PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python: Program Works Fine but Generates Errors

Penguin Guy
October 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm new to python and made a short program that allows you to move around a box, the only thing wrong with it is that it spews out some random errors every time I run it - what do they mean?

[ERRORS]

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./pybox", line 38, in <module>
curses.wrapper( main )
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/curses/wrapper.py", line 44, in wrapper
return func(stdscr, *args, **kwds)
File "./pybox", line 35, in main
screen.addstr( y , x , '#' )
KeyboardInterrupt

Although it looks like there are multiple errors above, there is only one, KeyboardInterrupt, the rest it is just debug information. We can fix this by adding a better way of exiting the program than just pressing Ctrl+C:

if char == 113: # q
exit()

[ERROR: If I go into the bottom right corner]

_curses.error: addstr() returned ERR

The reason I got this error was because after printing a character, it would move the cursor to the right (outside of the window).
Fixes:

Put the addch command in a try ... except statement - this is what I've done in the code below
Don't allow the player to move there
Hack the curses library

[PYTHON]

#!/usr/bin/python

import curses
import curses.wrapper
import random

def main(screen):
( screen_height , screen_width ) = screen.getmaxyx()

x = random.randrange( 0 , screen_width )
y = random.randrange( 0 , screen_height )

try: screen.addstr( y , x , '#' )
except curses.error: pass
screen.move( 0 , 0 ) # Keep the cursor out of the way

while 1:
oldx = x
oldy = y

char = screen.getch()

if char == 113: # q
exit()
if char == curses.KEY_RIGHT:
x = x+1
if char == curses.KEY_LEFT:
x = x-1
if char == curses.KEY_UP:
y = y-1
if char == curses.KEY_DOWN:
y = y+1

( screen_height , screen_width ) = screen.getmaxyx()

# If character is in illegal position, move it:
if x > screen_width-1:
x = screen_width-1
elif x < 0:
x = 0
if y > screen_height-1:
y = screen_height-1
elif y < 0:
y = 0

# If character has moved, redraw it:
if x != oldx or y != oldy:
try: screen.addstr( oldy , oldx , ' ' )
try: screen.addstr( y , x , '#' )

curses.wrapper( main )

Thanks to everyone to helped!

Can+~
October 31st, 2009, 12:16 AM
I discovered something.

If you expand the terminal window, then you hit the boundry, but don't get any errors.

If you make the window smaller, it errors before.

So it seems this error is raised, whenever a character is being put outside the visible margin.

Penguin Guy
October 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
I discovered something.

If you expand the terminal window, then you hit the boundry, but don't get any errors.

If you make the window smaller, it errors before.

So it seems this error is raised, whenever a character is being put outside the visible margin.
Thanks, I've fixed that now. However it still creates the same error if you go into the bottom right corner, which I can't understand.

dwhitney67
October 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
When you add a character, or a string, to a position at the "edge" (ie [screen_width,screen_height]) of the screen, the cursor gets placed right after it. This is throwing an exception, which you are not catching. Hence the reason your program ends in disgrace.

Here's a modified version of your code, where I have attempted to remove redundancies in the code in an effort to streamline it, and also to handle the error(s) described above.

#!/usr/bin/python

import curses
import curses.wrapper
import random
import console

def main(screen):
(screen_width, screen_height) = console.getTerminalSize()

x = random.randrange( 0 , screen_width )
y = random.randrange( 0 , screen_height )

screen.addch( y , x , '#' )
screen.move( 0 , 0 )

while 1:
oldx = x
oldy = y

char = screen.getch()

# In case the user changes the screen size
(screen_width, screen_height) = console.getTerminalSize()

if char == curses.KEY_RIGHT and x < screen_width-1:
x = x+1
elif char == curses.KEY_LEFT and x > 0:
x = x-1
elif char == curses.KEY_DOWN and y < screen_height-1:
y = y+1
elif char == curses.KEY_UP and y > 0:
y = y-1
else:
continue

if oldx == x and oldy == y:
continue

# Redraw the character in the new position
try: screen.addch( oldy , oldx , ' ' )
try: screen.addch( y , x , '#' )

curses.wrapper( main )

nvteighen
October 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM
First, you don't need the console module. Use screen.getmaxyx()... which does exactly the same and it's from curses itself.

Second, the occurs when the condition is (x = screen_width - 1 and y = screen_height - 1). I've been checking the code but I can't see anything that may crash only on that specific situation...

Third, you aren't refreshing your screen. That's a fatal mistake.

This doesn't work yet, but reflects the changes I tell you.

#!/usr/bin/python

import curses
import random

def main(screen):
# curses.nonl() ???
(screen_height, screen_width) = screen.getmaxyx()
x = random.randrange(0, screen_width)
y = random.randrange(0, screen_height)
screen.addch(y, x, '#')
screen.move(0, 0)

while True:
screen.refresh()
oldx = x
oldy = y
char = screen.getch()
if char == curses.KEY_RIGHT:
if x < screen_width - 1:
x = x+1
elif char == curses.KEY_LEFT:
if x > 0:
x = x-1
elif char == curses.KEY_UP:
if y > 0:
y = y-1
elif char == curses.KEY_DOWN:
if y < screen_height - 1:
y = y+1

(screen_height, screen_width) = screen.getmaxyx()

# If character is in illegal position, move it:
if x > screen_width - 1:
x = screen_width-1
elif x < 0:
x = 0

if y > screen_height - 1:
y = screen_height-1
elif y < 0:
y = 0

# If character has moved, redraw it:
if x != oldx or y != oldy:
if (oldx >= 0 and oldx < screen_width and
oldy >= 0 and oldy < screen_height):
screen.addch(oldy, oldx, ' ')

screen.addch(y, x, '#')
screen.move(0, 0) # Keep the cursor out of the way

curses.wrapper(main)

dwhitney67
October 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
First, you don't need the console module. Use screen.getmaxyx()... which does exactly the same and it's from curses itself.

I tried this; it resulted in an un-handled exception on the very first addch() call.

Second, the occurs when the condition is (x = screen_width - 1 and y = screen_height - 1). I've been checking the code but I can't see anything that may crash only on that specific situation...

See my post; it answers this.

nvteighen
November 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
I tried this; it resulted in an un-handled exception on the very first addch() call.

That's because the window.getmaxyx() method returns (height, width), the inverse of what console.getTerminalSize() returns: (width, height).

Honestly I didn't notice your post... :P What I don't like too much from your solution is that you're actually just bypassing the error with an exception... I guess there's another way, though as I can't think of any alternative, yours is oficially the best available right now ;)

dwhitney67
November 1st, 2009, 01:02 PM
That's because the window.getmaxyx() method returns (height, width), the inverse of what console.getTerminalSize() returns: (width, height).

:D That explains it!

I guess there's another way, though as I can't think of any alternative, yours is oficially the best available right now ;)

It's because of the leading cursor that "falls" off the edge of the screen. If that could be prevented, then the issue would go away. An alternative would be to exclude the line before the bottom edge, thus creating a "null" zone.

Anyhow, if you want to see the cursor position, just comment out the move() function call at the end of the while-loop.

Penguin Guy
November 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
@ dwhitney67:
The except works well - I've included it in my code. However your 'streamlining' broke the ability to resize the terminal window.

@ nvteighen:
I've updated my code to use screen.getmaxyx, but I don't understand what refreshing the screen does, or why it's important.

dwhitney67
November 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM
@ dwhitney67:
The except works well - I've included it in my code. However your 'streamlining' broke the ability to resize the terminal window.

Recheck my post again; I believe I fixed that issue (with a post-edit yesterday). I have tested my change and it works.

Penguin Guy
November 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Recheck my post again; I believe I fixed that issue (with a post-edit yesterday). I have tested my change and it works.
I tested it and it doesn't work: When you move to the bottom edge, then resize the terminal so that it's vertically smaller, the # is still at the bottom edge (as expected). But then if you press the up arrow, the # disappears.

dwhitney67
November 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
I tested it and it doesn't work: When you move to the bottom edge, then resize the terminal so that it's vertically smaller, the # is still at the bottom edge (as expected). But then if you press the up arrow, the # disappears.

You're right; I only tested by making the terminal bigger. I neglected to test the other possibility. Thus the code I posted has a deficiency. It seems your updated code meets the requirements.

Btw, update your code to use if-elif statements when checking the user's inputted value. Right now you use if-statements only, and obviously if the user presses the down-arrow, it cannot also be the up-arrow, left-arrow, right-arrow (etc).

Also, if you are done with the thread, mark it as closed.

Penguin Guy
November 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Although everything works as expected, I'm still getting the errors described in the first post.

dwhitney67
November 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Although everything works as expected, I'm still getting the errors described in the first post.

I re-copied your code from the original post, and re-ran it; it does not produce the errors anymore.

Are you still getting these errors, or are you merely trying to understand them? If the latter, I explained in an earlier post that it is the result of attempting to display the cursor at a position that is not within your window's boundaries. This error is still occurring, however this time with the modified code, you are handling that exception (and ignoring it).

If you want to see the behavior of the cursor after each arrow-key entry, remove the move() function call within the while-loop. When you move the # to the lower-right edge of the screen, the cursor has nowhere to go... but off the screen.

Penguin Guy
November 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
@ dwhitney67

When I run it I get the output below, the red-highlighted parts I am assuming are non-fatal errors, whatever they are, I want to know why they're there.

$ ./pybox.py
File "./pybox.py", line 51, in <module>
curses.wrapper( main )
File "./pybox.py", line 20, in main
char = screen.getch()
KeyboardInterrupt

Can+~
November 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
KeyboardInterrupt is raised when you do Ctrl+C (I'm guessing you're exiting the app this way).

If you want to make it close "gracefully", add a global try..except that will catch it and terminate the application.

nvteighen
November 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
@ nvteighen:
I've updated my code to use screen.getmaxyx, but I don't understand what refreshing the screen does, or why it's important.

I'm not sure how Python ncurses handles refreshing, but if you were doing this in C ncurses (i.e. the original library), your program wouldn't be showing any update after the initial state. ncurses works by writing stuff to a temporary screen and then dumping that temporary screen's contents to the current screen or "stdscr". Maybe Python does refreshing automatically, but I assure I have never heard about such a design in Python ncurses and I've used this module a lot... so it's probable that your program is refreshing by chance just because of some weird side-effect from some procedure.

Penguin Guy
November 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
KeyboardInterrupt is raised when you do Ctrl+C (I'm guessing you're exiting the app this way).

If you want to make it close "gracefully", add a global try..except that will catch it and terminate the application.
I'm fine with that, but want to know about the bit I highlighted in red:

$ ./pybox.py
curses.wrapper( main )
char = screen.getch()
KeyboardInterrupt

nvteighen
November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
If I were you, I'd start coding a way to exit... like typing 'q' or whatever. If you do Ctrl+C, you'll always get the KeyboardInterrupt exception and catching that generically through

try:
curses.wrapper(main)
except KeyboardInterrupt:
pass

though that's possible it reveals you haven't designed a proper way to exit the program. Make main() return after typing something or some other event.

Can+~
November 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'm fine with that, but want to know about the bit I highlighted in red:

$ ./pybox.py
curses.wrapper( main )
char = screen.getch()
KeyboardInterrupt

Again, is the same Keyboad interrupt, the red part indicated where it happend first:

#!/usr/bin/env python

input("This is the first input>")

input("This is the second input>")

input("This is the third input>")

This is the first input>
This is the second input>^C
File "asdf.py", line 5, in <module>
KeyboardInterrupt

Penguin Guy
November 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Again, is the same Keyboad interrupt, the red part indicated where it happend first:

#!/usr/bin/env python

input("This is the first input>")

input("This is the third input>")

This is the first input>
This is the second input>^C
File "asdf.py", line 5, in <module>
KeyboardInterrupt

Ahh I see, so it's basically just debug information, I've marked this topic as solved and updated the first post to show what I've learnt from this topic. Thanks for the help all of you!