PDA

View Full Version : Can you explain me how my Hello World program works?

0xABC123
October 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hello!

This program (testapp):

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int number = 5;

void sayhello()
{
printf( "Hello world!\n" );
}

int main()
{
sayhello();
printf( "Number: 0x%x:%d\n", (unsigned)&number, number );
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
Gives this output:

Hello world!
Number: 0x601028:5
So the memory address of number is 0x601028. I tried to write a program which overwrites number with something else, and came up with this (test2):

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/ptrace.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <sys/syscall.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main()
{
pid_t child = fork();
char who[8];

if ( child == 0 )
{
strcpy( who, "Child" );
printf( "Child started\n" );

ptrace( PTRACE_TRACEME, 0, NULL, NULL );
int ok = execl( "./bin/testapp", "testapp", NULL );

if ( ok == -1 )
fprintf( stderr, "Failed to execute, reason: %s\n", strerror(errno) );
else
printf( "Success!\n" );

}
else
{
strcpy( who, "Parent" );
printf( "Parent started\n" );

ptrace( PTRACE_POKEDATA, child, (void*)0x601028, 10 );

int status = 0;
waitpid( child, &status, 0 );
}

fflush( stdout );
fflush( stderr );
printf( "%s returned\n", who );
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
Sometimes test2 gives this output when I run it in terminal (child started before parent??):

Child started
Parent started
Parent returned
Hello world!
Number: 0x601028:10
And sometimes it gives this output (parent started before child, but number is 5??):

Parent started
Child started
Parent returned
Hello world!
Number: 0x601028:5
Why output isn't always the same? And why it never prints "Success" and "Child returned"? I don't understand.

dwhitney67
October 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
One application is not going to be able to affect the memory of another application. That's the whole purpose of a Memory Mgmt Unit; to prevent an application from stepping over memory that is outside of its program space.

As for the address you are attempting to write to, it is not a physical address, but instead a virtual memory address (or something to that effect).

Anyhow, if you need to write to another app's memory space, consider creating a shared-memory space (that both apps share).

lisati
October 28th, 2009, 07:38 PM
One program isn't usually allowed to access another's memory space (including variables), unless you make special arrangements to do so. The subject of inter-process communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication) is a rich one, and involves more than can easily be learned with a simple "hello world" style program.

0xABC123
October 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Anyhow, if you need to write to another app's memory space, consider creating a shared-memory space (that both apps share).

One program isn't usually allowed to access another's memory space (including variables), unless you make special arrangements to do so. The subject of inter-process communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication) is a rich one, and involves more than can easily be learned with a simple "hello world" style program.
I don't think that's possible if the other program is a closed-source win32 exe which I run using wine.

Edit: The original question was, why and how my program does what it does?

Arndt
October 28th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I don't think that's possible if the other program is a closed-source win32 exe which I run using wine.

Edit: The original question was, why and how my program does what it does?

If an execl succeeds, no code after it will be run. You have replaced the code completely with another program. That's why you don't see Child returned, or Success.

Sometimes the output is 5, and sometimes 10. When it's 5, it's probably because the poke happened before the execl.

0xABC123
October 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Why doesn't ptrace( PTRACE_TRACEME, 0, NULL, NULL ); halt the execution of HelloWorld thread until it calls execl?

Arndt
October 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Why doesn't ptrace( PTRACE_TRACEME, 0, NULL, NULL ); halt the execution of HelloWorld thread until it calls execl?

How do you mean "halt until"? If you halt it, how does it reach the execl call?

What happens can probably be explained by this: when a process makes a system call, it's eligible for a context switch, and if some other process wants to run, that process is then continued. Since a process could hog the processor indefinitely doing calculations, a context switch also happens after a certain time (second, tenth of second - I don't know). If there were only these two processes running, they would probably run in lock-step, each going to the next system call in each step. But there are many other processes, and one can't really know in which order things happen here, unless there is some explicit synchronization.