PDA

View Full Version : Please help new users with Ubuntu 9.10

Technoviking
October 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Please consider helping users with Ubuntu 9.10 for the next few days. It will be a few days before any work is done in Lucid, and we will have tons of people needed who are new to Ubuntu.

Many Thanks,
T-V

lovinglinux
October 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
+1

...and also seed the torrents.

NCLI
October 29th, 2009, 10:52 PM
About the torrents: Why, in the name of the SABDFL isn't there a torrent for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix???

Technoviking
October 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM
About the torrents: Why, in the name of the SABDFL isn't there a torrent for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix???

I downloaded UNR from a torrent?

http://ubuntu.cs.utah.edu/releases/9.10/ubuntu-9.10-netbook-remix-i386.iso.torrent

T-V

NCLI
October 30th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ok, so it IS there, but it sure isn't easy to find O.o

Joeb454
October 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM
The torrents are all listed at the bottom of the page. Something I struggle to remember every 6 months :)

sisco311
October 30th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, so it IS there, but it sure isn't easy to find O.o

the torrents are uploaded to:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

and the mirrors:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

and:
http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

andrewabc
October 30th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I definitely recommend 9.10 testing users to help out in the help forum as many people will have problems that we've all went through fixing/reporting.

I wonder when the 60 second countdown for shutdown debate will begin (since you have to edit a text file to get rid of it and no one knows about it, not even me without searching).

lisati
October 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM
+1

It might be a little while before I'm ready to jump in with 9.10 - preliminary checks with the help of a USB stick suggest that it's not playing nice with my machines and that I'll need to do some homework.

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I definitely recommend 9.10 testing users to help out in the help forum as many people will have problems that we've all went through fixing/reporting.

I wonder when the 60 second countdown for shutdown debate will begin (since you have to edit a text file to get rid of it and no one knows about it, not even me without searching).

Been doing that...but the questions keep flying fast! LOL:o

andrewabc
October 30th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Been doing that...but the questions keep flying fast! LOL:o

I keep pointing them to threads in the karmic testing board that was just closed as they answer common questions.

Mods should watch very closely for common questions and create sticky threads with answers.

1 question I just answered is whether GDM is themeable. It was in 9.04, but now in 9.10 it is apparently not. This is a difference that people will notice and wonder what happened.

danastasio
October 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is just hit spacebar as soon as the window pops up. Its still an odd (and kinda useless) feature, but all the same, spacebar is all it takes :P

andrewabc
October 30th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Honestly, the easiest thing to do is just hit spacebar as soon as the window pops up. Its still an odd (and kinda useless) feature, but all the same, spacebar is all it takes :P

Thanks for the tip, I figured Enter button might work, but never bothered trying.
Spacebar it is.

steveneddy
October 30th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Someone needs to let the less experienced users know that upgrading is bad and backup /fome and reinstall is the preferred method.

I am seeing lots of that issue already.

flipper9
October 30th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Someone needs to let the less experienced users know that upgrading is bad and backup /fome and reinstall is the preferred method.

I agree. There should be a sticky thread mentioning that backing up and a fresh install might be better in the long run.

novafluxx
October 31st, 2009, 02:42 AM
I keep pointing them to threads in the karmic testing board that was just closed as they answer common questions.

Mods should watch very closely for common questions and create sticky threads with answers.

1 question I just answered is whether GDM is themeable. It was in 9.04, but now in 9.10 it is apparently not. This is a difference that people will notice and wonder what happened.

Hate this...hope the next GDM is them-able ...

dino99
October 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
instead begging help after releasing a so buggy distro: don't boot, dont shutdown, & so on, karmic might not have this crappy grub2.

Do you think that's a clever idea for helping users to remove the specific karmic forum ?

flipper9
October 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
instead begging help after releasing a so buggy distro: don't boot, dont shutdown, & so on, karmic might not have this crappy grub2.

Do you think that's a clever idea for helping users to remove the specific karmic forum ?

I agree with you dino99, +1. Right now, any newcomer is unable to ask simple questions in the General Forum because of all the "Help..Karmic!!!" threads right now. A separate forum for "early adopters" and "growing pains" for Karmic would seem to be in order for the first two weeks after a release.

Maybe somone could re-open the Karmic development forum, and keep it open for the next two weeks and do the same after new releases?

andrewabc
October 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM
They need to have a sticky thread in help forums. Point them to the now closed karmic forum, and tell them to use forum tools to search the forum for their problem. Searching that specific forum is very helpful.

I've found two of my bugs in that forum I think . The sound power saving bug (solved), and GRUB hard drive thrashing bug (not solved).

slakkie
November 1st, 2009, 03:18 PM

How come upgrading is bad? Please do explain.

andrewabc
November 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
How come upgrading is bad? Please do explain.

Bigger chance of stuff not working.
Notice all the problems win7 upgraders are having?

Clean install has much less chance of something breaking. It's always been this way for pretty much every OS.

slakkie
November 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
You compare Ubuntu with win7. I'm not even going to answer that.

Schendje
November 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
Is it me or are 90% of the threads in Absolute Beginner Talk about GRUB and bootloading? :eek:

:P

andrewabc
November 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
You compare Ubuntu with win7. I'm not even going to answer that.

Sigh.

Some people upgrading to win7 from winxp/vista are having trouble.

Some people upgrading from jaunty to Karmic are having trouble.

With windows, linux and macOS (every OS) there is a larger chance of having trouble upgrading than doing a clean install. Attempting to migrate data, programs and other stuff to the new OS introduces more possibility of incompatibilities and other problems.

Those are facts. Get over it. Ubuntu is not perfect and shares many problems with other operating systems.

sisco311
November 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
never mind.

andrewabc
November 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
[citation needed]

Windows 7 Upgrade Struggle Continues (http://www.pcworld.com/article/181122/windows_7_upgrade_struggle_continues.html)

Mac OSX upgrade problems (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/12/19/mac-osx-upgrade-problems)

Installation & Upgrades ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333)
You're correct, I can't find any upgrade problems in that forum.

I happily use Ubuntu, but I'm not going to say it is perfect and there is no chance of upgrade problems and no one has ever experienced such things. It happens with every OS. If you think otherwise your delusional.

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM
It's true all over the world---Let's just fix everything we can until we have some work to dig into.........

autocrosser
November 1st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Is it me or are 90% of the threads in Absolute Beginner Talk about GRUB and bootloading? :P

Sure--anytime you do a major change on something there will be a learning curve--just some curves are steeper than others.....

The second highest thread is about the "new" GDM ******go figure ;)

exploder
November 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Lets just do the best we can to help people out. I have answered some posts about the panel in KDE 4, seems people like Kubuntu 9.10 but are not used to dealing with the set up of the panel.

There is a great guide for GRUB 2, it answers most peoples questions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Pass this on to people having problems or questions.

autocrosser
November 2nd, 2009, 01:36 AM
That and the blacklisted ath5k driver is causing fits with peoples wireless--/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ath_pci.conf

I've got several people's wireless to work again with commenting out the blacklist-ath_pci.

TerminX
November 2nd, 2009, 02:46 AM
I agree. There should be a sticky thread mentioning that backing up and a fresh install might be better in the long run.
Nonsense. My Ubuntu install actually predates Ubuntu by quite a bit... it started as a Knoppix installation in Jan or Feb 2003, became Debian unstable from there up until Ubuntu came along--there was a lot of Debian political drama at the time and a lot of packages in Debian unstable were getting really out of date--so I upgraded to Ubuntu from there simply to get newer versions of software.

Since then I have run whatever the current development repo for Ubuntu is, with the occasional updated packages from Debian unstable mixed in--packages without "ubuntu" in the Ubuntu repo package's version number have usually been safe to replace with their newer Debian counterparts in my experience. Not that I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing...

So, keeping all of that in mind, what's the issue people have with upgrading from one version of Ubuntu to another? Is it just a matter of end users having a general complete lack of knowledge when it comes to fixing things when there isn't a GUI to do it for them? If it's possible to migrate a single install over the years from kernel 2.4 -> 2.6, OSS to ALSA to ALSA plus PulseAudio, and from, well, pretty much every older technology found on Linux boxes to whatever is current now, upgrading between a couple of versions of the same distro with much less widespread changes between them should be trivial.

Reinstalls should never be a replacement for learning! Teach people to fix the relatively minor problems they encounter, not to waste a bunch of time blowing everything away preemptively to avoid them.

MacUntu
November 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Is it just a matter of end users having a general complete lack of knowledge when it comes to fixing things

Yes, and that's not going to change.

Reinstalls should never be a replacement for learning! Teach people to fix the relatively minor problems they encounter, not to waste a bunch of time blowing everything away preemptively to avoid them.

Installing Ubuntu takes me at most one hour. So the next 20 years it will take me ten hours to reinstall the latest LTS versions. Can I learn how to safely master my system in ten hours? More important: do I even want to know how to master my system?

Users not interested in learning should back up their home folders, try the dist-upgrade and if it fails (never happened to me with release-to-release upgrades) do a reinstall. Just because it's the easiest and fastest way (without making assumptions on the severity of eventual problems).

slakkie
November 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Sigh.

Some people upgrading to win7 from winxp/vista are having trouble.

Some people upgrading from jaunty to Karmic are having trouble.

With windows, linux and macOS (every OS) there is a larger chance of having trouble upgrading than doing a clean install. Attempting to migrate data, programs and other stuff to the new OS introduces more possibility of incompatibilities and other problems.

Those are facts. Get over it. Ubuntu is not perfect and shares many problems with other operating systems.

You present them as facts, but it is an opinion. The fact is that an upgrade is just as likely to blow up in your face as a fresh install.

Nonsense. My Ubuntu install actually predates Ubuntu by quite a bit... it started as a Knoppix installation in Jan or Feb 2003, became Debian unstable from there up until Ubuntu came along--there was a lot of Debian political drama at the time and a lot of packages in Debian unstable were getting really out of date--so I upgraded to Ubuntu from there simply to get newer versions of software.

Since then I have run whatever the current development repo for Ubuntu is, with the occasional updated packages from Debian unstable mixed in--packages without "ubuntu" in the Ubuntu repo package's version number have usually been safe to replace with their newer Debian counterparts in my experience. Not that I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing...

So, keeping all of that in mind, what's the issue people have with upgrading from one version of Ubuntu to another? Is it just a matter of end users having a general complete lack of knowledge when it comes to fixing things when there isn't a GUI to do it for them? If it's possible to migrate a single install over the years from kernel 2.4 -> 2.6, OSS to ALSA to ALSA plus PulseAudio, and from, well, pretty much every older technology found on Linux boxes to whatever is current now, upgrading between a couple of versions of the same distro with much less widespread changes between them should be trivial.

+many.

ranch hand
November 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Please consider helping users with Ubuntu 9.10 for the next few days. It will be a few days before any work is done in Lucid, and we will have tons of people needed who are new to Ubuntu.

Many Thanks,
T-V
AW, do we hafta?

We're on it, we're on it.

novafluxx
November 4th, 2009, 03:54 AM
AW, do we hafta?

We're on it, we're on it.

Thats what I was thinking :-) I don't like the other forums, seems like to much trolling going on out there, and in here I feel like I can ask anything and it'll be answered by somone knowledgeable. Out there, it'll fall off the front page in 5 minutes, probably without an answer...

andrewabc
November 4th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Thats what I was thinking :-) I don't like the other forums, seems like to much trolling going on out there, and in here I feel like I can ask anything and it'll be answered by somone knowledgeable. Out there, it'll fall off the front page in 5 minutes, probably without an answer...

I answer some questions, but then I never know if the person replied without having to find the thread (which could be on pag 15 if I don't check within a day). And having to go to my profile to open every thread to see if someone replied is a pain. Maybe a feature to show in my profile if someone replied to a thread I posted in (and not have to be notified by email)?

ranch hand
November 4th, 2009, 04:43 AM
But, we are the ones that have the knowledge (at least more than some of the rather bad advice I have seen out there) so we gotta do it.

ranch hand
November 4th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I answer some questions, but then I never know if the person replied without having to find the thread (which could be on pag 15 if I don't check within a day). And having to go to my profile to open every thread to see if someone replied is a pain. Maybe a feature to show in my profile if someone replied to a thread I posted in (and not have to be notified by email)?
Click on User CP. When you get there run down the left column to "list subscriptions" (near the bottom) click on it. The ones you haven't read are in bold print. I have it bookmarked and is where I come into the forums.

Gina
November 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have been a user of Ubuntu for quite a few years now and generally know how to fix things. Indeed many members here will recognise my name. However, I just cannot get 9.10 to install the grub boot loader - either into the MBR or into the partition containing the system. The reason for trying the latter was to enable me to dual boot with earlier versions. I get a message near the end of installing saying the it can't install the grub boot loader and that the system will therefore not boot (or words to that effect).

Some help would be appreciated - thank you :)

ranch hand
November 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I have been a user of Ubuntu for quite a few years now and generally know how to fix things. Indeed many members here will recognise my name. However, I just cannot get 9.10 to install the grub boot loader - either into the MBR or into the partition containing the system. The reason for trying the latter was to enable me to dual boot with earlier versions. I get a message near the end of installing saying the it can't install the grub boot loader and that the system will therefore not boot (or words to that effect).

Some help would be appreciated - thank you :)
How about starting a different thread. This sticky was just put here to keep our noses to the grind stone.

Gina
November 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
How about starting a different thread. This sticky was just put here to keep our noses to the grind stone.OK - I'll do that.

raygj
November 15th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I notice a lot of people upgrading to 9.10
find their wireless won't connect to their router.so they either compile a driver/module from a wireless card manufacturer' web site or they boot up with their old working wireless kernel or they install 'ndiswrapper' to get their wireless to connect.
I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 and had the same problem.on reboot my wireless card's 'world wireless domain zone' was set to CN (china)
I live in Australia. I used 'sudo iw reg get'
to find out my problem and 'sudo iw reg set AU'
to set my wireless domain zone to Australian channels/frequencies/TXpowerlevels/RX antenna preamp gain levels.
So is there someone, out there , who can write a informative 'sticky' post showing everyone how to do this?
everyone should be using the proper 9.10 wireless modules.

Dullstar
November 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I must ask what this topic is doing an the Lucid Lynx forum.

sisco311
November 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I must ask what this topic is doing an the Lucid Lynx forum.

It was/is addressed to the Lucid Lynx testers.

Gina
November 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Because this is where the experts hang out :lol: