PDA

View Full Version : Will you be upgrading to Lucid when the toolchain is uploaded?

collinp
October 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
As the title says, will you be upgrading to Lucid (or what's of it at the time) when the toolchain gets uploaded on November 5th?

I know I will, since I'm pretty much insane :D.

W2IBC
October 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
i might... not real sure.

really wish the repos were faster. currently trying to upgrade my main box from kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 4.5 hours later its still getting new packages only 50% done 535 of 1147 dl speed of 13.2KB/s

every other place i can download at 500KB/s up to 1.2MB/s its rather pathedic and been like this for at least a month, and im not the only one noticing the slow d/l speed from ubuntu

23meg
October 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
No. Since I'm not a toolchain hacker, there's not going to be much worth testing before UDS.

NCLI
October 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
i might... not real sure.

really wish the repos were faster. currently trying to upgrade my main box from kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 4.5 hours later its still getting new packages only 50% done 535 of 1147 dl speed of 13.2KB/s

every other place i can download at 500KB/s up to 1.2MB/s its rather pathedic and been like this for at least a month, and im not the only one noticing the slow d/l speed from ubuntu
1. This is probably due to the rush of new users leading up to the release.
2. You should try this (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/07/02/automatically-find-fastest-repository-server-in-ubuntu-804/).

Oh, and I will definitely be upgrading on November 5th :D

autocrosser
October 30th, 2009, 01:58 AM
From Dapper forward I have started as soon as I could--I like seeing the process from first upload to last--Can't wait to see how the Lynx works out!!!

dualscreenman
October 30th, 2009, 02:55 AM
From what I've heard the toolchain modifications should be less aggressive this time around due to it being an LTS, so I may upgrade shortly after the toolchain is uploaded. I upgraded sometime near alpha 1 for 9.10 and had no issues. (Your mileage may vary, of course)

ronacc
October 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I always like to begin at the beginning .

caryb
October 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I always like to begin at the beginning .

Me too, cant start early enough. Mind you this 2 weeks in between are rough, I guess it's like a druggie with withdrawls.

Cary

ikt
October 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
No. Since I'm not a toolchain hacker, there's not going to be much worth testing before UDS.

This for me, since I do *a lot* of things I like to keep a watch over bugs that directly affect me, that way when the release comes around hopefully they should all be fixed.

gnomeuser
October 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I have decided to accept a position on the development team of a smaller distro so unfortunately I won't have much time to join the fun this time around. I do hope the rest of you have a nice and trouble free ride though.

ronacc
October 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
@gnomeuser Good luck in your new endeavor , your insightful input will be missed .

dino99
October 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
ready to change asap coz i'm not happy with karmic

slakkie
October 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I have decided to accept a position on the development team of a smaller distro so unfortunately I won't have much time to join the fun this time around. I do hope the rest of you have a nice and trouble free ride though.

Which distro if I may ask?

autocrosser
October 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Which one??? And LUCK to you!!!!

autocrosser
October 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
HERE WE GO!!!!!!

base-files (5.0.0ubuntu8) lucid; urgency=low

* /etc/issue, /etc/issue.net, /etc/lsb-release: Welcome to Lucid!

-- Colin Watson < cjwatson at ubuntu.com (https://launchpad.net/%7Ecjwatson)> Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:39:07 +0000

Note>Colin's email edited

plun
October 30th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Yes:D

ktp
October 31st, 2009, 03:27 AM

That's great...you will be missed here. Best of luck and have fun coding!!!

gnomeuser
October 31st, 2009, 12:17 PM
That's great...you will be missed here. Best of luck and have fun coding!!!

Oh I don't plan on leaving the forum, I just won't have time or available machinery to run Lucid. I will continue to hang out here and partake in observation and debate on the shaping of Ubuntu.

I will be doing Mono and assorted desktop work for Foresight Linux as soon as the FL3 cycle begins. It is in no way going to be as polished as Ubuntu is (at least not anytime soon, we lack the manpower) but the package management system is far more advanced.

For me though it is more about finding a place where I agree with the technical decisions and finding some place that is currently small but full of potential which I can help shape.

nhandler
October 31st, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure yet whether I'll upgrade. At the early stages of the release cycle, Ubuntu becomes very unstable. Uploads are happening at a fast pace, and it is very easy for a bad upload to make Ubuntu temporarily unusable. There is also nothing stopping me from developing for Ubuntu while running Karmic. I might just install Lucid in a virtual machine in order to watch it progress, but wait to actually install it until later in the release cycle.

Starks
October 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM
1. This is probably due to the rush of new users leading up to the release.
2. You should try this (http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/07/02/automatically-find-fastest-repository-server-in-ubuntu-804/).

Oh, and I will definitely be upgrading on November 5th :D
The mirror searching tool is rubbish. I live in NY and it gave me a slow European mirror.

Just pick the closest college/university mirror.

xebian
November 1st, 2009, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure yet whether I'll upgrade. At the early stages of the release cycle, Ubuntu becomes very unstable. Uploads are happening at a fast pace, and it is very easy for a bad upload to make Ubuntu temporarily unusable. There is also nothing stopping me from developing for Ubuntu while running Karmic. I might just install Lucid in a virtual machine in order to watch it progress, but wait to actually install it until later in the release cycle.

It could be true for Ubuntu, but KDE releases has been quite good. Will we be getting 4.4, or 4.3.3 which is going to be released 11/3?

shafin
November 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
I'm going to upgrade my Karmic VM. I'll install Alpha 1 on a VM and then get it on my machine once beta comes out.

Kevbert
November 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'll update soon as it's about time I had a few system crashes...:D

ranch hand
November 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I clicked on no. I am doing it now.

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Oh I don't plan on leaving the forum, I just won't have time or available machinery to run Lucid. I will continue to hang out here and partake in observation and debate on the shaping of Ubuntu.

I will be doing Mono and assorted desktop work for Foresight Linux as soon as the FL3 cycle begins. It is in no way going to be as polished as Ubuntu is (at least not anytime soon, we lack the manpower) but the package management system is far more advanced.

For me though it is more about finding a place where I agree with the technical decisions and finding some place that is currently small but full of potential which I can help shape.

I was just browsing through the thread, and knew it was foresight before i saw this. Seems like your kind of distro :) Please keep us informed as to the progress of conary and the mono stack. I was actually heavily considering Foresight a while back thanks to it's rolling structure and conary. Great stuff and best of luck!

Will visit the project site more often.

ranch hand
November 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
This is one thing I love about linux. There is a release for just about every taste.

I tried foresight and I could not stand it. I do not know why, probably a personality fault.

Have FUN working on it. It is easier to enjoy your work if it is something you really can get behind.

sliketymo
November 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Call me a glutton.All set to go.

bcschmerker
November 3rd, 2009, 05:51 AM
At the first opportunity, delayed by unexpected budgetary problems in the family as of 3 November 2009. The 1995 Ford F-350 currently primary vehicle of a family business is in the shop for transmission diagnosis, and the repair bill could very well blow my planned budget for new SATA hard drives; I originally intended to do a clean install of the now-available 10alpha1 Lucid on up to four drives.