PDA

View Full Version : editing cron jobs with a script

hellfeuer
October 31st, 2009, 09:27 AM
I want to add/remove cron jobs with a script.

I can think of one way to do this: crontab -l, edit the output, then add it back with crontab filename

But this is ugly. Is there a simpler way? Placing files in /etc/cron.d is perfect but unfortunately requires superuser privileges. Any way around this? The man pages don't help, but surely someone else has encountered this problem before?

ENOTTY
November 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
If you're not averse to Python, take a look at python-crontab, located at https://launchpad.net/python-crontab.

diesch
November 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
"crontab -e " uses $EDITOR to edit the file. It has not to be an interactive editor, just set it to a script that takes a file names as argument and modifies that file.

Or use

crontab -l | some_script | crontab -

hellfeuer
November 3rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Both are basically the first method I was talking about. I guess there is no alternative.

shel-hall
November 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
It's always possible that what you want to do can be done another way.

For example, if the object of the cronjob change is a filename substitution, set the cronjob to read the filename from a file.

Another thing folks often want to do is to control the date or time that a cronjob runs ("every other Friday except on Christmas"), something that you can also do within the cronjob itself.

So ... aside from the general idea of changing a cronjob with a script, what are you really trying to do?

-Shel

diesch
November 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
If you want to manage your cronjobs in e.g. ~/.cron.d/, just use something like

cat ~/.cron.d/* | crontab -

after you modified anything in ~/.cron.d/