PDA

View Full Version : Wanna re-try KDE

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
But I want to install it without all the K clutter... all those endless useless bloateware programs that come with Kubuntu. So how do I get KDE on Ubuntu cleanly without making it Kubuntu? Coz once I installed KDE and even in Ubuntu I still got left with all those hundreds of useless K programs cluttering my menus and running in the background.

spanks, sorry I didn't find a useful existing thread.

praveesh
October 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
You can install kde-minimal package . Or kde-standard or kde-full packages according to your requirements

Cheers

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
what he said :)

TheNessus
October 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
thanks, will do :)

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I recommend kde-minimal if you are running Karmic. It just installs the basic stuff. You might also want kdeplasma-addons, to get the full fancy desktop.

The package kde-full will install more stuff than the regular Kubuntu installation. To get all the packages of Kubuntu, then the necessary package is kubuntu-desktop.

If you are running Jaunty, then equivalent package for kde-minimal should be kde-core.

Take a look at http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde-core for more info.

TheNessus
November 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Somehow I don't seem to have a network manager installed on KDE-minimal, i.e. no wireless, specifically.

lovinglinux
November 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Somehow I don't seem to have a network manager installed on KDE-minimal, i.e. no wireless, specifically.

sudo apt-get install network-manager

Nevertheless, some users cannot use wireless with that and need to install wicd.

TheNessus
November 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM
thanks yet again