PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Incorrect Folder Permissions?

promet
November 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hello,

Ubuntuone seems to set the folder permissions incorrectly (I assume I should be able to write to it) for the ~/.local/share/ubuntuone/shares (i.e. the symolic link for the ~/Ubuntu One/Shared With Me) folder. So, I cannot write to it.

I've tried reinstalling the software, manually changing the permissions in various ways, but the application forces a reset on these permission to be again invalid. has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks

yesint
November 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
The same problem. Have no idea how to fix it.

promet
November 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it's a bummer huh? I'd really like to play around with it.

ilpiero
November 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Maybe i've got the same problem, the ubuntuOne folder was accessbile by my user but not writable , i changed the permission and seems to work (but now that you say the program reset them i'll check again).

I'll let you know if i find a solution.

joshuahoover
November 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hello,

Ubuntuone seems to set the folder permissions incorrectly (I assume I should be able to write to it) for the ~/.local/share/ubuntuone/shares (i.e. the symolic link for the ~/Ubuntu One/Shared With Me) folder. So, I cannot write to it.

I've tried reinstalling the software, manually changing the permissions in various ways, but the application forces a reset on these permission to be again invalid. has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks

This is intentional. The "Shared With Me" folder is a special one that we use to hold all the folders other Ubuntu One users share with you. If someone shares a folder with you and makes that share writeable, you should be able to read, write and delete files from that folder within the "Shared With Me" folder.

Thank you,

Joshua

promet
November 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
AH! Brilliant! Thank you Joshua! I totally misunderstood that.

Okay that is one hill climbed. So, how does the "drag and drop" sync thing work, do I just create new folders in the "Ubuntu One" Directory, or just toss goodies in there? Both, I assume, but clearly, my "assumptions" have gotten me into trouble already, ;)

Cheers!

ilpiero
November 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
This is intentional. The "Shared With Me" folder is a special one that we use to hold all the folders other Ubuntu One users share with you. If someone shares a folder with you and makes that share writeable, you should be able to read, write and delete files from that folder within the "Shared With Me" folder.

Thank you,

Joshua

D'oh!! So where should i put the shared files? Just in th UbuntuOne folder?
And btw there should be a "Share with ubuntu one" Nautilus contextual menu entry everywhere or just in some particular foders?

Thanks!!