PDA

View Full Version : Your impressions on Gnome Shell 3.0

tuahaa
October 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM
With Gnome 3.0 bringing a huge change to the Gnome DE, I think its time we had a poll.

Islington
October 31st, 2009, 05:21 PM
well pm me when we have it I suppose. Till then see ya in recurring posts.

tuahaa
October 31st, 2009, 05:22 PM
well the poll is up =P

optimisme
October 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think Gnome needs to modernize, but this is not the way to go. I think Gnome Shell drives far from 'easy to use' approach for average users who like the menus to find things (not everyone remembers the name of the applications, for this reason Ubuntu uses Movie Player notation instead of Totem)

In the near future interfaces will not be related to a Desktop with a mouse or a keyboard, and screens will be used touchable without a defined Up and Down approach. Sincerely, i think Gnome Shell doesn't fit into this environment. And Gnome is not able to fail, because they are not Microsoft who is able to fail several times in order to create interesting products, if they waste time and resources with a failing technology they are dead.

And this is sad, because i love the way Gnome manages my desktop today (I don't like the way Gnome applications are developed, ...) but I love it's simplicity.

Apart of that, well, better things (Desktop environments) will come ...

tubasoldier
October 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
There is too much zooming going on. It seems like a change for the sake of change. But only time will really tell.

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I voted for "I'm switching to KDE", but I have already switched, because of Gnome Shell.

I'm loving KDE. Anyway, I guess most people already know that, because I have posted this info on so many Gnome Shell threads.

Recurring Discussions...5...4...3..2...1....BUM!

tuahaa
November 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah even if Gnome 3.0 doesn't have any bugs, it will be far too tedious to use. You need to click applications, then a new screen will come up showing favourites and all as well as workspaces. I don't want to view my workspaces when I am just opening something like firefox! This is KDE's chance...

coldReactive
November 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah even if Gnome 3.0 doesn't have any bugs, it will be far too tedious to use. You need to click applications, then a new screen will come up showing favourites and all as well as workspaces. I don't want to view my workspaces when I am just opening something like firefox! This is KDE's chance...

Or XFCE or LXDE or Crunchbang, etc.

MellonCollie
November 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
"I don't know yet", because I haven't used it. I'm going to wait until the first official release and then make up my mind.

dirtylobster
November 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Gnome-Shell is useless at the moment as it effectively disables Gnome-Do (at least for me).

coldReactive
November 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Gnome-Shell is useless at the moment as it effectively disables Gnome-Do (at least for me).

And for me because of compiz not working with it.

tuahaa
November 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
It looks too hard to use, as I stated before.

Muppeteer
November 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Looks pretty crap.

Glad i switched to KDE back in Feb.

They seem to have just kept everything the same on the desktop and stolen features from Gnome-Do and Compiz. There doesn't seem to be a lot of originality. Still the same outdated Gnome panel, and the same simple look. I wonder how people without decent gfx hardware are gonna cope with this.

Mornedhel
November 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I want the ability to use any window manager that I choose.

I cannot do this with gnome-shell.

Therefore, I will not use gnome-shell.

hoppipolla
November 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I used it while I was on Gnome, as I felt I enjoyed the desktop experience more with it on. But I still prefer just a normal desktop with normal cube and wobbly windows and all that jazz! lol

I too find it zooms too much... I couldn't really find a way to use it functionally ._.

TomtheWombat
November 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I am using gnome-shell occasionally. It is stable, but sometimes non-gnome windows get 'lost' (Matlab.) I need to keep AWN running on the bottom.

Whoever decided that gnome-shell should include its own panel is an absolute idiot. Gnome-shell should replace functionality of the panel applets, but not the panel itself! Just add an activities button to the panel and call it gnome-activities-manager. If I knew anything about Gnome/GUI programming, then I would start my own fork. Let us keep our panel and configure it the way that we like!

These guys are pissing their time away coding a new panel that is worse than the old one. They should be concentrating on user interface and core functionality. Windows should zoom in when you mouseover their icons, clicking the username in the upper right should bring up a widget desktop with shutdown options, etc....

coldReactive
November 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Since I switched to a T41 laptop, allow me to change my opinion:

I simply can't use it because my specs are too low.

Keyper7
November 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I wonder how people without decent gfx hardware are gonna cope with this.

I think they won't. A lot of things might still change in gnome-shell, but the decision of requiring hardware acceleration seems final. I hope I'm wrong, though, because that would be a major showstopper for me. I have a decent video card, but I like to disable acceleration when I'm on battery.

23meg
November 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
the decision of requiring hardware acceleration seems final.

It doesn't require "hardware acceleration", but compositing, which is something that pretty much every piece of graphics hardware that came out in the last five years (and then some) does. The only cases in which there may be problems that I see unaddressed are running GNOME Shell on virtual hardware and remotely.

I like to disable acceleration when I'm on battery.

Not sure what kind of acceleration you're talking about, but generally speaking, offloading drawing operations from the CPU to the GPU should give you better battery time.

SushiR
November 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Since I switched to a T41 laptop, allow me to change my opinion:

I simply can't use it because my specs are too low.

It even works on my Eee 901...

ibuclaw
November 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Works (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8077868#post8077868) for me?

And for me because of compiz not working with it.
Gnome-Shell is more like a panel, not a window manager

Metacity is a WM.
Compiz is a WM.
Mutter is a WM (the backend that Gnome-Shell depends on).

It looks too hard to use, as I stated before.
It has short comings, but they can be overcome.

I want the ability to use any window manager that I choose.

I cannot do this with gnome-shell.

Therefore, I will not use gnome-shell.
That is a myth. Gnome-Shell can snap off just as easily that it can snap on. See Here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8086049&postcount=1)

Looks pretty crap.

Glad i switched to KDE back in Feb.

They seem to have just kept everything the same on the desktop and stolen features from Gnome-Do and Compiz. There doesn't seem to be a lot of originality. Still the same outdated Gnome panel, and the same simple look. I wonder how people without decent gfx hardware are gonna cope with this.
Trust me, it is nothing like Gnome-Do or Compiz at all.

It is a unique take on Workspace and Application management. Such avant garde hasn't been seen since KDE4.0 was first released. Looking back at - and learning a thing or two from - history, not many people liked KDE4.0 either, for much of the same reasons as above.

Regards
Iain

vagrantrooper
November 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
At first I did not like Gnome3-shell, not one bit.

But the more I used it the more I started to like it so I came away with the impression that there's certainly a place in this world for it.

SushiR
November 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
That is a myth. Gnome-Shell can snap off just as easily that it can snap on. See Here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8086049&postcount=1)That's pretty cool...

CaseSensative
November 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
In my personal opinion it seems a little slower and biggish on start up. Other then that the interface is smooth as 2.0 or even faster. All in all I am pretty happy with it.

Warpnow
November 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I despise it and have already switched to XFCE in anticipation.

Mornedhel
November 8th, 2009, 08:46 PM
That is a myth. Gnome-Shell can snap off just as easily that it can snap on. See Here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8086049&postcount=1)

See here. (http://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-devel-list@gnome.org/msg15605.html)

This quote shows that basically, the gnome-shell team is not interested in making the project compatible with other window managers, unless they have radically changed direction very recently.

As a matter of fact, later in the thread, hoppipolla does make it clear he *replaced* kwin with gnome-shell.

ibuclaw
November 9th, 2009, 06:36 AM
See here. (http://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-devel-list@gnome.org/msg15605.html)

This quote shows that basically, the gnome-shell team is not interested in making the project compatible with other window managers, unless they have radically changed direction very recently.

As a matter of fact, later in the thread, hoppipolla does make it clear he *replaced* kwin with gnome-shell.

As I've already covered:

Gnome-Shell is more like a panel, not a window manager

Metacity is a WM.
Compiz is a WM.
Mutter is a WM (the backend that Gnome-Shell depends on).

Mr. Picklesworth
November 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
The idea with Gnome shell "not being compatible" with other window managers is that it is designed upon a realization that the window manager, panel and launchers all represent the space between applications. For an end user, these things permit organizing tasks.

It makes a lot of sense to handle that space in one single application since it allows for far more consistency. Clean bridges can be established between different stages of those tasks.

Странник
November 9th, 2009, 08:03 AM
It's too early to tell

Exodist
November 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Think the biggest thing for me not liking GS is the lack of Task and Application bars. Or at least I never see them on anyones screen. Also how is Gnome shell going to act with users using dual screens.

matthew.ball
November 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM
As long as it can do an expo-esque technique and allow Gnome-Do, I'm sold.

Mornedhel
November 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
As I've already covered: Mutter is a WM (the backend that Gnome-Shell depends on).

Wait, there must be some kind of misunderstanding.

My complaint was that you can't use other window managers, because basically, if you do, you lose a large chunk of the new functionality (well, basically anything in the future of Gnome starting with Gnome 3 -- I keep hearing things about Zeitgeist and a new way of managing contacts from Gnome Shell).

Then you say that Gnome Shell depends on a particular window manager. How is that different from "you can't use other window managers" ?

I think you either took my comment as meaning that Gnome Shell *was* a window manager (although technically not true, it is in practice, since Gnome Shell uses only one window manager and that window manager is used only for Gnome Shell), or you meant that using other window managers was still possible independently of other considerations.