PDA

View Full Version : Question on the new "hd signal" since going digital

sports fan Matt
October 31st, 2009, 06:38 PM
My question is pretty simple. Since everyone switched to a digital television format in February, if I have a tube tv (I'd say 27 "), if you have a TV with a cable converter box (like I do), even though I don't have the HD channel lineup (costs more), channels are in HD..is that true or not?

gn2
October 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Not all digital broadcasts are made at HD resolutions, and if you have to pay more for the HD content, chances are in your circumstances it's false.

sports fan Matt
October 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why Charter does this, I assume $ related, but I'm stuck with them here (hard wired outside) unless I get a dish.

gn2
October 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Unless the programs on the HD channels are better, I wouldn't bother paying extra for them. (and a new TV)

Let's face it the jokes in Family Guy aren't any funnier at higher resolutions. (for example)

Frak
October 31st, 2009, 07:26 PM
Digital Signal != HD Signal.

Anyways, some channels will be broadcasted in HD for free, such as NBC, CBS, and ABC. Other than that, the only difference you'll see is that you had to take the time to set up yet_another_box_to_watch_television.

t0p
October 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Since everyone switched to a digital television format in February

You mean "Since everyone in the USA switched to a digital television format in February".

Please make an effort; the internet is not part of the USA.

cariboo907
October 31st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I have an HD satellite receiver, once you start watching HD programing, it's hard to go back to standard def.

All cable companies advertise that they use digital receivers, but that's more marketing buzz than anything else. It's a digital signal to the cable box, but gets converted to analog so that TV can use the signal.

Crunchy the Headcrab
October 31st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Digital Signal != HD Signal.

Anyways, some channels will be broadcasted in HD for free, such as NBC, CBS, and ABC. Other than that, the only difference you'll see is that you had to take the time to set up yet_another_box_to_watch_television.

Exactly, the quality of the signal is better, the quality of the picture, not so much. In most cases you won't even notice a difference.