PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Shell

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

ranch hand
February 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I'm sure the ricotz ppa is enough up to date, but would you entertain the idea of building from source?
I might be up to that . There is the fact that I have never done that before.

On the other hand these are testing partitions and destined to be wiped so there is little to loose.

It does not make much sense to do it now because the only install I am willing to totally risk is the ISO install and the testing for A3 is close. This will also give me a clean OS with the correct kernel.

I could, between now and then, maybe get an idea how to do this and do it and see what happens. Then do the xorg.edgers stuff back on and see what happens and if that doesn't work go back to the 2.6.33-999 kernel.

That is what I think I will have t odo anyway to have any hope of a working GS.

Another thing I need to do is check my bios for switches for the video card and see if the intel intigrated controller is even worse than the card I have for this kind of thing.

I am sure it would actually run on my wifes new laptop with an ATI card. It is actually supported.

Wasn't there a post, in this thread, that was kind of a "how to" on building from source?

k3lt01
February 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Wasn't there a post, in this thread, that was kind of a "how to" on building from source?Was there? I followed the instructions at gnome.org.

Merk42
February 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Wasn't there a post, in this thread, that was kind of a "how to" on building from source?

The giant, constantly updated, first post of this thread ;)

ranch hand
February 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM
The giant, constantly updated, first post of this thread ;)
Well, that explains why I can't find it. To well hidden. I will study on it and then play with it in a couple weeks with a clean install from the 23rd or if that is bad the 24th.

Then when all sort s of people are downloading the A3 I can avoid all that and destroy a perfectly good, innocent installation. Such cruelty.

I'm a brute.

McDuff
February 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Well, that explains why I can't find it. To well hidden. I will study on it and then play with it in a couple weeks with a clean install from the 23rd or if that is bad the 24th.

Then when all sort s of people are downloading the A3 I can avoid all that and destroy a perfectly good, innocent installation. Such cruelty.

I'm a brute.

you need not fear any loss. if you follow the instructions in the first post, gs will be installed in your home folder. if you don't want it to be there any longer, it seems to me, that you can just delete one folder and gs is no more. after reading the first post, i decided to be so brave and build gs on my production system. i just don't make gs start automatically, so there hasn't been any problem that would have borked the whole system so far, and i can't imagine there be any.

shafin
February 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Appearence of shell changed in the last update. The activities button no longer have a blue color int he overview mode, rather it has a raised look like application indicators.

February 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
It was only matter of time when i stop using GNOME. Now it seems it will be with release of GNOME 3 at the end of the year, when i switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu or openSUSE with KDE 4.5.x. You can mark me as troll if you wish, but GNOME Shell is horrible concept and imo big failure. But i wish good luck to devs anyway...

Tompalaz
February 13th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Is it mutter that will replace metacity?
If it is, is there a plan/roadmap when this will happen?

Excited what will happen with GS :popcorn:

Roasted
February 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It was only matter of time when i stop using GNOME. Now it seems it will be with release of GNOME 3 at the end of the year, when i switch from Ubuntu to Kubuntu or openSUSE with KDE 4.5.x. You can mark me as troll if you wish, but GNOME Shell is horrible concept and imo big failure. But i wish good luck to devs anyway...

Yeah.. Well... did you see the concept car for the new Toyota they're putting out in 2016? Man. It's stupid looking. When I go to the car dealership later, I will purposely avoid all Toyota's on the lot because of that ridiculous looking car that's coming out in six years. Gosh.

Bro... seriously... you're judging software that isn't even alpha yet. There are so few people who are actually using it. TONS of people I spoke to, even hardcore Gnome fans, often times don't even know about this yet.

Wait until it's beta when more people get their hands on it and use it. Only then will it begin to mold into an even better project than it already is.

Psumi
February 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Is it mutter that will replace metacity?
If it is, is there a plan/roadmap when this will happen?

Excited what will happen with GS :popcorn:

No.

Mutter = GTK2 Window Manager (Compositor)
Metacity = Decorator

This will be the case with GNOME Shell.

k3lt01
February 13th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Lol Roasted, I wouldn't be buying a Toyota atm anyway, they have dicky accelerators and the brakes don't stop you. Oh What A Feeling :popcorn:

In all seriousness though I agree with your sentiments, G-S is still really just a big testing concept albeit a big one.

JCoster
February 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Anyone else with this problem (totally up-to-date using radeon driver):

jcoster@jcoster-laptop:~$ gnome-shell --replace
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to start shell
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:89: Murrine configuration option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:89: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:90: Murrine configuration option "lightborder_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "lightborder_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:156: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:89: Murrine configuration option "gradients" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:89: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:90: Murrine configuration option "lightborder_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "lightborder_shade" instead.
/usr/share/themes/exotic/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:156: Murrine configuration option "highlight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gnome-shell", line 367, in <module>
shell = start_shell()
File "/usr/bin/gnome-shell", line 136, in start_shell
(server_glx_extensions, client_glx_extensions, glx_extensions) = _get_glx_extensions()
File "/usr/bin/gnome-shell", line 73, in _get_glx_extensions
server_glx_extensions = set(re.split("\s*,\s*", glxinfo_map['server glx extensions'].strip()))
KeyError: 'server glx extensions'

ranch hand
February 13th, 2010, 09:17 PM
OK, after todays xorg.edgers update we have improvement. I can print errors to desktop;

ike@iso-desktop:~$ gnome-shell --replace
do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Sat Feb 13 2010 13:09:48 GMT-0700 (MST)
JS LOG: Failed to acquire org.freedesktop.Notifications; trying again

(mutter:8067): Clutter-WARNING **: The required ID of 1381653 does not refer to an existing actor; this usually implies that the pick() of an actor is not correctly implemented or that there is an error in the glReadPixels() implementation of the GL driver.

(mutter:8067): Clutter-WARNING **: The required ID of 1381653 does not refer to an existing actor; this usually implies that the pick() of an actor is not correctly implemented or that there is an error in the glReadPixels() implementation of the GL driver.

Does this inspire anyone with some suggestions?

seeker5528
February 13th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Anyone else with this problem (totally up-to-date using radeon driver):

The radeon driver from the main repository works fine for me.

This makes it look like something is not right with your mesa/drm stuff.

glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Doing
dpkg -l *drm* *mesa* | grep ii

shows these being installed on my system

ii libdrm-intel1 2.4.17-0ubuntu2
ii libdrm-nouveau1 2.4.17-0ubuntu2
ii libdrm-radeon1 2.4.17-0ubuntu2
ii libdrm2 2.4.17-0ubuntu2
ii libgl1-mesa-dev 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii libgl1-mesa-dri 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii libgl1-mesa-glx 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii libglu1-mesa 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii libglu1-mesa-dev 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii mesa-common-dev 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii mesa-utils 7.7-0ubuntu8
ii xlibmesa-gl-dev 1:7.5+1ubuntu2
ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.12.99+git20100126.e5933fd7-0ubuntu1
ii xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd 1.3.0-2

glxinfo should report something similar to

seeker@ubuntu:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4

and xdriinfo something like:

seeker@ubuntu:~$ xdriinfo
Screen 0: r300

The libgl1-mesa-glx is the one that supplies libGL.so.1 so if all the above packages look like they are in installed on your system you might try reinstalling that one package or possibly all of them just to be sure:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx

Later, Seeker

JCoster
February 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
The libgl1-mesa-glx is the one that supplies libGL.so.1 so if all the above packages look like they are in installed on your system you might try reinstalling that one package or possibly all of them just to be sure:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx

Awesome, cheers! That solved it for me.

Thanks a lot
JC

moore.bryan
February 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Has anyone been able/figured-out how to change the clock formatting?

Roasted
February 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Does anybody have any instances where the notification system sticks? There are times it comes up and just stays up. Just curious if anybody else ran into this.

shafin
February 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Has anyone been able/figured-out how to change the clock formatting?

Edit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js
See lines 557 to 564

let isTime24h = displayDate.toLocaleFormat("x%p") == "x";
if (isTime24h) {
/* Translators: This is the time format used in 24-hour mode. */
this._clock.set_text(displayDate.toLocaleFormat(_("%a %R")));
} else {
/* Translators: This is a time format used for AM/PM. */
this._clock.set_text(displayDate.toLocaleFormat(_("%a %l:%M %p")));
}
This is where clock formatting is set.

Peter09
February 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi Ranch Hand,
I've been getting these Clutter - reference to no actor warnings on one of my machines for some time (forever when it comes to gnomeshell). The result is that I cannot gain focus on a window in gnome shell. Luckily CNTRL-C will abort gnome-shell as it is running in a terminal.

I have raised it as a query a couple of times but no one else seems to be having the problem. The machine I have this problem on has Intel Graphics and will run Compiz OK.

ranch hand
February 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ah, nice to have unique problems. Enough to get you puffed up.

I run an poorly supported ATI card (see sig) that will not run compiz. The 2.6.33-999 kernel is a big improvement with the xorg.edgers stuff on with it.

You may want to get "edgers" for your intel video. I get updates for it.

I have an integrated intel video controller and am tempted to see what it does with this stuff. I may one of these days.

Thanks for the info.

Jay_Bee
February 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Ranch Hand,
I've been getting these Clutter - reference to no actor warnings on one of my machines for some time (forever when it comes to gnomeshell). The result is that I cannot gain focus on a window in gnome shell. Luckily CNTRL-C will abort gnome-shell as it is running in a terminal.

I have raised it as a query a couple of times but no one else seems to be having the problem. The machine I have this problem on has Intel Graphics and will run Compiz OK.

I have the same problem, but most of the time mouse click still works, I just have to click a couple of times till it "gets it".
Also, try moving your mouse a little between each click. I don't know what's to blame for this behaviour.
I'm also running gnome-shell on Intel graphics.

tito_torrisi
February 15th, 2010, 10:57 PM
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-shell: Depends: libgjs0 but it is not going to be installed

I made a mistake today and did a partial update... (I removed gnome-shell)
Now I have a dependency problem which prevents me from reinstalling gnome-shell...

Anyone else? may this be fixed or should I do something myself?

OlyPerson
February 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Has anyone looked at the newest updates? I haven't gotten the updates through the PPA yet but they look good, including:

Switch to the corresponding app when the notification icon is clicked
[CSS] Update overview style to match latest mockup
[Overview] Make background color stylable
Make workspace indicators drop targets

Some pretty good changes I imagine. Mostly the notification one and making the overview stylable.

Merk42
February 16th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Redid the pictures in the first post. Had to remove one since I was over the limit when adding the two for the notifications.

k3lt01
February 16th, 2010, 02:57 AM
G-S has developed a problem on my desktop. The mouse arrow disappears if I go to anything on the panel at the top. I can get the activity corner to work but if I activate it the mouse arrow disappears entirely. Has anyone else had this?

OlyPerson
February 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
G-S has developed a problem on my desktop. The mouse arrow disappears if I go to anything on the panel at the top. I can get the activity corner to work but if I activate it the mouse arrow disappears entirely. Has anyone else had this?

Yeah I just restarted GS and it worked alright.

ranch hand
February 16th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Tonights update removed GS gjs libgjs and libgjs0. I have no idea why. I will reinstall tomorrow, or at least attempt to.

Just thought it may give someone a chuckle.

tito_torrisi
February 16th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Tonights update removed GS gjs libgjs and libgjs0. I have no idea why. I will reinstall tomorrow, or at least attempt to.

Just thought it may give someone a chuckle.

See my post, you can't install it by now!

cecilpierce
February 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
What to do ?
Wait or update ?
The upgrades are up to 147 now and still wants to take out GS.
I've upgraded one of two on my other PC to see what would happen and so far, Nada !
Guess I'll just keep one GS for memories !

tito_torrisi
February 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
What to do ?
Wait or update ?
The upgrades are up to 147 now and still wants to take out GS.
I've upgraded one of two on my other PC to see what would happen and so far, Nada !
Guess I'll just keep one GS for memories !

The ricotz testing ppa updated the necessary packages and now it's working again. Should be no problem to install/update!

moore.bryan
February 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Edit /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js
See lines 557 to 564

if (isTime24h) {
} else {
this._clock.set_text(displayDate.toLocaleFormat(_("%a %l:%M %p")));
}
This is where clock formatting is set.
I've done this before, but it didn't change. Now, it would seem my GnomeShell is borked because it won't start and complains:

Window manager warning: Log level 16: Could not load library [/home/bryan/gnome-shell/install/lib/mutter/plugins/libgnome-shell.so (libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)]
Window manager warning: Log level 8: failed to load plugins

Nevermind about the error; somehow, xulrunner was uninstalled. I reinstalled and everything's fine except for the time/date... still not right, even though I have the following in panel.js:

/* If there is no am or pm, time format is 24h */
if (isTime24h) {
} else {
this._clock.set_text(displayDate.toLocaleFormat(_("%A, %d %B %Y | %l:%M %p")));
}
Mainloop.timeout_add(msecRemaining, Lang.bind(this, this._updateClock));
return false;
},

EDIT:
I solved this by just installing from the PPA repo rather than building myself through git and making the changes above.

I have to say, I like GnomeShell so much better than I thought I would...

cecilpierce
February 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
The ricotz testing ppa updated the necessary packages and now it's working again. Should be no problem to install/update!

Thanks, that's a relief. What does this mean ?

JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Tue Feb 16 2010 09:56:49 GMT-0500 (EST)

keth
February 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying gnome shell out in Karmic with the ricotz repository and really liking it, but I'm really wanting to try out livecrumbs. You guys know of any way to do this short of removing it and compiling from source?

xtoudi
February 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hey all,

I'm trying gnome shell out in Karmic with the ricotz repository and really liking it, but I'm really wanting to try out livecrumbs. You guys know of any way to do this short of removing it and compiling from source?

How to compile? First post in this thread...

keth
February 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I probably wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could still try livecrumbs if you are using the ricotz repository. I'm trying to avoid compiling if possible.

shafin
February 17th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I probably wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could still try livecrumbs if you are using the ricotz repository. I'm trying to avoid compiling if possible.

Yes you can..the version from ppa and livecrumbs version will coexist. You can run one or another.

keth
February 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you much for the response. Excited to try it out.

keth
February 18th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Well, I'm trying to get livecrumbs working, but I'm running into the following:

checking for NBTK... configure: error: Package requirements (clutter-1.0 gtk+-2.0 libccss-1 >= 0.3.1 clutter-imcontext-0.1) were not met:

No package 'libccss-1' found
No package 'clutter-imcontext-0.1' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables NBTK_CFLAGS
and NBTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I'm not sure where to get these dependencies taken care of. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Starks
February 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Whenever there are considerable updates, I give Shell an hour or two to test.

Yet despite all of the recent improvements, is it wrong me for me to still be wholly pissed at the Shell workflow?

ranch hand
February 18th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Whenever there are considerable updates, I give Shell an hour or two to test.

Yet despite all of the recent improvements, is it wrong me for me to still be wholly pissed at the Shell workflow?
Yes, you are bad and should be ashamed of your self.

Come on, this is something totally different and new. Some folks are going to like it and some aren't.

I can't say as it will not run on my box. I do not like that at all.

I am a little leary of the whole thing but can't say until I try it.

If you do not like it, that is not your fault or anyone elses either. You just do not like it.

The devs are (hopefully) big boys and girls and will get over it.

OlyPerson
February 19th, 2010, 09:37 AM
The newest GS update broke my GS and now it can't run, this happen for anyone else? Not sure what's up with it...

xtoudi
February 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
The newest GS update broke my GS and now it can't run, this happen for anyone else? Not sure what's up with it...

Yes. Ricotz PPA or GIT - the same problem.

JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded")@:0
("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
@/home/tomek/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:11
'
JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded'
JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '0'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = 'gjs_throw'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = 'Error("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded")@:0
("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
@/home/tomek/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:11
Error("Chained exception")@:0
("Chained exception")@gjs_throw:0
@<main>:1
'
JS ERROR: !!! message = 'Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded'
Ostrzeżenie menedżera okien: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '2.28', but '2.29' is already loaded

OlyPerson
February 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Well I'm glad it's not me, hope it's fixed by the morning when I get up. God forbid I use gnome-panels now [-(

xtoudi
February 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Well I'm glad it's not me, hope it's fixed by the morning when I get up. God forbid I use gnome-panels now [-(

Here's already morning and problem still exists :-)

OlyPerson
February 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Here's already morning and problem still exists :-)

I don't believe in time zones. It's still nighttime.

techno-mole
February 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
the problem still exists, from what i can gather there is an issue building the latest version of gnome shell, the build on launchpad keeps failing.

i uninstalled gs and then installed the previous version (after i disabled the ppa from my sources lists) i shall wait until the build goes through before trying to update it again.

xtoudi
February 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe this is related to this ... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk5OA

techno-mole
February 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
just updated from the testing ppa on launchpad, installs and runs okay, still have to edit the panel.js file to get 24 hour clock format though, i really should post that as a suggested feature.

cheers

autocrosser
February 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
The newest version (from builds) wants meta gir-2.28 still & it's getting 2.29---so it fails......I'm waiting also.

techno-mole
February 19th, 2010, 04:03 PM
would that be the version of gs from here ?
https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing

if so it built on mine with no errors and runs well.

autocrosser
February 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
No--I build from source using the GS homepage info.....

Merk42
February 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
No--I build from source using the GS homepage info.....

I had a problem building from source using
jhbuild build so I used
jhbuild build -f -a -c and it worked

OlyPerson
February 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Alright the problem's fixed with the newest update this morning.

Tompalaz
February 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
How do i change a icon in gnome-shell and docky?
I use geany but the icon is truly awfull, i'd like to change it.

I've edit /usr/share/menu/geany
replaced a icon in /usr/share/pixmaps etc...

techno-mole
February 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
you can right click on the top right corner (where you user name is if your using gnome shell) from there click system preferences and look for "Main Menu", then look for the application you want to edit (eg - internet >> firefox) and then select it and on the right you should see some options, look for the one that says "Properties"

you should then see an icon on the left of the window, click it, you can select an image from there, or if you want to select another image click browse and go to the location of the image you want, then click open.
you should then be able to select the icon you want.

to get the icon to show up in gnome shell press "alt and f2" and type "restart" it should work, ive just changed the icon for firefox this way.

editing things like this is a small issue in gnome shell, for example to change the colour of the panel and the overview require editing a css file, which for those that know css isnt too much trouble, but for less experienced users the ability to change themes,colours etc easily will be a feature that (in my opinion) will be needed.

i have been looking at the various files that control the colours of the panel etc, i have also been looking at editing the various svg files that are used for the various indicators (for example the ripple effect that shows in the top left when you move the mouse to that corner)

i have wondered whether theme packs could be built with the various files needed to change the colours etc, and also containing the various svg icons that are used in different colours and such like, of course they might need an easier way to install them, although moving the folder that contains the theme to the right place isnt too hard.

Tompalaz
February 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Thank you, that actually worked!
I tried using 'edit menu' using gnome-panels, didn't work though, but this is the same thing, but still not, right? :P

techno-mole
February 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM
from what i know gnome shell is a new window manager, like metacity compiz etc, only it doesnt use compositing (so you dont need compiz running to get it to work, in fact running gnome shell kills compiz)

to be honest i dont know that much about it, but from what ive seen (im using it as well) it is a good idea (in my opinion) some people have said its a bad idea, but i dont think it is.

you should probably have a look here - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

as for the menu thing, im not sure how it works, but i assume that when gnome shell is running when editing menus the way i posted, i assume gnome shell interfaces with alacarte (which is the gnome menu editor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alacarte)

you can also run alacarte in a terminal and it will also bring up the menu editor, i had a small issue with alacarte when i first installed karmic, it would only let me edit menus if i was root (eg - sudo alacarte in a terminal) but thats fixed now.

OlyPerson
February 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM
from what i know gnome shell is a new window manager, like metacity compiz etc, only it doesnt use compositing (so you dont need compiz running to get it to work, in fact running gnome shell kills compiz)

GS does use compositing which is the main complaint against it.

HalfEmptyHero
February 20th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm getting a bunch of screen flickers sometimes when I activate the overlay or click on the calendar. It doesn't effect the usability, however it is pretty annoying. I am using the latest version from the rictoz ppa. Is anyone else experiencing similar things?

techno-mole
February 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
my bad.

funny that people would be against it, most seem to run compiz, so not sure why gs would be a problem.

although it may cause problems for older/less powerful systems, maybe it should be disabled in new releases ? so that users can choose, it might require some kind of documentation or something so that people are aware of it, what it is and how to turn it on (should they wish too ?)

Merk42
February 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
my bad.

funny that people would be against it, most seem to run compiz, so not sure why gs would be a problem.

although it may cause problems for older/less powerful systems, maybe it should be disabled in new releases ? so that users can choose, it might require some kind of documentation or something so that people are aware of it, what it is and how to turn it on (should they wish too ?)
Because unlike compiz, the compositing is required. Yes there are some people with hardware that currently makes GNOME Shell impossible to run.

I'm getting a bunch of screen flickers sometimes when I activate the overlay or click on the calendar. It doesn't effect the usability, however it is pretty annoying. I am using the latest version from the rictoz ppa. Is anyone else experiencing similar things?
I'm getting it too and I build from source.

ranch hand
February 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
my bad.

I have a fairly new box (see sig) that will not run compiz. This is fine with me as I can't stand it anyway, just silly crap.

I am a little upset that it will not run GS either. I may not like it. I may love it. I do not have the chance to see because it will not run.

I do have a 10.04 install that was running the 2.6.33-999 kernel (dropped it) and is still running with the xorg.edgers stuff. Compiz will work to some extent on it but GS is still a no go.

Maybe compositing is needed for a desktop. I seriously doubt it unless you want silly eye candy with no purpose but to entertain.

It could be that they have developed a great thing in GS. I would say that there are a lot of boxes out there that will not run it and that is just not right.

techno-mole
February 21st, 2010, 12:19 AM
curious that your system wont run compiz, it seems powerful enough to run it, i dont know anything about ati graphics cards, but it sounds like it would be fine, again curious.

my system specs are -

athalon x2 6000+ dual core running at 3.1ghz (stock speed, not over clocked)
4gb ddr2 ram (@800mhz, again not over clocked)
nvidia 9500gt pci express (512mb ddr3 ram)
2 sata hard drives, 1 x 500gb for ubuntu and 1 x 250gb for xp (i dual boot)
and i have a cmedia sound card, it does the job.

i have run compiz on much less, one of the systems in the house uses a single core athalon 2.1ghz cpu, 2gb of ram and an old nvidia fx5200 agp card, that runs compiz pretty well.

although this higlights the problem of uses a window manager etc by default, not all systems will run it well, some not at all, which is why there should be an option for using it or not.

for example when i first install karmic effects are of (until i install the restricted drivers)

so what if that by default all effects are off, so basic gnome panels etc, this way most systems should run ubuntu/gnome (unless i missed something ?)

then under the effects tab (under appearances) there could be a few options,
1 - no effects, basic panels etc

2 - gnome shell, when selected the system could then install anything needed, or enable whats needed to run gs etc etc
and finally

3 - run compiz, perhaps this should then have a low,medium and high options for the extent of the effects (basic effects or full whistles and bells etc)

each respective option would need some descriptions, maybe mention that each option will require better hardware, and such like.

i like gnome shell, but i dont think that it should be enabled by default, the same goes for compiz etc, it may well send people away, look at vista, wasnt it meant to be the dogs b's ? a lot of people realized that it is a dog of an os, no operating system in my book should use that much of a systems resources to simply run it, let alone do anything constructive with it, just my 2 pence

Roasted
February 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have a fairly new box (see sig) that will not run compiz. This is fine with me as I can't stand it anyway, just silly crap.

I am a little upset that it will not run GS either. I may not like it. I may love it. I do not have the chance to see because it will not run.

I do have a 10.04 install that was running the 2.6.33-999 kernel (dropped it) and is still running with the xorg.edgers stuff. Compiz will work to some extent on it but GS is still a no go.

Maybe compositing is needed for a desktop. I seriously doubt it unless you want silly eye candy with no purpose but to entertain.

It could be that they have developed a great thing in GS. I would say that there are a lot of boxes out there that will not run it and that is just not right.

Gnome Shell won't run on that quad core rig in your sig?

o.O

Are you serious????

curious that your system wont run compiz, it seems powerful enough to run it, i dont know anything about ati graphics cards, but it sounds like it would be fine, again curious.

That rig is PLENTY, PLENTY powerful enough to run compiz. I run compiz on integrated intel graphics on older systems with 512 ram and it smiles at me. I don't know much about ATI though as you mentioned. I've always avoided ATI, despite the fact it sounds like ATI has caught up quite a bit in the last year or two.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'm one of the people here who happens to LOVE! Gnome-shell!
Combined with docky it really works well :) And that for an Alpha (it's alpha right?). Have any of you guys gotten to customizing yet? As far as I've seen there is allot that can be customized :P

k3lt01
February 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
I'm getting a bunch of screen flickers sometimes when I activate the overlay or click on the calendar. It doesn't effect the usability, however it is pretty annoying. I am using the latest version from the rictoz ppa. Is anyone else experiencing similar things?I've noticed this for about a week now on my desktop, it seems to occur when there is high RAM usage. The mouse can be anywhere on the screen and it will still happen. It doesn't affect what I am doing because I set my machine to work and leave it only to check on it every half hour or so.

feuloren
February 21st, 2010, 12:59 AM
The required compositing is a real problem ! I have a one year old laptop I managed to get proprietary drivers working on. But I really don´t know how a newbie could install such things !
I´m really sad when I feel that gnome-shell will fail because of bad technical choices and because of these stupid graphic cards manufacturer.

Roasted
February 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM
The required compositing is a real problem ! I have a one year old laptop I managed to get proprietary drivers working on. But I really don´t know how a newbie could install such things !
I´m really sad when I feel that gnome-shell will fail because of bad technical choices and because of these stupid graphic cards manufacturer.

Hey, bro... Gnome panels aren't going anywhere right away. Gnome Shell (as far as it seems right now) appears to just be an available option - not a requirement to run Gnome itself.

ranch hand
February 21st, 2010, 02:32 AM
Gnome Shell won't run on that quad core rig in your sig?

o.O

Are you serious????

That rig is PLENTY, PLENTY powerful enough to run compiz. I run compiz on integrated intel graphics on older systems with 512 ram and it smiles at me. I don't know much about ATI though as you mentioned. I've always avoided ATI, despite the fact it sounds like ATI has caught up quite a bit in the last year or two.
Well I guess it depends on your definition of "run". If you mean that it should lock the system up so tight the only way to get out is by unplugging the box, then it runs. That is with the generic driver.

With the binary from the repos it will respond to Alt+SysRq+b. Improvement.

With the driver downloaded from ATI for this card (new - wasn't one 7 months ago) I can Ctrl+Alt+F2 and reboot from there. Big improvement.

With xorg.edgers stuff going 10.04 with the standard kernel will run compiz somewhat with the settings set for "extra". I say somewhat because it does not look like the screen shots I have seen from other folks. My windows do not wobble after quite a fight to get the setting to stick bot that wonderful feature does work as it should, if you are into that kind of irritation.

The cube business is where things do not, I think, work "right". I may well be wrong but it seems from screen shots that the cube is to be visible on the desktop in front of the wallpaper if you have no app up and running. If that is correct then mine is not right. There is just the normal wallpaper that irritates the **** out of me by Spinning to another workspace.

I do not know if I am supposed to be able to, in the Workspace Switcher, be able to click and drag an app to a different workspace or not under compiz. I can't. Whether this is right or not that really bugs me.

Mblackwell
February 21st, 2010, 03:08 AM
Did you disable Desktop Effects under Appearance before starting gnome-shell?

Edit: Also, did you try installing via Envyng? May or may not help, but you may as well try everything.

ranch hand
February 21st, 2010, 03:19 AM
I have attempted to start GS on all three settings with no difference in results.

Things are improving to the point that I can get this amount of function in compiz with the standard kernel with the edgers stuff going.

That particular install will be reinstalled for A3 ISO testing next week. I will try it all again then with no compiz stuff ever enabled (I sure will not miss it). If the ppa GS doesn't work I will try compiling. If that doesn't work I will go back to the 2.6.33-999 kernel.

At this point I suspect none of this will do any good at all but there is only one way to find out.

Roasted
February 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Have you ran GS on a Nvidia or Intel machine? I'm wondering if it's ATI/ATI Drivers that are being a bear in your case.

ranch hand
February 21st, 2010, 05:54 AM
The only box I have is this one. I am tempted to install 10.04 on the wife s laptop but that would not be cool. It too, runs an ATI card but a better supported one.

Have not tried compiz on it as she likes it less than I do (hard to do).

I may install on an external and install the Sys76 drivers and try with hers though.

I have been sure that is the problem all along. The xorg.edgers stuff runs the best so there may be hope for this box before the bugger is actually released.

I want to try it now. Whine whine.

techno-mole
February 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
I'm one of the people here who happens to LOVE! Gnome-shell!
Combined with docky it really works well :) And that for an Alpha (it's alpha right?). Have any of you guys gotten to customizing yet? As far as I've seen there is allot that can be customized :P

ive looked at docky, but i prefer cairo dock or awn, at the moment i cant run awn as im running gnome shell, but cairo dock works well, i also like it because i can detach applets from the dock and use them as desktop widgets, i like to keep an eye on the weather so i use various weather widgets (im a gardener, well least thats what i keep telling myself) although i can look out of my window and see that today the weather is c@#p with a capital C.

looking forward to posting some ideas on the gs mailing lists, gs is growing on me.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
ive looked at docky, but i prefer cairo dock or awn, at the moment i cant run awn as im running gnome shell, but cairo dock works well, i also like it because i can detach applets from the dock and use them as desktop widgets, i like to keep an eye on the weather so i use various weather widgets (im a gardener, well least thats what i keep telling myself) although i can look out of my window and see that today the weather is c@#p with a capital C.

looking forward to posting some ideas on the gs mailing lists, gs is growing on me.
Mmm, how weird... AWN works here..
But I prefer Docky over anw because docky has the 'wave like' motion when moving your mouse... awn doesn't :P I've tryed Cairo a while back, no go. That and atm docky is the only one that works vertically afaik :)

I've subscribed to the mailing list, how does that whole work?

techno-mole
February 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM
you can run cairo dock top,bottom,left,right what ever you feel like, it works well vertically and there are themes for it that look a lot like the docky themes.

maybe ill give awn ago, to be honest i havent tried it with gnome shell, but i guess it should work, although again i like cairo dock because of being able to detach applets and run them as widgets.

the gnoem shell mailing lists are easy enoug i guess, you can email suggestions and such like to them, i guess its kind of a way to combine people ideas, this way the developers can see what people think about it, and where things can be improved etc, features people may want and such like.

i think themes for gnome shell will be an issue at some point, generally speaking people like to customize things a lot, and unless you know css and js its not that easy for people who arent that experienced in this kind of thing.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
I had to remove gnome-shell, I really loved it but it got my GPU up to 97 degrees Celcius, idle. To bad...

Hope the next build works better...

techno-mole
February 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
what are your system specs ? i really cant see how gnome shell would make your cpu get to nearly 100% while idling, it would suggest to me that there might be something else going on.

when was the last time you cleaned out the inside of your pc case ?

heres why im wondering why your having issues, if i open a terminal and type "top" here are the top 4 entries
1 - cpu - 1% process xorg
2 - cpu - 2% process firefox
3 - on idle mutter doesnt even show up, if i use a feature of gnome shell i get cpu - 10% process mutter and xorgs cpu requirements increase to 5%
4 - cpu -4% process cairo dock

both my cores are at 32 degrees, i only have the stock heatsink that came with the cpu on it, nothing special cooling wise, although the system is due for a clean.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM
what are your system specs ? i really cant see how gnome shell would make your cpu get to nearly 100% while idling, it would suggest to me that there might be something else going on.

heres why im wondering why your having issues, if i open a terminal and type "top" here are the top 4 entries
3 - on idle mutter doesnt even show up, if i use a feature of gnome shell i get cpu - 10% process mutter and xorgs cpu requirements increase to 5%

both my cores are at 32 degrees, i only have the stock heatsink that came with the cpu on it, nothing special cooling wise, although the system is due for a clean.
I've got a samsung r510 laptop. With dualcore 2,26 ghz and a Geforce 9200M GS. The problem isn't the CPU load it's the overal temperature of the laptop.

With gnome-shell on my videocard (GPU) is 97 degrees Celsius, and the other termometers indicated around 80-90 degrees celsius. I don't think it's all due too gnome-shell because when I turn gnome-shell off it still indicates 83 degrees. For as far as I know that is still too hot.

It's hard to find any information/solution regarding this problem :(

go7Ul1ai
February 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
GNOME Shell has improved massively from when I last tested it (from when it was first built for testing). Although I'm still not fond of having to zoom out to switch application..

NCLI
February 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
GNOME Shell has improved massively from when I last tested it (from when it was first built for testing). Although I'm still not fond of having to zoom out to switch application..

You'll get used to it, just don't use a dock ;)

Psumi
February 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM

htop is more accurate to be honest. Top often shows incorrect RAM usage.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've got a samsung r510 laptop. With dualcore 2,26 ghz and a Geforce 9200M GS. The problem isn't the CPU load it's the overal temperature of the laptop.

With gnome-shell on my videocard (GPU) is 97 degrees Celsius, and the other termometers indicated around 80-90 degrees celsius. I don't think it's all due too gnome-shell because when I turn gnome-shell off it still indicates 83 degrees. For as far as I know that is still too hot.

It's hard to find any information/solution regarding this problem :(
To add the top information:

#1 Xorg 30-45% While typing it suddenly dropped to 10% after being at 30-40 for quite a while, weird...
#2 firefox 12% (that's 2 windows and about a dozen tabs)
#3 Transmission 6%
#4 Rhytmbox 5%

Xorg seems like a bit to much cpu usage...

techno-mole
February 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
ive had a look at the cooling system for that particular laptop, at least the cpu cooler anyway.

i would still give it a good clean, if you know how to take it apart that is, although the various coolers should be easy enough to get to, just a case of removing a cover or 2.

if you cant get into the cooling fans get yourself a can of air (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25351) and give the vents a quick blast of that, all the vents you can find.

the other thing that normally causes laptops to over heat is having them on your lap, or on a bed etc, or any place where air cant circulate around the under side, ideally the laptop should be used on a flat, even surface so air can get underneath it,
or you could get something like this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221694 or this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221693

i cant think of any other reason why it would be over heating, is the graphics card a shared (eg - uses some of the system ram) or not ? maybe giving the system more ram ?

maybe its just one of those things, which again highlights why things like compiz,gnome shell etc shouldnt be enabled by default as they could cause issues for people.

icyzer
February 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
ive had a look at the cooling system for that particular laptop, at least the cpu cooler anyway.

i would still give it a good clean, if you know how to take it apart that is, although the various coolers should be easy enough to get to, just a case of removing a cover or 2.

if you cant get into the cooling fans get yourself a can of air (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25351) and give the vents a quick blast of that, all the vents you can find.

the other thing that normally causes laptops to over heat is having them on your lap, or on a bed etc, or any place where air cant circulate around the under side, ideally the laptop should be used on a flat, even surface so air can get underneath it,
or you could get something like this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221694 or this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221693

i cant think of any other reason why it would be over heating, is the graphics card a shared (eg - uses some of the system ram) or not ? maybe giving the system more ram ?

maybe its just one of those things, which again highlights why things like compiz,gnome shell etc shouldnt be enabled by default as they could cause issues for people.
First of all, thanks allot for the effort you put in to it :)
Maybe a clean isn't that bad an idea. I think I'll go for the can of air, I don't want to loose my warranty :P

The laptop itself is placed on a flat surface (wooden desk) so the airflow is quite good. The weird thing is I've never noticed it getting this hot on windows. That's been a few weeks though. I just hope it's not a hardware failure :)

moore.bryan
February 21st, 2010, 11:18 PM
GS does use compositing which is the main complaint against it.

Why is this a complaint? The main reason why I chose GnomeShell over Compiz was its inherent compositing.

moore.bryan
February 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Can anyone help me solve a strange issue: my desktop wallpaper seems to have a thin, white line around it. Any ideas?

Interesting note: when I take a screenshot, it doesn't show.

Merk42
February 21st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Why is this a complaint? The main reason why I chose GnomeShell over Compiz was its inherent compositing.

Because it requires it, and therefore some people can not run it at all.

OlyPerson
February 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM

Basically what Merk said: there is no choice and many people's computers simply cannot use compositing. I believe that's why it won't work with virtual machines either, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the reason.

On another note, it's really interesting following all the small changes, almost every day there is something new.

Roasted
February 22nd, 2010, 01:47 AM

And this is still a feature they -need- to integrate. I feel as though Gnome Shell is not that user friendly at all without the use of a dock.

But that's okay, fortunately there's Docky and AWN that both do fantastic jobs at filling in the relatively large gaping hole Gnome Shell leaves open.

Here's to hoping they integrate some sort of window switcher... something that has been said no less than 400 times in this thread/mailing lists/Gnome Shell IRC/etc. :) :) :) :)

k3lt01
February 22nd, 2010, 02:46 AM
@ Roasted. What gets me with G-S and its setup is the fact that, imho, it should be easy to intergrate some type of Gnome 2.x style panel functionality. The top panel in G-S, again imho, really needs to be able to do more than it already does.

Roasted
February 22nd, 2010, 03:07 AM
@ Roasted. What gets me with G-S and its setup is the fact that, imho, it should be easy to intergrate some type of Gnome 2.x style panel functionality. The top panel in G-S, again imho, really needs to be able to do more than it already does.

I agree. I've said it a thousand times before... they NEED some sort of window or application switcher. If not, users will flock to Docky to handle what GS fails to acknowledge that it needs to do.

But hey, there's quite a while to go till it lands... Things could change yet.

JCoster
February 22nd, 2010, 03:31 AM
Is anyone else getting this error whilst trying to drag a window to a different workspace? (radeon driver):

(mutter:3660): Clutter-WARNING **: The required ID of 12107719
does not refer to an existing actor; this usually implies that the
pick() of an actor is not correctly implemented or that there is an
error in the glReadPixels() implementation of the GL driver.

Optln
February 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I agree. I've said it a thousand times before... they NEED some sort of window or application switcher. If not, users will flock to Docky to handle what GS fails to acknowledge that it needs to do.

But hey, there's quite a while to go till it lands... Things could change yet.

It's probably had been suggested before(there's 110 pages after all:) ) but I'll say it again anyway. They could make an auto-hideable, small taskbar to the right or bottom of the screen. So top-left will open the current menus, bottom-right will open the taskbar. And they can get rid of the top bar, it's very useless and a waste of space currently.

moore.bryan
February 22nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Because it requires it, and therefore some people can not run it at all.
I always viewed it as "providing" compositing, rather than "requiring" it; however, point taken.

Basically what Merk said: there is no choice and many people's computers simply cannot use compositing. I believe that's why it won't work with virtual machines either, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the reason.

"[M]any people's computers?" Really? Do you know of any computer manufactured in the last five years that doesn't? I'd be interested to see that... my ancient iMac "FlowerPot" G4 runs compositing...

And this is still a feature they -need- to integrate. I feel as though Gnome Shell is not that user friendly at all without the use of a dock.
Interesting take, Roasted. One of the reasons why I stopped using Gnome-Do's Docky was because GnomeShell's "pull-out" made it redundant.

NCLI
February 22nd, 2010, 01:35 PM

But that's okay, fortunately there's Docky and AWN that both do fantastic jobs at filling in the relatively large gaping hole Gnome Shell leaves open.

Here's to hoping they integrate some sort of window switcher... something that has been said no less than 400 times in this thread/mailing lists/Gnome Shell IRC/etc. :) :) :) :)

Try forcing yourself to use it without a dock for a few days, I'm zipping around with pure GS now, with no issues whatsoever.

It's probably had been suggested before(there's 110 pages after all:) ) but I'll say it again anyway. They could make an auto-hideable, small taskbar to the right or bottom of the screen. So top-left will open the current menus, bottom-right will open the taskbar. And they can get rid of the top bar, it's very useless and a waste of space currently.
Then what about the notification area? That's what currently pops up when touching the lower-right corner. I say do without and discover for yourself that it is unnecessary.

Roasted
February 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Try forcing yourself to use it without a dock for a few days, I'm zipping around with pure GS now, with no issues whatsoever.

I have. In fact, I eventually thought maybe I was just being kind of a stubborn ******* in regard to it when a few users here began saying the same thing to me, so I forced myself to use Gnome Shell exclusively for 30 days without the use of a dock. I made it about 3 weeks before I seriously wanted to punch every toddler nearby.

It's not that I don't think Gnome Shell is user friendly, but I feel as though the entire experience is hindered extensively by the lack of some sort of window or application switcher. I consider myself a power user. I multitask. A lot. So for me to continually have to hot corner to the upper left is a total PITA when maybe I'm sick of zooming in/out all of the time. Why can't I just snap over with the mouse and single click to my application?

I feel as though the overview is very, very solid. It's a great way to manage open windows. But when I use it as my soul means of switching through active applications, it tends to make me sick after 10 or 15 minutes.

And yes, I've tried to adapt to alt-tab. Didn't fly. I really just think they need an option, some sort of feature we can enable in the preferences to allow the many users (it's about a 10 to 3 ratio from users who want it vs users who don't want it, from what I've seen) to fill in the gap we'd like to see filled.

But fortunately the notification system is no longer activated by hitting the bottom of the screen, and only activated by hot cornering to the right, therefore making my auto-hide Docky2 compliment Gnome Shell VERY nicely, in my opinion.

Wouldn't use GS without it. Ever. So at least if GS lands without an integrated solution, I'll be quite happy to fire up Docky2. I just feel as though it makes GS feel very incomplete to have this feeling of installing a dock to make it feel complete. It kind of chips out a -1 to GS in my book. But it's not over yet - many months to go. Much faith is still had. We'll see. :)

Roasted
February 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Interesting take, Roasted. One of the reasons why I stopped using Gnome-Do's Docky was because GnomeShell's "pull-out" made it redundant.

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. When you say Gnome Shell's pull-out, do you mean how it zooms out to the overview?

I said in my last post that while I think the overview is awesome, to continually zoom in/out just to simply switch an application multiplied by how many times a minute multiplied by how many times an hour, etc etc, it didn't fly well with me. I preferred to use the overview as a way to manage active applications and a way to manage workspaces - not as a way to navigate through open windows. It just didn't feel... right.

And once I tried the PPA of Docky2, I found it was quite a bit better than the Docky that was integrated in Gnome-Do, so I was sold. :)

I'm not saying Gnome Shell must be changed to cater to me. I'm just one of quite a large quantity of people who believe the same thing. Just integrate a feature to allow us to activate a docky-like feature. It would make more sense, in my mind. I just don't see how having to use Docky or AWN or anything else with Gnome Shell is the "answer" to completing its user experience. I just think -something- needs to be integrated.

It's kind of like buying a new computer. You buy it and you're like, pfft, look at all of this stupid bloatware. Let me uninstall this, and this, and this, and this, to get my computer use-able without all of this garbage starting up. In my mind, to fire up Gnome Shell and think, ahh wait, I gotta get a dock so it has a more sensible way of switching through active applications......... I don't see the logic in that. It'd be one thing if it was me vs the world, but I've seen the majority of users voice the same opinion I have. I'm just a little more headstrong about voicing it.

Merk42
February 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
"[M]any people's computers?" Really? Do you know of any computer manufactured in the last five years that doesn't? I'd be interested to see that... my ancient iMac "FlowerPot" G4 runs compositing...

Ranch Hand, paging Mr. Ranch Hand... come to the GNOME Shell thread...

techno-mole
February 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
i have just noticed that if i mouse over the bottom left of the screen a shaded bar the length of the screen shows up, what is it ? would it be the gnome shell notification area ? and if so what exactly is it meant to notify you of ? mines blank, nothing in it, but then that may well be because things havent been implemented as yet.

Merk42
February 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
i have just noticed that if i mouse over the bottom left of the screen a shaded bar the length of the screen shows up, what is it ? would it be the gnome shell notification area ? and if so what exactly is it meant to notify you of ? mines blank, nothing in it, but then that may well be because things havent been implemented as yet.

You don't have the most recent build.
In the most recent build it only shows up if you mouse over the bottom right. It is the notification area, check out the screens in the first post of this thread.

techno-mole
February 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
did i say left ? i meant right, but it doesnt show anything, i dont get a little blue circle with a question mark in it.

i have attached some screen shots after building from source, one with it active and one without, you can easily see the difference.
i know its still in testing, but i thought it might do something, but it doesnt appear to on my system anyway.

Merk42
February 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
did i say left ? i meant right, but it doesnt show anything, i dont get a little blue circle with a question mark in it.

i have attached some screen shots after building from source, one with it active and one without, you can easily see the difference.
i know its still in testing, but i thought it might do something, but it doesnt appear to on my system anyway.

The blue i appears when something activates the message tray.
Have someone message you and see it show up (tried Pidgin, I'm assuming works in Empathy)

techno-mole
February 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
that explains it then, i dont use instant messaging, least not for the last 6 years or so.
can either pidgin or empathy be configured to receive twitter messages ? thats about the only social network type thing i use, not on facebook and dont use msn, although i do have a yahoo email which i think i can use for yahoo messenger.

does it notify of anything else ?

least im not puzzled anymore, when i first saw it i was scratching my head wondering what the hell i had done this time :-)

cheers

Merk42
February 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
does it notify of anything else ?

least im not puzzled anymore, when i first saw it i was scratching my head wondering what the hell i had done this time :-)

cheers

Not sure about currently, but if this mockup (http://people.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/mockups/20090630-demo/) is anything to go by it will work for music, mail, and I'm not sure of those other icons

seeker5528
February 22nd, 2010, 11:27 PM

I'm a bit skeptical that the number of people that can't use compositing is actually all that high.

Requiring people to have working OpenGL support in their hardware/driver combo for compositing to work is another story. The number of people with unacceptable OpenGL performance is significantly higher than the number of people with unacceptable Xrender performance.

Of course what is or isn't acceptable performance is a bit subjective and I don't know what the Xrender support is like when running in a VM.

Later, Seeker

penguinv
February 23rd, 2010, 02:37 AM
I have already said goodbye GNOME because of that and because I don't like the design and the workflow of GNOME Shell. Anyway, I'm running KDE since Karmic Beta and I'm loving it. ;)

I'd like to know what is better about KDE. Perhaps I would like it.

PS: there's all these undefined terms for advanced folks in the first post. I intend to look them up one at a time. I expect there are others in my shoes. (Maybe that's why they are so tight?)

"Peas and good jams to you"

OlyPerson
February 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
So I looked at the git page and it looks like the version was bumped to 2.29.0. Looks like it's reached alpha stage? And also there seems to now be a manual for it.

ndefontenay
February 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

this just came today on the mailing list. Lots lots lots of improvements.

GNOME Shell 2.29.0 is now available at:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-shell/2.29

7429cd9689e1a2e302b1c23e06c576ee6b0542a7f1c72c4c0e fce3d83842aa58 gnome-shell-2.29.0.tar.bz2
bc1dd6426c59e4a93d2768c408d5b34181aa722d5e83ea4c81 1c1eb19261e3f5 gnome-shell-2.29.0.tar.gz

Note on Clutter requirement: Due to problems encountered in testing
GNOME Shell against Clutter 1.1, gnome-shell-2.29.0 still requires
Clutter 1.0. We expect to have the problems in Clutter and gnome-shell
resolved before the release of gnome-shell-2.29.1, and switch over
to requiring Clutter 1.1 for that.

About GNOME Shell
=================

GNOME Shell provides core user interface functions for the GNOME 3
desktop, like switching to windows and launching applications.
GNOME Shell takes advantage of the capabilities of modern graphics
hardware and introduces innovative user interface concepts to
provide a visually attractive and easy to use experience.

This is still a VERY EARLY version of GNOME Shell and should not be
taken of indicative of the final user interface or performance.

We are providing tarball releases at this point largely to allow
distributions to start building packaging for GNOME Shell. If you are
interested in building GNOME Shell from source, we would recommend
building from version control using the build script described at:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell

Not only will that give you the very latest version of this rapidly
changing project, it will be much easier than get GNOME Shell and
its dependencies to build from tarballs.

Changes since 2.28.0
====================

* New message tray showing notifications sliding into the bottom of the screen.
Includes a status area for past notifications, and also pulls in "urgent
window" handled in GNOME 2 by flashing the taskbar.
[Dan, Marina, Florian M, Adel, Jon N]
* Add the ability to set your presence to the user status menu [Dan]
* Allow switching the overview between a grid and linear view of workspaces [Maxim]
* Redo the application browser to use a grid of icons [Maxim]
* Initial version of the extension system [Colin, Siegfried]
* Initial support for RTL layout in ST and the shell [Abderrahim]
* Add undo capability to overview, e.g., when removing favorites [Maxim]
* New workspace switcher popup [Adel, Mads]

* Work on visual appearance to match mockups [Adel, Colin, Florian M]
* Port most of existing code to CSS [Colin]
* Other visual improvements
- Show a scaled-up excerpt from the application item in the panel [Colin]
- Minimize windows to 'Activities' button [Adel]
- Fade out desktop icons when showing overview =Florian M]
- Use a fixed ordering for well-known icons in the system tray [Colin]
- Nicer animation of hidden windows when transitioning to/from the overview [Leon]
- Draw a ripple when the hot corner is hit [Owen - collaboratively hacked in a MIT IAP session]

* App switcher (Alt-Tab) improvements
- Many behavior and visual refinements based on design feedback [Dan]
- Show a separator between windows on this and other workspaces [Steve]
- Position on the currently focused monitor [Adel]
- Bug fixes [Steve]

* Miscellaneous behavioral improvements
- Allow workspace switching by mousewheel on indicators in overview ]Adel]
- Allow dropping on workspace indicators [Adel]
- Enable DND of search results [Florian M]
- When closing a window from the overview that puts up a confirm dialog,
switch to that dialog [Florian M]
- When the sidebar is collapsed, auto-hide it [Florian S]
- Show "No matching results" when search matches nothing [Colin]
- Limit user to 16 workspaces [Dan]
- Allow clicking on any part of section headers in the dash for browsing [Florian M]
- Match on executable names as well when searching [Florian M]
- For clock AM/PM vs. 24-hour based on the locale ['res']

* ST (Shell Toolkit) improvements
- CSS addtions:
. width/height [Steve]
. max-width/max-height [Dan]
. -st-shadow [Florian M]
. gradients [Colin, Florian M]
. radial gradients [Florian M]
. Non-uniform border widths (when no corner radius) [Colin]
. text-decoration: [underline|strikethrough] [Colin]
- Make allocation behavior consistent across actors [Dan]
- Support fixed-position children in StBoxLayout [Colin]
- Support raising and lowering children in StBoxLayout [Colin]
- Add st_box_layout_move_child and st_box_layout_insert_actor [Marina]
- Add st_box_layout_remove_all, st_box_layout_destroy_children, st_box_layout_get_n_children [Colin]
- Add StClickable, StOverflowBox actors [Colin]
- Support setting scrollbar policy on StScrollView [Colin]
- Support shadows on edges of StScrollView to hint at more content [Maxim]

* Make places results available in search [JP]
* Handle changes to the current resolution [Maxim, Florian M]
* Bug fixes for multihead support [Florian S, Siegfried]
* Make screen shell recorder work again [Owen, Jon N]

* More miscellaneous improvements
- Add gnome-shell --eval-file=<file> to eval file in running shell via D-BUS [Colin]
- Add eject buttons to places section [Florian M]
- Add completion to the Alt-F2 run dialog [Maxim]
- Make screen recording parameters configurable [Adel]
- Add an initial version of a manpage [Marcelo]

* Performance improvements [Colin, Florian M]
* Code cleanups [Adel, Colin, Dan, Marina, Owen]
* Bug fixes [Adel, Carlos, Colin, Dan, Florian M, Gustavo, Jon M, JP, Maxim,
Nickolas, Owen, Siegfried, Steve]
* Build fixes [Andre, Colin, Dan, Javier, Marina, Maxim, Owen, Richard]

Code Contributors:
Maxim Ermilov, Steve Frécinaux, Adel Gadllah, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals,
Leon Handreke, Richard Hughes, Abderrahim Kitouni, Andre Klapper, Javier Jardón,
Nickolas Lloyd, William Jon McCann, Florian Müllner, Carlos Martín Nieto, Jon Nettleton,
JP St. Pierre, Gustavo Noronha Silva, Owen Taylor, Marcelo Jorge Vieira,
Mads Villadsen, Colin Walters, Dan Winship, Marina Zhurakhinskaya, 'res'

Design:
William Jon McCann, Jeremy Perry (and others)

Translations:
Khaled Hosny (ar), Ivaylo Valkov (bg), Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (ca),
Petr Kovar (cz), Mario Blättermann (de), Kris Thomsen (dk), Jorge González (es),
Timo Jyrinki (fi), Claude Paroz (fr), Antón Méixome (gl), Jennie Petoumenou (gr),
Liel Fridman (he), Gabor Kelemen (hu), Milo Casagrande (it), Kjartan Maraas (nb),
A S Alam (pa), Amanda Magalhăes (pt_BR), Lucian Grijincu (ro),
Sergey V. Kovylov, Andrey Korzinev, Marina Zhurakhinskaya (ru), Miloš Popović (sb),
Daniel Nylander (se), Matej Urbančič (sl), Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (vi), 'jiero' (zh_CN)

Bugs fixed:

571109 Handle minimized windows better when switching to/from overlay
582229 Warnings everytime app monitor saves active apps
582655 associate windows per application in workspace view
582763 Maximising windows can make them very blocky as they "grow"
584526 Doesn't handle resolution changes
585473 BigRectangle: Use pre-multiplied colors
587069 Move the selection to the first search result on search and perform queued searches when the user hits Enter
588056 Add xterm and x11-apps as dependency in Debian and Ubuntu
590686 Can alt-Tab out of grab
591854 Removing all favorites makes it impossible to add new ones
591866 Implement new search design
591912 background doesn't show when nautilus isn't drawing the desktop
592024 dash: Make recent docs display two columns
593844 Alternative overview design idea
594556 Workspace indicator should darken for app-well menu
594671 improve new workspace button
595321 memory leaks (ongoing)
596264 2.28 tracker
596984 [docDisplay] Fix minimum height request, handle 0 allocation better
597044 More flexible interface for adding widgets to Chrome
597119 try to prevent accidental double trigger of overview
597271 Playing Full screen flash videos result into npviewer showing up in the app wheel
597577 Applications Menu not showing anything
597677 Completion in alt+F2
597679 No overview of all desktops and can't close
597721 Fix overview to show on the correct monitor
597791 [AppSwitcher] Fix hiding the arrow on application change.
597882 Time ago strings don't get translated
597900 refinements for alt+tab
597919 [lg] Scroll to bottom when pushing a result
597944 [alt-tab] Separate windows in thumbnail list
598034 app well click should prefer current workspace
598111 typing too quickly results in the wrong application being launched
598227 Create ShellApp, rebase things on it
598313 use a stable ordering for core OS tray icons
598319 Improve transition to zoomed app
598324 refinements for the window selector
598389 Frequent wrong application ordering in alt-tab
598390 Screencasting doesn't work.
598462 [StBoxLayout] Support fixed-position children
598502 crash while doing stuff
598646 Split ShellAppMonitor into ShellWindowTracker, ShellAppUsage
598651 [AppSwitcher] Reimplement the separator using St.Bin
598691 [ShellGConf] Annotate list setters
598786 search not working with umlauts
598983 application menu does not have application name text
599125 Add Places to Search Panel. Eventually support files like "/home/" in the search panel.
599141 icon disappears from app menu
599206 [ShellWindowTracker] Don't skip "uninteresting" windows for focus
599412 [AppIcon] Keep glow up to date directly
599442 Port dash section headers to CSS
599560 [GenericDisplay] Only do redisplay when mapped
599561 Store GjsContext pointer in ShellGlobal
599661 in-progress work on extensionSystem
599926 multihead fullscreen hides activities panel
600672 Search Results is never showed after no results
600734 More Apps redesign and dependent infrastructure
600890 [genericDisplay] When setting a search, do a redisplay immediately
600982 Mouse lost behind the interface...on top of screen and in Activities screen
600999 fade out desktop icons if necessary when showing overview
601287 should not require support for URIs from apps when openning files from the recent files list
601290 Warning from titleless window
601413 [dash] Move BackLink to CSS
601458 Add presence items to status menu and port to JS
601854 [overview] Integer align workspace and pane positioning
601875 Sidebar not working anymore
602131 Port AppWell to CSS
602370 [PATCH] - clear text when closing run dialogue
602456 Syncronous fsync() in idle_save_application_usage()
602532 Overview should switch to confirm dialogs when closing
602598 WindowOverlay positions don't get updated when adding/removing workspaces in the overview
602772 Close button disappears when zooming in overview
602774 Selecting window not possible if only shown windows of one application
602802 Home Folder from shell-uri-util.c does not get translated
602976 Right click on places
603078 wrong sizing of 'all workspace' windows in overview
603327 Under Debian Testing, after a perfect build of the source, the shell don't start
603522 Add ShellDocSystem
603523 Add search.js, rebase search system on top
603546 Add a message tray with icons for ongoing conversations
603691 Add drop shadows to close buttons in overview
604005 places shortcuts should be searchable
604118 Autohide sidebar
604177 position sidebar on primary screen
604945 Implement radial gradients in CSS / St.Widget.
604963 Fix application thumbnail sizing when the height is greater than the width of a window.
605035 Free the family string in st_theme_node_get_font()
605249 Manpage for GNOME Shell
605491 Misc style/UI changes
605724 No rule to make target `Pango-1.0.gir`
605877 crash after excessive opening and closing the overview mode
606209 Search does not allow the user to correct typos
606257 updated look for running app indicator
606331 drop messaging.js, use notification-daemon protocol for IM stuff
606418 ALT+F2 doesnt'work in PATH is misconfigured
606460 need to decide the max number of workspaces allowed
606743 [search] Match on executable names as well
606755 handle long notifications better
606918 notifications from xchat throw error
606921 show summary mode briefly after notification
606922 duplicate entries for the home directory if desktop is home dir
607244 Don't show the empty messagetray
607351 Drag point wrong for application icons
607803 [WorkspaceView] Allow workspace switching using mousewheel + indicators
607824 Inconsistent mousewheel direction on workspace overview indicators
607825 [StButton] Hold ref to button until animation completes
607826 Window previews change positions when the number of workspaces changes
607872 Minor improvements to the new workspaces views
607882 docSystem related crash
608058 message tray isn't resolution aware
608062 [AppIcon] Leave overview when launching apps
608095 [ShellGlobal] Add shell_global_gc
608119 [StShadowTexture] Fix invalid unref of CoglHandle
608502 crashes caught on tape
608715 StWidget: Don't redraw gradient when size doesn't change
608746 Remove C99 use of non-constant initializers
608801 recent items list grid is weird and takes up space
608802 Setting "type" after construct fails with new glib
608847 st_widget_recompute_style triggers reallocation on map
608848 [ShellGenericContainer] Simplify tracking of skip-paint children
608914 Solid backgrounds may not be drawn
608915 Ellipsization problems in message tray
608933 InfoBar in overview.
608995 [recorder] Make parameters configureable
609053 [recorder] Use GL_MESA_pack_invert if available
609079 Consume windows by the Activities button on minimize
609135 Draw a ripple when the hot corner is hit
609187 Fancier workspace switcher popup
609206 windows titles not updated in overview window picker when they change
609243 Problems activating a zoomed window or cancelling overview
609257 [altTab] Position on the currently focused monitor
609339 Initialize global->root_pixmap to the stage color
609357 new button pressed look
609401 Change overview style to match latest mockup
609453 Fix up notification layout for subclassing
609454 Style for <delegate>.destroy() methods
609507 Alt+F2 does not work
609521 [main.js] Fix up "window-added/removed" callbacks
609522 [recorder] Fix recording when pipeline is not set
609604 [StScrollView] Implement bottom/top shadows.
609613 Switch to the corresponding app when the notification icon is clicked
609673 Improve scrolling behaviour in linear view
609765 Show message tray in the overview, and other message tray changes
609777 fallback icons cause items in alt-tab to be the wrong size
609811 Missed files in install rules.
609838 POTFILES.in: add missing files that have translatable strings
609848 Make allocation handling more consistent
609871 Add the workspaces view key to the gconf schema
609913 [Overview] Make indicators drop targets
610027 Search results should display running apps, switch to them when selected
610039 [main.js] Don't handle panel-run-dialog twice
610049 workspaceswitcher popup should have same proportions as actual screen
610070 alignment of window captions in window selector
610203 Tiled backgrounds are not displayed properly in the overview
610324 Assert in _shell_app_system_register_app
610417 failed build with mutter 2.29
610520 Summary shows/hides after the overview transition
610549 notification-daemon / message tray should handle "\n" in the body text specially
610594 Add demands attention support to the messagetray

Nico

icyzer
February 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
I'm wondering. Has anyone found out how to edit the files as such to make the panel transparent? That would be awesome, I could set up conky to show the hardware info. Any ideas?
I tryed some stuff myself but I'm not knowledged in the field of programming :)

xtoudi
February 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
I'm wondering. Has anyone found out how to edit the files as such to make the panel transparent? That would be awesome, I could set up conky to show the hardware info. Any ideas?
I tryed some stuff myself but I'm not knowledged in the field of programming :)

file:
~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/data/theme/gnome-shell.css (if GIT version, I don't know where is this file located in case of PPA)

#panel {
color: #ffffff;
font-size: 16px;
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.98);
}

it gives nice vertical gradient top panel.

and ... just search is what you need ;-) (this thread)

mohitchawla
February 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I just upgraded to the 2.29 version using the Ricotz testing PPA. There are a few problems I noticed right away.

First, there were no applications listed in the Applications menu(the main menu, not the space for favorites/currently opened apps). It was empty. Restarted gdm, restarted system, no go. Then I just launched a .htm file to be able to use Mozilla, a text file, a media file and from then on, applications are listed in the menu. So, that's sorted.

Second is, the window transitions are NOT smooth at all. Jittery & slow. They were fine in the previous version.
I am not sure if this has got something to do with the Ricotz PPA build.
Hope to find the solution for this.

cariboo907
February 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Is any one else seeing this. I was replying to a thread and the system seemed to lock up, I switched to a console and back again, which seemed to clear the lockup. The screens look OK when in full screen mode, it's just when I zoom out, that I see this weird corruption.

I'm using the ricotz ppa. Hardware is AMD X2 3800+ with 2Gb ram and a Nvidia GT210 using 195.36 drivers.

mohitchawla
February 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
Is it the latest build 2.29 ?

OlyPerson
February 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
Oh cool, the newest build broke the system again. I would think that being transitioned to 2.29.0 would at least herald somewhat more stability.

icyzer
February 23rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Is any one else seeing this. I was replying to a thread and the system seemed to lock up, I switched to a console and back again, which seemed to clear the lockup. The screens look OK when in full screen mode, it's just when I zoom out, that I see this weird corruption.

I'm using the ricotz ppa. Hardware is AMD X2 3800+ with 2Gb ram and a Nvidia GT210 using 195.36 drivers.
Oh I had sort of the same with the repo version. For me Alt+f2 and the 'r' fixed it all.

techno-mole
February 23rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
#panel {
}

it gives nice vertical gradient top panel.

ive been messing around with the css and the svg images, i just tried the css code you gave, my panel was mostly black ?

mine looks like this -

#panel {
background-gradient-start: #6E6E6E;
background-gradient-end: #151515;
border-bottom: 1px solid #1C1C1C;
}

this gives a grey panel, moving from a lightish shade to a darkish shade (vertically)

i have tried adding various things to see what happens, i did try some css transparency, but it didnt work.
im thinking that transparency might be more to do with the compositing than the css.

the icons used in gnome shell can easily be changed using inkscape, colours,shapes etc you can get some interesting results, just make sure you keep the original names of svg files.

im thinking of making some theme packs that can be used with gnome shell, im not sure where the devs are going with theming, but this might lead to some interesting themes being created.

Arlanthir
February 23rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
ive been messing around with the css and the svg images, i just tried the css code you gave, my panel was mostly black ?

mine looks like this -

#panel {
background-gradient-start: #6E6E6E;
background-gradient-end: #151515;
border-bottom: 1px solid #1C1C1C;
}

this gives a grey panel, moving from a lightish shade to a darkish shade (vertically)

i have tried adding various things to see what happens, i did try some css transparency, but it didnt work.
im thinking that transparency might be more to do with the compositing than the css.

the icons used in gnome shell can easily be changed using inkscape, colours,shapes etc you can get some interesting results, just make sure you keep the original names of svg files.

im thinking of making some theme packs that can be used with gnome shell, im not sure where the devs are going with theming, but this might lead to some interesting themes being created.

Did you try the suggested
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.98); in particular?
I think that is the important part and it seems you omitted it :P

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Well, another wreck.

Reinstalled my ISO-testing 10.04 install.

Reinstalled the ppa version of GS. Was able to save terminal output to desktop. Ctrl+Alt+F2 got me out to reboot;

ike@ike-desktop:~$ gnome-shell --replace
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Tue Feb 23 2010 15:48:48 GMT-0700 (MST)

This was with the xorg.edgers stuff installed on the standard kernel.

I am bummed.

I said I would try compiling. I would say that means I have to do that.

That means I need to get rid of the GS I have installed. Is this a "remove" or a "purge" operation?

I am doing this in chroot. I wasted enough time over there today. Just not fooling around on there any more than I need to.

At least I did not fire up compiz and completely get pissed off. Glad that is gone from that OS, it just gets on my thungus.

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Did you try the suggested
background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.98); in particular?
I think that is the important part and it seems you omitted it :P

no the one i posted is the one im using, i did try the code you posted, but all i got was a near totally black panel.

you wouldnt happen to know what css versions gnome shell supports ? i was thinking about some css 3 code snippets that might be fun to try.

i will run the code you posted again and post screenshots.

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
here is a screenshot, it is very subtle, which is why i missed it the first time.

its not quite right though (in my opinion) for me it makes some of the tray icons look like they are not quite inline with the rest of the panel, for my own preference i prefer the icons to have an equal amount of panel top and bottom, so they look in line (where possible)

and although it is transparent, its not quite the same as you can do with the gnome panels, or other methods, maybe its something they are working on ?

again gnome shell has only just gone alpha (i think) so im not expecting much, just trying stuff out.

one thing though is that some times if i right click tray icons they are partly covered by the panel, so im thinking auto hiding might be a feature thats needed, it is for me as i like to not have panels,docks showing, unless i need them.

moore.bryan
February 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Is anyone else noticing the system tray on Gnome-Shell's panel keeps bumping to the left, with gnome-power-manager closing and reopening every half-minute or so?

It seems to be a gnome-power-manager issue; when I killed it, everything went back to normal.

xtoudi
February 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
here is a screenshot, it is very subtle, which is why i missed it the first time.

its not quite right though (in my opinion) for me it makes some of the tray icons look like they are not quite inline with the rest of the panel, for my own preference i prefer the icons to have an equal amount of panel top and bottom, so they look in line (where possible)

and although it is transparent, its not quite the same as you can do with the gnome panels, or other methods, maybe its something they are working on ?

again gnome shell has only just gone alpha (i think) so im not expecting much, just trying stuff out.

one thing though is that some times if i right click tray icons they are partly covered by the panel, so im thinking auto hiding might be a feature thats needed, it is for me as i like to not have panels,docks showing, unless i need them.

This is RGBA - the last value (0.98 ) is the alpha channel value - try with this - you can do anything you want. Additional you can delete lines with "gradient" - then you have solid panel or .... solid transparent .... or full transparent.

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
which part of the css deals with the top part of the overview mode ? (the search bar ?) I have played around with various aspects of the css, but couldnt find that particular part.

i did look in some other sections but again couldnt find the exact part that shows which image to display (the little magnifying glass) and what colours are what, the reason being is i changed the way the overview looked, but couldnt get the search bar the same colours, which really annoyed me, is it the css that deals with the search part ? if it is where does it reference the image to display ?

OlyPerson
February 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
which part of the css deals with the top part of the overview mode ? (the search bar ?) I have played around with various aspects of the css, but couldnt find that particular part.

i did look in some other sections but again couldnt find the exact part that shows which image to display (the little magnifying glass) and what colours are what, the reason being is i changed the way the overview looked, but couldnt get the search bar the same colours, which really annoyed me, is it the css that deals with the search part ? if it is where does it reference the image to display ?

The name of the image is "close-black.svg" for the x and "magnifier.svg" so just search for that in the css and see if it's in there. If it's not, it may be dealt with by the javascript scripts.

Edit: didn't see it in there or in search.js.

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
ive found it in dash, just trying to find the corresponding css, although it may not be there, as it seems the js deals with that section, at least i know its called "dash" (assuming thats short for dash board)

the problem ive had is that i can change the colouring of the overview,panel, the application menu, and search results, but ive found that some colour schemes obscure the word " find " in the search bar, so i need to find the css/js that changes that particular bit,

then i can work on creating a new theme/s, eg - change all colours of panel,overview,search results etc as well as editing the various image files so that they match/compliment the other colours

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
i still havent managed to change the text colour in the search bar, but ive added a background colour property to the css, which means i can blend the colouring so that it goes with the rest of the colours,but you can still see the text, but this will in turn mean that for lighter themes i might have to change the colour of the magnifying glass icon, which is pretty easy.

Starks
February 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Am I the only one who has to do sudo jhbuild build?

puccaso
February 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
JS G REPO: Initialized class GIRepository prototype 0xa11fbc0
JS G NS: Initialized class GIRepositoryNamespace prototype 0xa11fc20
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'GLib' 0xa11fc40 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'gi'
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Clutter' 0xa11fc60 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/dbus.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa11fc80 'dbus' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/lang.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa1731e0 'lang' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: JS import 'langNative' not found in /usr/share/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/lib/gjs-1.0/langNative.so'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa1732a0 'langNative' is mod 1
JS NATIVE: Registered native JS module 'langNative'
JS NATIVE: Defining native module 'langNative'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'langNative'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'lang'
JS IMPORT: JS import 'dbusNative' not found in /usr/share/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/lib/gjs-1.0/dbusNative.so'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa1732e0 'dbusNative' is mod 1
JS NATIVE: Registered native JS module 'dbusNative'
JS NATIVE: Defining native module 'dbusNative'
JS DBUS: Initialized class DBusExports prototype 0xa173340
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'dbusNative'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'dbus'
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Gdk' 0xa173760 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Gio' 0xa173780 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: JS import 'mainloop' not found in /usr/share/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/lib/gjs-1.0/mainloop.so'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa1737a0 'mainloop' is mod 1
JS NATIVE: Registered native JS module 'mainloop'
JS NATIVE: Defining native module 'mainloop'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'mainloop'
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Meta' 0xa1737c0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Shell' 0xa1737e0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/signals.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa173800 'signals' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'signals'
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'St' 0xa1738e0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/chrome.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa173900 'chrome' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: JS import 'misc' not found in /usr/share/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: JS import 'misc' not found in /usr/lib/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: Adding directory '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/misc' to child importer 'misc'
JS IMPORT: Importing directory 'misc'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa173a00 'misc' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Defined importer 'misc' 0xa173a00 in 0xa11f820
JS IMPORT: successfully imported directory 'misc'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/misc/params.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa173a00 of 0xa173a80 'params' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'params'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'chrome'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa173ce0 'environment' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/gettext.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa173d00 'gettext' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: JS import 'gettextNative' not found in /usr/share/gjs-1.0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/lib/gjs-1.0/gettextNative.so'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa173d20 'gettextNative' is mod 1
JS NATIVE: Registered native JS module 'gettextNative'
JS NATIVE: Defining native module 'gettextNative'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'gettextNative'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'gettext'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/tweener.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa173e00 'tweener' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Adding directory '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/tweener' to child importer 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: Adding directory '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/tweener' to child importer 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: Importing directory 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f820 of 0xa173e60 'tweener' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Defined importer 'tweener' 0xa173e60 in 0xa11f820
JS IMPORT: successfully imported directory 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/tweener/tweener.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa173e60 of 0xa173ee0 'tweener' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gjs-1.0/tweener/tweenList.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa173e60 of 0xa16b220 'tweenList' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'tweenList'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'tweener'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/misc/format.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa173a00 of 0xa16b500 'format' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'format'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'BoxLayout' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Widget' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Actor' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'GObject' 0xa16b540 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'InitiallyUnowned' in namespace 'GObject'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Object' in namespace 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Object 0x9d0b288
JS G OBJ: Defined class Object prototype 0xa16b560 class 0x9d0b288 in object 0xa16b540
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class InitiallyUnowned 0x9d0b2d8
JS G OBJ: Defined class InitiallyUnowned prototype 0xa16b580 class 0x9d0b2d8 in object 0xa16b540
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Actor 0x9d0b328
JS G OBJ: Defined class Actor prototype 0xa16b5a0 class 0x9d0b328 in object 0xa11fc60
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Widget 0x9d0b378
JS G OBJ: Defined class Widget prototype 0xa16b5c0 class 0x9d0b378 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G FUNC: Initialized class GIRepositoryFunction prototype 0xa16b5e0
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class BoxLayout 0x9d0b410
JS G OBJ: Defined class BoxLayout prototype 0xa16b640 class 0x9d0b410 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Table' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Table 0x9d0b460
JS G OBJ: Defined class Table prototype 0xa16b6c0 class 0x9d0b460 in object 0xa1738e0
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'environment'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa16b740 'extensionSystem' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'extensionSystem'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/messageTray.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa16b920 'messageTray' is mod 1
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Pango' 0xa16baa0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'messageTray'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa18b1a0 'overview' is mod 1
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Big' 0xa18b1c0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Gtk' 0xa18b1e0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/appDisplay.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa18b280 'appDisplay' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/appFavorites.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa18b5a0 'appFavorites' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'appFavorites'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dnd.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa18b840 'dnd' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'dnd'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/genericDisplay.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa18bb00 'genericDisplay' is mod 1
JS G NS: Found info type STRUCT for 'Color' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Color 0x9d0b4b0
JS G BXD: Defined class Color prototype is 0xa18be00 class 0x9d0b4b0 in object 0xa11fc60
JS G BXD: Defining method from_pixel in prototype for Clutter.Color
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'genericDisplay'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/search.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1db5e0 'search' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'search'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/workspace.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1dba00 'workspace' is mod 1
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'GdkPixbuf' 0xa1dbf20 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/lightbox.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1dbf40 'lightbox' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'lightbox'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa219160 'panel' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/calendar.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa2193a0 'calendar' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'calendar'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/statusMenu.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa219580 'statusMenu' is mod 1
JS G NS: Defined namespace 'Gdm' 0xa2195c0 in GIRepository 0xa11fbe0
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'statusMenu'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'panel'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'workspace'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'appDisplay'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/docDisplay.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1e68c0 'docDisplay' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/misc/docInfo.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa173a00 of 0xa1e6b00 'docInfo' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'docInfo'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'docDisplay'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dash.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1c4360 'dash' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/placeDisplay.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1c4640 'placeDisplay' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'placeDisplay'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'dash'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/workspacesView.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1bc8c0 'workspacesView' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'workspacesView'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'overview'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/runDialog.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa204960 'runDialog' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'runDialog'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/lookingGlass.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa204da0 'lookingGlass' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/link.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa1850a0 'link' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'link'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'lookingGlass'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/notificationDaemon.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa185680 'notificationDaemon' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'notificationDaemon'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/windowAttentionHandler.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa208720 'windowAttentionHandler' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'windowAttentionHandler'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/shellDBus.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa208920 'shellDBus' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'shellDBus'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/sidebar.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa208b00 'sidebar' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/widget.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa208c00 'widget' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'widget'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/widgetBox.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa182140 'widgetBox' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'widgetBox'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'sidebar'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/windowManager.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa182780 'windowManager' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/altTab.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa182820 'altTab' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'altTab'
JS IMPORT: Importing '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/workspaceSwitcherPopup.js'
JS IMPORT: Defining parent 0xa11f8a0 of 0xa255220 'workspaceSwitcherPopup' is mod 1
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'workspaceSwitcherPopup'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'windowManager'
JS IMPORT: successfully imported module 'main'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Global' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Global' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Global 0x9d0b500
JS G OBJ: Defined class Global prototype 0xa2556e0 class 0x9d0b500 in object 0xa1737e0
JS KP ALV: Initializing keep-alive class in context 0xa130400 global 0xa11f480
JS KP ALV: Initialized class __private_GjsKeepAlive prototype 0xa255740
JS KP ALV: Creating new keep-alive object for context 0xa130400 global 0xa11f480
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'DesktopAppInfo' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'DesktopAppInfo' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class DesktopAppInfo 0x9d0b550
JS G OBJ: Defined class DesktopAppInfo prototype 0xa255780 class 0x9d0b550 in object 0xa173780
JS G OBJ: Defining method grab_dbus_service in prototype for ShellGlobal (Shell.Global)
JS DBUS: trying to connect to message bus
JS DBUS: Successfully connected
JS DBUS: Flushing bus
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'getenv' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Timeline' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Timeline' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Timeline 0x9d0b5a0
JS G OBJ: Defined class Timeline prototype 0xa255860 class 0x9d0b5a0 in object 0xa11fc60
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'WindowTracker' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'WindowTracker' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class WindowTracker 0x9d0b5f0
JS G OBJ: Defined class WindowTracker prototype 0xa2558a0 class 0x9d0b5f0 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'AppUsage' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'AppUsage' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class AppUsage 0x9d0b640
JS G OBJ: Defined class AppUsage prototype 0xa255a40 class 0x9d0b640 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Stage' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Stage' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Group' in namespace 'Clutter'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Group 0x9d0b690
JS G OBJ: Defined class Group prototype 0xa255aa0 class 0x9d0b690 in object 0xa11fc60
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Stage 0x9d0b6e0
JS G OBJ: Defined class Stage prototype 0xa255ae0 class 0x9d0b6e0 in object 0xa11fc60
JS G OBJ: Found method get_children in interface 0 implemented by object
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_children in prototype for ClutterGroup (Clutter.Group)
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'ThemeContext' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'ThemeContext' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class ThemeContext 0x9d0b730
JS G OBJ: Defined class ThemeContext prototype 0xa255ba0 class 0x9d0b730 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Theme' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Theme' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Theme 0x9d0b780
JS G OBJ: Defined class Theme prototype 0xa255c20 class 0x9d0b780 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G OBJ: Defining method set_theme in prototype for StThemeContext (St.ThemeContext)
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'WM' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'WM' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class WM 0xa21d018
JS G OBJ: Defined class WM prototype 0xa255da0 class 0xa21d018 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G OBJ: Defining method takeover_keybinding in prototype for ShellWM (Shell.WM)
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'GConf' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'GConf' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GConf 0xa21d068
JS G OBJ: Defined class GConf prototype 0xa255e20 class 0xa21d068 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G OBJ: Defining method watch_directory in prototype for ShellGConf (Shell.GConf)
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_boolean in prototype for ShellGConf (Shell.GConf)
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'file_new_for_path' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'get_home_dir' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GLocalFile' so trying parent type 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GLocalFile 0xa21d0b8
JS G OBJ: Defined class GLocalFile prototype 0xa255f00 class 0xa21d0b8 in object 0xa16b540
JS G OBJ: Found method get_uri in native interface GFile
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_uri in prototype for GLocalFile (GObject.Object)
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'util_get_label_for_uri' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'util_get_icon_for_uri' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'ThemedIcon' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'ThemedIcon' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class ThemedIcon 0xa21d108
JS G OBJ: Defined class ThemedIcon prototype 0xa147040 class 0xa21d108 in object 0xa173780
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'get_user_special_dir' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type ENUM for 'UserDirectory' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type ENUM for 'UserDirectory' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_DESKTOP (fixed from directory_desktop) 0
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_DOCUMENTS (fixed from directory_documents) 1
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_DOWNLOAD (fixed from directory_download) 2
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_MUSIC (fixed from directory_music) 3
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_PICTURES (fixed from directory_pictures) 4
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_PUBLIC_SHARE (fixed from directory_public_share) 5
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_TEMPLATES (fixed from directory_templates) 6
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value DIRECTORY_VIDEOS (fixed from directory_videos) 7
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value N_DIRECTORIES (fixed from n_directories) 8
JS G ENUM: Defining GLib.UserDirectory as 0xa147100
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'AppSystem' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'AppSystem' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class AppSystem 0xa21d158
JS G OBJ: Defined class AppSystem prototype 0xa147280 class 0xa21d158 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G OBJ: Defining method load_from_desktop_file in prototype for ShellAppSystem (Shell.AppSystem)
JS G NS: Found info type STRUCT for 'AppInfo' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G NS: Found info type STRUCT for 'AppInfo' in namespace 'Shell'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class AppInfo 0xa21d1a8
JS G BXD: Defined class AppInfo prototype is 0xa147300 class 0xa21d1a8 in object 0xa1737e0
JS G BXD: Defining method get_name in prototype for Shell.AppInfo
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'VolumeMonitor' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'VolumeMonitor' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class VolumeMonitor 0xa21d1f8
JS G OBJ: Defined class VolumeMonitor prototype 0xa147480 class 0xa21d1f8 in object 0xa173780
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GUnionVolumeMonitor' so trying parent type 'GVolumeMonitor'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GUnionVolumeMonitor 0xa21d248
JS G OBJ: Defined class GUnionVolumeMonitor prototype 0xa1474e0 class 0xa21d248 in object 0xa173780
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_connected_drives in prototype for GUnionVolumeMonitor (Gio.VolumeMonitor)
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GProxyDrive' so trying parent type 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GProxyDrive 0xa21d298
JS G OBJ: Defined class GProxyDrive prototype 0xa147580 class 0xa21d298 in object 0xa16b540
JS G OBJ: Found method get_volumes in native interface GDrive
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_volumes in prototype for GProxyDrive (GObject.Object)
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_volumes in prototype for GUnionVolumeMonitor (Gio.VolumeMonitor)
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GProxyVolume' so trying parent type 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GProxyVolume 0xa21d2e8
JS G OBJ: Defined class GProxyVolume prototype 0xa147a80 class 0xa21d2e8 in object 0xa16b540
JS G OBJ: Found method get_drive in native interface GVolume
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_drive in prototype for GProxyVolume (GObject.Object)
JS G OBJ: Found method get_mount in native interface GVolume
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_mount in prototype for GProxyVolume (GObject.Object)
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_mounts in prototype for GUnionVolumeMonitor (Gio.VolumeMonitor)
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'build_filenamev' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G OBJ: Found method monitor_file in native interface GFile
JS G OBJ: Defining method monitor_file in prototype for GLocalFile (GObject.Object)
JS G NS: Found info type FLAGS for 'FileMonitorFlags' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type FLAGS for 'FileMonitorFlags' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value NONE (fixed from none) 0
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value WATCH_MOUNTS (fixed from watch_mounts) 1
JS G ENUM: Defining Gio.FileMonitorFlags as 0xa147ca0
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GInotifyFileMonitor' so trying parent type 'GLocalFileMonitor'
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GLocalFileMonitor' so trying parent type 'GFileMonitor'
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GLocalFileMonitor' so trying parent type 'GFileMonitor'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'FileMonitor' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'FileMonitor' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class FileMonitor 0xa21d338
JS G OBJ: Defined class FileMonitor prototype 0xa147cc0 class 0xa21d338 in object 0xa173780
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GLocalFileMonitor 0xa21d388
JS G OBJ: Defined class GLocalFileMonitor prototype 0xa147ce0 class 0xa21d388 in object 0xa173780
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GInotifyFileMonitor 0xa227c20
JS G OBJ: Defined class GInotifyFileMonitor prototype 0xa147d00 class 0xa227c20 in object 0xa173780
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'file_test' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type FLAGS for 'FileTest' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type FLAGS for 'FileTest' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value IS_REGULAR (fixed from is_regular) 1
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value IS_SYMLINK (fixed from is_symlink) 2
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value IS_DIR (fixed from is_dir) 4
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value IS_EXECUTABLE (fixed from is_executable) 8
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value EXISTS (fixed from exists) 16
JS G ENUM: Defining GLib.FileTest as 0xa147d60
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'file_get_contents' in namespace 'GLib'
JS G NS: Found info type FUNCTION for 'file_new_for_uri' in namespace 'Gio'
JS G OBJ: Found method query_exists in native interface GFile
JS G OBJ: Defining method query_exists in prototype for GLocalFile (GObject.Object)
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GDaemonFile' so trying parent type 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GDaemonFile 0xa227c70
JS G OBJ: Defined class GDaemonFile prototype 0xa27b720 class 0xa227c70 in object 0xa16b540
JS G OBJ: Defining method query_exists in prototype for GDaemonFile (GObject.Object)
JS G OBJ: No introspection data on 'GDummyFile' so trying parent type 'GObject'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class GDummyFile 0xa227cc0
JS G OBJ: Defined class GDummyFile prototype 0xa27b780 class 0xa227cc0 in object 0xa16b540
JS G OBJ: Defining method query_exists in prototype for GDummyFile (GObject.Object)
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Bin' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Bin' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Bin 0xa227d10
JS G OBJ: Defined class Bin prototype 0xa27b900 class 0xa227d10 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Label' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Label' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Label 0xa227d60
JS G OBJ: Defined class Label prototype 0xa27b940 class 0xa227d60 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Button' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type OBJECT for 'Button' in namespace 'St'
JS G REPO: Initializing dynamic class Button 0xa227db0
JS G OBJ: Defined class Button prototype 0xa27b980 class 0xa227db0 in object 0xa1738e0
JS G NS: Found info type ENUM for 'Align' in namespace 'St'
JS G NS: Found info type ENUM for 'Align' in namespace 'St'
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value START (fixed from start) 0
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value MIDDLE (fixed from middle) 1
JS G ENUM: Defining enum value END (fixed from end) 2
JS G ENUM: Defining St.Align as 0xa27b9e0
JS G OBJ: Defining method set_child in prototype for StBin (St.Bin)
JS G OBJ: Found method add_actor in interface 0 implemented by object
JS G OBJ: Defining method add_actor in prototype for StBoxLayout (St.BoxLayout)
JS G OBJ: Found method get_child_meta in interface 0 implemented by object
JS G OBJ: Defining method get_child_meta in prototype for StBoxLayout (St.BoxLayout)
JS CTX: Script evaluation failed
JS ERROR: !!! Exception was: TypeError: meta is null
JS ERROR: !!! lineNumber = '18'
JS ERROR: !!! fileName = '/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js'
JS ERROR: !!! stack = '([object _private_St_Label],[object Object])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:18
([object _private_St_Label],[object Object])@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/environment.js:27
()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js:105
InfoBar()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js:83
()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js:197
Overview()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/overview.js:189
start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:115
@<main>:1
'
JS ERROR: !!! message = 'meta is null'
JS CTX: Script evaluation succeeded
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: TypeError: meta is null
Shell exited with return code 1
mahir@puccaso-dell-bnt:~$ Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

what could be the problem? i dont understand??

Merk42
February 24th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one who has to do sudo jhbuild build?
I can't say you're the only one, I can just say that I do no have to use sudo, and the instructions on GNOME Live don't mention sudo either.

what could be the problem? i dont understand??
Is this when running or trying to start it?
How did you get GNOME Shell? Lucid repo, Ricotz repo, source?

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 06:13 PM
OK, I have curl, I have jhbuild. I go to gnome live and follow those instructions in a chroot environment to my ISO testing install. i get this message:

root@sam-desktop:/# /bin/bash gnome-shell-build-setup.sh
GNOME 2.26 or newer is required to build GNOME Shell

This is going to a fresh install of A3. I thought we were newer than 2.26.

What do I do?
Thanks,
Clueless in Montana

Merk42
February 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm not familiar with chroot, never used it as it's not needed for GNOME Shell.
When building from source GNOME Shell resides in the $home folder, so maybe you're making it more complicated than it needs to be and that's why it's not working?

Dragonbite
February 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the information! I read that something was released and want to try it out (after I get done with a presentation next week).

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Chroot is just like running in terminal from the OS you are chrooted to (at least I believe so in my noobish way - it sure acts like it).

I checked here and we are on 2.29.91.

Oh well, I,ll try it from there and see what happens.

Thanks a bunch.

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
OK, I went over there and ran every thing. It is not something that should be done in chroot anyway as the permissions are going to be wrong if you are running as root. I was also chrooted to my root partition and needed to be to the home partition.

Every thing ran very easily using the script provided on gnome live.

The very last line of the output was;

PATH does not contain /home/ike/bin, it is recommended that you add that.

I do have a vague idea what this means but have no idea how to proceed. I sure hope some kind soul will let me know.

Merk42
February 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
OK, I went over there and ran every thing. It is not something that should be done in chroot anyway as the permissions are going to be wrong if you are running as root. I was also chrooted to my root partition and needed to be to the home partition.

Every thing ran very easily using the script provided on gnome live.

The very last line of the output was;

PATH does not contain /home/ike/bin, it is recommended that you add that.

I do have a vague idea what this means but have no idea how to proceed. I sure hope some kind soul will let me know.

Just make a folder called 'bin' in ike's home folder.

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM
The folder is there. It contains "install-check" and "jhbuild" but I can't give the result of "cat" or "ls" even when I cd to that folder because it is not in the PATH. This causes the error "no such directory or file".

I need to get that in the bash Path and do not know how. Until that is done that file may as well be on the Moon.

Reiger
February 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Well I think it's the chrooting thing playing tricks on you. 'Cause this is part of my .profile:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

And that file is unmodified (IOW: the default). But of course that only gets loaded if I log on to my account here.

Merk42
February 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
The folder is there. It contains "install-check" and "jhbuild" but I can't give the result of "cat" or "ls" even when I cd to that folder because it is not in the PATH. This causes the error "no such directory or file".

I need to get that in the bash Path and do not know how. Until that is done that file may as well be on the Moon.

Same here it only contains those two, though I can "ls" if I "cd" to /bin.
You don't need to go to the bin folder to execute "jhbuild build", though. You can do that from your home folder.

techno-mole
February 24th, 2010, 09:39 PM
just though id post a couple of screen shots of the changes i have made to gnome shell, after figuring out various bits of css and js, and editing a couple of image files.

i think it would be fairly easy to make theme packs for gnome shell, im not sure how best to implement them, for example for me i copied the original gnome shell theme folder, and over wrote it with the changes ive made, but this means copying a file over as root, so i wondered whether having a theme folder in the users home directory would be better way ?
and instead of having to copy one theme folder maybe there could be a system where the gnome shell would have some way to switch between themes ? kind of drag and drop like you can do with the gnome appearances ?

anyway, its still a work in progress (comments are welcome, but if all you can say is " it's s@*t " at least give a reason why you think that, i quite like it)
and as its basically a variety of grey shades with gradients, ive only got as far as editing the corner ripple, which i have made into a square style (again various shades of grey)

there are aspects i havent as yet edited , im still wondering if i should leave them alone.

cheers.

Reiger
February 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM

If $HOME is set appropriately in the chroot then you could inline the .profile script like this:

cd /path/to/home/
# reload profile
# you can fix $HOME by issuing: export $HOME="/path/to/home";
. .profile
echo "continue working here"

ranch hand
February 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Well I think it's the chrooting thing playing tricks on you. 'Cause this is part of my .profile:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi
And that file is unmodified (IOW: the default). But of course that only gets loaded if I log on to my account here.
I did not do this through chroot. I did it logged in to the OS involved.

I just checked the .profile file an that same entry is there. Why is it commented out is both our files? Should it be uncommented? Or should I just ignore the Path message and get on with things?

Also do I need to use "gnome-shell --replace" as with the ppa version or some other command.

I will be going back over there when todays boinc stuff "reports".

Reiger
February 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Uhm, there's nothing commented-out there? It's piece of bash script which checks if the folder $HOME/bin exists, and if so adds it to the PATH ($PATH).

I don't know, what commands you should be using to kickstart GS: I don't use it myself.

Merk42
February 24th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I did not do this through chroot. I did it logged in to the OS involved.

I just checked the .profile file an that same entry is there. Why is it commented out is both our files? Should it be uncommented? Or should I just ignore the Path message and get on with things?

Also do I need to use "gnome-shell --replace" as with the ppa version or some other command.

I will be going back over there when todays boinc stuff "reports".

Are you building from source? Yes you need gnome-shell --replace, look in the first post

bash
February 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Looks like we might get some new mock-ups and design ideas. At the GNOME UX Hackfest they spent some time going over the "desktop" for GNOME.

The blog post (http://blogs.gnome.org/seth/2010/02/24/gnome-3-will-be-amazing/) on Planet GNOME about it sadly is a bit very general it (and sounds like they had a LOT of coffee). But from the tone of it they seem to have come up with some pretty nice ideas. Guess we'll know when some mockups are up. In the end they might have only decided to change to default color in the shell from black to pink.

Edit
Btw, since we are going at already 115 pages here, maybe we should start a new thread to make it a bit cleaner again or perhaps even split it in two threads. One for the general discussion, views, updates and criticism of the shell; and one for technical problems like build issues.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Are you building from source? Yes you need gnome-shell --replace, look in the first post
I followed the paths around the gnome site and got to;

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#building

Which is basically a script that does the building and, as it turns out, gets all the support packages you need too.

I am headed over there directly to find out what, if anything, I actually have installed on there.

Thanks for the answer, I figured that would do it. It has always been sufficient to freeze the OS in the past.

I new kernel and the latest edgers stuff seem to be more stable with effects. I couldn't bring myself to get back into compiz to check it out real well but it just feels better.

I figure that trying it with GS, something I actually want to see is a better way to go.

There was a lot of stuff installed and I have trouble believing it was all to support building GS. Could be that some of the stuff the script brought in helps support GS.

d3v1150m471c
February 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
gnome shell vs...

OlyPerson
February 25th, 2010, 01:38 AM
just though id post a couple of screen shots of the changes i have made to gnome shell, after figuring out various bits of css and js, and editing a couple of image files.

i think it would be fairly easy to make theme packs for gnome shell, im not sure how best to implement them, for example for me i copied the original gnome shell theme folder, and over wrote it with the changes ive made, but this means copying a file over as root, so i wondered whether having a theme folder in the users home directory would be better way ?
and instead of having to copy one theme folder maybe there could be a system where the gnome shell would have some way to switch between themes ? kind of drag and drop like you can do with the gnome appearances ?

anyway, its still a work in progress (comments are welcome, but if all you can say is " it's s@*t " at least give a reason why you think that, i quite like it)
and as its basically a variety of grey shades with gradients, ive only got as far as editing the corner ripple, which i have made into a square style (again various shades of grey)

there are aspects i havent as yet edited , im still wondering if i should leave them alone.

cheers.

It looks very similar to the default to me, I really want to see someone make a lighter one. I liked the look of your expanded applications menu a lot more than the default though, it fits in with the rest a lot better.

Also, do you have a Pokemon obsession?

OlyPerson
February 25th, 2010, 01:42 AM
gnome shell vs...

What is this???

Ibidem
February 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM
What is this???
Did you notice that that screenshot was named "mykde.jpg"?

k3lt01
February 25th, 2010, 03:11 AM
gnome shell vs...
Sorry I don't like it, to me it looks like some half baked Buck Rogers in the 25th Century thingy.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have no idea what I have over there. What ever it is does not crash the system but that is because there is nothing there except a whole bunch of new files.

Most of them are empty. There is nothing to start.

How the devil do I get that?

I did by the way read the first post but the directions I followed were the ones on the gnome live link in my last post. Look pretty much the same to me but I obviously did not get the expected result.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Sorry I don't like it, to me it looks like some half baked Buck Rogers in the 25th Century thingy.
+1
Just what I thought when I saw it. I thought it looked like the really bad Sci Fi movies I really loved from the 50s. Space ship controls made out of used stoves and toasters.

Hey its his box, he likes it. It is fine with me. Looks like a lot of effort too.

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I have no idea what I have over there. What ever it is does not crash the system but that is because there is nothing there except a whole bunch of new files.

Most of them are empty. There is nothing to start.

How the devil do I get that?

I did by the way read the first post but the directions I followed were the ones on the gnome live link in my last post. Look pretty much the same to me but I obviously did not get the expected result.

Did you successfully build it?
What happens when you try to run it?

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Did you successfully build it?
What happens when you try to run it?
A>having never done anything like that I really do not know.
B>nothing

I am back over on the chosen victim and going to go through it again. Can't hurt.

k3lt01
February 25th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hey its his box, he likes it. It is fine with me. Looks like a lot of effort too.I agree the effort that went into it deserves recognition. He did, or someone did anyway, a good job, however it just doesn't float my boat.

OlyPerson
February 25th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Did you notice that that screenshot was named "mykde.jpg"?

I'll be honest with you, I read that as "Myk de" as in myk from de=Germany. I think because I was chatting in German at the time. I like it though.

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM
A>having never done anything like that I really do not know.
B>nothing

I am back over on the chosen victim and going to go through it again. Can't hurt.

A>When you get to the step to type jhbuild build does it throw a bunch of code and eventually bring you back to a prompt, or does it stop as some sort of error?
B>IF A hasn't happened that's one thing, else it should give some sort of terminal output for why it didn't happen.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM
OK, things looked fine to me last time but got this same message when I ran "gnome-shell replace". However, there was a lot more activity this time. Here are the last few lines of output and the next command;

/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 gnome-shell.1 '/home/ike/gnome-shell/install/share/man/man1'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/man'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/man'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ike/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell'
*** success *** [7/7]
The program 'gnome-shell' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
ike@ike-desktop:~$

I really could not comprehend what was going on but I did try to follow it. The only thing I could see that didn't look like it went right was this;

Please add the files
codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
progtest.m4
from the /aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

I did not do anything about this because I could not find "codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4 progtest.m4. The only thing in that is in that folder (aclocal) is "gconf-2.m4" and "introspection.m4".

As this was the case I ignored the "You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

This is from the gedit file on my desktop titled GS-wtf.

All I can say is wtf?

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 03:54 AM
A>When you get to the step to type jhbuild build does it throw a bunch of code and eventually bring you back to a prompt, or does it stop as some sort of error?
B>IF A hasn't happened that's one thing, else it should give some sort of terminal output for why it didn't happen.
You posted this while I was typing.

I hope the above answers your questions.

houseworkshy
February 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM
From what I've skimmed through above, it's a long thread, I hope that gnome shell will be an option not a compulsory default. I have several reasons for saying this.
The current GNOME is an easy environment which people who are not tech minded can find their way around whilst at the same time there is nothing that one can't do in it if one wishes.
I know several new converts to Linux who were won over by gnomes simplicity and, how do I phrase this, are at the stage in life where learning new things is difficult and off putting.
Though it is mostly, not all, eye candy compiz has done much to win over the younger end of the market, people even post screen captures on youtube to show how much cooler their desktops are than the commercial alternatives.

This is not a flame, good luck to the gnome shell team and more power to your elbow. There are at least a couple of dozen GUI's and as far as I'm concerned the more the merrier. Just please Ubuntu don't make it the default, given a few hours and some reading up I can switch my GUI, most users, such as the huge crowd of application only users fleeing the unsupported XP, can't. Changing the GUI just as Ubuntu is entering the mainstream will severely dampen it's popularity.
In fact as a general principle radical overhauls are only a good idea if they are optional. Many people just want to use their computers for business and recreation and are only interested in applications. They learn what security they are forced to learn and no more. Years of bugs, viruses and various computer problems which have lost valuable data, work and time have conditioned them out of any enthusiasm for the inner workings of operating systems. Most non-geeks actually loath compulsory changes as much as buggy releases because they simply want to get on with the things they want to do. I suspect the majority of Ubuntu users are non-geeks and as such lots of them will have what amounts to a phobia of all the things geeks love.

IMO
Extra option = great
compulsory = very bad

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 04:53 AM
houseworkshy
As a guy that is trying to get GS to run on a year old box and having some problems I agree with you.

I do not know if I like it or not, haven't been able to get it up yet. I like the one we have now a lot (without compiz). Change is something most folks like to sneak up on, not have it jump out at them.

This does look like a big change.

buzzmandt
February 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM
What is this???

definitely kde (kdesnapshot and all) but i don't like it, and i'm a big fan of kde. I agree it looks like a buck rogers crap attack

here is default lucid kubuntu w/kde 4.4, much cleaner and nicer than he shows. I like it enough to keep the default look, at least for now

as for gnomeshell? I'm fine with it being an option, but i think it should have been called something else such as javashell (read that how you want lol)

techno-mole
February 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM
It looks very similar to the default to me, I really want to see someone make a lighter one. I liked the look of your expanded applications menu a lot more than the default though, it fits in with the rest a lot better.

Also, do you have a Pokemon obsession?

my next one will be a lighter theme, the Pokemon stuff was for my son, he loves Pokemon and we were getting loads of pictures to make a bookmark :-)

now i understand a little more of what does what it shouldn't take too long to make another theme.

McDuff
February 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
*** success *** [7/7]
this means build was fine.

this can’t work as bash can’t devine the path to the shell. you have to change to the directory first:

~$ cd gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src
then you call the gnome-shell which is in this direcory and make it replace metacity:

$ ./gnome-shell --replace
cheers!

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM
this means build was fine.

this can’t work as bash can’t devine the path to the shell. you have to change to the directory first:

~$ cd gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/srcthen you call the gnome-shell which is in this direcory and make it replace metacity:

$ ./gnome-shell --replacecheers!
Oh Bugger. They said something about that on the gnome live page. I even tried it on my first attempt that didn't work. So, obviously, the thing to do is forget it.

I am a moron. But I am good at it.

Thank you very much. I am sure that will do it. I will try it tomorrow when I am back on that drive.

I better hit the hay. Maybe with some sleep I will develope the ability to think.

Jackzor
February 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM
So.. This is what I did. Just to make it simple. And you can just hit ctrl+c to stop gnome shell

icyzer
February 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Mmm, I just updated to the latest Gnome-shell. Is it just me or is it a bit slower. More laggish?

techno-mole
February 25th, 2010, 05:47 PM
okay this is by no means finished, but in response to a post here is the start of a lighter gnome shell theme, like i said i havent finished it, icons need sorting etc, and there some polishing to be done, again any comment are welcome.

I have also figured out how to change the text colour of the search input box in the over view mode, the colours can be changed by editing a couple of lines in the dash.js file, near to the top you can see search related lines of code.
and also if you have changed the colours but found that the recent items text is in a different colour try adding this
.dash-recent-docs-item {
color: #000000;
}
this should allow the text colour of the recent items to be changed.

screenshots attached.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Wow. I am unemployed as my boss on the ranch up and died on me. She would have just loved the looks of that. Her truck was purple. Her curtains were purple. Just loved purple.

Looks pretty nice.

icyzer
February 25th, 2010, 05:58 PM
omg, did you get gnome-do to work? how?

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Well it is tomorrow and here I am trying to get this to work again. No go.

I think I have to give up on it. I had FF up so I can still do this.

I saved the message again but it is the old song and dance about the irq not working right and some stuff about mutter not working right. Can't get to it.

Nothing works. Can't get a command line. Wallpaper at full screen. No panel. Will quit this from the quit command in the menu (I assume as the menu does open). Will try to get metacity back through tty other wise just reboot again.

Bummer.

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 06:19 PM

I saved the message again but it is the old song and dance about the irq not working right and some stuff about mutter not working right. Can't get to it.

Nothing works. Can't get a command line. Wallpaper at full screen. No panel. Will quit this from the quit command in the menu (I assume as the menu does open). Will try to get metacity back through tty other wise just reboot again.

Bummer.
What specific error messages are you getting when you run
cd ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src
./gnome-shell --replace

icyzer
February 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Bummer.
Try enabling Ctrl+alt+backspace, saves reboot time ;)

And on more thing, probably has been asked already, have you disabled all eyecandy apps before going to shell?
Like: Compiz, Nitrogen, Emerald, beryl, etc

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
What specific error messages are you getting when you run
./gnome-shell --replace
This is it;

ike@ike-desktop:~$ cd ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src
ike@ike-desktop:~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src$ ./gnome-shell --replace
JS LOG: GNOME Shell started at Thu Feb 25 2010 10:05:42 GMT-0700 (MST)

This is the same thing I was getting with the ppa version.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Try enabling Ctrl+alt+backspace, saves reboot time ;)

And on more thing, probably has been asked already, have you disabled all eyecandy apps before going to shell?
Like: Compiz, Nitrogen, Emerald, beryl, etc
The only key combo that works is Ctrl+Alt+F2 (F1, F3...F6 do not).

I had compiz running before reinstalling for ISO testing. Do not like it. I really know nothing about that stuff at all as it is just too irritating and ugly to stand.

What is it that I need to do to disable it? I will be over there again this evening and try anything that will maybe get this going.

techno-mole
February 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
omg, did you get gnome-do to work? how?

its always worked for me ? the only niggle is that now and then it wont auto start like its set to, but clicking the gnome do icon starts it up fine.

all i did was install it from synaptic.

i take it, its not working well for you ?

icyzer
February 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The only key combo that works is Ctrl+Alt+F2 (F1, F3...F6 do not).

I had compiz running before reinstalling for ISO testing. Do not like it. I really know nothing about that stuff at all as it is just too irritating and ugly to stand.

What is it that I need to do to disable it? I will be over there again this evening and try anything that will maybe get this going.
Mmm, I see you got 8.04. Dunno whether you can enable Ctrl+alt+bckspace there, it's in keyboard preferences. Go to Layout and then Layout options. There should be the option to enable 'Keysequence to restart X-server'. It really comes in handy when testing new programs.

It doesn sound like you use any eyecandy programs then ;) Compiz should be easy to disable by going to appearance and making sure that Visual effects is set to 'none'

its always worked for me ? the only niggle is that now and then it wont auto start like its set to, but clicking the gnome do icon starts it up fine.

all i did was install it from synaptic.

i take it, its not working well for you ?
It isn't :P Not such a big deal anyway :P

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Mmm, I see you got 8.04. Dunno whether you can enable Ctrl+alt+bckspace there, it's in keyboard preferences. Go to Layout and then Layout options. There should be the option to enable 'Keysequence to restart X-server'. It really comes in handy when testing new programs.

It doesn sound like you use any eyecandy programs then ;) Compiz should be easy to disable by going to appearance and making sure that Visual effects is set to 'none'

It isn't :P Not such a big deal anyway :P
I am on my test platform during the day and running 10.04 (7 variations). I have one that I stay on most of the day that is running boinc hard to keep the cpus at 99 to 100% all the time.

8.04 is only used for very secure business. I like it but it is not as much fun as 10.04 or 9.04 or even 9.10, all of which are on here. All set at "none" by the way.

The OS in question does have effects set at normal. I will try it at none but I thought that GS would not work at that setting.

techno-mole
February 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
@ranch hand i had to switch desktop effects to none before gnome shell would work for me as well, just got to appearance--> visual effects and select none.

PS - if anyone is interested i have attached the 2 css files ive been messing about with to create different looks for gnome shell.

nilarimogard
February 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the files!

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well I got the bugger up and then dropped it accidentally just as I was collecting some information. Must have been on for 5 minutes.

My head is splitting and I am having trouble seeing clearly. The bouncing around of the desktop, combined with the ghastly black, is VERY painful. I have not had a migraine in years but this is headed that way.

I am really getting to like the Buck Rodgers theme. Beats this all hollow.

No matter where I put things they all seem to end up on one workspace. This is not good for me at all. I have several things going on all the time and have related things on a work space. I do not think that this (as I have run it so far) is good at all. 15 to 20 things to wade through on a workspace is not productive anywhere but looks completely unmanagable on here.

Atl-tab does help but I need better behavior than this. I hope they are working on that.

I have the font set where I like it (had to reboot to get back to this) but I can not read what I am writting. Have to go. the 6 extra strength excedrin i took may help.

icyzer
February 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Try dragging the application icons to the workspace you want them to run on :)

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
First I have to do something about the color. My left eye is still twitching. That sucker HURTS to look at.

There could be a way of doing that but I was pretty out of it when I had to leave.

I checked in to see about those themes from techno-mole. Hopefully they will not make me ill and I can work with this thing to learn how to use it.

ranch hand
February 25th, 2010, 11:51 PM
@ranch hand i had to switch desktop effects to none before gnome shell would work for me as well, just got to appearance--> visual effects and select none.

PS - if anyone is interested i have attached the 2 css files ive been messing about with to create different looks for gnome shell.
I would be truly thankful if you would tell me exactly what to do with the contents of these because I can only really take the bugger for a a couple minute as it is now.

If this is just a case of plugging it in somewhere, I can do that from here and not have to look at it.

That said I need to figure out how you get it to start as at boot up. That is the only OS that will run it (so far) because of the xorg.edgers stuff. I do not spend much time there so I should be able to fool with it a few minutes at a time to make sure the updates haven't screwed some thing (that is the only purpose of that OS besides ISO testing - check the updates before hurting the install I actually use).

If I can lower the pain involved I may learn to use it.

techno-mole
February 26th, 2010, 12:55 AM
okay, if you mean how to auto start gnome shell, thats easy.

now if you have built from source you will have to cd to a folder in your home directory to start gnome shell ? is there file that starts it ?

if this is the case i may not be able to help, but try this.

go to system preferences --> start up applications --> and click add, give it a name eg - gnome-shell and for the command you can browse to where the start script is and select it, however if you have built from source you might have to make script that runs the commands that you have to run in a terminal

./gnome-shell --replace in which case im not the best person to ask about making scripts

i dont know if something like this would work ?

open gedit (or text editor of your choice) and add the following (i cant say whether this will work)

#!/bin/sh and then on the line below add this

./gnome-shell --replace

now save it as what ever eg - gnome-shell start

move that file to the directory - /gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/src if thats where you have been running it from, next you need to right click on the file and select properties, the select permissions and tick the box that allows it to be run as a program.

now go back to the start up applications and in the command field delete anything thats there and browse to where you just put that script and then click add, and it should appear some where in the start up menu.

and see if that works ? i have no idea whether it will, and you probably have a better idea than me on how to make a script.

as for the files ive posted they are theme files, and they can be put into the themes file of gnome shell,
its just a matter of copying the css file thats in the archive over to gnome-shell/themes where ever that file resides (most likely in your home directory if you built from source, i think ?) if you used the ppa then it will be here - /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme (you will need to be root to copy the file)
i would go for the darker theme, because its more complete, and should display okay, i am working on a blue one, thats kind of marine colours, but its not ready yet, i will upload it when it is, if you prefer blue :-)

hopefully i have been of some help ?

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
techno-mole
Thanks a lot.

I really do not like dark themes that much. They all seem to hurt to look at although I have never experienced the torture that the GS look gives me.

I will have to look into the color codes to find one for a color i like if I can get my head around this GS stuff. Until the advent of the current theme we are using as default I have never really objected to the colors in Ubuntu. Easy to change that (currently anyway). I have some that are green (forest) that I like too.

I try to avoid blue for some reason, beats me because I normally like the color. Maybe too much MS.

Anyway, if I can get the color codes I can go in from here and change that stuff. It is, indeed in the home folder.

I wish there was a real menu in GS. I am not an icon kind of guy. I use them on the panels now but at least they are decently small. Text would be smaller than the icons they are using in GS. Those are huge. 25% of that size would be plenty.

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I just checked in nautilus and I can't find any theme or themes folder at all in /gnome-shell or /gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell. Or anywhere else in that directory at all.

There is an empty .themes folder in /home but that is normally there (it is populated in the install I am on as several were added to the respin of 9.04 I upgraded from).

I thought maybe I should check in /usr/share but there is no /gnome-shell there.

I am stumped unless it would work to just add the folder. I have no idea where the default lives though to get rid of it (or even to try just modifying its ghastly looks).

I am, frankly, scared to use it without doing something about the looks of it. My left eye has not stopped twitching yet from the few minutes I was on it before.

HalfEmptyHero
February 26th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I just checked in nautilus and I can't find any theme or themes folder at all in /gnome-shell or /gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell. Or anywhere else in that directory at all.

There is an empty .themes folder in /home but that is normally there (it is populated in the install I am on as several were added to the respin of 9.04 I upgraded from).

I thought maybe I should check in /usr/share but there is no /gnome-shell there.

Fire up the terminal and do:
locate gnome-shell.css

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Fire up the terminal and do:
locate gnome-shell.css
I am not over there right now but I did find such a file in /gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/theme, renamed the file, plugged the one from the techno-mole and ran "update-initramfs -u" before going over there this last time. It made no difference.

This did not surprise me seeing that it is in the install folder but I thought I would give it a whack.

I will try it again tomorrow but I think that is all I will get.

I need to be back up in a few hours to cut wood before the ground thaws into mud so I have got to get.

I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I actually couldn't wait. I popped over here on my way to stable OS land and ran it again and there it was in /gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/data/theme just incase anyone else find the default to be literally sickening.

Purple is not a big favorite with me. Compared to the default I really love it, it is just absolutely great.

I have been here for minutes and have not developed a headache nor is my eye twitching.

Thanks a bunch. Do not know why it did not come up before but it may have and I was just to far out of it to comprehend.

Now I can fool with this and see it I like it or not.

techno-mole
February 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM
glad i could be of some help, if you know some css then making the theme to your liking is pretty easy to be honest, the css for the purple one has more comments in it, so its bit easier to see what will be changed, ive attached the blue one to this, incase you want to have a go, and also these are the 2 sites ive been using for the colour codes.

http://html-color-codes.info/ and
http://www.drpeterjones.com/colorcalc/

they may be of some use to you, the icon sizes i think can be adjusted as well, not sure though as it didnt occur to me to make them smaller.

k3lt01
February 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
@ techno-mole. That blue one is pretty good, just about my fav colour.

techno-mole
February 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
i have attached the finished theme, complete with icons and the dash.js file that has the controls for the search feature in over view mode.

all you need to do is copy the theme file to where ever your theme folder for gnome shell is (make a back up first as you might want to go back to the default theme)

the dash.js file is optional, i made changes to this to make the text show up more, but if you are okay with it then leave this file,

Note ! there may be differences between this file and your dash.js, apart from the text colour, i install gnome shell from the ppa, versions built from source may be different, so its up to you, make backups and this way you can restore the files easily enough.

I should have mentioned that the dash.js file needs to go into the ui folder, so for me thats - /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui

bash
February 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Well the new mockups & ideas for GNOME 3 and the shell have been posted.

Seems like quite the change from the current shell iteration. Including things like a global menu and another pop-up bar at the bottom of the screen.

More can be found here:
http://blogs.gnome.org/seth/2010/02/26/let-the-wild-rumpus-begin/

23meg
February 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Seems like quite the change from the current shell iteration. Including things like a global menu and another pop-up bar at the bottom of the screen.

More can be found here:

Keep in mind that these are fresh, uncut ideas from the recent UX Hackfest; they'll keep evolving, and many will likely not be finalized.

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM
glad i could be of some help, if you know some css then making the theme to your liking is pretty easy to be honest, the css for the purple one has more comments in it, so its bit easier to see what will be changed, ive attached the blue one to this, incase you want to have a go, and also these are the 2 sites ive been using for the colour codes.

http://html-color-codes.info/ and
http://www.drpeterjones.com/colorcalc/they may be of some use to you, the icon sizes i think can be adjusted as well, not sure though as it didnt occur to me to make them smaller.
I actually never heard of css before. I still think that I can learn some about it though by fooling with some of these files and reading them and about them.

Thanks for the address'. I looked some up last night that I will add these to. I think that will round out some beginning education on this.

Another theme with some differences will help with education too. You have been busy.

Thanks.

techno-mole
February 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
if you dont know about css have a look here -
http://w3schools.com/css/default.asp

they are good, and they have a load of easy to follow tutorials.

im currently planning 2 versions of gnome shell themes based on the colour red, one will be similar to the others, use of gradients etc and the other with be a flat version, eg - no gradients.

im also planning to do a transparent type theme, not completely transparent though, kind of like a frosted window effect.

I meant to mention this earlier but, if you update gnome shell, I assume it will be the same for source builds and the ppa installation it will overwrite the current theme and you will be back to black (if thats still the default) just follow the steps to replace the theme and then press alt + f2 and type restart and then hit enter, it should restart gnome shell

OlyPerson
February 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM

More can be found here:

That seems to be a huge amount of changes, I don't think they'll be able to deliver by September. I'm wondering when we'll begin seeing some of what's on there in our setups?

I'm not even sure exactly what changes there will be, there just seem to be so many that I can't keep track of it... are there any other mockups available?

Regenweald
February 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Considering the impending arrival of BTRFS and the move to file management using Zeitgiest, are the shell developers taking a proactive approach to keeping track of btrfs and how its features can be optimally used within the shell ? I thinking of Opensolaris and its 'one click' fs snapshots thanks to ZFS. I'm also thinking of the "data loss" early in the ext4 release days.

23meg
February 26th, 2010, 04:02 PM
That seems to be a huge amount of changes, I don't think they'll be able to deliver by September. I'm wondering when we'll begin seeing some of what's on there in our setups?

I'm not even sure exactly what changes there will be, there just seem to be so many that I can't keep track of it... are there any other mockups available?

Some of the ideas are rather "blue sky", but then they don't have to be in by 3.0. They can be deferred to future releases.

Merk42
February 26th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Yes I know these are early mockups and likely to change

So instead of giving a task switcher like a lot of people want, they put in crap pooper?

techno-mole
February 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
interesting idea, but they really need to change the name of it, that sems to be a feature of open source, odd names eg - the gimp

i use gimp to edit my photographs, but on odd occasions when i say " I use The G.I.M.P " eyebrows have been raised, and now we have pooper ?

the other day I was looking at an application called PLoP its a boot utility type thing (lets you boot from usb even if your bios doesnt support it, and other stuff)

I rest my case, with a name like pooper that would be reason enough for some not to use gnome shell.

Merk42
February 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
interesting idea, but they really need to change the name of it, that sems to be a feature of open source, odd names eg - the gimp

i use gimp to edit my photographs, but on odd occasions when i say " I use The G.I.M.P " eyebrows have been raised, and now we have pooper ?

the other day I was looking at an application called PLoP its a boot utility type thing (lets you boot from usb even if your bios doesnt support it, and other stuff)

I rest my case, with a name like pooper that would be reason enough for some not to use gnome shell.

So if you don't want to photo edit something at the moment you'd say...
"I stuck the GIMP in the pooper"

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM
if you dont know about css have a look here -
http://w3schools.com/css/default.aspthey are good, and they have a load of easy to follow tutorials.

im currently planning 2 versions of gnome shell themes based on the colour red, one will be similar to the others, use of gradients etc and the other with be a flat version, eg - no gradients.

im also planning to do a transparent type theme, not completely transparent though, kind of like a frosted window effect.

I meant to mention this earlier but, if you update gnome shell, I assume it will be the same for source builds and the ppa installation it will overwrite the current theme and you will be back to black (if thats still the default) just follow the steps to replace the theme and then press alt + f2 and type restart and then hit enter, it should restart gnome shell
Thanks once again. Looks like a great link.

New themes sound interesting.

I got used to having a backup of images for xsplash in 9.10-testing so that I could fix the thing right off after an update reverted things to the default (that is the image that is still used for your gdm login screen from /usr/share/images/xsplash). I like the grub screen menu background, xsplash or plymouth background and my wallpaper to match.

I think I can handle that and I have the files here on my main daytime OS anyway so that I can study while still running boinc. I can also do most of the file swapping around frome here and just go and play with GS over there without having to worry about doing anything to it while there.

ranch hand
February 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM
So if you don't want to photo edit something at the moment you'd say...
"I stuck the GIMP in the pooper"
+1
Just for that reason I think they should stick with pooper or, better yet, change it to the one you crossed out (crapper).

Yes, I am aware that I should grow up. Not gonna do it.

Roasted
February 27th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Is anybody having issues with Thunderbird? Whenever I open Thunderbird and click on a message, it just crashes. But only in Gnome Shell.

For what it's worth, I'm running dual screen.

NightwishFan
February 27th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I am wondering how to drag and drop between programs in the Shell. When using Gnome2 you can drag to a hidden program by hovering over it's icon.

HalfEmptyHero
February 27th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I am wondering how to drag and drop between programs in the Shell. When using Gnome2 you can drag to a hidden program by hovering over it's icon.

Don't have the windows maximized. But I see your point.

icyzer
February 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM
maybe with a dock it's possible?
It should be added though. Send an email to the mailinglist?

nomnex
February 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
This is solely my personal taste and first visual impression. I find the print screens (the ones with the menus) as ugly and as bloated of any average Mac and Windows desktop put together. It gets close to the Windoz clone on Linux, I mean kkkklone, KDE.

Simplicity was my first impression using GNOME 2.26. I was expecting "less but better" for the future releases. Is Gnome shell different from GNOME?

Edit, I got my answer: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Screenshots - indeed, completely bloated and ugly for my taste. No, no way. It makes me think of this Vista crap or OS X. A total dislike.

moore.bryan
February 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Anyone else getting this error when trying to upgrade today:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gir1.0-mutter-2.29_2.29.0+git20100226-0ubuntu1~10.04~ricotz1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/mutter/Meta-2.29.typelib', which is also in package gir1.0-mutter-2.28 0

techno-mole
February 27th, 2010, 02:44 PM
thats your taste, and other people will prefer themes done in a variety of ways, from what i can gather eventually gnome shell will be more adaptable than it is now, the themes i made are mainly to highlight that there is a lot that you can do with it.

anyway here is another theme, i called heat for some reason, with a couple of screen shots, dont ask me what happened to the screenshot, the theme doesnt do that to your menus, honest :-)

PS - in my opinion gnome shell is not a clone of kde, and i also think its a good idea, but thats my opinion and people are entitled to have their own views on gnome shell.

kyleabaker
February 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM
...in my opinion gnome shell is not a clone of kde, and i also think its a good idea, but thats my opinion and people are entitled to have their own views on gnome shell.
Well said. So far, I'm still very undecided on GnomeShell, but it does have a few compelling features. The learning curve is too much for me to give it a spin until I have more time and I'm not crazy about losing support for Compiz.

b3t0n
February 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gir1.0-mutter-2.29_2.29.0+git20100226-0ubuntu1~10.04~ricotz1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/mutter/Meta-2.29.typelib', which is also in package gir1.0-mutter-2.28 0

Yup. Can't update some of packages because of that.

OK, I disabled ricotz PPA, purged unnecessary packages, those that are needed by other packages were reverted to Lucid's offical repo's version. Then I enabled repo again, selected to install gnome-shell, synaptic asked to install few other packages and it works.

Oh yeah, I installed the clutter libs. Try removing gir 1.0-mutter-2.28, and install 2.29 - seems to solve the problem.

moore.bryan
February 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks b3t0n... I ended up purging gnome-shell, all it's dependencies, and then reinstalled; everything's fine now.

lime4x4
February 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
techno-mole how do u install your theme. Which is pretty neat by the way

moore.bryan
February 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I've been having this issue now for a while: gnome-power-manager's tray icon will randomly disappear, leaving it's space in the tray blank, and reappear next to the space it previously vacated. The next time it blanks-out, it leaves a second blank space. That process continues until there are blank spaces to the middle of the panel.

WTF?

Oh, and to further complicate the matters, this is not a problem running Gnome-Shell in my Fedora 12 install...

puccaso
February 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I can't say you're the only one, I can just say that I do no have to use sudo, and the instructions on GNOME Live don't mention sudo either.

Is this when running or trying to start it?
How did you get GNOME Shell? Lucid repo, Ricotz repo, source?

i got it from Ricotz..

what do u have to do?

paul_in_london
February 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM

Haven't had that particular error myself, but what you can do is:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/gir1.0-mutter-2.29_2.29.0+git20100226-0ubuntu1~10.04~ricotz1_i386.deb

techno-mole
February 27th, 2010, 11:10 PM
techno-mole how do u install your theme. Which is pretty neat by the way

it depends on how you installed gnome shell, if you installed from the ppa on launchpad then you should have a folder in --> /usr/share/gnome-shell called theme, this is where the css and image files are that control colours etc.

the best thing to do is save a copy of that folder (the whole thing) before copying the theme from the archive i posted.

basically once you have backed up that folder you need to extract the archive (i knew i should have included a how to, note to self) then copy its contents over to /usr/share-gnome-shell/theme the esiest way to do this is open terminal and type
sudo nautilus then enter your password.

navigate to you home folder (or where ever you extracted the theme, and copy the contents of the folder then browse to /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme and paste the copied files.

if you installed from source you need to locate the theme folder, and to be honest im not sure where it will be (maybe so one can help ?) i think theres a post by ranch hand that says where the theme folder might be (its a couple of pages back in this thread)

now in the latest theme (the heat one) there is also a file called " dash.js " this file has the controls for the search field in the over view mode, i have changed the colouring of it to match the theme, you will also need to back this file up first before replacing it with mine.

Things to note - if you built from source then some of the files may be different to mine, i used the ppa to install.
and everytime you update gnome shell the theme will revert back to the default black theme, so you will have to go through this lot again.

if you get stuck i should be able to help.

and if you know how to write style sheets for websites then you can make your own themes, as its a css file that controls the bulk of how gnome shell looks.

ranch hand
February 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Theme folder location in compiled GS;

/home/<user>/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/data

I am not real successful at changing the colors but I have really made them "different" and it is fun.

Can't say I have gotten to like GS all that much, but it is usable now that it doesn't try to ugly me to death (or at least to need to take a bottle of asprin and lay down in a dark room and ride out the migraine).

With a decent way to switch workstations and a decent way to get apps it would work fine I guess. Definitely takes some getting use to and I admit to not spending enough time with it.

Like a fool I tried recompiling nautilus here on my main testing OS and failed. Luckily it just didn't work at all so nothing was hurt except my feelings.

I think I will try it again on the ISO install so I can use GS for something concrete. Give me a little time with it and see what I can screw up while getting to know GS a little better.

At least I can see it now and with the edgers stuff it seems to work like it should. Never did get compiz to look like the screen shots say it should eve nwit hthe edgers stuff so GS should work on my hardware when released with no problem.

That was my main concern as I have no intention of changing my hardware until this box pretty much dies on me. I like it. I like Ubuntu. At least my box will work with GS. I may not get to like it but at least I have the choice.

EDIT

Another round of heart felt thanks is due to all who helped me blunder through this experience. You all can get a beer (or beverage of choice) in Broadus MT anytime. Probably even feed you.

techno-mole
February 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM
im glad we have helped, thats why i like ubuntu, the community in general is great and will help where they can (helped me out no end)

im glad you are having a mess around with the css, i havent kept up to date with what css can do so im having to re-learn it as well, and i originally learned by playing around with bits of html and css.

im trying to add more comprehensive comments to the css, so that its easier to find the bits you want to edit.

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM
With enough comments there would little excuse for folks that are not scared of making thing look funny not to try and make it look the way they like.

Now if we just had a few extra tools to make it work the the way we like it would be a pretty nice thing.

I think we need the script for the "Buck Rodgers" special. It would be a great replacement for the default too.

That default is nasty to deal with. I have never had an experience like that in my life.

I have never liked dark themes but that is just mainly due to personal taste and they due strain my eyes a very little bit more. Not that one, it was just out to kill me. I would really like to know what it was that triggered my response. Very spooky.

techno-mole
February 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
i must admit i dont much like the default theme, if i was going for dark i would most likely use something like the grey theme i did or similar, im actually using the blue theme i made (the one i called marine) which i wouldnt normally go for, not a blue fan, but its growing on me.
maybe they stuck with a dark theme because there are load of dark themes about for various desktops, kde, xfce and such like and this would just sit nicely with those dark themes that loads of people (including me i guess) seem to like ? i guess they have a reason for it.

ive done a couple of web design courses (which is why im okay with css,well sort of) and one of the things we did cover was colouring, mainly what to avoid using on websites, and colours that make websites user friendly, solid black with white text wasnt recommended, neither where colours like greys with blue text and blue with grey text.

i did try to apply that thinking with the themes i did (and the ones i hope to do) that thinking being that people will need to use it with out getting eye strain and with out it causing illness of any sort, i think i managed ? well i think that the themes ive done so far need a little polishing, but as the software itself isnt yet complete then i can let myself off a little.

i like that the look is controlled by a style sheet basically (thats what they are called when used for a website) it makes it very easy to customize and just about everyone can learn it, ive tried learning python and such like so that i could adapt compiz and awn etc, but i couldnt get my head round it if im honest.

one point is that in order for themes to be used effectively i think an installation system will be needed, something simple like dragging an archive into a theme setting some where, like you can do with the appearance of gnome, or maybe it could be coded so that the gnome art application could also allow a user to view themes easily and then download and install the chosen themes in one hit, again like you can now.

With regard to the little bits of java script that need to be adjusted, i think the plan is to make that part of the css, which (in my opinion) would make it a very versatile bit of kit, and it also means that people could really make the thing look exactly how they wanted with a little bit of code, and again as its effectively written in java script and css a lot of people already know the code and it paves the way for some interesting possibilities with regards to developing it.

ronacc
February 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM
techno-mole's theme definately help the looks but I still don't find gnome-shell nearly as friendly as the normal desktop , 1 thing that is an absolute deal breaker for me is that accidentaly touching activity instantly switches to that view , I have my windows set up so that the close button is top left and a miniscule overshoot sends you into activities mode , no clicking required.

techno-mole
February 28th, 2010, 01:43 AM
techno-mole's theme definately help the looks but I still don't find gnome-shell nearly as friendly as the normal desktop , 1 thing that is an absolute deal breaker for me is that accidentaly touching activity instantly switches to that view , I have my windows set up so that the close button is top left and a miniscule overshoot sends you into activities mode , no clicking required.

i think it may be possible to change that, or at least the area that you have to mouse over to active the over view, i will have a look (most likely ask on the gnome shell mailing lists first, before i stuff it up) if not that may well be a future feature, i would like the ability to change where that " hot corner " can be placed, eg - any of the 4 corners of the screen, or even else where, i would also like to have a more comprehensive task manager, instead of the one it has that just shows 1 running application in the panel, but again these are things that will come with time.

OlyPerson
February 28th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I definitely agree with their choice to use CSS for styling. Not sure if any other desktop component uses it but it seriously simplify styling if all programs used it. That would allow for a more unified look and simplicity of use.

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I have decided that my video support still isn't quite up to it yet. It works as a desktop but I sure can't find any "hot corner". I have to whack on activities quite sharply, usually more than once to get a response.

I have not seen any sign of any notification area, or anything for that matter, below the workstation + button. Just an awful lot of wasted space that looks like it could be used far better.

The left panel is crazy. Takes up a huge amount of space.

Between the left and the bottom this must be a real joy on a screen any smaller than my 1440x900. There is just no more room for a display.

I really can't fathom the problem with drop down menus but they must be out of style for being too useful or some other good reason.

k3lt01
February 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
im trying to add more comprehensive comments to the css, so that its easier to find the bits you want to edit. Thanks for doing that, I had a look at your css and the oem css in meld and noticed your comments. It is very helpful to us learners to see what does what.

I think we need the script for the "Buck Rodgers" special. It would be a great replacement for the default too. Have I created a monster with my comment, lol.

Merk42
I have decided that my video support still isn't quite up to it yet. It works as a desktop but I sure can't find any "hot corner". I have to whack on activities quite sharply, usually more than once to get a response.
If the hot corner won't activate, you can click rather than whacking it.

I have not seen any sign of any notification area, or anything for that matter, below the workstation + button. Just an awful lot of wasted space that looks like it could be used far better.
I know currently it shows up for IMs, it seems it will also be for things like new mail and new songs, but I don't think it's been implemented yet.

Between the left and the bottom this must be a real joy on a screen any smaller than my 1440x900. There is just no more room for a display.

I really can't fathom the problem with drop down menus but they must be out of style for being too useful or some other good reason.
You do know that the overlay (the left panel) isn't supposed to be up the whole time right?

OlyPerson

I have 1024x600 resolution and it doesn't take up that much space. I think it works out surprisingly well on a netbook.

ronacc
February 28th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I'm with ranch hand as far as the amount of screen estate the left pannel takes up , see SS and that is with 1920X1080 res , I also agree with techno-mole about the single item task manager , it makes no sense . BTW thanks techno-mole for looking into that .

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks for doing that, I had a look at your css and the oem css in meld and noticed your comments. It is very helpful to us learners to see what does what.

Have I created a monster with my comment, lol.
I do not think so. I would just kind of like to have it.

It certainly looks better than the default and some serious time was put into it. I think it might be FUN.

You have to admit that if you had that up on your box and someone came in they would really wonder what you were using (as they would with any look you have on GS).

Say what you like about GS, it is different.

OlyPerson
February 28th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Why would you care about it using that much space while in the overview? You can't use applications while in it anyway so I'm not seeing why it would matter.

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Merk42
Yes I am aware that it goes away. It is still a waste of space. I really like 6 workstations. Kind of hard to see what is on them on my screen.

I know what is on them so that doesn't really matter to me. In that case why have the display?

Use about half the space currently hogged by things better put in a menu, and you woudl have room for the display to actually work.

Thanks for the info on the notification area. I do not IM so that probably explains that.

If I "sharply" click, once to three times on applications it will acttivate. If I do a normal click up to 10 times (the most I have tried) there is no response at all. Once I have my workspaces set up this is not too big a problem with the functionality of Alt+Tab, which I think I could get used to using.

I have to be gone most of next week and need to prepare things here for that to be smooth but I need to recompile nautilus to get the tabs back where they belong. I made the mistake of trying this on my main testing OS and was lucky not to screw it up.

When I get back I am going to try it again on the GS install. This will give me a little time on the bugger actually doing something. Ought to give me an idea if I can get into using it or not. I think, with some improvements, I could. I am kind of surprised that I am looking forward to spending some real time on it.

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Why would you care about it using that much space while in the overview? You can't use applications while in it anyway so I'm not seeing why it would matter.
If you can't really see the individual workstations they are pointless. In which case the display should go and leave room for more stuff to be on that area.

Basically I feel, right now, that screen is badly flawed. The only purpose it seems to have is to entertain folks by zooming in and out, fairly pointlessly, when its functions san be handled better by the drop down style menus of the panels we now use.

Now, this is still early days and a lot of this could change tomorrow. There is a long time before this bugger is released and then it may be a bit more before it is really used. It may be quite a different animal by then.

I haven't been able to see it before now but I have been following this thread and it is appearent that it has changed a lot in a fairly short period of time.

I think it will improve.

shafin
February 28th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Uninstall gir1.0-mutter-2.28, it'll uninstall gnome-shell too.
Then install gnome-shell, it'll install gir1.0-mutter-2.29

aviramof
February 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Will there be a replacement for compiz?

because if not i don't think i would ever use it period.:)

kyleabaker
February 28th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Likewise. I've grown to love Compiz and wouldn't accept anything less.

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 06:53 AM

I hope not. Can't stand compiz.

k3lt01
February 28th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Say what you like about GS, it is different.I like G-S, alot. It is my default on my desktop, it is still to hungry to use easily on my laptop though.

I like what Techno Mole has been doing with the css and will have a play with it myself to see if I can make it look like an extension of my normal 2.x look.

Roasted
February 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM

I hope so. Currently I don't believe there is but I'm hoping there will be some sort of plugins that could be adapted to it.

I hope not. Can't stand compiz.

lol? There's one -1. The overwelming majority would hope that something would exist, though.

Sashin
February 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Compiz is awesome, non-wobbly windows don't seem right for me anymore.

k3lt01
February 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
lol? There's one -1. The overwelming majority would hope that something would exist, though.Here's another -1. It serves no useful purpose on any of my machines and stops programs like Google Earth working properly (being a teacher I have found Google Earth is very effective in teaching Geography).

To me, and I'll be quite frank about it, Compiz and apps like it are there for people who need to be entertained by visually appealing (to them) tricks. I don't need or want window wobbles or any of the other effects that Compiz enables. They don't make my machines easier to use or more suitable for anything I do.

aviramof
February 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Compiz is awesome, non-wobbly windows don't seem right for me anymore.

i think so too one of the most intersting things in ubuntu is compiz wobbly windows and dodge effect and the cube and etc can't do without them
anymore:)

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Here's another -1. It serves no useful purpose on any of my machines and stops programs like Google Earth working properly (being a teacher I have found Google Earth is very effective in teaching Geography).

To me, and I'll be quite frank about it, Compiz and apps like it are there for people who need to be entertained by visually appealing (to them) tricks. I don't need or want window wobbles or any of the other effects that Compiz enables. They don't make my machines easier to use or more suitable for anything I do.
I realize that I am in the minority on this but I sure an glad I'm not alone. At least you can do with out it easily.

It probably would be good to give the sensor deprived the choice to have their fun.

keth
February 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
So, with all the great commenting in the .css file from techno-mole, I tossed together this theme... just so you guys will have another choice if you want to use it. Perhaps we should consider a gnome-shell themes thread somewhere?

k3lt01
February 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I realize that I am in the minority on this but I sure an glad I'm not alone. At least you can do with out it easily.Hey, I have never been one to go with the flow. I'm very much an individual that's see no use in being another clone of of the majority rule ;) I use Linux after all.

It probably would be good to give the sensor deprived the choice to have their fun.I agree but I have my voice and I plan to use it.

Perhaps we should consider a gnome-shell themes thread somewhere?Excellent idea :D

ranch hand
February 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM
So, with all the great commenting in the .css file from techno-mole, I tossed together this theme... just so you guys will have another choice if you want to use it. Perhaps we should consider a gnome-shell themes thread somewhere?
Oh my, it is green.

I like green.

I am going to have to have at least one more 10.04 install so I can check all these out and screw with them on my own.

Thanks a lot.