Let the awesome games begin!:popcorn:

Oh yeah, first post, first thread! I made Ubunut history! WELCOME TO LUCID LYNX

ubername
October 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
let the awesome games begin!:popcorn:
+1

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm looking forward to LL. I'm currently with Jaunty and I'll probably upgrade to Karmic after a while but I am hoping to exert enough willpower (oohhh.. shiny..) and stick with the LTS until the next LTS release (2012).

cykotiktek
October 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have no will power I am a testing junky bring on the breakage!

sports fan Matt
As am I...Should I jump in right away? (everything I have is honestly stored) so I would be just importing things through bookmarks to get everything up and running. Both FF and Opera are synched in their own ways..Advice?

ikt
I'm looking forward to LL. I'm currently with Jaunty and I'll probably upgrade to Karmic after a while but I am hoping to exert enough willpower (oohhh.. shiny..) and stick with the LTS until the next LTS release (2012).

That's one of my problems, always want the latest and greatest :D

Joeb454
October 29th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I am hoping to exert enough willpower (oohhh.. shiny..) and stick with the LTS until the next LTS release (2012).

As far as I'm aware, the LTS releases are normally 2 years apart, which would make Lucid an LTS release. Though it's being skipped in favor of 10.10 to coincide with Debian's LTS-equivalent release :)

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
That's one of my problems, always want the latest and greatest :D

One of the things that jumped me to Jaunty was that Hardy couldn't handle my webcam.

So that means I can't try ANY other versions, even for ***** and giggles.

It also means I can't keep an eye on the Fedora release next week.. or openSUSE the week (or so) after that.... Argh!

jpeddicord
October 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
\o/

Can't wait to get going on the next series. :)

sports fan Matt
October 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
So then 10.10 will be an LTS?

zika
October 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Bring it on!

Merk42
October 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
As far as I'm aware, the LTS releases are normally 2 years apart, which would make Lucid an LTS release. Though it's being skipped in favor of 10.10 to coincide with Debian's LTS-equivalent release :)

Are you saying Lucid is not an LTS? If so, source?

Joeb454
October 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Are you saying Lucid is not an LTS? If so, source?

I believe it was mentioned in the 10.04 announcement video by sabdfl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw

celticbhoy
October 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I also thought 10.04 was to be a LTS. But haven't really been checking it out too much..

Merk42
October 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I believe it was mentioned in the 10.04 announcement video by sabdfl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw

1 minute and 40 seconds in he says its an LTS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw#t=1m39s)
EDIT: 2 minutes 54 seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw#t=2m54s) is a full sentence so you know it's 10.04 and not 10.10

Sandsound
October 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
bring it on!

+1 \\:d/

Joeb454
October 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
My mistake then - sorry :)

Not sure where I got that from now :confused:

whoop
October 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM

No worries. I seem to have heard it as well, in various places. Don't remember if any of em where official or trustworthy.

jpeddicord
October 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM

There were talks about 10.10 being the LTS; I know where you got it from. :D

Seventh Reign
October 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Hardy was the previous LTS, not Jaunty.

Slug71
October 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
So then 10.10 will be an LTS?

No, Lucid Lynx 10.04 will be LTS. See Release Schedule sticky.

Dragonbite
October 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hardy was the previous LTS, not Jaunty.

Yeah, I know. I moved from Hardy to Jaunty for my webcam and I may move to Karmic but when I reach the next LTS (10.04) then I hope to stay there until the NEXT LTS one comes out in 2012.

jpeddicord
October 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I know. I moved from Hardy to Jaunty for my webcam and I may move to Karmic but when I reach the next LTS (10.04) then I hope to stay there until the NEXT LTS one comes out in 2012.

First to place a bet that you won't. ;)

Squonk07
October 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I was reading a thread in the old Karmic forum, left it for a moment, came back and tried to page through it, only to discover that the entire forum had been removed! Kinda eerie. I suspected what had happened, and this thread confirms it.

Bring on Lucid Lynx, or Loungechair Lizard, or Licentious Leprechaun, or whatever we're calling it these days. ;)

Sandsound
October 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM

lol... Been telling myself that ever since Hardy... LTS only from now on, but my fingers start to itch whenever I see there's a new alpha :-)

ViRMiN
October 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I was reading a thread in the old Karmic forum, left it for a moment, came back and tried to page through it, only to discover that the entire forum had been removed! Kinda eerie. I suspected what had happened, and this thread confirms it.

Bring on Lucid Lynx, or Loungechair Lizard, or Licentious Leprechaun, or whatever we're calling it these days. ;)

You should have posted up, "Is LL released yet? I can only find KK ISOs!", :) I went on that Launch Party IRC channel this morning and the amount of eager downloaders was mad, all asking the same question over and over.

Kind of an anti-climax is release day when you've been through the fun of the alphas, etc. Or is that just me? It's like Christmas Day when you got your present early, you only have the little packages to look forward to!

Ho-hum, bring on the breakage, I've got partitions ready and waiting!

shafin
October 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hello boys, hows it going?

celticbhoy
October 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
You should have posted up, "Is LL released yet? I can only find KK ISOs!", :) I went on that Launch Party IRC channel this morning and the amount of eager downloaders was mad, all asking the same question over and over.

Kind of an anti-climax is release day when you've been through the fun of the alphas, etc. Or is that just me? It's like Christmas Day when you got your present early, you only have the little packages to look forward to!

Yeah, thats it in a nutshell - not even any updates today.

I'll just keep an eye on this forum for the pre-alpha release, already setup a new partition with a fresh Karmic ready and waiting to updated into oblivion.

NCLI
October 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yahooo!! A new testing forum!!!! :D :D :D :D

DougieFresh4U
October 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll just keep an eye on this forum for the pre-alpha release, already setup a new partition with a fresh Karmic ready and waiting to updated into oblivion.

Got that partition just waiting here. :p
Also I am using the .32 kernel on 2 of my partitions (for use with edgers ppa), will that be the kernel that Lucid is gonna start with?

afv
October 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Let's enjoy a new ride! ;)

novafluxx
October 30th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Maybe I should make this the Welcome to Lucid Lynx thread! :-)

renkinjutsu
October 30th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Think of it this way... You got your Christmas shopping done, ahead of the Black Friday crowd -- Canonical servers are gonna be hit HARD, and you've already got your packages downloaded ;)

inportb
October 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Think of it this way... You got your Christmas shopping done, ahead of the Black Friday crowd -- Canonical servers are gonna be hit HARD, and you've already got your packages downloaded ;)

Not for me; I went ahead and religiously installed the final image, even though I already had an up-to-date system. It feels good to have a fresh setup :)

Oh yeah. 'sup y'all? Just thought I'd say hi even though I might not install LL until a middle alpha.

novafluxx
October 31st, 2009, 02:41 AM
Not for me; I went ahead and religiously installed the final image, even though I already had an up-to-date system. It feels good to have a fresh setup :)

Oh yeah. 'sup y'all? Just thought I'd say hi even though I might not install LL until a middle alpha.

I'm probably gonna see what Alpha 1's "Known Issues" are before I decide to take the plunge or not. If there some stuff in there I can't cope with, I'll wait for Alpha 2, and so on ;)

NCLI
October 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Yippee!!!! Welcome to Lucid Everyone!!
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ugWCk2EgoSI/Suwzg9IIryI/AAAAAAAAIHU/nBSWvOg-_n8/s800/Screenshot-5.png

vishalrao
October 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
@OP (zekopeko) - yep, zsync/rsync/delta-debs is the one im looking forward to too! perhaps it could be updated for karmic as well lets see...

edit: oops, ignore, posted in wrong thread...

mrsurb
October 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I love a fresh install - it fixed three issues (hibernate, pulseaudio, date weirdness in evolution) for me. So once I have everything in karmic set up the way I like, I'll clone it and dual-boot karmic/lucid.

novafluxx
October 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Now I can't decide...KDE or GNOME... :-) I'm a little weary about GTK3 and Gnome 3/Gnome shell

Vanishing
November 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
woot...
vanishing@Vanishing:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu lucid (development branch)"
vanishing@Vanishing:~$

Kevbert
November 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
woot...
vanishing@Vanishing:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu lucid (development branch)"
vanishing@Vanishing:~$

Thanks for the command. I forgot that
uname -a doesn't work here...

ranch hand
November 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Well, we are back.

Let us have some FUN.

ranch hand
November 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I too now have a Lounge Lizard installation and am working on a second one upgraded from Stoner Edition 1.0.

I think those two will do me this time, instead or the 13 Kinky Kitties I "needed" last round.

The FUN begins.

wildweathel
November 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm in too. Karmic beta was fun; I'm excited to play with a whole development cycle. I've got 2G of ram, apt-cacher, debootstrap, LVM, and some crazy ideas about virtual machines that can be booted for hardware testing.

By the way, Mr. Hand has the best codenames.

Squonk07
November 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
I couldn't resist. I'm still calling it Licentious Leprechaun (though I really like Lounge Lizard), and now I've got a test partition all fired up and source-shifted.

I've never been on board so early. It should be a great learning experience, and it should make up for the lull in excitement in Karmic I was feeling since around the beta.

Bring on the borkination!

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
If all goes well, I may have my laptop set up to easily switch hard drives (as easy as changing a game cartridge in an old Atari).

Maybe I'll try following Luscious Lips earlier with one.