PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

FleetwoodMan1968
February 16th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me why firefox will only let me visit www.ubuntu.com , even if i use the google tab it will not go to the site. It did once but it took a really long time then everything timed out. Now everything just times out except the ubuntu site. I was able to update everything as well. Any help would be apperiated because I have 3 more computers to install ubuntu on and make them all work.

set-up is as follows

computer - switch - router

briancurtin
February 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM
are you sure it is actually showing you the ubuntu.com site, or is it just release notes that it shows after a fresh install?

open a terminal and type
ping google.com

FleetwoodMan1968
February 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM
yes i am able to ping google.com fairly consitantly

mstlyevil
February 16th, 2006, 07:42 AM
yes i am able to ping google.com fairly consitantly

Go to your home page of choice by typing the address in the address bar. Once there go to the top of the window and go to Edit>Preferences. When the dialog box opens click on the general tab and then click the button that says use current. After that close FF and the restart it and see if the page you picked is displayed upon opening.

If you have already done this then just ignore me.

FleetwoodMan1968
February 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
i am also able to ping my dsl isp without a problem

FleetwoodMan1968
February 16th, 2006, 08:01 AM
ok now ubuntu isn't even able to load on firefox, i'm on my main machine that currently has win xp and is set up in the same manner as the other ubuntu machine. ubuntu says everything is working properly but i'm still not able to visit any site, but the microsoft machine works, I've got them both set up on dhcp (ubuntu did that automatically just the same as windows) but for some reason nothing will load on the ubuntu machine just the same?????

mstlyevil
February 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM
ok now ubuntu isn't even able to load on firefox, i'm on my main machine that currently has win xp and is set up in the same manner as the other ubuntu machine. ubuntu says everything is working properly but i'm still not able to visit any site, but the microsoft machine works, I've got them both set up on dhcp (ubuntu did that automatically just the same as windows) but for some reason nothing will load on the ubuntu machine just the same?????

Try installing epiphany using synaptic. You will find it under Gnome Desktop Enviroment. Try using it instead of FF and see if you have the same problem.

briancurtin
February 16th, 2006, 08:10 AM
this could get a better response in one of the support forums. hopefully someone can move it there.

FleetwoodMan1968
February 16th, 2006, 08:14 AM
ok, i'm just putting a new one on there 'cause i'm not sure how to move posts