PDA

View Full Version : Is is legal to sell ubuntu like this?

andreasis
October 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The third result when searching google for 'aspire one ubuntu' (I was looking for help in installing ubuntu on an acer aspire one) is aspireoneubuntu.com

On this website, 9.04 is being sold on a usb stick. I just wanted to confirm the legality of this.

Cheers

RiceMonster
October 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
It's legal. The GPL permits reselling.

pi4r0n
October 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
andreasis

They don't charge your for Ubuntu system but for USB memory stick :) 19.95 is the price for it :)

Ta

pi4r0n

ve4cib
October 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
This is one of the biggest misconceptions about OSS software people have; they assume you're not allowed to profit from its sale. As has already been said, the GPL only states that the source code must be open and modifiable. It never makes any mention of distributing the software for a price or for free.

So in short, yes, they are allowed to sell Ubuntu.

marchwarden
October 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I agree with the above posters, it's legit.

3rdalbum
October 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Canonical sells Ubuntu CDs in its shop.

Most Linux distributors sell copies of their distros on CD/DVD for people who don't have the bandwidth to download them, or for people who want to support the distribution by buying a physical copy.

Xbehave
October 30th, 2009, 03:46 PM
aspireoneubuntu.com, will need to provide people purchasing it with the relevant sources (e.g source for anything that is GPL) upon request.

Tibuda
October 30th, 2009, 04:14 PM
aspireoneubuntu.com, will need to provide people purchasing it with the relevant sources (e.g source for anything that is GPL) upon request.

if it is ubuntu, the sources are one "apt-get source packagename" away.

PhoHammer
October 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
So in short, yes, they are allowed to sell Ubuntu.

The beauty of OSS under GPL!!

aysiu
October 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
It's legal. The GPL permits reselling.
More details here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Xbehave
October 30th, 2009, 04:40 PM
if it is ubuntu, the sources are one "apt-get source packagename" away.
I'm not fully sure about the GPL, but if i think if you pay aspireoneubuntu.com for the CD then they are responsible for giving you the source when you request it from them, if you the source for the usb they have to give it to you at the cost of the usb/cd/dvd's used to get it to you.

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
As often as people ask this, this thread needs to be made a sticky.

According to the GPL license, it is perfectly legal for anyone in the world to take any GPL'ed software in the world and sell it for any price they want, as long as they can find someone to buy it. They don't have to have anything to do with the creation or development of it, and they don't even have to put it on a CD/DVD or USB stick.

What are some reasons people would pay for FOSS software? Either they are ignorant that they can get it for free, or they are willing to pay for a binary when only the source is available free of charge.