PDA

View Full Version : Seagate vs Western Digital

blueshiftoverwatch
October 31st, 2009, 03:58 AM
Some people swear by Seagate and others by Western Digital.

Which brand do you think is more reliable?

caulktel
October 31st, 2009, 04:18 AM
All the defective drives I have ever encountered were either Seagate's or Maxtor's, I believe they are the same company.

GSF
October 31st, 2009, 04:24 AM
lol this will be fun.. of course seagate is better, but many ppl will vote for WD .. !:popcorn::popcorn:

misfitpierce
October 31st, 2009, 04:27 AM
I had a WD mybook and switched it for nice Seagate external because I trust Seagate more. I have had WD HDD die before when I had desktops but never had a Seagate die out on me even one that I had for years longer than the Western Digital. I trust Seagate way more than Western Digital or any other brand... Seagate for the win!

CharmyBee
October 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM
My Seagates are doing great. 7200.11 definitely a defective line late in 2008 but so far 7200.12 has posed no issues for me.

CharlesA
October 31st, 2009, 04:57 AM
I've had success with both brands, but mainly use WD drives.

Icehuck
October 31st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Western Digtal.

It was the kind of drive that was in the laptop we tossed off the roof of the building I work at. We wanted to know if laptops bounced and surprisingly enough they do. Took the drive and it still booted up.

Frak
October 31st, 2009, 05:12 AM
Western Digital

The last couple of Seagate drives I had quickly became corrupted.

JDShu
October 31st, 2009, 05:13 AM
I've had success with both, but I give seagate the edge... just vibes that I get :P

Maxtor however is terrible.

oobuntoo
October 31st, 2009, 06:51 AM
I've been using the same drives from Seagate and Samsung in my rig for over two years with no problem. Couple months ago I added a 1.5TB drive from WD and it's making strange vibration noise that's driving me crazy.

lespaul_rentals
October 31st, 2009, 07:14 AM
Western Digtal.

It was the kind of drive that was in the laptop we tossed off the roof of the building I work at. We wanted to know if laptops bounced and surprisingly enough they do. Took the drive and it still booted up.

Sounds like real scientific evidence you got there.

ctrlmd
October 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM
never tried seagate before i'm allways WD for no reason except for i never sow seagate
HD in any computer market shop

samsung was good

maxtor was terrible

Glucklich
October 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM
It's all good, in my opinion.

Exodist
October 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Seagate I know at one time was extremely reliable. This was based on the old 5400RPM 3.5 drives that were slow and quite. Now of days they are just average.

Now WD had a run of bad drives for a few years around late 90s if my mind servs me right. But that was a quality-vs-quantity issue that has been resolved and now they are very reliable.

Over all as of this post WD is more reliable then Seagate IMHO..

- Exo

ViperChief
October 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Western Digital. I've owned a couple Seagates. Weren't worth a crap. I've never had an issue with a WD hard drive. I still have one from about 7 years ago that still works solidly. I no longer buy anything except WD.

Странник
October 31st, 2009, 08:59 AM
I prefer WD. I've not had a problem with my WD drives

Khakilang
October 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have install Seagate and Western Digital and they have been use extensively for the past 5 years now. I don't know how long I am going to live to see either one of them fail.

cascade9
October 31st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I've seen, and had issues with both. Personally, I prefer WD drives, but thats just me. I voted 'They're both about the same'. Every HDD manufacturer has had issues at some time, and I dont think that basing comparisons on limited sample sizes its realistic.

-grubby
October 31st, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've had one western digital drive die on me, though there are some others that are older and are still kicking.
I've never used a Seagate drive.

Icehuck
October 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Sounds like real scientific evidence you got there.

You're just jealous because you didn't think of it first.

Bachstelze
October 31st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Who cares about reliability? That's what RAID is for...

cb951303
October 31st, 2009, 11:59 AM
I would go with hitachi or fujitsu

lilbill
October 31st, 2009, 12:49 PM
I've got a 7 year old WD with XP on it and a 3 year old Seagate both with no probs! (Knock Knock Knock)

samjh
October 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
I've used two generations of WD hard drives without any problems.

Last time I used Seagate (about 6 years ago), I suffered a head crash.

Digikid
October 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Western Digital all the way. Never had ONE fail on me yet. At least when WD makes a firmware ( extremely rare ) it does not make the problem worse like Seagate has done.

Nothing but problems with Seagate, Maxtor, and Hitachi.

gletob
October 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Western Digital: Never had a single proble with one, but Seagate & Hitachi have been a world of hurt for me.

infestor
October 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
read my lips: hitachi

steveneddy
October 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
No Maxtor drives.

Seagate has given me issue to many times.

Western Digital all the way. I even use a WD external drive for my lappie.

nisshh
October 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
WD always, although in the unlikely event that WD went out of business id then go seagate.

koshatnik
October 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I have used Maxtor, Seagate, WD and Hitachi. All worked equally well.

I'd say then, in my experience, all much of a muchness. The rest is personal opinion.

gn2
October 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I almost always buy Samsung drives, but will buy Seagate at a push only if it's for a customer's machine.

lespaul_rentals
October 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
I've used many, many Seagate drives, and only one has developed bad blocks. I worked for my school district IT department and they used lots of Seagate drives and we never had a large number of replacements. Most of the Western Digitals I've used have been pretty good drives. Usually Seagate drives seemed "faster" at times. I've used one Maxtor drive, and it's working after a few years. I even have a 20 GB "Bigfoot" 5.25" drive. It's a knarly beast, but it's still going strong. Was my primary HDD on my Windows Server 2003 setup for several months!

pwnst*r
October 31st, 2009, 07:45 PM
nothign but bad luck three times with Seagate drives. two internals and one external. in my experience, pretty bad.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 31st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Voted "I don't know".

I've only had one disk fail, and it was a Maxtor. All the other old drives simply became obsolete because of the growing storage demand of Microsoft products. I wish I had those old 20 and 40 GB drives because they would work fine with a Linux distro. Anyway, I have a Western Digital and a Seagate drive sitting in front of me right now on this computer.

Zoot7
October 31st, 2009, 08:58 PM
The only Hard Drive I had fail on me in the last 6 years was a Seagate one; so I voted Western Digital.

Sunflower1970
October 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I've had excellent luck with WD. Had one Maxtor and one Seagate crash on me. Not one WD had ever crashed. *knock on wood*

toupeiro
October 31st, 2009, 09:10 PM
This is an age old debate which I actually have not seen come up in quite a long time. :)

These days, I doubt it matters much anymore

I will say this. My parents have a 540MB Maxtor drive that they bought for our family 80386 SX-20Mhz machine a long, LONG time ago. It still runs today, with no bad sectors. My dad keeps it around as a testament to maxtor drives. I think its valid.

I have had WD drives go ka-put on me within 2 years, that being said I have a 300GB WD drive in my machine right now thats been running for 4 years pretty much 24/7. Their quality has gotten better. I've seen a lot of seagate drives used over the years, I've never really experienced much in the realm of failure rates with them.

For me, I don't really care who is making it. I'll go for whomever can meet the specs I want for the cheapest price. I am using OCZ for my primary disk right now, and loving it.

Ironically, one of biggest enterprise storage vendors in the world, Hitachi, uses Maxtor FC drives. I know because I've personally installed them in their arrays.

cascade9
October 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
*blinks* Hitachi uses Maxtor? odd, considering that Hitachi has their own drives and Maxtor is just a Seagate brand these days (post 2006) anyway....

jmore9
October 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
In the last 9 years i have had 3 brand new maxtors fail 1 right after the other. I have had only 1 seagate ( brand new also ) fail in those 9 years.

I have 1 WD that is 9 years old and it still runs great( I bought it brand new ). I have 2 other WD (both brand new also ) which have given me no problems at all.

I always recommend WD to anyone who asks me because they have always worked for me,

If i remember correctly someone bought out Maxter awhile ago.

gn2
October 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM
If i remember correctly someone bought out Maxter awhile ago.

It was Seagate.