PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer wont turn on

md389
October 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hey fellas, I have a heartbreaking one for you. So yesterday my computer was working fine but Im moving to a house without ethernet ports next week so I decided to install a pci wireless card in my desktop. Bad idea I guess. I open up the case, put the card in and turned on the computer. Nothing. The fan doesnt turn on. No sign of life whatsoever. So I take the card out and try again also with no results. What is going on? Lets assume that I didnt do something silly like accidentally unplug something while digging around in there or forgot to turn the pc power on. Thoughts?

jimmio
October 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Check the wires running to the power button and the 20/24 pin power connector going to the motherboard. If they're both in place, what I'd do is remove the 20/24 pin power connector from the motherboard (there's a clip on the side to remove it), and take a paperclip and jump the green wire going into the clip thing with a black one in the 20pin section. If you see/hear the PSU power up even briefly, it's safe to say the PSU is good, so look elsewhere. Note: I'm not responsible for your PSU getting broken from you accidentally jumping the wrong wires, so be careful.

If you don't see/hear your PSU turn on, then it's likely shot. Replace and your computer should magically be fixed xP

quimkaos
October 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Check the wires running to the power button and the 20/24 pin power connector going to the motherboard. If they're both in place, what I'd do is remove the 20/24 pin power connector from the motherboard (there's a clip on the side to remove it), and take a paperclip and jump the green wire going into the clip thing with a black one in the 20pin section. If you see/hear the PSU power up even briefly, it's safe to say the PSU is good, so look elsewhere. Note: I'm not responsible for your PSU getting broken from you accidentally jumping the wrong wires, so be careful.

If you don't see/hear your PSU turn on, then it's likely shot. Replace and your computer should magically be fixed xP

my first idea too, but i was not going to try to electrocute you... hahaha just kiding... it's a good way to test if PSU is working but the best way is to find another PSU to test on the PC... you should try to do this in a computer shop near you or with help of a tech. consider yourself lucky because the last PC i went to fix with a broken PSU the owner had it almost blowned in his face when he plugged the power cord. The result was a burned mother board. But that's probably not your case.

Check the connection jumpers. It's easier that you pulled one (the power button). they are usually on the bottom right conner of the motherboard. if it's not pulled up identify your power button jumper (usually has pwr or pwrbt written) and try to chant it with your screw driver. if it boots up all is fine and you have now to identify the problem!

Iowan
October 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
There's also the fuse, but that probably means opening up the PS... and they usually don't blow just from opening up the case.