PDA

View Full Version : os.system('ls -a')

jesuisbenjamin
October 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hello there,

i am new to programming and am beginning with Python. Now i am playing around with some scripts to practice and learn along.

I wanted to run a simple command

os.system('ls -a')
The funny thing is that when i run ls -a manually in the shell i get the 'coloured' version where eg. folders are in blue font, whereas when i run the same command from my script there are no colours/legend.

I guess this leads me to ask three questions:

How come it doesn't show colours whilst using the script?
(Assuming it is due to the module: ) Is there an alternative to os.system() to execute shell command-lines?
How can i find out what module i should use when i just have an idea of what i want to do? For example: suppose i want a module to search for files, how can i come to know there is a module for this and what its name would be?

Thanks

Arndt
October 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hello there,

i am new to programming and am beginning with Python. Now i am playing around with some scripts to practice and learn along.

I wanted to run a simple command

os.system('ls -a')
The funny thing is that when i run ls -a manually in the shell i get the 'coloured' version where eg. folders are in blue font, whereas when i run the same command from my script there are no colours/legend.

I guess this leads me to ask three questions:

How come it doesn't show colours whilst using the script?
(Assuming it is due to the module: ) Is there an alternative to os.system() to execute shell command-lines?
How can i find out what module i should use when i just have an idea of what i want to do? For example: suppose i want a module to search for files, how can i come to know there is a module for this and what its name would be?

Thanks

You can force coloring by using "ls --color".

'ls' detects whether stdout is a terminal, so for example "ls > filelist" also doesn't color. Apparently python does something so that the output from os.system isn't identical to stdout.

NovaAesa
October 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Also in your terminal, there is a chance that you have an alias so that when you type in 'ls' it actually is converted to 'ls -color'. I don't think python would pick these aliases up. This could have something to do with it, I'm not 100% sure, but it's something for you to look into.

Arndt
October 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Also in your terminal, there is a chance that you have an alias so that when you type in 'ls' it actually is converted to 'ls -color'. I don't think python would pick these aliases up. This could have something to do with it, I'm not 100% sure, but it's something for you to look into.

Yes, that's the case for me anyway (not that I chose it to be that way). What I said about detecting a terminal doesn't apply, sorry.

geirha
October 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Assuming it is due to the module: ) Is there an alternative to os.system() to execute shell command-lines?

The subprocess module allows you to run processes and to send and read data from them.
help('subprocess')

Well, there's the library reference http://docs.python.org/library/index.html. You can also search modules (and their descriptions) from the python interactive shell

help('modules searchterm')
In the case of an ls-equivalent, see os.listdir() «help('os.listdir')»

ghostdog74
October 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
use Python's own directory listing function instead of calling ls from your script. Make your script portable.

lukeiamyourfather
October 29th, 2009, 12:36 AM
My guess is the Python interpreter doesn't care what colour the output is. Why not just use this instead.

import os
myDir = "/usr"
fileList = os.listdir(myDir)
for file in fileList:
print file

Do whatever you want with the list of files, organise it, filter it, etc. Don't get hung up on the specifics like the colour of the text from the terminal because it doesn't really matter. Cheers!

Martin Witte
October 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The system command doesn“t execute the alias but the actual ls command as found in the path. Example below shows an alias isn't found by os.system

martin@toshibap200:~$ alias p=ls
martin@toshibap200:~$ python
Python 2.6.4rc2 (r264rc2:75497, Oct 20 2009, 02:55:11)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import os
>>> os.system('p')
sh: p: not found
>>>

Martin Witte
October 29th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, that's the case for me anyway (not that I chose it to be that way). What I said about detecting a terminal doesn't apply, sorry.

This is set in ~/.bashrc (http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/sect_03_01.html#sect_03_01_02_04) in your home directory in a default ubuntu user setup