PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Ubuntu

ctc26
October 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
My transition to Ubuntu was rather superficial. I was customising XP (installing plenty of third-party apps) when I stumbled upon a YouTube video of Hardy Heron with flashy Compiz effects. So I spent the next week or so investigating this thing called the "linux kernel" and "Ubuntu". For some reason I disliked hearing about why Ubuntu was so much better than Windows. I guess operating systems are a very personal thing, a kin to religion. I did not want to acknowledge the idea that I might have been computing the "wrong way" for all those years.

I eventually switched because of the lack of disk fragmenting issues and malware on Ubuntu. I encourage others to do the same, but most are extremely resistance to change. Die hard windows fans are being particularly slanderous at the moment because Ubuntu has received a lot of media attention of late. I guess they too fear the idea of having chosen the "wrong way". Maybe a truly successful transition to Ubuntu must be done solo, so the user isn't confronted with the inevitable "I told you so!"

dunbrokin
October 27th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the future!

stinger30au
October 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
i dont miss windows at all

the best thing about ubuntu is the fact that my pentium 4 3.4 Ghz cpu with 2 gig of ram is *ALWAYS* damn quick and no need for me to shell out extra cash and upgrade every time a new o/s is released

lovein ubuntu

mybunche
October 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It actually took me over a year to move from Windows XP to Ubuntu. It takes a while to let new programs sink into your mind but I think this is the best way as the change is lasting. Ubuntu is my OS now, so that if it doesn't work with Ubuntu then it's not for me. I still have XP on my first hard drive and that is used only for format portable USB drives when I get them with NTFS.

A gradual changing over to Ubuntu is the best. Trying Ubuntu for a week, cold turkey, most likely will end in disappointment.

MasterNetra
October 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM
It actually took me over a year to move from Windows XP to Ubuntu. It takes a while to let new programs sink into your mind but I think this is the best way as the change is lasting. Ubuntu is my OS now, so that if it doesn't work with Ubuntu then it's not for me. I still have XP on my first hard drive and that is used only for format portable USB drives when I get them with NTFS.

A gradual changing over to Ubuntu is the best. Trying Ubuntu for a week, cold turkey, most likely will end in disappointment.

Cold Turkey isn't necessary you can dual boot both until your comfortable with Ubuntu. Or install Ubuntu under Windows, Or run windows xp in a Virtual Machine. If you find going Cold Turkey to hard, you can trying getting used to Ubuntu in sessions and when you feel a little too over-whelmed/uncomfortable/etc you could boot into windows and do your stuff until your ready for another session with Ubuntu. Just a suggestion of course. ^.^