing is required as it looks just right on default.

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 04:33 PM

Gnome FTW! lol!

How dare you! I am a noob. :p

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM

lol!!!

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
haha Praveesh I like the way your KDE sig is even more like, ambitious than mine! lol

I was considering changing mine to "KDE 4.3 takes Windows 7 to school!"... heh :)

Which do you prefer?

schwim
November 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM

I lollered out loud. Thanks for the morning pick-me-up.

stuart.reinke
November 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
There's a simple technique . If you are using gtk+ apps the most, use Gnome. If you are using qt apps the most, use kde. Not me. I install Ubuntu then KDE-Core. I like most of the gtk apps better, but prefer KDE.

Muppeteer
November 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I vote KDE.

Sure it might still have bugs, but it's rapidly improving all the time and is nowhere near as bloated as some people claim. For me, Gnome is outdated and too simple, and gnome 3 looks to be heading in a weird direction. I'm sure once it's released, KDE will scoop up a lot of Gnome refugees.

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
There's a simple technique . If you are using gtk+ apps the most, use Gnome. If you are using qt apps the most, use kde.

I keep trying KDE, but find myself going back to Gnome.

There are some Qt applications I prefer, and some GTK but overall, for the desktop I prefer Gnome. Just something about KDE I don't like, I dunno.

besides, I use gnome ...
kause KDE keeps kicking krazy "k.." krapplication knames kausing konfusion, khaos & kanker sores!

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
haha Praveesh I like the way your KDE sig is even more like, ambitious than mine! lol

I was considering changing mine to "KDE 4.3 takes Windows 7 to school!"... heh :)

Which do you prefer?

hehe . I learned from you, lol . Remember the "Iam a new kde fan thread" .

I prefer your new proposed signature . It's at the same time cool as well as don't call win7 a mistake (hihihi)

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
I keep trying KDE, but find myself going back to Gnome.

There are some Qt applications I prefer, and some GTK but overall, for the desktop I prefer Gnome. Just something about KDE I don't like, I dunno.

besides, I use gnome ...
kause KDE keeps kicking krazy "k.." krapplication knames kausing konfusion, khaos & kanker sores!

Hahahahaha.

buzzmandt
November 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
I install ubuntu, then install kubuntu-desktop and use kde. On my laptop I use nm-applet for network management. I'm slowly getting away from gtk apps and will one day no longer have a need for the ubuntu side. I use ubuntu gnome from time to time jsut for a change, as well as e17 but always come back to kde. It's just more polished, nicer to look at, nicer to use and seems more user friendly to me.

I think when gnome 3 becomes default, kde, kubuntu will take a big jump in users, and so will xubuntu, lxde, and e17. But I think k will benefit the most.

Sealbhach
November 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I try very hard to like KDE, and it is beautiful, but i don't feel at home with it. And I hate the damned cashew.

I'd like also, to be able to lock the plasmoids, so I don't have things popping out of them everytime I run the mouse over them.

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Not me. I install Ubuntu then KDE-Core. I like most of the gtk apps better, but prefer KDE.

Running gtk apps on qt desktop and vice versa will consume a lot of memory .

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
And I hate the damned cashew.

Huh? Cashew?

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM

these days all pcs/laptops come with 4GB... does it even matter anymore.... I see laptops with 8GB now... :/

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Huh? Cashew?

the bean looking thing in KDE.... it can be moved and removed btw...

you can move it by unlocking widgets and then dragging it somewhere else... you can remove it with a plugin, look on google

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
the bean looking thing in KDE.... it can be moved and removed btw...

you can move it by unlocking widgets and then dragging it somewhere else... you can remove it with a plugin, look on google

Oh that. You mean on the kde panel on the farmost right?

Squonk07
November 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
besides, I use gnome ...

Believe it or not, that's one of the major things that bugs me about KDE. It's kitschy (lol) with all the bloody k-fronted names. It's like it doesn't take its users or itself seriously.

That, and the last Kubuntu I tried (Intrepid, using 4.1.1 I believe) was a buggy mess on my hardware. It's high time I tried Kubuntu 9.10 to see if anything has changed. I've got an ISO just waiting.... ;)

EDIT: Dragos beat me to it. I was going to put this quote in my sig.

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM

Puh-leeze :) arch server man....

Bios Element
November 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Believe it or not, that's one of the major things that bugs me about KDE. It's kitschy (lol) with all the bloody k-fronted names. It's like it doesn't take its users or itself seriously.

At least most of the application names are semi-related to what they 'do' by just replacing a c with a k. >.> I don't care for the "k" love but at the same time it does make sense at times.

Muppeteer
November 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I try very hard to like KDE, and it is beautiful, but i don't feel at home with it. And I hate the damned cashew.

I'd like also, to be able to lock the plasmoids, so I don't have things popping out of them everytime I run the mouse over them.

Install the 'ihate the cashew plasmoid'.

Why can't you lock plasmoids? Doesn't ubuntu version of KDE have 'lock widgets' option?

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Puh-leeze :) arch server man....

Noob =! newb

Noob == annoyance to others

Newb == Newbie

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Install the 'ihate the cashew plasmoid'.

Why can't you lock plasmoids? Doesn't ubuntu version of KDE have 'lock widgets' option?

It does, but I think he means that last one that is always in the corner... top right... that one is permanent in vanilla kde too right?

Muppeteer
November 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
It does, but I think he means that last one that is always in the corner... top right... that one is permanent in vanilla kde too right?

Yea but the ihate the cashew plasmoid gets rid of that. :D

stuart.reinke
November 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM

I've heard that before. My laptop only has 300 and some megabytes (I can never remember the exact number) and everything runs smooth as silk. I use both gtk and qt apps so it probably doesn't matter a whole lot which DE I use. I can't tell any difference between the two performance wise.

schauerlich
November 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
If KDE was for noobs, then Torvalds would be a noob. Lulz.

3 November 2009
Dear dragos240:

I hereby revoke your license to use the term "lulz."

Signed,
The Internet.

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM
I only did it for the (removed)!

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I do hear some very silly reasons to not like KDE o.O

It really does sound like "Baby Duck Syndrome" to me, at least what I've heard in this particular thread.

I mean... the cashew? Isn't that the plasma logo? It's barely even there o.O

And the k's? I use the thing all day and I barely notice them lol

I do actually use a lot of Gnome apps in KDE, or some anyway. It probably does use more memory but I prefer KDE, and still acknowledge the quality of a lot of those apps! It's a difficult thing to avoid :)

schauerlich
November 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I only did it for the (removed)!

Dear dragos240:

This notification is a long time coming. Flagrant breach of contract on your part has made it necessary to terminate any and all relations between yourself and our intellectual property. Namely, the violations are of provisions 2.A and 5.C, which read as follows:

2.A All uses of 'lulz' must (1) make sense in context and (2) be in response to something which is actually funny.

5.C 'lulz' is not to be used a replacement for 'lol.' If you find yourself wishing to use lulz in this context, you have two choices: (1) You may substitute "LAWL" (capital letters are necessary) or (2) you may go outside. The second course of action is highly recommended.

We must ask that you cease and desist use of 'lulz' immediately.

Signed,
The Internet.

mivo
November 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I saw the title and was hoping for 'I'm torn between E17 and LXDE' or something.

Xfce4 beats them both. ;)

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Xfce4 beats them both. ;)

I think once again the word subjective is redefined! heh :)

Giant Speck
November 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Noob =! newb

Noob == annoyance to others

Newb == Newbie

You're misspelling n00b, you n00b.

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
dear dragos240:

This notification is a long time coming. Flagrant breach of contract on your part has made it necessary to terminate any and all relations between yourself and our intellectual property. Namely, the violations are of provisions 2.a and 5.c, which read as follows:

We must ask that you cease and desist use of 'lulz' immediately.

Signed,
the internet.

lol :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Crunchy says use gnome but kick the lame default theme (yes I hate it).