PDA

View Full Version : Open source Windows Live Messenger Client with best support of the protocol

andamaru
October 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've used pidgin, kopete, amsn, emesene.

I found pidgin worked the well for me, but with the most recent version of Windows Live it stopped work. My friends continually have trouble sending messages to me.

Kopete works the best for me but I can't connect to it in school, our network administrator blocks the port that msn uses and it doesn't support connect using the http method.

Amsn is my favorite but it also has the problem where my friends can't send messages to me, and when I send them they fail sometimes.

Emesene was the one I've been using most recently but it's also having the messages failing bug.

What has been your experience with the clients.

hoppipolla
October 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I tend to use a combination of Pidgin (as Kopete crashes a fair bit for me) and eBuddy online.

Sometimes I use Digsby too, but I know that isn't open source ._. Works well though! lol

JDShu
October 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Empathy works terribly with the msn protocol. I usually use amsn because it is the most feature rich. THe only problem is that it has very poor support for SCIM, which is a pain, so I use pidgin in such circumstances.

Странник
October 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Does Empathy work well ?

andamaru
October 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Digsby and Empathy look I forgot about those. Thanks everyone.

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I have not had luck with getting my webcam to work with Kopete. AMSN it works reasonably well, though I haven't had a chance to really test it yet.

I was going to say Empathy works fine, but I think I was using the AIM protocol, not the MSN.

andamaru
October 31st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Digsby doesn't have a Linux client yet :(

Berk
October 31st, 2009, 02:14 AM
I use finch, it's the terminal front for pidgin if memory serves correct.
No good if you want smilies, webcam and the like, but for simple text communication I've found it to be brilliant, it does everything I personally need.
The only thing I do miss with it is a little flash to tell me of new messages on my panel, but I can live without that for now, not enough people message me out of the blue for it to matter anyway. ^^

NoaHall
October 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM
aMSN works great for me.

LookTJ
October 31st, 2009, 02:25 AM
I use finch, it's the terminal front for pidgin if memory serves correct.
No good if you want smilies, webcam and the like, but for simple text communication I've found it to be brilliant, it does everything I personally need.
The only thing I do miss with it is a little flash to tell me of new messages on my panel, but I can live without that for now, not enough people message me out of the blue for it to matter anyway. ^^
Well. Pidgin is the GUI.
Finch is the CLI
libpurple is the backend of both programs. :). I know, not the best use of vocabulary.

Berk
October 31st, 2009, 02:28 AM
Well. Pidgin is the GUI.
Finch is the CLI
libpurple is the backend of both programs. :). I know, not the best use of vocabulary.

Technical speak goes in one ear and out the other for me. It's all I can do to remember the basics, cheers for clarifying things though.

Teber
October 31st, 2009, 03:00 AM
i'm happy with amsn

misfitpierce
October 31st, 2009, 03:12 AM
I can't wait for Digsby for Linux on a side note... Good for any protocol. It's a pretty nice client that friend uses on his windows computer. I have not had windows for years but when using Digsby on his windows machine I was pretty impressed and saw that linux client should be coming out soon according to site... Just can't wait for that!

murderslastcrow
October 31st, 2009, 03:20 AM
It sounds like the connectivity issues may be a very remote issue. The only problem I've ever had with emesene is the lack of video+audio in one call. To be honest, if your friends aren't able to use anything other than MSN (MSN is pretty slow as it is), then you may as well run Windows Live Messenger 8.5 in Linux with Wine. Here's a guide if you need it. http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/microsoft/msn-messenger-2008-and-2009-on-linux-with-wine.html

Usually I wouldn't suggest this, but that's honestly going to be the best solution to your issue for the time being. Again, I don't know anyone who's had any issues with Pidgin or purplelib in general. Performance will probably be better with MSN-specific messengers, however.