PDA

View Full Version : Yet another This is the worst version of Ubuntu thread

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Once the dust settles and people get down to use their system, and start finding out regressions here and there (Which is pretty normal for a spanking now release) we would be seeing all the "oh karmic sucks, jaunty was the best ever yada yada yada". Please if all you want is a rock solid system. chill out abit and wait for like a month when all the bugs has been reported and ironed out. If you decide to stay and use karmic. please remember we all play a part in making Ubuntu and karmic great hence If something doesn't work right for you like there did on jaunty. Try and file a bug or ask the support channel for any work around. Because its the productive and reasonable thing to do. You achieve more than ranting about an OS you paid $0 for. just MHO

adsinclair
October 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Well said!

JillSwift
October 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
You know what I found out?

I found out that everything sucks. There is no such thing as gravity (Sorry Newton and Einstein!) it's just that the more mass something has, the more it sucks.

This has been your Public Education Spot for the day.

:D

PhoHammer
October 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
well said!
+1

Странник
October 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
This should be a sticky

Giant Speck
October 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
This thread sucks. I think I'll wait until the next thread complaining about people complaining about the latest release of Ubuntu before I come up with a positive response.

Xbehave
October 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
If you choose to download on release day, you should know the risks. IMO ubuntu is released to early and release day users are high quality beta testers, but if you give it about month to stabilise everything is usually sorted out. Perhaps it's a problem with the release cycle but IMO it's much easier to install "9.11" and "10.05" than to complain on some forum (especially if you don't spend time tracking down bugs so they get fixed)

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
If you choose to download on release day, you should know the risks. IMO ubuntu is released to early and release day users are high quality beta testers, but if you give it about month to stabilise everything is usually sorted out. Perhaps it's a problem with the release cycle but IMO it's much easier to install "9.11" and "10.05" than to complain on some forum (especially if you don't spend time tracking down bugs so they get fixed)

Its not a problem with the release circle. Release day afford an opportunity of the release to be rigorously test on all types of hardware and put to all type of uses, hence any hidden bug is snuffed out to the open. The alpha-beta release were suppose to ensure this but most people using it aren't doing it to test for bugs. Most are using it because there want to test out the latest and greatest and give little feedback to the devs. Hence most bugs are left on detected. Jaunty started for me badly but has time went on every last one of the bugs i had with it was sorted out via official updates or community walk around.

lovinglinux
October 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Its not a problem with the release circle. Release day afford an opportunity of the release to be rigorously test on all types of hardware and put to all type of uses, hence any hidden bug is snuffed out to the open. The alpha-beta release were suppose to ensure this but most people using it aren't doing it to test for bugs. Most are using it because there want to test out the latest and greatest and give little feedback to the devs. Hence most bugs are left on detected. Jaunty started for me badly but has time went on every last one of the bugs i had with it was sorted out via official updates or community walk around.

Yes, most people just want to use the alpha-beta-rc, but I have reported several bugs during the Beta testing phase and most of them haven't been fixed. Just a few have a "Confirmed" status. I also have been reading several threads after the final release, reporting the same issues already extensively reported during the Beta testing phase.

Just for the record, I'm very satisfied with Karmic. It works better than Jaunty for me, despite some issues here and there. Nevertheless, I have the impression that a lot of stuff has been left to be fixed after the final release, if they will be fixed at all.

I'm not complaining, because I was fully aware of the potential problems of installing a Beta or even a recently released version of Ubuntu. The LTS versions exist for a reason and even Jaunty was rock solid after a few months since it's release. But I can understand the dissatisfaction of users that have waited for the final release expecting to improve their systems.

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Once the dust settles and people get down to use their system, and start finding out regressions here and there (Which is pretty normal for a spanking now release) we would be seeing all the "oh karmic sucks, jaunty was the best ever yada yada yada". Please if all you want is a rock solid system. chill out abit and wait for like a month when all the bugs has been reported and ironed out. If you decide to stay and use karmic. please remember we all play a part in making Ubuntu and karmic great hence If something doesn't work right for you like there did on jaunty. Try and file a bug or ask the support channel for any work around. Because its the productive and reasonable thing to do. You achieve more than ranting about an OS you paid $0 for. just MHO

That's why people that want rock-solid either have to wait a few weeks for everything to shake out, or stick with LTS releases.

I downloaded yesterday, but I'm not planning on upgrading immediately.

lukjad007
October 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I found out that everything sucks. There is no such thing as gravity (Sorry Newton and Einstein!) it's just that the more mass something has, the more it sucks.

By that logic, Ubuntu should be near perfect since information has no real mass.

jwbrase
October 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Actually, this is pretty close to what Einstein said in General Relativity. The more mass something has, the more it sucks space in towards itself so that an object "sitting still" moves towards it. A gross oversimplification, but it gives the general idea.

But but as long as Karmic "sucks" users away from Windoze, we can be happy.

Ditto.

bigbrovar
November 4th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Am feeling like a prophet already.

Dragonbite
November 4th, 2009, 07:37 AM
OK, I'm getting disillusioned by Karmic some. Problem is I don't know if it is the system or the hardware at this point.

jfloydb
November 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
By the logic of this thread, perhaps I should go back to using 8.04 LTS. All the bugs should be worked out by now. But I'm afraid if I did that, my wireless wouldn't work, and I wouldn't be able to add this comment...

amitabhishek
November 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM

With some changes it can be posted on Microsoft forums. Just change Ubuntu with Windows in subject line.

bigbrovar
November 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
With some changes it can be posted on Microsoft forums. Just change Ubuntu with Windows in subject line.

I think not, for one Windows does not have an open user feedback system like Ubuntu or in fact any other Linux distribution (looking at launchpad and bugzilla) User involvement in windows is next to zero Unlike Most Linux distribution which is mostly times driven by the community. My point is many of the bugs currently experienced in karmic would have been fixed if we had more beta tester who are ready and willing to give feed backs on bugs, and regressions. Hence we wont have to wait till a month after release for most of the hidden bugs to be weeded out and fixed. Unlike when you pay for your windows you also pay for support and developments bug fixing takes a top down approach The FOSS model is different and it is sustained by the community. We all have a role to play. You don't have to be a programmer to help make ubuntu better. If you notice a problem or regression then file a bug. If not Then stick with the last version which works for you. No one forces you to use Karmic (Unlike windows where its hard to buy a PC with XP installed. You can't even get a valid copy of XP from any retail shop ) If its ain't broken then don't fix it.

Stay with what works for you.

If you want to use the latest and the greatest then be ready for new bugs and regression and be willing to give feed backs on them

If the previous stable version of ubuntu (Hardy Intrepid Jaunty) Doesn't work for you? Then switch distro (Mandriva, Opensuse, Mother Debian, Fedora. etc)

If Linux doesn't work for you? Then by all means use what does. (windows, Mac, whatever.)

thedogisdead
November 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just a question about bug fixes (I've got a problem and I've read a few posts with others users describing the same problem ) - are they rolled out with the rest of the software updates through the default updater?

I think you're spot on, though... more pitch-in, less bitchin'.

Dragonbite
November 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
By the logic of this thread, perhaps I should go back to using 8.04 LTS. All the bugs should be worked out by now. But I'm afraid if I did that, my wireless wouldn't work, and I wouldn't be able to add this comment...

I have thought of that at times, but Jaunty worked with my Microsoft webcam better than 8.04 (which couldn't find it) but still could not do video capture in Cheese. Karmic is able to do video captures somewhat, though not perfect.

So this is one instance that if I want the webcam to work better I need to upgrade (or install Windows).

It's fun to test it out on a laptop not for "production" (everyday use) but otherwise I'll probably wait a while before putting it onto the family's main computer(s) if at all. I may also just wait for the next LTS and go LTS to LTS so I don't have to worry about this every 6 months. The thing that makes this possible is having a system I can update to my heart's desire when new version comes out.

fela
November 4th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Nah, karmic sucks. Jaunty's great though. I think they bit off more than they can chew with all the bootup stuff in karmic. It doesn't even boot up from a clean install on my bog standard desktop...I mean WTF. Also, the boot time is worse in karmic when it was supposed to be better (judging from a virtualbox install anyway).

The Funkbomb
November 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Bravo!

Instead of trying to make things better, people would just rather complain. The latter is easier.

xpod
November 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Nah, karmic sucks. Jaunty's great though. I think they bit off more than they can chew with all the bootup stuff in karmic. It doesn't even boot up from a clean install on my bog standard desktop...I mean WTF. Also, the boot time is worse in karmic when it was supposed to be better (judging from a virtualbox install anyway).

I can only comment on our own experiences but all of the machines/installations that we have upgraded so far have improved boot times, especially on my own bog standard Desktop(2.1Ghz Dual core with 2G RAM and 7 series Nvidia card).
It`s had a good few seconds shaved off the bootup time, again.I`m sure it now boots in about half the time it did when i first bought/built it and installed Ubuntu on it 2 years ago.

We just need faster Broadband...:p

It soon picked back up but still took about an hour and 20 minutes all in on my desktop, which seemed quite long compared to previous upgrades i`ve done.

sparvik
November 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I just wish I could get paid to listen to people complain about ubuntu like I do to listen to them complain about windows.

Ubuntu complaints intrigue me more.

Dragonbite
November 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I've noticed it takes longer to boot Karmic than Jaunty with a full-install.

Shutdown, on the other hand, is practically immediate. I haven't tried suspend/hibernate though it may "feel" faster since once it is done saving the state the machine shuts down practically immediately.

Sunflower1970
November 4th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Normally I do wait a few weeks to a few months before I attempt a new install. This time, however, I decided to go for it, since every time in the past my installs were pretty much flawless.

This is the one time I should have waited a week or two before I attempted an install. (lol) Most problems I've fixed so far, except for one nagging one on the laptop. It's not a showstopper, it's cosmetic, but highly annoying.

fela
November 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Ubuntu complaints intrigue me more.

That's because they actually have a solution. When you're dissatisfied with Windows you have to wait for Microsoft to fix it. With Ubuntu, provided you have a few coding skills and some time on your hands, as well as a fast compiling computer/drugs to speed up time, you can just as well fix it yourself.

ukripper
November 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM
It is time for half-yearly thing for some people to post threads like -"**** is the worst release ever". Can't get enough of that in testimonials over and over again.....

I completely agree with OP. Either help make the release better by reporting bugs or use what was working for you before.

fela
November 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
It is time for half-yearly thing for some people to post threads like -"**** is the worst release ever". Can't get enough of that in testimonials over and over again.....

I completely agree with OP. Either help make the release better by reporting bugs or use what was working for you before.

+1, I picked the second option. Kubuntu 9.04.

madtownidiot
November 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I've had no problems with it after 3 days