PDA

View Full Version : Help Recovering a Stolen Laptop

pissedoffdude
October 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Wednesday of this week, a friend of mine was bugging me to let him borrow my laptop. I agreed, not thinking much of it, and he said he would return it the next day at 11 am. Turns out he was "busy" and he couldn't return it until that evening. So I text him that evening, and apparently, he had gotten in a car accident and the laptop was smashed, or so he said. Not believing it, I had a friend who he has a crush on text him to ask how his day was. Apparently, he had been at home all day, and didn't mention anything about. I called him out on this, he took like a 20 second pause, then said that was all a joke, and that he'd return it this morning. Well, it turned out to be excuse after excuse. When I finally threatened to report it as stolen to the police unless he gave it back, he told me it got stolen. Now, I don't believe this at all, and even went the the police about it, but the best they can do is knock at his door and ask for it back. Something tells me it was sold, or that he doesn't have it in his possession.

I'm trying to get proof that he has it before I show up to his house with the police. The laptop is running linux, and I'm wondering if there's a program that lets me know he's running linux. In order to get him to use this program, I could get this friend he has a crush on to get him to use it.

Does anyone know of such program? Also, do you guys have any advice on what I can do in this situation?

lespaul_rentals
October 31st, 2009, 07:11 AM
Here's what you need to do. Do you know where he lives? Find out, now.

Get a laptop from a friend or whatever. Use Backtrack 4 and park outside his house. See if you can pick up his Wi-Fi signal. If it's WEP protected, you'll have to crack it. But there are many tutorials online for that.

Once it's cracked, see if you can enter the default passwords to get into the router. View the router client list. You will be able to see all hosts connected, and if you see your laptop's hostname or MAC address, it will prove it is your computer.

If the router's passwords have been changed from the defaults, use a traffic analyzer such as Wireshark. It will show all the traffic and you can find your MAC address or hostname in there.

cariboo
October 31st, 2009, 07:30 AM
The guy is jerking you around, don't bother trying to get proof that he is using it. Call the police and press charges. If you can produce proof of ownership, that's even better.

Hallvor
October 31st, 2009, 09:52 AM
That is a nice friend you have there.

Странник
October 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
call the police now!!!!!!!

LookTJ
October 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Do you have a receipt or bill showing you bought a specific model of the laptop he stole? If so, use that to press charges with.

speedwell68
October 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Well phone the Police and get them to ask for it back. The moral of this story is don't lend anyone anything.

HNS-I
October 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Funny(not so)
A friend of mine took in a roomy a few years ago that turned out to be scum. It was the exact same story. My friend contacted the guy his mother and managed to get money via her. Also kicked him out of course.
Just report this to the police, then make it a civil case.
EDIT: You could try to scan for his wifi but cracking in is a bad idea if you want to take this to court. It wont give you your laptop back and odds are he has sold it anyway.

Khakilang
October 31st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Get a PI to track him down and a couple of ex-army guys to work him over. Ask him to pay for the usage of the laptop and expenses and the trouble he caused you and....

Oh well just call the police and press charges. Thats what your hard earn tax paying is for.

cascade9
October 31st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Not believing it, I had a friend who he has a crush on text him to ask how his day was. Apparently, he had been at home all day, and didn't mention anything about. I called him out on this, he took like a 20 second pause, then said that was all a joke, and that he'd return it this morning. Well, it turned out to be excuse after excuse.

If the police have already failed, maybe its time for cunningness. You might be able to ask your friend to ask him to 'show her (him?) a few tricks with computers. If you name-dropped as to where you got your info about what he did that did day, get her (him? LOL) to say that you have really annoyed them, or else they would have asked you.

If that fails, superglue is always an option. Superglue his doors shut, etc. I Admit I am nasty at times.

ericab
October 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Funny(not so)
A friend of mine took in a roomy a few years ago that turned out to be scum. It was the exact same story. My friend contacted the guy his mother and managed to get money via her. Also kicked him out of course.
Just report this to the police, then make it a civil case.
EDIT: You could try to scan for his wifi but cracking in is a bad idea if you want to take this to court. It wont give you your laptop back and odds are he has sold it anyway.

yeahh.. just what the US justice system needs to clog it up even more.

dont involve the authorities; solve it face to face, like a man.

t0p
October 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM
a friend of mine

You need to stop being so naive and trusting. You call this guy "friend", but he calls you "sucker".

This idea you have of using a program to prove he's using the computer just won't fly. Do you know the MAC address of the laptop's wireless card? Do you really believe he'll be using the OS you installed on the laptop? Don't you think he's probably put his own fave OS onto it? More likely, he's sold the laptop.

You can kiss that computer goodbye. You'll never see it again. And since the police don't want to get involved, I think you can forget any ideas of having him arrested. You should get on with your life. But make sure you learn from this experience. Don't be so trusting. Don't assume everyone is your friend. Don't be so snecking naive!

HNS-I
October 31st, 2009, 11:39 AM

Are you suggesting that he should take matters into his own hand and use physical force to retrieve his laptop?

SuperSonic4
October 31st, 2009, 11:43 AM
You're not gonna get it back - that laptop is long gone. Ring the police - but cut your losses and chalk this down to experience

t0p
October 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
Are you suggesting that he should take matters into his own hand and use physical force to retrieve his laptop?

I'm sure that isn't what he's suggesting, as that would be a violation of the forum's rules.

He probably meant that the OP and the thief should sit down and have a grownup conversation. Or something.

Hallvor
October 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm sure that isn't what he's suggesting, as that would be a violation of the forum's rules.

He probably meant that the OP and the thief should sit down and have a grownup conversation. Or something.

Yes. With a smile on his face and a gun in his pocket. Or something.

lespaul_rentals
October 31st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Listen. You have the right to press charges and file a REPORT with the police. They will ask him. If he says he has it and gives it up, you can choose whether or not to press charges from there. If he says it was stolen, you have to right to press charges against the "thief" which means you can lead an investigation. Your "friend" will have to explain everything perfectly.

Yes, I agree. But considering the audience I am speaking to...I decided to go the more "legal" route.

I would totally take matters into my own hands. Forget the police...

emigrant
October 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
and I'm wondering if there's a program that lets me know he's running linux.

well if he is browsing the forum, and you know his username, the forum admin can see whether he is running linux or MS.

Skripka
October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
The guy is jerking you around, don't bother trying to get proof that he is using it. Call the police and press charges. If you can produce proof of ownership, that's even better.

Depending on law where the OP lives, it would likely fall under grand larceny...and if found guilty would (likely) be a felony. I say "likely" as the distinctions in larceny, and the punishments thereof depend on where one is.

Either way call the cops. Odds are this "friend" is not going to be a "friend" much longer.

pizza-is-good
October 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Listen. You have the right to press charges and file a REPORT with the police. They will ask him. If he says he has it and gives it up, you can choose whether or not to press charges from there. If he says it was stolen, you have to right to press charges against the "thief" which means you can lead an investigation. Your "friend" will have to explain everything perfectly.

I agree. While you let the police do the investigations, gather everything that you know about the computer. Brand, model, color, size, all of the hardware and software specs, serial #s if you have them, scratches and broken pieces that you remember that it had, get any pictures of it that you have. Give all of this to the police.
Be nice to you friend. Tell him that you need him to talk to the police to help you find the thief, so that you get your laptop back. Have your friend that he or she has a crush on look for the laptop at his house, or inquire him about it. If your friend finds it, then you can do 2 things, have him of her get it back for you, or tell the police.

Good luck.

pizza-is-good
October 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Depending on law where the OP lives, it would likely fall under grand larceny...and if found guilty would (likely) be a felony. I say "likely" as the distinctions in larceny, and the punishments thereof depend on where one is.

Either way call the cops. Odds are this "friend" is not going to be a "friend" much longer.

The OP lives in San Diego, CA. I was going to say the same thing, but found out that it says the location on the left side of his post.:popcorn:

JillSwift
October 31st, 2009, 06:32 PM

Right - only if you precede "man" with "cave".

Tipped OuT
October 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
The OP lives in San Diego, CA. I was going to say the same thing, but found out that it says the location on the left side of his post.:popcorn:

San Diego? I pratically live next door to this guy.

I'll come over there and show his littte friend a bit of that 1, 2, 1, 2.

emigrant
October 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
:p:p:p

LookTJ
October 31st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Next time I lend a "friend" a laptop or anything, that I have some trust issues with, I'm making him sign a contract.

:P

Skripka
October 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM

You're not a guy, you wouldn't understand. :)

ericab
October 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
sorry i guess i should have clarified better; i was not advocating physical violence.i guess maybe it did sound a bit like that. sorry
...however.. in some situations it is necessary

lumbalumba
October 31st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Oh gee that really sucks. Just go and report this to the police and let them do the work. Man you can't just let this go. It's a laptop and you can't buy a new one right away. If it's stolen, at least he'd get what he deserves.

CharlesA
October 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Sucks about the laptop. Too bad this "lojack for laptops" thing is only for Windows and Mac. Supposedly it's quite handy. :rolleyes:

File a police report and let them do the dirty work.

Sealbhach
October 31st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Sounds like this friend is no friend at all.

SuperSonic4
October 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
well if he is browsing the forum, and you know his username, the forum admin can see whether he is running linux or MS.

As I believe the servers are hosted in the UK releasing details about the accused without a warrant is illegal under the Data Protection Act 1998

Chronon
November 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Sucks about the laptop. Too bad this "lojack for laptops" thing is only for Windows and Mac. Supposedly it's quite handy. :rolleyes:

File a police report and let them do the dirty work.

So. . . if someone wipes the HD and installs Linux on it then it won't work?