PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router, I have admin password but not network password

tc101
October 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have a Netgear Rangemax Wireless router that was set up by someone else. I have the admin login and password. I do not have the password for the wireless network. There is one laptop that is set up to get on to the wireless network and it works fine. How can I get the password for the wireless network so I can make other connections to it?

albandy
October 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Connect it to your computer by a network cable, enter the admin zone and change the wifi key.

tc101
October 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Connect it to your computer by a network cable, enter the admin zone and change the wifi key.

OK, I'm in the admin zone. I see the Security Encryption (WEP) Key. There is a button there to generate passphrase. If I just push that button will it give me a password for that key? Is the passphrase the same as a password? I would rather not change the key because I am afraid I might mess up something on the laptop that already connects to the wifi network.

albandy
October 28th, 2009, 04:27 PM
OK, I'm in the admin zone. I see the Security Encryption (WEP) Key. There is a button there to generate passphrase. If I just push that button will it give me a password for that key? Is the passphrase the same as a password? I would rather not change the key because I am afraid I might mess up something on the laptop that already connects to the wifi network.

make and screenshot and put it here

tc101
October 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
deleted

tc101
October 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I need to go out. Will check back in a few hours. Thanks for your help.

albandy
October 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think the wifi key is "key 1" value, but I see that you're using 64 bit WEP encryption. This is so dangerous, crack this kind of encryption it's about seconds or minutes.

I recommend you to use wpa2-psk[aes]

tc101
October 29th, 2009, 12:52 AM
That was it. Thanks.

tc101
October 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I see that you're using 64 bit WEP encryption. This is so dangerous, crack this kind of encryption it's about seconds or minutes.

I recommend you to use wpa2-psk[aes]

If I make that change, do I have to change anything on the lap top that uses that connection?

If I make that change, will the connection be slower?

albandy
October 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Probably it will ask you for the new wpa key.
I don't think it will be slower.