PDA

View Full Version : Will there be GNOME 3 in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

miklcct
November 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
As title

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM
I would say--No. I'm betting that we'll be able to test it this next time, but the default most likely will be 2.28--if you look at the release schedule, you'll see that the alpha time is shorter than normal & there are 2 betas instead of one. Ubuntu is looking to stabilize the new stuff this time & with the loose ends of Grub2 & GDM--there will be lots of work to do.

So as I see it, we won't be relying on the Gnome release to pin the beta time----I'm going to continue testing the Shell this time--but that will be with Gnome directly, not thru the repositories......I do git builds as they are more up to date (more bugs & interesting features), so I will test the basics as normal & use the testing install as my daily system, but I "think" that this one will be a fairly safe ride.

For excitement I'll be playing with the Shell & trying to squash as many bugs in Lucid as possible.

shafin
November 1st, 2009, 06:37 AM
No. Gnome 3 will not be default but eill be installable from repo's in 10.04, and will be implemented in 10.10, given gnome devs stick to making gnome 2.30 gnome 3

retrow
November 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Folks from SUSE or Fedora may carry it in their distro if they bring out a snapshot between Lynx and *ubuntu 10.10.

Neon Lights
November 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM
I'd imagine most modules like Empathy, Totem, etc., yeah.
But Gnome-Shell and other new new stuff is doubtful.

miklcct
November 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Will there be a Ubuntu 10.04 GNOME 3 Remix, just like Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix?

P.S. Will the GNOME 2 version of Ubuntu 10.04 drops the LTS label as GNOME 2 approaches the end, just like the KDE 3 version of Kubuntu 8.04 drops the LTS label?

aamukahvi
November 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Methinks it will be Gnome 3 without Gnome-Shell.

vishalrao
November 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Current LL tech overview wiki page says "yes" :D

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview

But plans may/will change of course ... lets wait for UDS-Lucid dust to settle!

23meg
November 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
If the question is "Will part of the work done towards GNOME 3 land in Lucid?", the answer is "Yes", just like it has in 9.10, since GNOME 3 is a work in progress, part of whose fruits go into the stable GNOME releases in the meantime. There may be subtle differences in 10.04 regarding how GNOME modules are integrated along the release cycle, but the exact nature of those are not to be decided until UDS.

If it's "Will Ubuntu 10.04 be based on GNOME 3?", the answer is definitely "No", as SABDFL has stated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw).

But the more important question is whether there will actually be such a thing as "GNOME 3" within the next six months. There may not be, as the GNOME Release Team has left the option of declaring GNOME 2.32 instead of GNOME 2.30 as GNOME 3 open, and there's no decision yet.

23meg
November 1st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Current LL tech overview wiki page says "yes" :D

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview

But plans may/will change of course ... lets wait for UDS-Lucid dust to settle!

That page is merely a placeholder right now.

zekopeko
November 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
If the question is "Will part of the work done towards GNOME 3 land in Lucid?", the answer is "Yes", just like it has in 9.10, since GNOME 3 is a work in progress, part of whose fruits go into the stable GNOME releases in the meantime. There may be subtle differences in 10.04 regarding how GNOME modules are integrated along the release cycle, but the exact nature of those are not to be decided until UDS.

If it's "Will Ubuntu 10.04 be based on GNOME 3?", the answer is definitely "No", as SABDFL has stated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw).

But the more important question is whether there will actually be such a thing as "GNOME 3" within the next six months. There may not be, as the GNOME Release Team has left the option of declaring GNOME 2.32 instead of GNOME 2.30 as GNOME 3 open, and there's no decision yet.

Will we have 2.30 or 2.28 in 10.04? Or perhaps 2.28+2.30 mix?

exploder
November 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
23meg, thanks for making it clearer as to what will be going on with gnome!

23meg
November 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Will we have 2.30 or 2.28 in 10.04? Or perhaps 2.28+2.30 mix?

I'd be surprised if it's not 2.30 as usual, maybe with a few subtle changes, but depending on what 2.30 actually turns out to be, things may change.

amano
November 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't bet on 2.30 becoming GNOME 3 either. As with every roadmap, delays may happen. If either Mutter, GNOME Shell or Zeitgeist are not ready, it will be delayed.

Gnome is great as it is and I will not have a KDE4 fiasco. Just ship it when it is 100% usable.

Regenweald
November 2nd, 2009, 03:55 AM
Since it is an LTS, I think heavily stabilized and customized 2.28 with access to 2.30
From 10.10, 2.30 and business as usual.

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
Since it is an LTS, I think heavily stabilized and customized 2.28 with access to 2.30
From 10.10, 2.30 and business as usual.

Note that the two LTS releases so far did not keep the same GNOME version as the release before.

Regenweald
November 2nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Note that the two LTS releases so far did not keep the same GNOME version as the release before.

Very true, and you would be in a better position than myself to put forward a suggestion, but I joined Ubuntu last year and am not sure if any of the LTS versions were released across major digit change, as this one is positioned.

Or is that what you mean? that they went 1.xx to 2.xx across the LTS already ?

23meg
November 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
but I joined Ubuntu last year and am not sure if any of the LTS versions were released across major digit change, as this one is positioned.

Do you mean a digit change in Ubuntu or GNOME versions?

Or is that what you mean? that they went 1.xx to 2.xx across the LTS already ?

No; that change happened long before Ubuntu existed.

Merk42
November 2nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
No; that change happened long before Ubuntu existed.

How long after 2.x was 1.x no longer supported?
While I understand the LTS not having GNOME 3, will GNOME 2 be supported by GNOME the required 5 years after Lucid?

Regenweald
November 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Do you mean a digit change in Ubuntu or GNOME versions?
<snip>.

The major digit change in the Gnome version. To clarify, with such a major overhaul of Gnome occuring, I honestly don't know if Canonical will decide to go 3.0 as the default desktop for the LTS. But then, it's an LTS, so definitive updates and upgrades can be expected for 2 years.

Thinking about it again, it may well be 3.0 since if 2.28 is used, that would mean 2 years before the other LTS could adopt 3.0 correct ?

23meg
November 4th, 2009, 02:20 AM
How long after 2.x was 1.x no longer supported?

I don't know exactly, but probably not too long. But the switch from 2.x to 3 is a different beast.

While I understand the LTS not having GNOME 3, will GNOME 2 be supported by GNOME the required 5 years after Lucid?

It's highly likely that different modules will have different states of support, and probably for different periods. Note that most of what will constitute GNOME 3, apart from the obvious new module candidates such as GNOME Shell and Zeitgeist, is actually going into the 2.x series right now.

By the way, the 5 year support is for the server edition. Desktop gets 3 years of support.

The major digit change in the Gnome version. To clarify, with such a major overhaul of Gnome occuring, I honestly don't know if Canonical will decide to go 3.0 as the default desktop for the LTS. But then, it's an LTS, so definitive updates and upgrades can be expected for 2 years.

Thinking about it again, it may well be 3.0 since if 2.28 is used, that would mean 2 years before the other LTS could adopt 3.0 correct ?

As I said before, I don't see any chance that we'll keep 2.28. It will make GNOME much harder to support during the long lifecycle, and it's never happened before, in the past two LTS releases.

23meg
November 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Meanwhile, the GNOME release team is collecting feedback from various teams (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2009-November/date.html) to reach a conclusion regarding whether to declare GNOME 2.30 or 2.32 as GNOME 3.0. While the feedback so far is mixed, it seems to point towards 2.32, that is, September 2010.

andrewabc
November 4th, 2009, 03:18 AM
GNOME 3.0 May Not Come Until September 2010 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY3MQ)
via phoronix

Regenweald
November 4th, 2009, 04:25 AM
That seems about right. Everyone(users i mean) seems distracted by workspaces and appearance...blah blah blah, but All of the zeitgiest news i was finding placed the project in somewhat of a 'raw' state. 2.30 seemed optimistic to me, 2.32 do-able.

Amaranth
November 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
GNOME 2.30 will just be GNOME 2.30, not 3.0. At the rate things are going I'd actually be surprised if even 2.32 was 3.0. I don't believe 6 more months is enough time to get what we have now to a useful desktop.

However, Ubuntu will likely be sticking with GNOME 2.28 for the most part, not 2.30. GNOME 2.30 will likely include GSettings/dconf which involves rather intrusive changes to all applications to port them from gconf.

Of course, even all of that is rather up in the air as this point so who knows? The current schedule rather obviously points to sticking to 2.28 and that is the impressive I've gotten from other desktop team members as well.

Looking out to later releases, I doubt lucid+1 will use "GNOME 3" by default either since gnome-shell is so radically different from what we have now. We'll have to see though, no one is realistically planning anything for lucid+1 yet.

Then again, I may just be biased there. :)

baizon
November 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Bad news :( Gnome needs a (design) refresh in my opinion and Gnome 3 looks very promising to me. :rolleyes:

23meg
November 4th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Bad news :( Gnome needs a (design) refresh in my opinion and Gnome 3 looks very promising to me. :rolleyes:

And it's happening. What's the bad news?

baizon
November 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
And it's happening. What's the bad news?

The only bad thing is the delay of Gnome 3. I thought it will be released with Ubuntu 10.04.

GNOME 3.0 May Not Come Until September 2010 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY3MQ)
via phoronix

autocrosser
November 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM
No--with 10.04 being a LTS--that would be a very bad move--I hope for Gnome Shell being a option in 10.10 (Mighty Mouse :) ) alongside Gnome 2.32 as a switchable session...I test the Shell & really like the direction it is going--the edges are still very rough right now & reading Gnome-developer-list, most of the developers are shooting for the Oct 2010 time-frame.....some are talking about April 2011 being better......On the Positive side--it is also sounding like there will be a call for wide testing within the next 6 months--so they are going to look at user input very soon.

Merk42
November 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
No--with 10.04 being a LTS--that would be a very bad move--I hope for Gnome Shell being a option in 10.10 (Mighty Mouse :) ) alongside Gnome 2.32 as a switchable session...I test the Shell & really like the direction it is going--the edges are still very rough right now & reading Gnome-developer-list, most of the developers are shooting for the Oct 2010 time-frame.....some are talking about April 2011 being better......On the Positive side--it is also sounding like there will be a call for wide testing within the next 6 months--so they are going to look at user input very soon.

Hopefully that means a beta in time for an option in 10.04. That way people can try it out who haven't yet and give them input for a final version available as an option in 10.10

ranch hand
November 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I thought that 10.10 was supposed to be Mangy Moose.

autocrosser
November 5th, 2009, 04:05 AM
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Morris Minor--OH wait --that's a car--Mystic Mongoose is my "real" choice....goes well with Karmic Koala......

ranch hand
November 5th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I and looking forward to Roadkill Rat.

Mystic Mongoose is good too.

Starks
November 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Mystic is a must. I couldn't give two ***** about the animal.

MacUntu
November 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Monopathophobic Massospondylus... ehm - this was about Gnome 3, right? :P

ranch hand
November 5th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Yes, this is about Gnome. Haven't seen a thinkg here that is not succinctly pertinent.

VMC
November 5th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I and looking forward to Roadkill Rat.

Mystic Mongoose is good too.

It's Micky Mantel for me, now that the Yankeys are champs again. An I'm a Dodger fan...:lolflag:

chrismine
November 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Heck what will happen when we run out of the alphabet - Zany Zepher will be last - then Ubuntu will stop!

Merk42
November 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Heck what will happen when we run out of the alphabet - Zany Zepher will be last - then Ubuntu will stop!

Go to Astute Alligator, since there never was an AA. After that Brilliant Boar, and since at that time it'll be 2018 and I doubt it'd be confused with Breezy Badger.

RaptorJesus
November 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Most likely 10.04 will be released before gnome 3 goes stable. In the event of this, there will be an update for gnome 3.

23meg
November 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Most likely 10.04 will be released before gnome 3 goes stable. In the event of this, there will be an update for gnome 3.

No. GNOME 3 will most likely be released in September 2010, five months after Ubuntu 10.04, and the stable release update policy (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates) doesn't allow updates as substantial as a whole new GNOME release. And we're talking about a LTS release here.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't bet on 2.30 becoming GNOME 3 either. As with every roadmap, delays may happen. If either Mutter, GNOME Shell or Zeitgeist are not ready, it will be delayed.

Gnome is great as it is and I will not have a KDE4 fiasco. Just ship it when it is 100% usable.

And there is some serious doubt with regards to Shell landing, considering that they are still working of accessibility and the fancy notification system is only just being implemented. Not that I think they can't do it in 6 months, but after that this thing needs rigorous usability testing and a lot of work to develop add-ons so we don't end up with a swamp of regressions.

I think postponing the whole redone desktop idea, shipping GTK+ 3 and the other fancy new stuff then saying "GNOME 3.04 will be awesome, app developers please make sure your stuff still fits" is the best route they can take.

Edit:
Wow, I guess I'm completely out of it then. Not only did I miss the fact that there were about 8 posts still to be read, but in those posts people said what I just repeated but they used actual sources! :)

gnomeuser
November 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
And there is some serious doubt with regards to Shell landing, considering that they are still working of accessibility and the fancy notification system is only just being implemented. Not that I think they can't do it in 6 months, but after that this thing needs rigorous usability testing and a lot of work to develop add-ons so we don't end up with a swamp of regressions.

I think postponing the whole redone desktop idea, shipping GTK+ 3 and the other fancy new stuff then saying "GNOME 3.04 will be awesome, app developers please make sure your stuff still fits" is the best route they can take.

Edit:
Wow, I guess I'm completely out of it then. Not only did I miss the fact that there were about 8 posts still to be read, but in those posts people said what I just repeated but they used actual sources! :)

Another problem with the new shell is that absolutely no usability studies have been done on it, nor do the developers currently see any use in doing so. This is a big no no from where I come from, the focus on usability is what made GNOME 2 so successful and well liked by users. This was a decision early on and gnome-shells utter failure to do the same should result in immediate exclusion from consideration as part of the GNOME platform till such studies have been performed. Preferably over several iterations with ample test groups of varying degrees of experience. It is an amaturish additude to say that this isn't needed at the current stage since it is admitted that gnome-shell is nowhere near feature completeness nor stability, you still need to validate your design ideas and for this, identifying the problems early via testing is key.

On a more technical side, only being able to extend the shell with in-process extensions written in Javascript seems both like a language nazism that is very unlike both the existing GNOME platform which gives you oodles of choices and the ideals of freedom for developers.

There is no current plan for how to deal with what we have now as applets at all, it is clear that something must change but nobody seems to have a good idea of how this gets to fit in with the gnome-shell. A rather enormous ommision from the current design which must be addressed and in use by current applet designers such as tomboy before gnome-shell can be deemed ready for inclusion.

Naturally the a11y issues need to be addressed, as does the unnatural situation it brings about that the GNOME platform now depends on two Javascript engines (the mozilla based gjs for gnome-shell and seed for the rest of the desktop such as gnome-games). A tragedy that is certain to cause grief for distro vendors with LiveCDs such as Ubuntu. This mess both goes to show just how poor a decision using a defacto unstandardized language like Javascript really is, had it followed a standard then baring any extensions such as gcc provides to C any engine would do - now it doesn't and once you start using language extensions from a given engine you are pretty much stuck with it for life unless you rewrite you application or in the highly unlikely situation a standardized version of JS emerges which suddenly and magically gains wide support without also fostering more implementation specific "enhancements".

Aside that the GNOME 3 platform is shaping up nicely. I am looking forward to dconf, gtk/glib3, packagekit, tracker and zeitgeist, there really is the potential for a lot of cool technology in the pipeline and if we deploy it correctly it will really enhance the experience in meaningful and useful ways. I just don't think gnome-shell is the correct outlet or design for what can be done with such cool technologies. Luckily Jamie McCracken (of Tracker fame) has repeatedly threatened to do his own desktop just to get traction for the technology he is passionate about. I am really starting to hope that he goes through with this project.

autocrosser
November 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Agreed with your points--I have been following the developer-list & they are talking about user testing very soon--hopefully it isn't with blinders on....

Mr. Picklesworth
November 6th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Gnomeuser:
I, for one, am pretty happy with the idea of killing off "applets" as different types of applications. The Timer panel applet demonstrates why it is a bad idea: we are forcing the user to launch something from a different place (among other differences) just because of the space an application occupies on the screen. The trick is to have a good enough infrastructure that a normal application can get the benefits of an applet. (Hint: Windows 7 and MacOS X have found a way to do this).

Unfortunately, Gnome Shell has done a lot of tinkering with the overlay and launchers, yet nothing so far for the part of the desktop environment that people interact with when they are actually getting work done. It reminds me of the harsh difference between KDE4's Plasma desktop and the actual apps that appear above it. Holding out hope still, but I share your skepticism.

The other tragedy is that it needlessly uses Clutter instead of gtk+ 3 (which has some awesome stuff on the roadmap). I'm okay with this if they can integrate things nicely, but as is I see lots of duplication and inconsistency. To that end, although quite stable, it feels like something HP or Toshiba would develop.

RaptorJesus
November 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM
No. GNOME 3 will most likely be released in September 2010, five months after Ubuntu 10.04, and the stable release update policy (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates) doesn't allow updates as substantial as a whole new GNOME release. And we're talking about a LTS release here.
My bad then, stupid me.

Starks
November 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Even if GNOME 3 was finished and made stable in well ahead of schedule and in time for the LTS, I doubt that Shell would ship with it.

gnomeuser
November 6th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Gnomeuser:
I, for one, am pretty happy with the idea of killing off "applets" as different types of applications. The Timer panel applet demonstrates why it is a bad idea: we are forcing the user to launch something from a different place (among other differences) just because of the space an application occupies on the screen. The trick is to have a good enough infrastructure that a normal application can get the benefits of an applet. (Hint: Windows 7 and MacOS X have found a way to do this).

Unfortunately, Gnome Shell has done a lot of tinkering with the overlay and launchers, yet nothing so far for the part of the desktop environment that people interact with when they are actually getting work done. It reminds me of the harsh difference between KDE4's Plasma desktop and the actual apps that appear above it. Holding out hope still, but I share your skepticism.

The other tragedy is that it needlessly uses Clutter instead of gtk+ 3 (which has some awesome stuff on the roadmap). I'm okay with this if they can integrate things nicely, but as is I see lots of duplication and inconsistency. To that end, although quite stable, it feels like something HP or Toshiba would develop.

No no, don't get me wrong, I am all for getting rid of applets the way they exist today. However there are a number of use cases which need a replacement. If that is going to be something like OS X's dashboard or maybe something completely different. What that is going to be has thus far been completely ignored as a valid concern - the answer is always in process javascript extensions which just doesn't cut it as an answer.

Applets should die but the use cases should be addressed somehow, personally I think something like the dashboard is a good approach but there are surely other concepts of equal interest.

My problem is solely with the complete non-answer that is being given so far.

gnomeuser
November 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Agreed with your points--I have been following the developer-list & they are talking about user testing very soon--hopefully it isn't with blinders on....

So far there has been a rather stunning disgard for such "trivial" matters.. what makes you think that is going to change.

I predict a lemming like lumbering down this path, if the outcome of the testing is negative that will just be a lumber with a truck load of excuses and justifications.

autocrosser
November 7th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Well--I tend to think to best of people--I know that I will open myself to all kinds of knife & arrow wounds, but I would rather bleed a bit than think negative--I have had some rather good dialog with Owen, Colin & Marina--they have even taken some of my ideas & used them (shock!!!)--so I am hopeful that given some "real" world testing there will be some rethinking going on--the project has not gone far enough (I hope) to totally prevent some path changing---another 6 months things will be too far (if they are not now.....)

Time will tell------

dino99
November 8th, 2009, 11:33 AM
hope that 2.29x come in before freeze :p

aamukahvi
November 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
hope that 2.29x come in before freeze :p
Gnome 2.29.1 is already released... What do you mean?

23meg
November 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
September 2010 has been decided upon (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2009-November/msg00001.html) as the GNOME 3.0 release date.

ranch hand
November 10th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Well, he seems excited about it.

Merk42
November 10th, 2009, 05:32 AM
So does this mean Lucid may have 2.30?

23meg
November 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM
So does this mean Lucid may have 2.30?

It means that 2.30, which will be the GNOME release to undergo development during the Lucid development cycle, will not be declared GNOME 3.0.

The exact state of GNOME in Lucid will be discussed in UDS, which takes place next week.

BCurtisWX
November 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
It means that 2.30, which will be the GNOME release to undergo development during the Lucid development cycle, will not be declared GNOME 3.0.

The exact state of GNOME in Lucid will be discussed in UDS, which takes place next week.

Good. I think it would be nice of them to make a Ubuntu Stable 10.04 (Gnome 2.30) and an Ubuntu Gnome3 10.04 release. Maybe this will just be upgrading a package by choice. Just adding my suggestion for discussion, since I won't be at UDS.

xebian
November 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I'm positive there would be version 3really 2.3:)

Slug71
November 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Good. I think it would be nice of them to make a Ubuntu Stable 10.04 (Gnome 2.30) and an Ubuntu Gnome3 10.04 release. Maybe this will just be upgrading a package by choice. Just adding my suggestion for discussion, since I won't be at UDS.

I think it means Gnome 3 will technically be 2.32, which will be in 10.10-Mischief Monkey.

autocrosser
November 12th, 2009, 02:41 AM
"Mystic Mongoose" :D:D:D

Slug71
November 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM

You win. :D

gnomeuser
November 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM

Mistreated Mallard (alternatively Molested Mallard).

Not that I am making a prediction of quality or anything

Merk42
November 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Of course not, because contrary to the title 10.04 won't have GNOME 3 (not by default and not the final version)

PC_load_letter
November 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I guess I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just read in Linux Format (December's issue) that Lucid will be released with Gnome 2.28, and this is according to the man himself, Shuttleworth.

Merk42
November 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I guess I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just read in Linux Format (December's issue) that Lucid will be released with Gnome 2.28, and this is according to the man himself, Shuttleworth.

Well that may be back when 2.28 was thought to be the last of the 2.X line.
10.04 will definitely not have GNOME 3 at launch by default since GNOME 3 won't even be done by then.

So 10.04 may have 2.30 since it's still the 2.x line it also MAY have an option for a then beta version of GNOME 3. We'll just have to wait until UDS.

tawmas
November 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM

I don't care for MM, NN and OO nicknames, so long as PP is declared the Predominant Penguin! :-P

Merk42
November 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I don't care for MM, NN and OO nicknames, so long as PP is declared the Predominant Penguin! :-P

Well it'll be an LTS, so it'll be predominant!

autocrosser
November 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM

I went for "Mystic" because it fits very well with "Karmic"--Themewise that is--I really hope that the "karma" will not "rub" off......:o

As for Predominant Penguin---That sounds like a real winner!!!!!!

gjoellee
November 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I have just seen that GNOME 3 will be released in September 2010, so it won't be possible to get GNOME 3 in Lucid

collinp
November 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Gnome 3 will possibly be in Ubuntu 10.10 as default. It will, more than likely, be in the repositories if it is not default.

Well, we can certainly hope so.