PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where do I put these folders?

lems
October 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've downloaded a few programs such as eclipse, but I have no idea where to put the files. I just have them on my desktop. Is there a proper place to put these programs? In windows, they were put in C:/program files

is there something similar in linux?

jrrader
October 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Don't download from http.
Go to synaptic package manager(system>administration>synaptic package manager), software center(applications > software center((or add/remove programs if you're not useing 9.10))), or type in terminal (applications> accessories> terminal):

sudo apt-get install eclipse

Doing it this way will insure you get the correct build for your system. Sometimes you can use .deb packages but they won't always be right for your OS.

Darce
October 31st, 2009, 05:57 PM
If your referring to the .deb install files, you can delete them after you've installed the program
If your talking about files your creating, make a directory under your 'home folder' and put them in there.

lems
October 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Don't download from http.
Go to synaptic package manager(system>administration>synaptic package manager), software center(applications > software center((or add/remove programs if you're not useing 9.10))), or type in terminal (applications> accessories> terminal):

sudo apt-get install eclipse

Doing it this way will insure you get the correct build for your system. Sometimes you can use .deb packages but they won't always be right for your OS.

package manager has eclipse 3.2. I need 3.5 so I just went and downloaded eclipse from their main site. It gave me a folder with all the files and executables. I was wondering where to put such a file.

If your referring to the .deb install files, you can delete them after you've installed the program
If your talking about files your creating, make a directory under your 'home folder' and put them in there.

Hmm I'll look into the deb file.

peculiar penguin
October 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Typically /usr/local or /opt, not sure which one is better/preferred in Ubuntu.
But as jrrader said, if the repositories have the version you want/need consider installing it from there.

Darce
October 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Bizarre..... my package manager has Eclipse at ver 3.5.1+repack !?

jrrader
October 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Applications generally go in /usr/bin
If you open terminal and type
echo $PATH you will see your search path. This is the path that shell looks in when you give it a command. Put the file somewhere in the search path and you can call up the program by typing its name in terminal. /usr/bin contains no folders, they are generally in /usr/lib32 or /usr/lib64.

I just downloaded the eclipse folder I think you are talking about from their website and it does work without compiling it. So you can probably just drop it in the search path but like Darce said, my software center shows 3.5.1 as well.