PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Geforce 8800 not recognised

.James
October 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I am very, very confused. Just getting started with Ubuntu - ran the LiveCD a couple of times and played around installing drivers for my graphics card - all fine. However, now I've installed it to my HDD ("it" being 9.04), the GPU isn't listed in the Hardware Drivers section.

I've googled to find similar problems - but my main issue is that I can't see any logical reason why this would be the case. The card works (the display is plugged into it), I just want to install the correct drivers for it. Can anyone help?

wojox
October 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Try this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1125400

philinux
October 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I am very, very confused. Just getting started with Ubuntu - ran the LiveCD a couple of times and played around installing drivers for my graphics card - all fine. However, now I've installed it to my HDD ("it" being 9.04), the GPU isn't listed in the Hardware Drivers section.

I've googled to find similar problems - but my main issue is that I can't see any logical reason why this would be the case. The card works (the display is plugged into it), I just want to install the correct drivers for it. Can anyone help?

Probably because the system needs to be updated first,

Open a terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then try sys>admin>hardware drivers.

ukripper
October 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'd agree with philinux to update the system first and go from there!

.James
October 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thankyou very much - will try that later.