PDA

View Full Version : Gnash actually isn't that bad!

dragos240
October 31st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Huh, I just built the latest version from the bzr repo, and I must say, it works pretty well! Sure, they're only up to ver 8 (adobe flash ver), but the rendering and sound quality is great. I'm still trying to get gnash working in firefox, but I'm sure I can do it! Line rider 2 works good, the downloaded youtube player works fine. I'm pretty impressed!

schauerlich
October 31st, 2009, 03:13 AM
Congratulations! Here's a cookie.

http://imgur.com/6rJqC.jpg

Xbehave
October 31st, 2009, 03:14 AM
My only problem is that it's an either/or with adobe flash, if there was an easy way to use both Gnash for youtube/etc and abobe for games then i would probably use gnash 90% of the time, but i cba to go to the command line for that last 10% :(

misfitpierce
October 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM
I not using it... Think I last used when it first came out onto Ubuntu as an option in firefox and it rendered weird and it worked in firefox but the controls on youtube and stuff were smashed to one side and messed up.

murderslastcrow
October 31st, 2009, 03:30 AM
There are always video plugins for Youtube videos that allow you to use gstreamer/xine/etc. to render the videos.

I think that, with the next version of flash, it will become more acceptable in Linux. Then again, if Gnash can somehow catch up to Adobe Flash, I don't see why we shouldn't support them fully.

But I'm thankful for Flash, regardless of its questionable performance with video. I mean, it's the only eyesore in my Linux experience. Thinking of just using a different video site for the sake of convenience. XD I've noticed that Youtube performs more poorly than dailymotion, google video (especially), wikipedia...

The new kernel brings a lot more performance with it when it comes to Flash. But hey, I think it might be a good idea to integrate a gnash/flash combo in a plugin so that you CAN use both, depending a filter, and set one to be the default when the site doesn't occur in the list.

chris200x9
October 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM
I've been trying out freebsd on my laptop for a few days, and have been using gnash 0.8.6 it does everything I need :) ... except allow me to skip in movies... grrrr :P