PDA

View Full Version : I do wish people wouldn't bash 9.10 as much...

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 02:12 AM
Shockingly for you guys, it did actually work well for a LOT of people. You just need to understand that at the moment things aren't perfect. Ubuntu is still maturing as an OS and we aren't even at the next LTS yet, you can't expect everything to work like clockwork all the time, particularly if you have an unusual set up in some way.

My advice is just to roll with it for now, enjoy using the OS and enjoy watching it mature and become more reliable and impressive with every release - that's what I do!

I mean just think of the big improvements we have had for Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

And imagine how much this will pave the way for the next LTS release - Lucid!

Just express your opinions of course, and give critiques and explore the negative points of Karmic constructively, but don't just bash it! lol

Just wanted to get that off my chest! :)

Hoppi!

markp1989
November 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM
Shockingly for you guys, it did actually work well for a LOT of people. You just need to understand that at the moment things aren't perfect. Ubuntu is still maturing as an OS and we aren't even at the next LTS yet, you can't expect everything to work like clockwork all the time, particularly if you have a slightly unusual set up in some way.

My advice is just to roll with it for now, enjoy using the OS and enjoy watching it mature and become more reliable and impressive with every release - that's what I do!

I mean just think of the big improvements we have had with Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

Just express your opinions of course, and give critiques and explore the negative points of Karmic constructively, but don't just bash it! lol

Just wanted to get that off my chest! :)

Hoppi!

i agree with you,people put alot of work in, and constructive critisum is helpfull, but bashing it will just gets ubuntu a bad name

i havnt tested out 9.10 yet, as i use arch on my desktop now, nothing personal with ubuntu, i just felt like a change .(still use ubuntu on the server)

i wont install it but i will give it a spin from the live cd to see whats new.

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM
I agree...and please stop posting new threads asking what people think about Gnome Shell. Otherwise, I won't be able to refrain myself and will reply again and again, telling how wonderful KDE is and blah, blah, blah... :)

issih
November 1st, 2009, 02:23 AM
Happens every single release...

It is basically a combination of the hard and fast release dates meaning some bugs remain, and the sudden increase in the number of installs meaning the sheer variety of hardware it is being used on goes through the roof.

The consequence is lots of people have lots of issues, and because of human nature, they assume that if their box isn't working, then everyone elses must be doing the same, shortly after that they come here to pronounce that x.xx rhyming rhizome is the worst release ever..

There is no way to avoid this happening unless there is some way to get a huge boost in the number of beta testers. Until that day, just ignore the 6 monthly troll-fest as best you can :)

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM
it's funny this about people bashing Ubuntu, every time a new release comes out, it gets called crap, awful, pile of **** , you name it, then when the next release comes out, it's the same with that & that the last release before the new release was better it just worked, hadn't they thought that 6 months of updates to sort the fixes out might of done something about that. & that 9.10 has only just been released nearly 3 days ago LOL are people thick or stupid or smoking the draw :confused:

what does get to me tho, is people complaining about the colors of Ubuntu, when it was orange, crap I'm going back to windows vista & now brown (I like it) but some things I've heard like it looks to much like the stuff what comes out of my ar**e, I've been using ubuntu from Warty Warthog 4.10 dual booting with windows but didn't get into ubuntu fully till Breezy Badger 5.10 full time & now I love it, every release just gets better & better & karmic 9.10 is the best 1 I feel, up to now, roll on 10.4 Lucid lynx, ubuntu is going to rock

OutOfReach
November 1st, 2009, 02:25 AM
. It works differently for different people.

issih
November 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
. It works differently for different people.

dah...which was my point exactly :s

Frak
November 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
You bash Windows left and right, but DON'T BASH UBUNTU, people worked very hard on it, and it hurts its image.

/facepalm

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
You bash Windows left and right, but DON'T BASH UBUNTU, people worked very hard on it, and it hurts its image.

/facepalm

Bash Opera, but not Firefox :)

JillSwift
November 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM
I use bash all the time in 9.10, used it in 9.04, 8.10, 8.04 on back. It's terribly useful, why would I stop? :D

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM

/facepalm

People have a right to bash windows LOL it's going down the pan, what do people want out of ubuntu anyway ??? for it to go the Microsoft way, take a look at mint Linux if they want another Ms look-a-like but don't BASH ubuntu, what the devs & alpha/beta & RC testers are doing for Ubuntu deserve a medal, if it wasn't for them where would Linux be

Icehuck
November 1st, 2009, 02:59 AM
don't BASH ubuntu, what the devs & alpha/beta & RC testers are doing for Ubuntu deserve a medal, if it wasn't for them where would Linux be

Without Ubuntu Linux would still be actively developed and it still would be used by people.

Frak
November 1st, 2009, 03:00 AM
People have a right to bash windows LOL it's going down the pan, what do people want out of ubuntu anyway ??? for it to go the Microsoft way, take a look at mint Linux if they want another Ms look-a-like but don't BASH ubuntu, what the devs & alpha/beta & RC testers are doing for Ubuntu deserve a medal, if it wasn't for them where would Linux be
Same to be said about Windows 7. A lot of Beta and RC testers went in and reported bugs to make sure there weren't any in the final release. In the same respect, they deserve a medal too.

tkblackbelt
November 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ya i dont know why everyone is flaming 9.10 it worked perfecly for me

Icehuck
November 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Same to be said about Windows 7. A lot of Beta and RC testers went in and reported bugs to make sure there weren't any in the final release. In the same respect, they deserve a medal too.

I didn't do any of that for either system therefore I deserve cheesecake.

OutOfReach
November 1st, 2009, 03:14 AM
dah...which was my point exactly :s

Which is why I was agreeing with you ;)

KinKiac
November 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM

Big Big difference here. Ubuntu Devs dont get PAID. And, MS beta and Rc "testers" are either being used, or just want to try the new OS without paying for it. Many dont ever report back to MS with anything. Myself included.

Also, there's a difference between bashing MS on a Linux board, and going over to the MS forums and bashing there. A troll is a troll is a troll.

niteshifter
November 1st, 2009, 03:17 AM

There is no way to avoid this happening unless there is some way to get a huge boost in the number of beta testers.

Psst! Don't tell anyone ... but this is how they get a huge boost in beta testers ;)

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 03:21 AM

yeah but look at the finished product tho, 2 expensive,full of security holes what MS don't fix for weeks, the dreaded blue screen of death, insert a printer into a usb port from the one it was installed from and re-goes though installing the driver again , then take a look in device manager & next to printer will be a number like (10) or something like that how many times you swapped usb leads. the same for every usb device you insert, Viruses pron (I've heard people talk about how they haven't had AV , firewalls or spyware apps instead & never got virsues, excuse my French now Bull-crap, 2 minutes after doing a clean install of vista for my partner on her brand new laptop , windows popped a box up saying explorer has devoloped a serious error & needs to shut down, stuck the hard drive in a cage in mine & scanned it with ClamTK & guess what loads of viruses. & the hard drive had a trial of norton in but got them from updating it LOL, no wonder I use Linux

Frak
November 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM
Ubuntu Devs dont get PAID.

Wrongo mate. Canonical pays developers to work on Ubuntu and Ubuntu-related products.

Before you call me a troll, get your facts straight.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM
All of us that worked to get Karmic to the release worked very hard--this one had quite a bit more to smooth out--Grub2 & the "new" GDM were very hard to smooth as much as they are now---you should have seen them 4 months ago......Both have WIP config panels going---still don't know if GDM config is being "blended" into the Appearance panel or not--that was the last word as far as I know. As for Grub2--GFXmenu will be in the works very soon & that promises a real eye-candy bootloader!!! The SUM (Start-up Manager) developer is working on SUM2 for editing the new grub, so there are real nice things coming soon....

Hang in there everyone!!!

Claus7
November 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hello,

the biggest problem is not ubuntu by itself. The problem, I think is based elsewhere.

Since dapper, ubuntu was not able to fascinate so much with the other releases. Dapper was something as a revolution. I think that it was one of the most successful ubuntu (and linux in general) distributions ever. It had tweaks, yet with the community, things were getting better and better. Really, in the end the distro was rocking!

So, the problem with the new distros is that, while they are becoming more fancy and more user friendly, they have even more bugs. Things are not working as they used to, and with all these new features, it is even more difficult for someone to fix something.

What is even more troublesome, is that some solutions that were working, now they have changed so much, that the old tricks are not doing their job. And someone had devoted many hours in order to find how to set up someone's machine.

Since (almost) everyone should look on for the new shiny desktop and compiz and whatever, the challenge of upgrading will be always on. The problem is: is it possible to have all these things and also not to be forced every time there is an update to find out why the sound is off?

Is it possible to keep the level of the users as high so as to keep people experimenting with the system? Sometimes, using all these graphical things, I think that I'm loosing the ability to have my system under full control.
On the other hand:
I'm still messing with alsa and pulseaudio, trying to find out which one to configure in order to bring my sound back. In the end I win, loosing ten minutes, which I would not loose otherwise and without understanding what I gained doing all this process, since I think that is random.

Either graphical environment or not, I think that the power is in the command line. So we still need to caltivate this even for the new users.

Finally, I do not understand why we need one million of choices for our sound setup or whatever. Since things are working, I cannot understand the logic behind all these changes. My humble experience teaches me that, whatever is working we do not touch it. Yet, I might be wrong.

I can see that karmic is an improvement comparing it with jaunty. At least the lock ups have ceased and this distro seems more robust. Yet, the experiment and familiarization is still in early steps.

Well done, for the 9.10 distro. Let's polish it even more and expect the new one.

Regards!

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM

/facepalm

I don't bash Windows o.O

I DISLIKE Windows for many reasons, but I don't think I really bash it other than just playing around..

EDIT -- and yeah I know my signature often contradicts these kind of posts lol But I love my signature! xD

Frak
November 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I don't bash Windows o.O

I DISLIKE Windows for many reasons, but I don't think I really bash it other than just playing around..

I was just stating the irony of the general populous.

NE Key
November 1st, 2009, 03:38 AM
My computer is running on an Operating System that goes like a dream but has taken one or two little tweaks to get it just the way I prefer.

Icehuck
November 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
My computer is running on an Operating System that goes like a dream but has taken one or two little tweaks to get it just the way I prefer.

So you're running FreeBSD? Nice!

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
I was just stating the irony of the general populous.

I still don't think I "bash" Windows 7 that much though... they're mostly just constructive criticisms or opinions about ms or closed source. I can't remember a single time where I've "bashed" the actual OS o.O

EDIT -- Once again, my signature excluded! hehe!

JillSwift
November 1st, 2009, 03:47 AM
I still don't think I "bash" Windows 7 that much though... they're mostly just constructive criticisms or opinions about m$ or closed source. I can't remember a single time where I've "bashed" the actual OS o.O

Oh oh. You used the dreaded dollar-sign in place of the S!

There will be consequences. Brace yourself! :o

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
Oh oh. You used the dreaded dollar-sign in place of the S!

There will be consequences. Brace yourself! :o

it's second nature to me ._. lol

JillSwift
November 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
it's second nature to me ._. lol
=^_^=

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM
I still don't think I "bash" Windows 7 that much though... they're mostly just constructive criticisms or opinions about m$ or closed source. I can't remember a single time where I've "bashed" the actual OS o.O

Yeah it's like me, Microsoft do make some good stuff , take the xbox 360 for example I've got both a 360 & ps3 and prefer play on the 360 :rolleyes:, going back to the OS, it's OK for gaming on if your into that sort of thing, but for basic everyday stuff , I.E **not the browser** office work, surfing the net,listening to music, downloading,chatting online (Linux rocks) Ubuntu i mean, as it's free, viruses free, spyware /malware free, easy to use, but it's not for everybody tho

mrebanza
November 1st, 2009, 03:58 AM
I just upgraded from windows XP to ubuntu 9.10 on my acer netbook . . . . . and its great! :D

Since the acer doesn't come with a CD drive to run a ubuntu boot disk and the USB install seemed more complicated than I had anticipated I was happy to find wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) a windows based installer for ubuntu that made the whole install very easy!

Are you a windows user curious about Linux and Ubuntu?

http://avatar.identi.ca/1852-48-20090318153013.gif

TRY WUBI! (http://wubi-installer.org/)

I am new to ubuntu so it took me a small amount of time to hack around and switch things around for a way that siute me best (about 24 hours) but thats the cool thing that you can change almost every on ubuntu just the way you like . . . . . I am running ubuntu on my Acer Aspire One netbook laptop switch only has 1GB of Ram and 120 GB hard drive but it still runs smoother than windows XP which can stock with the acer machine. After the wifi Internet comely stopped working I knew it was time to make the switch . . . . Ubuntu 9.10 completely TRUMPS Windows 7 in every way . . . the amount of GOOD QUALITY FREE software that is out their for Linux is remarkable and the software center makes it super easy to download new apps!

[while windows 7 isn't compatible with hardly any of the old XP and Vista Apps - ubuntu and linux software developers work hard to make everything super compatible - Firefox and Java where even having problems and crashing when I use windows 7 at work =o( ]

Lets face it 99% of computer users are using thier PC's for one thing - The INTERNET - So Firefox coming stock with Ubuntu was a BIG plus - spending some time in the Firefox Add-ons (https://addons.mozilla.org/) official site has my new Ubuntu net-book running with ALL the feature I could ever want and more!

Among them some of my favorites have to be . . . .

https://addons.mozilla.org/img/default_icon.pngGoogle Preview (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/189) (show thumbnail preview images for Google, Yahoo! and Bing search results.)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/images/addon_icon/8049/1256227590Google Tube (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8049) (nifty little player for YouTube, also adds download and play links for Google, Yahoo! and Bing search results.)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/images/addon_icon/433/1257000498 Flash block (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433) (Blocks Flash so pages load faster and you wont be annoyed by ads . . . . if you want to load a video just press play!)

All and all I LOVE MY UBUNTU now that I have tweaked it out just the way I like it . . . . its fast and fun to use . . . . now get you pop corn ready for MY UBUNTU!!!

:popcorn:

I am using the Humanity icon set (which comes stock on Ubuntu 9.10)

Mista for Window Borders (http://art.gnome.org/themes/metacity/1363)

&

Aero-clone theme (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aero-clone?content=57352)for controllers

Everything else from their is simply right clicking adding and dragging the apps around to best meet you needs

All and all I love MY Ubuntu and I would like to thank everyone who has spent time to build it and all the developers who contribute to it for such a cool OS - Thanks :D

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 04:00 AM
Yeah it's like me, Microsoft do make some good stuff , take the xbox 360 for example I've got both a 360 & ps3 and prefer play on the 360 :rolleyes:, going back to the OS, it's OK for gaming on if your into that sort of thing, but for basic everyday stuff , I.E **not the browser** office work, surfing the net,listening to music, downloading,chatting online (Linux rocks) Ubuntu i mean, as it's free, viruses free, spyware /malware free, easy to use, but it's not for everybody tho

yeah I love the 360 :)

ViperChief
November 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
And, MS beta and Rc "testers" are either being used, or just want to try the new OS without paying for it. Many dont ever report back to MS with anything. Myself included.

Out of curiosity, how were the Beta and RC users being "used?"

nelamvr6
November 1st, 2009, 04:11 AM
People "bash" 9.10 because they're frustrated.

There has been a lot of hype, when expectations don't jibe with experience then this sort of thing happens.

You can't ask for patience when you're releasing an OS, people will point and laugh.

It seems to me that a lot of the problems people are encountering could be avoided by including restricted drivers in the ISO, why doesn't this happen?

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/images/addon_icon/8049/1256227590Google Tube (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8049) (nifty little player for YouTube, also adds download and play links for Google, Yahoo! and Bing search results.)

Awesome. Thanks.

BTW, would mind using the attachment tool instead of posting such a huge image on the post itself? It messes with the forum layout and forces users with 4:3 monitors to use the horizontal scroll.

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Awesome. Thanks.

BTW, would mind using the attachment tool instead of posting such a huge image on the post itself? It messes with the forum layout and forces users with 4:3 monitors to use the horizontal scroll.

haha yeah seconded, it is HUGE!

dj-toonz
November 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM
People "bash" 9.10 because they're frustrated.

There has been a lot of hype, when expectations don't jibe with experience then this sort of thing happens.

You can't ask for patience when you're releasing an OS, people will point and laugh.

It seems to me that a lot of the problems people are encountering could be avoided by including restricted drivers in the ISO, why doesn't this happen?

Linux cant release Restricted stuff in there OS i.e be Codecs , Drivers because of copyright laws, in other countries for example the DVD codec, WMA, WMV & a few other Restricted things are illegal to use in America & other countries for example that's why & Mark Shuttleworth would have a massive lawsuit on his hands if Ubuntu put the Restricted stuff into the OS (I think that's right)

Dimitriid
November 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
While I can appreciate the compromise between stability and updates, 6 months its too aggresive and shouldn't be set in stone.

misfitpierce
November 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM
Exactly... it had tons of new technologies pushed into it to test before the next LTS release so everything would be stable... If people don't want to hit mad bugs possibly they should stick with LTS releases or wait a month or two before upgrading on 6 month cycles instead of making 500 threads complaining because there are an equal amount of ppl if not more of ppl that had no problems or minor bugs and they reported them etc instead of complaining and making dumb threads noone cares about :P

I also recommend a clean install on this release of 9.10 instead of upgrade to make sure the GRUB2 works without getting messed up and to take full advantage of EXT4 for speed increases etc!

gnicko
November 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM
I mean just think of the big improvements we have had with Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

My Manifesto....

I've been using Ubuntu for years and enthusiastically too, I might add, but this release (and really the one before, to some degree) seem to be "losing ground" quite impressively. Pretty much "Microsoft" style.

Seems to be somewhat less reliable if you talk to an alarming number of people lately. Kind of reminds me of Windows 95 (For those of you too young to remember Windoze95..."It wasn't all that sucky, but It's important to realize that it only crashed about 20 times a day. Before 95, having your computer lock up 35 times a day was "normal.")

Yes, the list does go on for quite a bit...I think, though that this the list of "annoyances" with Karmic. I'll give you Grub. That's pretty cool, and a long time coming...

The new themes look a whole lot like....well, like they could have been "old" ones that just missed being included last year. I'd really like to see something "new" from the design team. Where's the "boldness" and "confidence" that was there in the past? Shall we expect 10.4 to be Microsoft Blue with Mac icons? Maybe with the Star Trek set-design-reject look of Vista?

I've never really thought of Gnome as being "pretty", and the new "looks" are OK...but Ubuntu had a style to it. An earthy, natural, relaxing kind of look to it. More like "furniture" than "technology". Like you could kind of smell it.

The new splash screen is--face it--butt ugly. I had to look twice the first time it booted up...thought I had installed RedHat 5 or some drunken High School kid hacked my computer while I wasn't looking.

The new gdm login screen (and almost complete lack of a login manager or "configurator") is enough to make me want to **** vinegar....I realize it isn't really solely Ubuntu's doing, but that thing's a fail on two counts! Where's the style? Someone slipped in a monochromatic, baby-sh*t gold thing in there, and there's no good way to change it!

While we're at it, I don't like choosing users at login either. That seems to be a security issue, and if you can't remember your username, how you figure your luck will be with the password? Did we really need to dumb that down? I mean if you need help logging in, maybe you shouldn't own a computer...there are other jobs; other hobbies for you to take up. Why can't I turn that off either?!?

And Ubuntu One.... What?!?

OK...now let me continue and say this: This has been the first upgrade in a long time that seemed to work as flawlessly "behind the scenes" as I expect these things to go. It did surprise me that I had to deal with a window popping up at the first boot asking me to pick out which character set to use as the default, but in going from 9.04 to 9.10, I didn't have to fool around with drivers or settings or anything more than that. There were no "glitches" and it all went smoothly. That is until it booted up and immediately regretted it.

Now I'm thinking of downgrading my system to 9.4 or checking out what the other distros are doing these days....

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
It's amazing how people's definitions of "good looks" differs. I love the new splash screen and login theme, I think they look excellent. Not perfect, but a huge improvement.

But that's just me, and to be honest I have limited idea what the default Gnome look is because I use KDE.

However, I adore the new "Humanity" icons and the new background, it all looks wicked to me :)

gnicko
November 1st, 2009, 05:16 AM
It's amazing how people's definitions of "good looks" differs. I love the new splash screen and login theme, I think they look excellent. Not perfect, but a huge improvement.

But that's just me, and to be honest I have limited idea what the default Gnome look is because I use KDE.

However, I adore the new "Humanity" icons and the new background, it all looks wicked to me :)

Well, I do like the simplicity of it...just hate the "hue." I must stand my ground about the login configuration and lack of options, etc. For instance, I could have "tweaked" the login and splash screen, etc. if the control panel were still there and been happy as a clam right now.

Maybe I'll give some further thought to KDE. It's been a long time since I really used it (3. something I think) so I guess I'm due to give it a run-through. It's just so "blue!"

All in all, I'll probably stick it out with 9.10...just doing a little rant first. I know a lot of really talented people put a lot of hard work into this (and each release) and I don't want to diminish any of their work. I really do like the Humanity icons. Quite a bit. I'd like to see more "Ubuntu" in it though, in the future.

nelamvr6
November 1st, 2009, 05:25 AM
Linux cant release Restricted stuff in there OS i.e be Codecs , Drivers because of copyright laws, in other countries for example the DVD codec, WMA, WMV & a few other Restricted things are illegal to use in America & other countries for example that's why & Mark Shuttleworth would have a massive lawsuit on his hands if Ubuntu put the Restricted stuff into the OS (I think that's right)

If that's true why are the restricted drivers on the Live CD?

Is Ubuntu being purposely deceptive?

Most of the restricted drivers are not "restricted" because of copyright concerns, they're restricted because they aren't released under the GPL. That's a big difference. Ubuntu needs to shackle the zealots and make the restricted drivers available.

Ubuntu needs to make the same set of drivers that are available on the LiveCd available in the ISO.

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 05:26 AM
Well, I do like the simplicity of it...just hate the "hue." I must stand my ground about the login configuration and lack of options, etc. For instance, I could have "tweaked" the login and splash screen, etc. if the control panel were still there and been happy as a clam right now.

Maybe I'll give some further thought to KDE. It's been a long time since I really used it (3. something I think) so I guess I'm due to give it a run-through. It's just so "blue!"

All in all, I'll probably stick it out with 9.10...just doing a little rant first. I know a lot of really talented people put a lot of hard work into this (and each release) and I don't want to diminish any of their work. I really do like the Humanity icons. Quite a bit. I'd like to see more "Ubuntu" in it though, in the future.

With the GDM thing, surely you can still configure GDM a fair amount can't you? There is nearly always a pretty comprehensive tool knocking around in the repos somewhere. GRUB 2 is the only thing I can see being tricky to configure at present, due to it's increased complexity over GRUB 1 but primarily because it's so new.

KDE 4.3.2 is truly excellent though, I would be very surprised if you didn't like it :)

ankscorek
November 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM
i am using since days when it did not have X

i can say ubuntu series is doing an extrememly unique job by simplifying things for the user

markp1989
November 1st, 2009, 12:49 PM
yeah but look at the finished product tho, 2 expensive,full of security holes what MS don't fix for weeks, the dreaded blue screen of death, insert a printer into a usb port from the one it was installed from and re-goes though installing the driver again , then take a look in device manager & next to printer will be a number like (10) or something like that how many times you swapped usb leads. the same for every usb device you insert, Viruses pron (I've heard people talk about how they haven't had AV , firewalls or spyware apps instead & never got virsues, excuse my French now Bull-crap, 2 minutes after doing a clean install of vista for my partner on her brand new laptop , windows popped a box up saying explorer has devoloped a serious error & needs to shut down, stuck the hard drive in a cage in mine & scanned it with ClamTK & guess what loads of viruses. & the hard drive had a trial of norton in but got them from updating it LOL, no wonder I use Linux

i remember a while ago doping a fresh install of xp on my sisters pc, with in 5 minutes it had 5 or so viruses, the only sites i had been on were the windows update page!!

adalal
November 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM
The biggest advantage of Ubuntu is that you get an OS for absolutely free, and never pay exorbitant sums for the Windows equivalent.

Yes, people are working hard on getting these problems solved, and instead of whining on and on, and taking things for granted, it'd b useful if everyone actually helped and contributed to the OS by at least reporting bugs. If you're actually pissed off about Ubuntu, then I'd suggest you dump the OS and go back to your previous OS...

K.Mandla
November 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
it's funny this about people bashing Ubuntu, every time a new release comes out, it gets called crap, awful, pile of **** , you name it, then when the next release comes out, it's the same with that & that the last release before the new release was better it just worked ...
Oh, so true.

Screwdriver0815
November 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM

Most of the restricted drivers are not "restricted" because of copyright concerns, they're restricted because they aren't released under the GPL. That's a big difference. Ubuntu needs to shackle the zealots and make the restricted drivers available.

Ubuntu needs to make the same set of drivers that are available on the LiveCd available in the ISO.

restricted drivers are NOT on the live CD. When you install a restricted driver in a fresh Ubuntu-install, just open your eyes and you will see a message like "searching for drivers", "downloading and installing driver". DOWNLOADING = its not in the installation and therefore not included in the Live-cd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

my opinion regarding bashing and so on:

look, its the same every 6 months. This shows me personally that Ubuntu is the first collector of ex-Windows users in the Linuxworld. The other distro's should be thank- and grateful to Ubuntu for protecting them from this...************ I don't have a wording for that...
these users are the ones who scream, yell and complain about every new release. But they just do this, instead of doing something productive.

And exactly these users are the ones who get fanboyish when all the issues are sorted out (of course without the help of these users as they just sit there and wait for being nursed and served).
And exactly these users are the ones who do feature requests on things, which are just needed by them and a minority of users.
And exactly these features are implemented into the new releases, as these users are the ones which have to be attracted to fix Bug #1...

so for me, looking at Karmic, I say: I also have to bash it some way. Its too much Windows. Its a pitty. I liked Ubuntu and Linux in general for being no Windows... now I get the same over here.

- login, automated username: whats that? for the ex-Windows people who are so stoned that they don't remember their username? Great! Lets sacrifice some more security details for the sake of dumbness!

- update manager... disturbing, annoying... fiddeling around in the gconf editor required to get the right behaviour, which treats the user as human being instead of a stoned monkey

- the same goes for the user switch applet

and many more details... the bootsplash for example: looks like Windows XP, the wandering progress bar... pure Windows XP... so all these users who complain today will be satisfied tomorrow... and others who have worked for this distro for some time... will switch to another distro...
as I said: the other distros should be grateful to Ubuntu.

maflynn
November 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
People bash ubuntu because they don't like it or are upset that the upgrade failed to deliver on their expectations

to me starting a thread about this is both hypercritical and thinned skinned. It's ok to knock windows but not ubuntu?

I like ubuntu but one of the knocks is that there's too many fanboys. This thread seems to exhibit this. They can knock anything but crititze ubuntu or canonical watch out

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
restricted drivers are NOT on the live CD. When you install a restricted driver in a fresh Ubuntu-install, just open your eyes and you will see a message like "searching for drivers", "downloading and installing driver". DOWNLOADING = its not in the installation and therefore not included in the Live-cd.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

my opinion regarding bashing and so on:

look, its the same every 6 months. This shows me personally that Ubuntu is the first collector of ex-Windows users in the Linuxworld. The other distro's should be thank- and grateful to Ubuntu for protecting them from this...************ I don't have a wording for that...
these users are the ones who scream, yell and complain about every new release. But they just do this, instead of doing something productive.

And exactly these users are the ones who get fanboyish when all the issues are sorted out (of course without the help of these users as they just sit there and wait for being nursed and served).
And exactly these users are the ones who do feature requests on things, which are just needed by them and a minority of users.
And exactly these features are implemented into the new releases, as these users are the ones which have to be attracted to fix Bug #1...

so for me, looking at Karmic, I say: I also have to bash it some way. Its too much Windows. Its a pitty. I liked Ubuntu and Linux in general for being no Windows... now I get the same over here.

- login, automated username: whats that? for the ex-Windows people who are so stoned that they don't remember their username? Great! Lets sacrifice some more security details for the sake of dumbness!

- update manager... disturbing, annoying... fiddeling around in the gconf editor required to get the right behaviour, which treats the user as human being instead of a stoned monkey

- the same goes for the user switch applet

and many more details... the bootsplash for example: looks like Windows XP, the wandering progress bar... pure Windows XP... so all these users who complain today will be satisfied tomorrow... and others who have worked for this distro for some time... will switch to another distro...
as I said: the other distros should be grateful to Ubuntu.

But they all had wandering bars didn't they? They are in most things! The Karmic one didn't remind me of Windows... it just looked really cool!

And the user switch thing, we have needed that on Linux for a WHILE. It does make the PC look more welcoming, and honestly I really can't believe any significant degree of security is compromised...

The Update Manager I dunno... what has changed? It looks pretty much the same to me ._.

To me Ubuntu still looks NOTHING like Windows, I mean KDE does but that's just KDE being KDE! lol

*spins the cube a bit* ^_^

People bash ubuntu because they don't like it or are upset that the upgrade failed to deliver on their expectations

to me starting a thread about this is both hypercritical and thinned skinned. It's ok to knock windows but not ubuntu?

I like ubuntu but one of the knocks is that there's too many fanboys. This thread seems to exhibit this. They can knock anything but crititze ubuntu or canonical watch out

It is the Ubuntu forum though, so you must expect it to some extent! I feel there is quite a nice mix of attitudes here though! :)

I jump to the defence of KDE that fast though, that's usually my thing! :D

sanderella
November 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
...me too...

Screwdriver0815
November 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
But they all had wandering bars didn't they? They are in most things! The Karmic one didn't remind me of Windows... it just looked really cool!

And the user switch thing, we have needed that on Linux for a WHILE. It does make the PC look more welcoming, and honestly I really can't believe any significant degree of security is compromised...

The Update Manager I dunno... what has changed? It looks pretty much the same to me ._.

To me Ubuntu still looks NOTHING like Windows, I mean KDE does but that's just KDE being KDE! lol

*spins the cube a bit* ^_^

yeah, wandering bars... in former releases they wnadered from left to the right-hand side, according to the progress of loading up the system. Now in Karmic the bar goes from left to right, from left to right, from left to right, from left to right, from left to right... like in Windows XP = you can not see the progress of loading, which is the actual purpose of a progress bar --> losing function over styling, surely requested by an ex-Windows-user... ](*,) ;) :D

the user switch thing in general is not bad at all but the 60 seconds countdown is in my opinion the same style as in Windows. You click on the userswitcher, switch-off, ok... three clicks... as in windows. maybe we should add a question "are you really sure, that you want to switch the computer off?" with 3 buttons: »yes«, »no«, »don't know«
In Jaunty you could switch this countdown off easily but now you have to tweak around either in the gconf-editor or in the terminal...

update manager... nothing has changed since Jaunty. And thats the bad thing about it.
The behaviour is like that: it pops up and wants to install the updates NOW - reminds me of which system? ;)
if you click it away, its gone and maybe it comes up again, but who knows? reminds me of which system?

So to get the non-annoying behaviour: you have to tweak around in the gconf-editor or in the terminal...

So its not the looks, its the behaviour.

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
yeah, wandering bars... in former releases they wnadered from left to the right-hand side, according to the progress of loading up the system. Now in Karmic the bar goes from left to right, from left to right, from left to right, from left to right, from left to right... like in Windows XP = you can not see the progress of loading, which is the actual purpose of a progress bar --> losing function over styling, surely requested by an ex-Windows-user... ](*,) ;) :D

the user switch thing in general is not bad at all but the 60 seconds countdown is in my opinion the same style as in Windows. You click on the userswitcher, switch-off, ok... three clicks... as in windows. maybe we should add a question "are you really sure, that you want to switch the computer off?" with 3 buttons: »yes«, »no«, »don't know«
In Jaunty you could switch this countdown off easily but now you have to tweak around either in the gconf-editor or in the terminal...

update manager... nothing has changed since Jaunty. And thats the bad thing about it.
The behaviour is like that: it pops up and wants to install the updates NOW - reminds me of which system? ;)
if you click it away, its gone and maybe it comes up again, but who knows? reminds me of which system?

So to get the non-annoying behaviour: you have to tweak around in the gconf-editor or in the terminal...

So its not the looks, its the behaviour.

does it want it done now? I don't think I've felt pressured to install updates in KDE or Gnome on here... when does it do this?

And yeah I do think the wandering bar looks stylish... lol

Screwdriver0815
November 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM
does it want it done now? I don't think I've felt pressured to install updates in KDE or Gnome on here... when does it do this?

And yeah I do think the wandering bar looks stylish... lol
it opens up, no matter what you do at this moment. It jumps right over your work. If you close it, I don't know what happens then: does it come back? What if there are security updates in there? should I force now an update, so that I don't forget it? This "user you have to do this and to bother about it NOW" thing annoys me.

in the former versions (Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex) the updater just put a small icon into the upper taskbar. You saw it and when you have time, you install the update. Without bothering.
Of course you can switch Jaunty and Karmic back to the behaviour of Hardy and Intrepid but... this kind of annoys me.

and the progress bar... its just stupid ;) :D

magnus33
November 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM

Agreed.

I posted that 9.10 wasn't ready for prime time yet and needed a few more weeks to a month before it should have come out.
Fanboys jumped all over it and totally ignored realty.

Forget how it looks that's subjective to everyone so arguing about that is pointless.

Lets stick with the fact that its got major issues for a whole lot of people and stuff that worked before is now broken.
We are talking about stuff like sound and audio..not little things like the wrong clock settings.

Its clear pulse audio is not ready for prime time yet..go to the irc forums and they tell you that removing it fixes most sound issues.

People have no issues with bashing windows when they break something but point out some major flaws in ubuntu and they tell you its your hardware or you.

Forum needs to face facts and stop making excuses and then things well get fixed much faster.

At that point 9.10 well be the os people wanted and expected.

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM
it opens up, no matter what you do at this moment. It jumps right over your work. If you close it, I don't know what happens then: does it come back? What if there are security updates in there? should I force now an update, so that I don't forget it? This "user you have to do this and to bother about it NOW" thing annoys me.

in the former versions (Hardy Heron and Intrepid Ibex) the updater just put a small icon into the upper taskbar. You saw it and when you have time, you install the update. Without bothering.
Of course you can switch Jaunty and Karmic back to the behaviour of Hardy and Intrepid but... this kind of annoys me.

and the progress bar... its just stupid ;) :D

KDE doesn't though! Just use that! hehe :)

Screwdriver0815
November 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM
ah! don't get me started on Kubuntu 9.10! ;) :D 9.04 with KDE 4.3 FTW!!! :D

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 05:23 PM
ah! don't get me started on Kubuntu 9.10! ;) :D 9.04 with KDE 4.3 FTW!!! :D

lol! What's the difference? I haven't noticed any change at all on my KDE set up since switching to 9.10, other than slightly improved Gnome apps, new Amarok, Ubuntu One, stuff like that :)

JillSwift
November 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
lol! What's the difference? I haven't noticed any change at all on my KDE set up since switching to 9.10, other than slightly improved Gnome apps, new Amarok, Ubuntu One, stuff like that :)
Psst.

<_<

>_>

Kernel!

gnicko
November 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM
With the GDM thing, surely you can still configure GDM a fair amount can't you? There is nearly always a pretty comprehensive tool knocking around in the repos somewhere. GRUB 2 is the only thing I can see being tricky to configure at present, due to it's increased complexity over GRUB 1 but primarily because it's so new.

KDE 4.3.2 is truly excellent though, I would be very surprised if you didn't like it :)

I don't think so. I haven't had a whole lot of time to investigate, but from what I can see, there is no login configuration available. You get like one choice...automatic login for a particular user or not. There is nothing else.

I bounced in to the KDE login and tried to see about changing it, but the same options (or lack thereof) were in there as well.

KDE was a lot prettier than I remembered it. Looked good. Had a little bit of trouble finding everything. Seems to have a lot of little GUI issues for me, so I don't know about it.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Take a look in the (closed) Karmic-Development forum--there were quite a few threads about configuring the "new" GDM: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=359

I fought hard to get as much of a GUI as we have now--the future plans (as far as I know) are to "blend" GDM configure into the Appearances panel.....We will know more after the UDS & be testing changes in Lucid--post bugs & as soon as the new stuff is ready--ask for a backport.

Please read about this BEFORE using it: gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties

You need to change the theme & icons that GDM root uses.

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think so. I haven't had a whole lot of time to investigate, but from what I can see, there is no login configuration available. You get like one choice...automatic login for a particular user or not. There is nothing else.

Oh yeah how WEIRD, gdmsetup is looking very minimal. What on earth happened? o.O

Are you sure KDM isn't more flexible? Usually KDE tools have a TON of options.

KDE was a lot prettier than I remembered it. Looked good. Had a little bit of trouble finding everything. Seems to have a lot of little GUI issues for me, so I don't know about it.

Yeah there are small niggles, but 4.x is still quite young. For the most part on here it is mostly perfect for every day use, I run into very few problems.

ssri
November 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM

Kubuntu has the updater installed. Nothing like a simple 'sudo apt-get remove update-notifier-kde' to patch things up ;)

ssri
November 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM
Psst.

<_<

>_>

Kernel!

Well, someone using jaunty could simply add karmic's repos and use the new kernel that way, or download and install plain vanilla kernels from their mainline repository (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/). I didn't update to jaunty until kde 4.3.0 came out, and I was using jaunty's 2.6.28 kernel in intrepid with no problems. However, I do not recommend a novice user to try it. If it fails, then one could always go back to a previous kernel with the additional steps of removing the new kernel and possible downgrade of glibc.

ericmc783
November 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
I mean just think of the big improvements we have had for Karmic, such as GRUB 2, the new splash screen, new GDM theme, new Gnome themes, massive improvements to KDE, the Software Center, Empathy and improvements to the social desktop, Ubuntu One.. the list goes on!

ext4 is another one.

pgodfrey
November 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
Nothing can fail as hard as advertising your website on CNN saying it's going to be the "Google Killer" and then have your servers crash on hour one. Remember the search engine "Cuil"?

So relax, guys. There are going to be lots of hurdles to overcome. At least it's free and the support is free...unlike a much larger software company we all know of that just released their new OS which may or may not be a service release to their previous OS.

Things will improve with time. The upgrade yesterday went horrible. However that was easily fixed by installing the OS from scratch.

Phil

hoppipolla
November 1st, 2009, 08:31 PM
ext4 is another one.

yup :)

mrebanza
November 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM

IDK . . . . but I am pretty sure IF you own the device than you own the copyright to the drivers as well and are free to use them with any OS you choose???

the only copy right issue would be if the driver was use on a NON-OEM device which doesn't really make too much sense if you ask me

mrebanza
November 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

Sorry . . . . but i love my ubuntu :grin: Attached Thumbnails http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134021&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1257047904 (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134021&d=1257047904)

nikhilbhardwaj
November 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM

/facepalm
well put

ubuntu has won a lot of praise over the last few years
so we should take the criticism with a pinch of salt

and ofcourse with each subsequent release improvements will be made
who knows someday it may have more users than windows

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 09:43 PM
The operating systems market is very competitive. Get used to it. Also some of us have been backing Ubuntu for years. It's pretty hard to continue to back something that doesn't work properly.

My main complaint is that the GUI on so many applications looks absolutely terrible. Ubuntu should change its name to Uglyuntu or just Uguntu

vrkalak
November 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Methinks, that many people just do not accept 'change' well.

Change is not necessarilty a bad thing. :p For most of us ... Linux was change, and it's good.

ZankerH
November 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Can't help but wonder, the upgraded through the last three Ubuntu releases without any of the issues people were complaining about so vocally at the time. I just wish users could stop spreading fud, and bring their problems to the support forums in a civil manner instead of spouting off, generating panic and scaring people away for no reason.

PartisanEntity
November 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
We have such discussions every time a new version of Ubuntu is released. I just a CD update from the alternate CD, and it went smooth as butter, and I didn't even have to open my laptop, it was so smooth and problem free it all worked through the remote desktop session I had open.

MickS
November 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have upgraded every time since Dapper and this last one to Karmic has been the least troublesome one yet, just two icons not displaying everything else that worked before does now.

Mick

NCLI
November 1st, 2009, 10:47 PM
I have upgraded every time since Dapper and this last one to Karmic has been the least troublesome one yet, just two icons not displaying everything else that worked before does now.

Mick
If you're referring to less icons in the gnome menus, that is no bug, it is due to an upstream decision.

Johnsie
November 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
sounds like a bad decision to me. Ubuntu is getting uglier every release while OSX and Windows are becoming more beautiful. It's not just gnome though, alot of the apps have really bad UI's that need a bit of polish to make them look nice. That's what happens when you don't pay people to make things look nice.

quinnten83
November 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM

/facepalm

I don't bash windows.
I might have expressed criticism about the way MS conducts business or about some inadequacies of the MS OS.
And i feel it is valid. Why bash, bashing is not constructive.If there is a problem report it. Let's think in constructive solutions rather than in negative destruction and uhm bashing.

I realize it is your mission to confront people with what you see as hypocrisy in the face of choice and use of OS and the way people with conduct themselves based on that choice. But for crying out loud, it's linux forum, let people do a little bit of windows bashing to blow of some stream....

schmidtbag
November 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM
i agree with the fact that ubuntu should not be bashed so hard after every release, but 9.04 and 9.10 do deserve it (maybe not 9.10 kde). 9.04 had that horrendus crashing problem that affected several hundred, possibly thousand people. it took way too long to recover and its something that should have been tested a while ago. 9.10 with gnome is just plain terrible. i feel like all of my rights are being taken away - theres so many less features and customization. windows has more features at this point. theres a whole topic based on how bad gnome is becoming

quinnten83
November 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
While I can appreciate the compromise between stability and updates, 6 months its too aggresive and shouldn't be set in stone.

agreed.
I think 6months should be used for development and 3 for ironing out bugs and betatesting.

Frak
November 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
theres a whole topic based on how bad gnome is becoming

There's an entire community of people who try to express just how bad Gnome is becoming.

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hold on a sec O.O

Gnome looks much better now! At least in my eyes ._. I guess it's all proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Humanity icons > Human icons

new splash and GDM > old versions

GRUB 2 > GRUB 1 (at least aesthetically)

new background is also better, and new GTK theme. Guys serious.. which Karmic have YOU been using? lol

Anyway, it's all subjective, and granted my knowledge of it is offset because I do use KDE, and so I can only really go by screenies and fairly limited time in Gnome.

I was blown away when I first saw most of Karmic though :)

EDIT -- Although a bunch of missing icons is a bit silly - I hope they bung those in the Humanity set in time for Lucid, as I think it looked better with them o.O

crjackson
November 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM
Ya i don't know why everyone is flaming 9.10 it worked perfecly for me

I've got to get out more. I didn't realize 9.10 was being flamed anymore that any other OS. It works great for me so far on 4 machines. I have 8 more machines to install on and IF ALL 8 FAIL then I might spit a little hot sauce but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I had ONE machine which I couldn't seem to install any of the Alpha's or the beta, or the RC. The Final worked fine on that machine.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. This is the first release that I actually like the default theme. I usually change everything right off the bat, but I've changed nothing this time. Maybe I'm just starting to appreciate the defaults, or maybe they're getting nicer looking out of the box. I don't know but I wont be changing it anytime soon.

lethalfang
November 2nd, 2009, 04:29 AM
It's also funny how people proclaim Ubuntu is so superior to Windows in terms of stability and compatibility. Every problem is Microsoft's fault.
However, when Ubuntu suffers problems 100 times greater during every single release, it's the people's fault.
The truth is clear from the shear number of catastrophic problems during every release, that Linux is still an OS for the geeks who don't mind spend hours and hours to get their box to actually work.

weasel fierce
November 2nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
If its any consolation, I went to 9.10 a few days before release, and it's worked flawlessly.

hellmet
November 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM

come here to pronounce that x.xx rhyming rhizome is the worst release ever..

the 6 monthly troll-fest as best you can :)
Dude, you're hilarious. But your idea of having more Beta testers makes sense. I always make sure to install by Beta or RC. But, strangely I've rarely had issues to report. So, I've not been of much help.

toupeiro
November 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Don't know what everyone is so up in arms about.. Its worked excellent for me thus far with the exception of a Shiretoko/Citrix issue which is more of a Mozilla problem than an Ubuntu problem. I've yet to see anyone really outline, in detail, what broke and doesn't work for them outside of a few people with RAID arraws. I've mostly seen a lot of whining without much to back it up so far. HELP US HELP YOU!!

MorphingDragon
November 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
"Whatever you get coming is usually what you deserve!"

Awesome Quote

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
"Whatever you get coming is usually what you deserve!"

Awesome Quote

lol kind of, but dissatisfied people do tend to be more vocal! heh :)

CbrPad
November 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM
Don't know what everyone is so up in arms about.. Its worked excellent for me thus far with the exception of a Shiretoko/Citrix issue which is more of a Mozilla problem than an Ubuntu problem. I've yet to see anyone really outline, in detail, what broke and doesn't work for them outside of a few people with RAID arraws. I've mostly seen a lot of whining without much to back it up so far. HELP US HELP YOU!!

Here's one, 3g modems. Some of us can get around it, but an average user with no other means of web access would be completely stopped in their tracks..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/446146?comments=all

suitedaces
November 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
9.10 will only be appreciated around the end of April 2010...

hoppipolla
November 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
9.10 will only be appreciated around the end of April 2010...

haha yeah, joke is that to my eyes Ubuntu is improving in leaps and bounds with every release :)

But not everyone seems to agree! hehe

magmon
November 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I beg to differ. With each release since 8.04, my computer has become increasingly outmoded. 9.10 pushed me over the edge, removing both 3d support and desktop effects. Back to intrepid for me.

JDShu
November 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
It's also funny how people proclaim Ubuntu is so superior to Windows in terms of stability and compatibility. Every problem is Microsoft's fault.
However, when Ubuntu suffers problems 100 times greater during every single release, it's the people's fault.
The truth is clear from the shear number of catastrophic problems during every release, that Linux is still an OS for the geeks who don't mind spend hours and hours to get their box to actually work.

Its funny how so many people seem to think that they are the first to make this comment. The truth is that there are all sorts of "people" in any community.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM

100x greater? That's nonsense o.O

It works PERFECTLY on here and I upgraded.

I just can't level a real counter-argument at that because it's so far off of truth ._.

Viva
November 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
You see these overreactions every time a new ubuntu is released. The culprits are usually the same group of people.

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I dont bash Ubuntu. Its doing what so many other distros have tried to do for years and thats gain such a huge user base that it stands to challenge Windows.

That being said, Ubuntu could loose its user base far faster with minor unfixed issues. Many of the users of Ubuntu are well "n00bs" to the linux world. No pun intended but its true. Everyone a newbie sometime in each others life. Not everyone has the technical expertise to remove pule audio and replace alsa off the bat with each install AND thread replies like "Pulse Audio is here to stay no matter what" will in fact kill off that user base.

So dont take this as a bash, but as advice.

LISTEN TO YOUR USER BASE

Exodist
November 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
You see these overreactions every time a new ubuntu is released. The culprits are usually the same group of people.
Not always. People complain when there is a issue. If there wasnt a issue, you wouldnt see the complaints. You could be the one with issues next release.

note32
November 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM

/facepalm

isn't that the truth.....

madmax75
November 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Overreactions? I updated 9.04 to 9.10, I have a 3G broadband modem as my ONLY way to connect to the net, and it just stopped working. Dead. Nada. Zip. Nothing.

For me, this is a real, actual and major problem, not "overreacting".

Luckily I was able to use my phone to surf to Ubuntu Forums and I found a temporary solution.

But really, at least these kinds of networking bugs should definitely be fixed before any kind of major release. I have used Ubuntu as my sole OS for over a year now, and I briefly considered installing some other distro after encountering this problem.

So what do you think newbies will think? Cheer and celebrate?

Rambar
November 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Overreactions? I updated 9.04 to 9.10, I have a 3G broadband modem as my ONLY way to connect to the net, and it just stopped working. Dead. Nada. Zip. Nothing.

For me, this is a real, actual and major problem, not "overreacting".

Luckily I was able to use my phone to surf to Ubuntu Forums and I found a temporary solution.

But really, at least these kinds of networking bugs should definitely be fixed before any kind of major release. I have used Ubuntu as my sole OS for over a year now, and I briefly considered installing some other distro after encountering this problem.

So what do you think newbies will think? Cheer and celebrate?

Well, I would have taken precautions before doing that. When I decided to upgrade to 9.10 yesterday (and, surprise surprise, it worked almost perfectly), I made sure I had my 9.04 LiveCD in hand just in case anything went wrong, and backed up everything. TBH, if it hadnt worked it wouldnt have been a deal as I could have gone back.

Tristam Green
November 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Based on another thread, that's clearly *your* fault for buying the wrong type of hardware. Gosh.

Not always. People complain when there is a issue. If there wasnt a issue, you wouldnt see the complaints. You could be the one with issues next release.

Easily one of the more insightful things I've ever seen you write here.

/facepalm

Funny how that works. Clearly any other Operating System that doesn't run a Linux kernel just crops up out of the mud, like a frog.